Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Does anyone know what's up with Straub? I stopped checking ChainsawSuit after it stopped updating for several months, and BroodHollow hasn't updated in over a year. Does he just do other stuff in Hollywood now (e.g. Candle Cove)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

such is the fate of all webcomics when their creators get paying gigs

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

Does anyone know what's up with Straub? I stopped checking ChainsawSuit after it stopped updating for several months, and BroodHollow hasn't updated in over a year. Does he just do other stuff in Hollywood now (e.g. Candle Cove)?

I think he is mostly doing podcasts now at least as far as his site goes. I assume they are good and funny since he is, but I never seem to bring myself to bother with podcasts so I don't know.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Scaramouche posted:

Broodhollow's been moved to the "finished" section in the hiveworks site, so I'm not expecting an update any time soon. Right now Straub is a player in one of those Acquisitions, Inc. D&D podcasts DMed by Tycho.

Synthbuttrange posted:

such is the fate of all webcomics when their creators get paying gigs

Also a baby

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
This probably has already been discussed before, but has anyone read A Better Place

https://tapas.io/episode/87972

It's about the adventures of a girl who gains the power to create anything

Hilarity ensures!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Willo567 posted:

This probably has already been discussed before, but has anyone read A Better Place

Hilarity ensures!

Also by the creator of the complete and pretty good Demon's Mirror. Which, unfortunately, hasn't been turned into dead tree format yet.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

You mean the dark elves? I saw people were floating that idea in her forum comments, but I don't buy it. They had tinier claws and gray-black skin. I doubt one of them would've screamed and run away in terror if he saw another dark elf under her mask, too.

Cave elves are extremely matriarchal, under this idea they didn't run screaming in horror at what she looks like but at "OH gently caress OH gently caress I JUST ATTACKED A CAVE ELF LADY, THE WORST THE OTHER ADVENTURES CAN DO TO ME IS KILL ME."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Willo567 posted:

Hilarity ensures!

This is incredible. Thanks for the tip!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Grendel seems...nice.

Also, I was looking at the cover for Giant Days #35, and considering some of the other facts we know about the series, I have a sneaking suspicion that we might be seeing Lottie showing up. Sarah mentioned she'd stop by and visit, so maybe she brought Lottie along? She has huge manga hair & a love of mysteries, which would sort of tie into the cover (I think if I remember the timeline right, Giant Days as it is right now is roughly at 1 year out from the start of Bad Machinery). I'm not sure how Ed managed to break his ankles (ouch!) the way he fell off that wall (looked like he fell head first), but I'm guessing that's him in the casts.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 15, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Hilarity ensures!

Yeah, this is Very Good. Binged it a bit too fast, though. Oh well, three day weekend.

Also, read the text below each page in the "author comment" space. After the first few (dozen? several?) it's usually a snippet of world-building and character-building that I'm glad to have read.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 15, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A sad question: is Poppy dead?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Morbi sounded pretty discouraged by the response to Poppy's new format. If the new format's too unliked and the old format's too hard on her, then maybe.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PMush Perfect posted:

Morbi sounded pretty discouraged by the response to Poppy's new format. If the new format's too unliked and the old format's too hard on her, then maybe.

That's unfortunate. I wish Morbi the best for future projects.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I just checked his blog and he was doing 'worldbuilding' posts about it as recently as this week, so my guess is that he just took some time off for the holidays?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Poppy can't swim (she's anomalously super-heavy) so she drowned. RIP Poppy.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Ah yes the classic creepypasta "POPPY Drowned".

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Willo567 posted:

Hilarity ensures!

This is good but kinda makes me miss Minus, which was much more to the point

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

This is good but kinda makes me miss Minus, which was much more to the point

Here, have Minus.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In today's Scarygoround, Linton miserably fails to resist the allure of the older woman.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, which of the crew pulls a Beowulf and kills Grendel?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Willo567 posted:

This probably has already been discussed before, but has anyone read A Better Place https://tapas.io/episode/87972
Ugh. Depressing but read it anyways. Definitely dropping this one

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Violence against mythological creatures seems to be Shauna's area of expertise.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

So, which of the crew pulls a Beowulf and kills Grendel?

Maybe he doesn't die and just gets his arm ripped off.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I suppose if you absolutely refuse to give Linton any characterization beyond 'very very horny' wildly lusting after someone's mom is at least a somewhat interesting place to take it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I sure hope he'll carry around a good metal shield for when a fire-breathing dragon shows up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Linton is lusting after Grendel's mom; like in that Beowulf movie with Angelina Jolie.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

All jokes aside, Linton does seem to be taking this mentoring thing somewhat seriously. After all, he has experience with an embarrassing mother.

I wound up checking the cast page for Bad Machinery to figure out what she does. It said she was a primary school teacher, and lo and behold she's teaching Shauna & Lottie back in Scary Go Round!

The worldbuilding is great.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Today, in Kiwi Blitz: Steffi, you naive girl, that's not a metaphor, it's a plan. Also, wipe that blood away, it kinda looks like a Hitlerstache. That's not a good look.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm not sure why Linton's so nervous. He's been friends with sensitive 11-year-olds before, surely? Sonny & Jack were both 11 once, after all.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 18, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah but he was a sensitive 11 year old too, he wasn't expected to know any better.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Isn't he also 17 or close to it now? That's a pretty big gap in mindset and interests.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A wild Grote appears!

Between this and reposting Classic Bad Machinery over in the newpaper comics thread, I just realised that Mildred, Lottie et. al have taken thee role of 'cool older kids' in relation to Grendel the like Jack's sister & her friends were to him at the start.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 19, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

reignonyourparade posted:

Cave elves are extremely matriarchal, under this idea they didn't run screaming in horror at what she looks like but at "OH gently caress OH gently caress I JUST ATTACKED A CAVE ELF LADY, THE WORST THE OTHER ADVENTURES CAN DO TO ME IS KILL ME."

Huh, I looked back at the updated art and even then the claws didn't look so big but the art on the new page definitely gave them extra-big claws now. I don't know how I'd feel about that if it did turn out that's what she is.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Apparently someone translated the cipher on cave elf speech (incidentally, the same cipher for the speech the professor was using for Drakth summoning so that's got interesting implications) amd when the one cave elf was running away after her hood came off he was saying 'I'm sorry, I didn't know' so yeah she is almost definitely at least part cave-elf.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That might actually be interesting.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Also would make sense why Thistle seemed pretty remorseful over killing the cave elves then Brent being not just being willing to, but actively wanting to behead them.

She does seem like a fairly compassionate person in general, but it makes even more sense if she is at least a half or full breed of the same species.

The claws, fangs, and ears still look too close to be a coincidence even if just in silhouette so far. Also if people are scared enough to set a bounty on cave elves, it would stand to reason that having one living amongst them in their town would be why Thistle has been run out of different places so many times.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, she's magic Drizzt

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Holy poo poo Prequel has been updating regularly???

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Holy poo poo Prequel has been updating regularly???

Post-2017 Earth really is the worst timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Twenty Four posted:

Also would make sense why Thistle seemed pretty remorseful over killing the cave elves then Brent being not just being willing to, but actively wanting to behead them.

She does seem like a fairly compassionate person in general, but it makes even more sense if she is at least a half or full breed of the same species.

The claws, fangs, and ears still look too close to be a coincidence even if just in silhouette so far. Also if people are scared enough to set a bounty on cave elves, it would stand to reason that having one living amongst them in their town would be why Thistle has been run out of different places so many times.

I suppose the implication then wouldn't be that whatever magic she got cursed her, like everyone assumed, but that she was always monstrous-looking and then got powers she doesn't feel she deserves on top of that? That'd be an unexpected approach, at least.