Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Apparently a company called Hobby Star is doing a 1/100 Avalanche Astraea

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Samueldecal/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10155919228526897

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

Can anyone here recommend some good sanding sticks? I have metal files but they seem to be a little too rough.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

JamesWestfall posted:

Can anyone here recommend some good sanding sticks? I have metal files but they seem to be a little too rough.

a nail buffer stick like this is a decent solution for easily accessible nubs, and gluing sandpaper to popsicle sticks works for harder to reach points.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

So building an MG Gouf Custom. Cool model, tons of colored plastic, and of course stress marks despite my best efforts. I'm looking to get some gundam markers to do some touchups but I'm not sure what colors to necessarily get. Does anyone have some recs?

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 18, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

JamesWestfall posted:

Squadron sanding sticks are nice and have some flex to them, but you can always superglue strips of sandpaper to popsicle sticks if you want to save a bunch of $.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

So building an MG Gouf Custom. Cool model, tons of colored plastic, and of course stress marks despite my best efforts. I'm looking to get some gundam markers to do some touchups but I'm not sure what colors to necessarily get. Does anyone have a recs?

Stress marks can be avoided by cutting closer to the runner than the part and then using an exacto knife to cut away the nub. The best blade I’ve found is the z-series.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Stress marks can be avoided by cutting closer to the runner than the part and then using an exacto knife to cut away the nub. The best blade I’ve found is the z-series.

Yep, that's what I've been doing, but sometimes you screw up and still have a stress mark. They're relatively unnoticeable to anyone looking at it but I KNOW it's there, so really this is more for my OCD than anything else.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Gotta get those godhands or Gundam planets.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Like I know people harp on about God Hands, but they really are that good.

One pair of standard nippers to cut off the sprue away from the piece, second cut with the God Hands almost flush.

I'd say 95% of the time it doesn't need a knife to finish the job if your just snap fitting.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Cross posting from the Nov-Jan Challenge thread.

Eh, I can't be bothered working on it anymore as I've started a new model. (As everyone knows, the correct way to build Gundam is to start another one before actually finishing one.)

So here's my entry titled Aballo 16 Jul. 1969.

I was going for a fake moon landing and was going to build a fake green screen behind it and do more with the camera, but I don't think I'll get time to finish it before the end of the month now.

First foray into building a landscape of any type. Note to self, work with Styrofoam in the future and not Polystyrene blocks. What a nightmare to cut and clean.

Full album of pics https://imgur.com/gallery/oIkg5/

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Welp, I caved.

Current progress

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Logicblade posted:

Welp, I caved.

Current progress

The RG Exia is pretty good, it's nice and solid. I actually built a second one today with the P-Bandai repair parts pack. The one thing that kinda got me was white details on the metallic decals rubs off too easily. Not that you can really make any of it out in the first place, and even less so through the clear green lenses, but still.

It kinda breaks my heart how much of the kit went to waste with the Repair build. I had a similar experience with the Thunderbolt HG Ground Gundam too, it contains almost everthing you need to make the TB GM.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 19, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

Cross posting from the Nov-Jan Challenge thread.

Eh, I can't be bothered working on it anymore as I've started a new model. (As everyone knows, the correct way to build Gundam is to start another one before actually finishing one.)

So here's my entry titled Aballo 16 Jul. 1969.

I was going for a fake moon landing and was going to build a fake green screen behind it and do more with the camera, but I don't think I'll get time to finish it before the end of the month now.

First foray into building a landscape of any type. Note to self, work with Styrofoam in the future and not Polystyrene blocks. What a nightmare to cut and clean.

Full album of pics https://imgur.com/gallery/oIkg5/

That's really good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently this thing will be P-bandai in Japan but is getting a regular release in America.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Puddin posted:

Like I know people harp on about God Hands, but they really are that good.

One pair of standard nippers to cut off the sprue away from the piece, second cut with the God Hands almost flush.

I'd say 95% of the time it doesn't need a knife to finish the job if your just snap fitting.

Fair enough, in that case what kind of godhands should I get? Am I dropping 60 dollars tonight and digging an even deeper dark plastic hole than the one am I already in?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

Fair enough, in that case what kind of godhands should I get? Am I dropping 60 dollars tonight and digging an even deeper dark plastic hole than the one am I already in?

i got myself some of these for christmas:

a mere 50 AUD / 40 USD at hlj. so far i havent left a stress mark with them, theyre good.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Oh hey I didn't see a Gunpla thread in the DIY forum and figured that it wouldn't be a ~Culture Fit~ in the scale model thread but here it is makes sense

Here's my first MG and first attempt at painting. The markers suck and a lot of the paint got in my face/lungs because spraycans with a tiny "yard" area in Boston in January is stupid (you can especially see the lovely coverage on the top dragoon bit there) so I'm just gonna go right to airbrushing. Weathering's all over the place and the marker bits are horribly streaky but it was still fun to do.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I like the weathering :shobon:

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Thanks! I didn't really do it "properly" where you do it mainly against joints or whatever the obsessively finicky tutorials I read online said to do, I just haphazardly slapped a brush all around it and was pretty pleasantly surprised as to how good it looked.

Kit itself was fun to build, lots of bits to put together but nothing overwhelming. I've only been doing this for a couple months, started with HG Barbatos Lupus then did the RG Unicorn. Unicorn was probably harder than this one with those really tiny shoulder pieces and the bits on the knee that kept falling off. Next up I'm eyeing either the MG FA-78 ver Thunderbolt or the MG Psycho Zaku.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 19, 2018

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

punchymcpunch posted:

i got myself some of these for christmas:

a mere 50 AUD / 40 USD at hlj. so far i havent left a stress mark with them, theyre good.

That's what I got too. They're a beast.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I’m down to my last two MGs, I was thinking of doing a centerpiece of my collection pairing of a pg rx-78 and a pg zaku II, am I crazy for wanting to do this?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

numerrik posted:

I’m down to my last two MGs, I was thinking of doing a centerpiece of my collection pairing of a pg rx-78 and a pg zaku II, am I crazy for wanting to do this?

You would be crazy NOT to want that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

numerrik posted:

Finish the MGs first!

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finish the MGs first!

I am but I’m out of gundam after that, so I’m in the planning stages of what to do after.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

numerrik posted:

I am but I’m out of gundam after that, so I’m in the planning stages of what to do after.

This beast!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Origin or 3.0 MG Gundam? Which to recommend?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Never watched that show so nope. Now if there are big o kits out there...

E: speaking of the RX-78, which pg version should I get?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

numerrik posted:

E: speaking of the RX-78, which pg version should I get?

Wait, there are multiple versions? Why did you tell me this, you've ruined me.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

numerrik posted:

Never watched that show so nope. Now if there are big o kits out there...

I have good news https://www.amazon.com/Big-Plastic-model-Bandai/dp/B000PBLNR8

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd warn you that the pictures look like it's around the time when the kits weren't as reliably articulated, but Big O wasn't exactly....dynamic in the first place.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Big O, what kind of paint/weathering/effects would you need to recreate the kind of wrought iron, mottled texture they have on the Max Gokin figure?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Buy the cheapest primer you can find.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

this seems like itd be a helpful start for a wrought iron look.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

What I do is take a clear topcoat and paint it on, then while still wet, I use a qtip dipped in the topcoat and just roll it over the original layer, comes out pretty good for me.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've heard both are good kits, but the Origin has a cool shoulder cannon.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Origin. The 3.0 has some extremely fiddly small parts that got a little unfun towards the end. To be fair I did the 3.0 in a single sitting so that may color my perception.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
havent done the origin but the 3.0 was perfectly fine for me :shrug:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

numerrik posted:

What I do is take a clear topcoat and paint it on, then while still wet, I use a qtip dipped in the topcoat and just roll it over the original layer, comes out pretty good for me.

At which stage of the build?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Are the balls really super amazing to build or is it just a dumb meme thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Finished my RG RX-78, to go with the Zaku I did before, and posed them both up:

Only GunPla left in the queue is the PG Wing Zero I bought while drunk, but I kinda want to stick to RG/HG kits after that, the 1/144 scale works pretty well with stuffing them into the extra shelf in my 40k cabinet.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Buy the cheapest primer you can find.

I was thinking this exact thing, I've accidentally gotten pretty much the same texture over-spraying cheap primer.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 20, 2018