Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Eldragon posted:

I'd be all about doing SRV kill missions if we could equip a larger SRV that's more like a tank than a moon rover.

Nah, that might make people interested in multicrew if it were a driver/gunner setup and Frontier would never have any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The problem with multicrew seems to be that a wing of ships is much more effective. It's only going to be worse when wing missions arrive.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Multicrew is fun with a friend if you have a fighter and need to do massacre missions or something but ya it's gonna be pointless once wing missions drop.

Also I like surface missions and they pay really well for the effort involved :3:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Libluini posted:

some people suggested just avoiding the ones with private scan points (and defensive perimeters) until a building with a public scan point shows up.

That's the coward's play.

Scan the point and immediately reverse hard, but plan your ingress and egress paths so you don't hit anything when backing out and get popped.

I usually scout the area from my ship and land about 1.5 km back.

Eldragon posted:

Are they still bugged where you can be tasked with killing X floaty robots, but only X-1 spawns, and no matter how many times you exit and come back, no more spawn? Happened to me a few months a go a couple times, and I just wrote them off.

You can kill a few and then come back and kill some more.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

the new C&P stuff just seems like a huge waste. how is this fun for anyone?

i spoke too soon here, these C&P changes make a lot more sense when you can do things like pirating megaships

theres so much new stuff in this next update, i'm really excited for the beta

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Anyone have an idiot's guide to knocking out settlement generators? I wanna do it from my ship like the cool kids, but I tried that earlier and failed horribly. Do large settlements have redundant generators? I nailed the one I found with tons of missiles, got a bounty and died but never got mission credit

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Multicrew is nice when you want to pew pew a lil' but you're halfway across the galaxy on an expedition.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

osirisisdead posted:

That's the coward's play.

Scan the point and immediately reverse hard, but plan your ingress and egress paths so you don't hit anything when backing out and get popped.

I usually scout the area from my ship and land about 1.5 km back.

You can kill a few and then come back and kill some more.

Personally, I like dropping my ship like a stone about 1km back, then racing for the data point like a maniac, followed by wildly circling around until I see a clear path. The rest then goes basically like you suggested.

I noticed I just have to leave out the "spray shots everywhere like an insane person"-part to successfully complete these kinds of missions. :v:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So I caved in and bought a rift and set it up today

Started a trial run to travel a dreaded 45 jumps back to the bubble from the plaides and I hadn't even been ooing and aaing by walking around in my cockpit (it's huge!) for 20 minutes before I was interdicted from hyperspace for the first time by a pair of thargoids and let me just say

holy poo poo

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Just holding down the fort in the CG system

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So just got Horizons is there any way to import an SRV control profile without having to redo my entire current profile? Really dont want to manually gently caress with every single SRV binding.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

So just got Horizons is there any way to import an SRV control profile without having to redo my entire current profile? Really dont want to manually gently caress with every single SRV binding.

I don't know of such a thing. If you already have custom binds, and you don't want to load up the defaults, I think you have to just key everything in by hand :X

It's not a straightforward 1:1 relationship between flight controls and steering. For example, you don't have lateral thrusters on the SRV, but you do have a vertical thruster that lets you fly for a short time. You can pitch and roll, but only while you're in the air. But while you're in the air, you can't yaw left or right. You can only steer like that when you're on the ground.

You also need to bind the handbrake. Drive assist is another important bind here. Having it on is kind of like cruise control -- I prefer to have it off most of the time.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/84ksRv4.gifv

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Owns

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

This could have looped better imho

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

I don't know of such a thing. If you already have custom binds, and you don't want to load up the defaults, I think you have to just key everything in by hand :X

It's not a straightforward 1:1 relationship between flight controls and steering. For example, you don't have lateral thrusters on the SRV, but you do have a vertical thruster that lets you fly for a short time. You can pitch and roll, but only while you're in the air. But while you're in the air, you can't yaw left or right. You can only steer like that when you're on the ground.

You also need to bind the handbrake. Drive assist is another important bind here. Having it on is kind of like cruise control -- I prefer to have it off most of the time.

Well poo poo alright.

I have an X55 Hotas set up it's got a twist on the stick but how awkward is driving with a hotas?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just holding down the fort in the CG system

I'm getting my first taste of sustained bounty hunting. I hit Friendly with the Empire today and 77% Novice.

I've been tinkering with different weapon loadouts.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Songbearer posted:

https://youtu.be/cGZ4GfR09uo

When the camera pans to the Chieftan at 12:38, the plates above and around the cockpit clearly looks like an open mouthed :frogout:. You're all very welcome.

Also, the way the rear thruster pods swivel down when the landing gear deploy, the rear end end of a ship looks like a frog perched on a rock.

Also assuming the dude demonstrating the Chieftain has the standard 5% rebuy fee, a mostly A-fit Chieftain is going to be in the ballpark of.. 29M, witout armor upgrades. That would suggest a core ship cost of around 15M? That's actually pretty reasonable for a dedicated combat ship, and exactly in the ballpark we needed ships in.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Friendship Drive Activated

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

Well poo poo alright.

I have an X55 Hotas set up it's got a twist on the stick but how awkward is driving with a hotas?

i use a thrustmaster hotas :grin:

To answer your question, I use the twist function to steer on the ground and the pitch/roll works the same as in the ship

But I don't use the throttle anymore, I use the WSAD keys on the keyboard to thrust in various directions (space bar to go up and C to go down, just like a FPS), the joystick for changing my orientation, and the mouse still works for precise aiming. I use middle click on the mouse to bring up the turret in the SRV

Needless to say, I have to mess with my binds a lot as new stuff gets added to the game.

In case you didn't know, you can edit the XML file for your binds directly, and this is the only way I know how to overload your keys. For example you might want to bind the Tab key to both boost and to "increase power to engines".

e: lmk if you want me to post my binds

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 19, 2018

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Sedisp posted:

There is, as long as you're comfortable with messing with .binds files. You can find them in Users\"yourusername"\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings. AppData might be a hidden folder, depending on your settings. Just open them in notepad, copy the parts you like and paste it into the .binds you use. I use a hotas for flight and an xbox controller for my SRV. It's still a work in progress to get everything just the way I like/need it to be, but without cutting and pasting I probably wouldn't know where to start.

Be warned, though: Make backups of anything you're happy with. Sometimes poo poo disappear.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

osirisisdead posted:

I'm getting my first taste of sustained bounty hunting. I hit Friendly with the Empire today and 77% Novice.

I've been tinkering with different weapon loadouts.

That’s rad dude. While big ships are heaps of untouchable firepower I still think the most fun this game is is in small ships like a speed tanking courier.

I just figured out how to take screenshots with weapons firing. My plucky little fighter and I clearing out a ring

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
can someone explain how to take cool screenshots in this game? I've gotten as far as "external camera" which just rotates between views no one would want to see

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

That’s rad dude. While big ships are heaps of untouchable firepower I still think the most fun this game is is in small ships like a speed tanking courier.

The courier is one of my favorite ships except that I can never quite seem to make it punch above its weight class. Kitting it for missions or combat makes it so piggish that it feels like it loses its speed. I should try it again now that I’m more experienced with combat (it’s been awhile since I’ve owned one) but I feel like I’m spoiled by the Vulture in all ways.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I killed some slavers in an iCourier with Plasma Accelerators on the nacelles and it is the reason why I'm going to unlock Bill Turner for the plasma slug mods. It's too expensive otherwise, but... heh he hehe

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Vulture/FAS make all of the other ships feel awkward for dedicated combat. ImpCourier racing at 800m/s is hilarious fun though.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

the milk machine posted:

can someone explain how to take cool screenshots in this game? I've gotten as far as "external camera" which just rotates between views no one would want to see

There's a button that will free the camera and you can guide it around independently of your ship. On PS4 it's R3, you may have to check the key binds if you're on pc.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Well that explains why I've had to manually set bindings for everything related to SRV, External Cam, turrets, and fighters.

That seems dumb, but I've changed enough stuff to my own liking, that I don't want to reset to defaults just to populate all the currently empty bindings.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This could have looped better imho

its the blackhole nerd :crossarms:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

the milk machine posted:

There’s a lot of key bindings for the free camera and I’d recommend setting up ones for all the movement axes as well as the blur and zoom effects. There isn’t a screenshot button on Xbox except for the use of the Xbox button and the options in the overlay. I just figured that you can take a video and use Xboxdvr to save screenshots of cool weapons fire, which opens up a whole new world of possibilities for this thread imho.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

the milk machine posted:

I just use :steam: screenshot button which is F12. :shrug:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm enjoying it. My current loadout is two g4 rapid fire pulse lasers on the nacelles and a 19 shot pack hound rack. I really enjoyed plasma accelerators on the nacelles, but the ammo is too expensive so before I switch back I need to engineer the plasma slug mod.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I just use :steam: screenshot button which is F12. :shrug:

If you aren't playing with steam, its f10 to take a screenshot

:siren: You can get it to render the frame at a MUCH higher resolution if you do alt + f10 :siren:

But someone said this only works in solo. For me, it renders a screenshot at 7680x4800, which is a ~100mb .bmp file. You can find them in C:\Users\User\Pictures\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The detail in those high-res shots is amazing. I wish more games had it.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
These days I only take screenshots with EDDiscovery running; aside from its intended purpose as an exploration log it has some pretty robust screenshot conversion options. I got tired of those all those ludicrous loving .bmps filling up my hard drive.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ha, this last week or two of parutis-medb has been totally worth it, I finally have my turret party anaconda and I am now an untouchable space pirate king. Thank you THANK YOU to the goon who posted that loop, it was pages back now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
People may give you poo poo for running turrets but never let that stop you from having a cup of tea while laser boat kills things for you.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rynoto posted:

People may give you poo poo for running turrets but never let that stop you from having a cup of tea while laser boat kills things for you.

Flying my little fighter around while all the lasers went off around me was something else; at one point I chased a sidewinder into a planetary ring, deployed in my fighter, and then we chased each other through the rocks while the star wars asteroid field music played in my head until he blew up.

I'll almost certainly change it up more than once, this seems like a versatile ship. I still have a few tens of millions left over, along with all my previous trading and passenger profits in the form of a few ships I fully outfitted but never used. This thing has a ridiculous number of slots, I could do anything with it. I think I'll try a run at pirating with it after I get sick of rolling through combat zones, then maybe...mining? The reptilian part of my brain is urging me to deck it out in passenger compartments, but I can't bring myself to go back to the life yet. I suppose the dream would be an engineered power plant and hyperdrive, and then deck it out like an exploration ship with teeth.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The trip I took to colonia and sagA I did in a stripped down anaconda with about a 40ly jump range. It was fun because it felt like I was on a five year voyage like Star Trek in a big ship. You just have to imagine there’s like a crew of 150 persons working within your ship while flying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

A follow up to the videos of ED galaxy exploration progress is this well made heatmap of all the scanned stars in the galaxy. It’s really cool to see how much people have done in this game.

• Locked thread