Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I finished Door 7 (Fata Morgana spoilers) That was miserable! It kept getting worse and worse for Michel. I mean, we knew some of this from seeing Door 5. But again, Michel having to watch his own dead body be publicly humiliated and crucified by his own brother steered back into the uncomfortable nastiness I was worried about. Seeing Michel's and Morgana's interactions were interesting at least. I guess there was a bit of hope there with that scene between Michel and the real Giselle, but of course things couldn't end on a happy note and there is yet more to see in the "final" door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sometimes, you've gotta earn your happy ending.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Anyone get the True Ending of Chaos;Child yet? Thoughts?

I really can't think of a way they could have ended it better.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone else played CxM? I'm on my 2nd route and MC is ruining the story v:v:v

Another sign I'll never get into mainstream games I guess.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Final Door... well this is an interesting turn. Although, at this point, I have to take Morgana's side here: I can't imagine there being anything that could redeem these three men or what they did to her. I'm not sure what kind of crazy storytelling will have to take place for what Michel wants to happen to occur.

I haven't mentioned this before, but the shifting of how the character portraits are displayed is pretty neat. Like Door 7 had these big, almost framed portraits and now this door has almost a Final Fantasy look to them and the dialog display.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So I just got the Common Route Bad Ending in Chaos;child and unlocked the Extra menu and stuff. You know, I can't help but notice that not only has the so-called 'Opening Movie' not actually played yet, but if it had played it would've blatantly spoiled that Itou is evil, I KNEW IT, YOU FUCKER, I WAS ONTO YOU, ARGH GOD drat YOU ITOU, I'LL CRUSH YOU and that's kinda weird, ngl. So when does it actually play? How late is this game's title card??

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

alcharagia posted:

So I just got the Common Route Bad Ending in Chaos;child and unlocked the Extra menu and stuff. You know, I can't help but notice that not only has the so-called 'Opening Movie' not actually played yet, but if it had played it would've blatantly spoiled that Itou is evil, I KNEW IT, YOU FUCKER, I WAS ONTO YOU, ARGH GOD drat YOU ITOU, I'LL CRUSH YOU and that's kinda weird, ngl. So when does it actually play? How late is this game's title card??

are you talking about the ending where you screw up on the mapping and then get stabbed by Itou? If so, I noticed the same thing about that ending, but I only went back to get the bad ending after finishing the common route. It IS a big spoiler for what is definitely one of the scariest scenes in the game, so I agree with you. Really bizarre that they reveal who attacked you. It definitely doesn't ruin the game, but it might diminish the confusion and shock of a particular upcoming scene. That ending also spoils something else that's actually even more important. Awful decision to make that ending reveal those spoilers relatively early.

Also just FYI, that's considered an early bad ending, and not a proper ending to the actual Common Route. The Common Route only had one actual full ending, and it's way past that.

IIRC the title card never plays, nor does the opening movie unless you afk on the main menu.

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 21, 2018

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My current theory on the story of Fata Morgana is going to go (last door spoilers): Being able to change the future would be amazing (although, even IF Michel succeeded his life would still be terrible since his horrors had nothing to do with Morgana which is a bit bittersweet for him to go through all this for nothing in return), so it's not going to happen. It's too nice of an ending. Michel has already said something is "off" about this place, so I'm assuming it is all a reconstruction of that time which is why he can walk around and interact. If he succeeds in freeing the young Morgana, this won't change the future BUT it will show the real Morgana the other side of the story which will be enough to calm her.

That being said, this part has been very good so far. It's felt very, uh, "realistic" if that make sense. Like the characters are acting naturally to what Michel says (in that they think he's insane at first) instead of just trying to shortcut through those conversations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I'm like 5 minutes into chapter 5 in Chaos;Child, and have some speculation.

Given what we know, I have a strong feeling that Serika is the killer. She was already in the area of the Love Hotel when the third killing occurred (and I don't remember if the game explained why she was there), despite school being in session. She could have also conceivably done the 4th murder (the VN never tells us where she was at 12:30).

It seems pretty obvious that the manner in which the killings occur are through hallucinations caused by psychic powers. The first murder basically shows this happen, and now that we know that psychic powers exist, it seems pretty easy to apply that logic to the rest of the cases.

Given that the targets have powers, I'm guessing the reason Arimura said Miyashiro was going to die was because he also had powers. There may also be a link of seeing previous murders, as a condition, but that would rely on the 2nd victim viewing the stream, and the 3rd victim being at that concert. Watabe was pretty quickly at that hotel, so he might of gotten a glimpse of something.

Powers:

Arimura - Can tell when people are lying? Or even full on mind reading?

Takuru - Good hunches?

Serika? - Cause hallucinations (killer)? Some level of mind reading?

The killer seems to be friends with some of the victims, from what we have of their perspective. Hints to that:

TIL I Can See the Future - Seems to realize that the person at the door is a friend

Leaky Noise - ?

Revolving Dead - ?

Watabe Case - He mentions that a friend convinced him to go to the high school. Also, he seemed to indicate that "not all" of the students were bad, indicating that either his friend goes there or he is referring to the deductive ability of the Newspaper Club.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 22, 2018

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, I finished Fata Morgana.

I lied. I went ahead and finished the story.

So, like, OK. Let me first say this.

I was pretty mad until right at the very end. Michel, the greatest man to ever live, my new favorite VN character, almost did everything for everyone and got nothing.... is what it looked like at first. Let's just say I'm glad I waited until the credits were done!

Everything from the last door onward was really well done. The events in the door were interesting, the stories (especially the Lord's) were surprising and everything after that was so good. I was right, going to the past WAS fake, but considering where the last door lead to those events were still satisfying. Of course, I say that NOW knowing Michel got his happy ending. I was on pins a needles through most of it, thinking nothing good could come of any of it. I'm happy to see Michel's brothers both were punished for what they did AND got a somewhat decent reunion with Michel.

Still though, I can't get rid of the feeling of being unsatisfied that Michel's parents, and ESPECIALLY Aimee, got away with what they did. I know it's in the past, and that those events even to Michel don't matter as much. But drat it, it matters to ME that those people never got what was coming to them! I can't let it go.

I'm actually glad that, in the end, Morgana could not forgive the three men for what they did. It felt very real, that she could learn to somewhat sympathize with their lives but could not look past what they did. I guess my opinions line up with her's on that one, which is why I like that detail so much.

That was a great VN, and I'm very happy I got to experience it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Fata Morgana Spoilers:

I feel like one of the big takeaways from the VN is learning to let go, if not necessarily forgive.

I feel like Fata Morgana is a VN that really sticks with you after you finish it. The music, feelings, and lessons still end up in my thoughts to this day.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah Aimee just vanishing from the narrative is kind of weird and I wonder if there wasn't a better way to do that, or maybe the character should have just been excised altogether.

Oh yeah I had a question for everyone that I meant to ask months ago but had forgotten about. IIRC the Maid mentions to Michel that someone has been wandering outside the mansion in the early parts of the story. Did I just imagine this? If I didn't, its supposed to be Didier running around, right?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Umineko 5-8 voice+PS3 sprites patch is finally out: https://github.com/07th-mod/umineko-answer/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also, regarding Fata Morgana, I would argue that Mell's crimes were not especially bad, particularly for a boy his age. His first crime was leading Yukimasa to Morgana because he threatened Nellie, which is totally understandable. His second crime is one of inaction and not helping Morgana in the tower. While this is kinda bad, it's hard to condemn a teenager in that situation too much for failing to take action, particularly with Yukimasa around. So it's mostly just a lack of bravery and a tendency to not take responsibility that he's guilty of, which isn't quite "grr, I hope he gets his!" territory.

Jacapo is interesting because his crimes were actually super bad, but also very easy to understand. Not helping Morgana was really terrible and evil, but I understand his fear at revealing to her his responsibility for cutting her arm off and abducting her. He is probably my favorite character and I look forward to the expansion that involves him more.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

About the final door of Fata Morgana...

I know Michel didn't *actually* go back to Morgana's past, but I'm having trouble understanding what exactly he was really doing?

Selane
May 19, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Still though, I can't get rid of the feeling of being unsatisfied that Michel's parents, and ESPECIALLY Aimee, got away with what they did. I know it's in the past, and that those events even to Michel don't matter as much. But drat it, it matters to ME that those people never got what was coming to them! I can't let it go.

Regarding Fata Morgana, Aimee kind of amuses me as a character because people always get so worked up about her. Sometimes I see people say stuff like "I wish she had been summoned to the house to suffer like the three men", but there's a reason why that didn't happen. Michel is pretty much the least spiteful person ever, so he would never do something like that. And one of the reasons the writing is good is because what happens happens, things aren't going to always be conveniently wrapped up in a neat package just because it makes the reader feel better. Michel got over it, you can too. I think another reason they did that is because one of the story's themes is that someone's actions might seem incomprehensible or inexcusable, but then you see the other side of things and there is at least somewhat of an explanation, even if it doesn't excuse what they did. But I think they also wanted to show that sometimes that isn't the case, which is why unlike the three men, Antonin and Aimee are depicted as unilaterally evil.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

FM: Michel is offered the chance for revenge and explicitly rejects it. I think it's important that he does so in spite of having every reason to hate someone.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I absolutely agree with those last couple of posts (Fata Morgana) Michel not taking revenge when he could goes a long way into informing what kind of person he is. And I think that, Michel simply being GIVEN a chance for revenge even if he doesn't take it alleviates some of those events because at least he had a choice in what to do. But, I can't speak for everyone who hated Aimee, but I'm no Michel and I can't just let those events go so easily.

I wonder if I think the Aimee's torture of Michel is bad because it is genuinely and out-of-place scene that goes too far or because it made me really uncomfortable. Maybe both. I do think that if you entirely remove the part Michel still has a horrible life and can sympathize with Morgana still, so I don't know.

As far as Mell goes, I also agree in the grand scheme of things his crimes weren't the worst. But to Michel's credit, he points out that Mell being able to dodge the blame a bit and sort of let himself off the hook is another part that leads to his inaction. So Mell has to face his crimes and own them to move forward.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah honestly the part with Aimee where she derides perceived homosexuality in Michel left a far stronger impact on me than any of the cartoonish torture stuff. I feel like that was all you needed to make her work.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I notice there's an art book for sale on the publishers(?) site, has anyone seen it and is it any good? Are any of the extras/other endings worth going back to see? I noticed something called "go backstage" so I'll at least try that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To put it simply, (FM)Michel and Morgana are complementary characters in that both were hideously wronged but Michel never wishes to curse/spite anyone. And it's because of this he is able to lead everyone else to a form of salvation, and was probably the only person who could have gotten through to Morgana in the first place.

The backstage thing that unlocks after the end consists of a few dialogue scenes about the VN in general, characters talking about themselves while breaking the 4th wall a bit, notes from the writers about story/characters, etc. Kind of like the tea party things at the end of Higurashi chapters. I thought it was fairly interesting.

None of the "bad"/alternative endings are really worth it IMO, they just sort of end the story abruptly.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 23, 2018

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hi. I just finished Nono's route in Chaos;child and I'm sitting over here shouting about how much I dearly love Senri Minamisawa, and desire her happiness, and I want to see more of her in this video game, because I love her. Both for the novelty of being an anime stepsister who actually isn't a romance path and just because I really, really wanna give her a big ol' hug. Thanks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

None of the "bad"/alternative endings are really worth it IMO, they just sort of end the story abruptly.
IIRC one of the bad endings in Door 8 brings in Jacopo waaaaaay early and I think even mentions he's the governor or whatever which is kind of dumb and dramatically ruins that build up a bit if you happen to get that ending on accident.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I don't really consider it a spoiler but Fata Morgana actually has routes? I should finish up Door 2 today and haven't gotten a single choice. :confused:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is a very small number of choices peppered throughout. They're usually pretty innocuous but a few result in near instant dead/alternate ends. It's not a game that needs a guide if that's what you're wondering.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Selane posted:

And one of the reasons the writing is good is because what happens happens, things aren't going to always be conveniently wrapped up in a neat package just because it makes the reader feel better. [/spoiler]

Actually, this pretty much does happen with his brothers. They both get a convenient redemption. And Michel and Giselle also get their happy ending reincarnation. Not that this is bad in any way, but I wouldn't exactly describe it as the sort of story that refuses to "wrap things up in a neat package" as you put it.

By the way, regarding Fata Morgana, one thing I didn't realize/understand when I was playing that I feel like I should mention in case anyone else also didn't understand it is that Michel is intersex (confirmed by one of the developers apparently) and his "transformation" wasn't anything magical. When I initially read it I thought he just magically transformed into a conventionally male body (minus genitals), but in retrospect it's actually completely consistent with him basically being a feminine intersex boy growing up and then developing more masculine traits in puberty.

It's kind of a neat thing since intersex people are pretty underrepresented in media, and particularly game media like this.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 23, 2018

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Actually, this pretty much does happen with his brothers. They both get a convenient redemption. And Michel and Giselle also get their happy ending reincarnation. Not that this is bad in any way, but I wouldn't exactly describe it as the sort of story that refuses to "wrap things up in a neat package" as you put it.

Idk. i mean they're both cursed and in bad situations for several hundreds of years and the one whose crimes are by far the least severe is possibly erased from existence forever.

I really really loved fata morgana but I think didier is the character who 'worked' for me the least. even though he was really remorseful I couldn't really understand why he did what he did. I guess I can't get into the 1000s knight mentality, and michel is just much more christ-like than me.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Hi. I just finished Nono's route in Chaos;child and I'm sitting over here shouting about how much I dearly love Senri Minamisawa, and desire her happiness, and I want to see more of her in this video game, because I love her. Both for the novelty of being an anime stepsister who actually isn't a romance path and just because I really, really wanna give her a big ol' hug. Thanks.

C;C

Yeah I'm really glad they didn't try to put any romance in Nono's route, I was dreading that before playing it. Glad you're enjoying it, I thought that twist was really well setup.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
C;C Nono route I love my real fake real big sister Senri and she's great and good. That route also answered, uh, most of my remaining questions regarding the plot :v:, so I'm curious where the other three are gonna go.

Edit: This game's cast is way more solid and good and fun overall than I was expecting going in and also it's hosed up that the game doesn't think Shinjo is important enough to get a bar in the voice config

Selane
May 19, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but that happened for a reason. He wanted to reconcile with his brothers, so he did. He didn't want to see Aimee ever again, so he didn't. That's all I meant. His brothers got 'redeemed'(sort of) for his sake, but if Aimee had gotten punished or whatnot it would have just been for the readers' sake.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

I really really loved fata morgana but I think didier is the character who 'worked' for me the least. even though he was really remorseful I couldn't really understand why he did what he did. I guess I can't get into the 1000s knight mentality, and michel is just much more christ-like than me.

I guess there's no good place for it in the story, but I wouldn't have minded seeing things from Didier's perspective a few days/weeks before he attacked the mansion like we saw with the three men. Of all the major players that come back in some way, I feel like his story is the one that could have been filled a bit more. You could say the same about Georges I guess, but at least he appeared as the painting man so had more screentime and he does get a chance to explain his actions and apologize.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I notice there's an art book for sale on the publishers(?) site, has anyone seen it and is it any good? Are any of the extras/other endings worth going back to see? I noticed something called "go backstage" so I'll at least try that.

I bought the artbook. It's a very high quality production with lots of really nice pictures in it, most of which I hadn't seen before. It's mostly full CG works, only a few pages are sketches. No text, except an untranslated index page. Everyone gets some pictures, with a larger focus on Morgana, Michelle and Giselle. I'm not disappointed with it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yo heads up that Psycho Pass is on PS+ UK on PS4 now, they took their sweet time actually getting that working here.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Fata Morgana Early Door 3 thoughts - Every single douche has deserved what he's got coming to him so far except for the 1st guy. He, at least, didn't know he was trying to date his sister. I'm also pretty sure the house is under a Beauty and the Beast esqe curse where the maid is eternal and the white haired girl is the witch.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

alcharagia posted:

C;C Nono route I love my real fake real big sister Senri and she's great and good. That route also answered, uh, most of my remaining questions regarding the plot :v:, so I'm curious where the other three are gonna go.

Edit: This game's cast is way more solid and good and fun overall than I was expecting going in and also it's hosed up that the game doesn't think Shinjo is important enough to get a bar in the voice config

Minor spoilers about the recommended order of routes to play.

It's kind of too late to mention this, but Nono's route is generally considered to be the last one you should play before the True Route, since you can get some tonal whiplash (it's definitely the best of the routes, aside from the True Route), since Hinae's route and Kazuki's route are much less serious (especially Kazuki's, you'll see). The generally agreed upon order of the routes is Hinae, Kazuki, Uki and then Nono. That also happens to be the ranking of each route from "worst" to best (none of them are bad, but the first two feel far less essential). I'd recommend playing the rest of them in order, though it's not a big deal if you don't, Nono's ending just happens to set the mood best for the True Route.

Also, yeah I really like pretty much the whole cast, most of them are very well developed, even if a few of them deserved a bit more focus. Glad you like the game as a whole, you should have some fun with the other side routes, and the True Ending is basically perfect in my opinion.

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 24, 2018

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've poking around the "Backstage" extra for Fata Morgan and it's pretty silly and cool. The part where Michel gets to confront Aimee, tell her off and gets to show how much happier he is now, and Morgana calls her the worst person in the story was pretty gratifying.

EDIT: Wait, there's a follow up VN? And it already came out two years ago?

Heroic Yoshimitsu fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 25, 2018

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Fata Morgana door 1 impressions (spoilers for entire door):

Huh... this kind of... has an uncomfortable incest vibe. I don't trust like that, especially with the other VNs I've played with uncomfortable incest vibes. I sure hope it's just a false alarm though :downs: I must be reading too far into it

Huh okay this definitely is getting a worsening incest tone with her constantly calling him her prince and saying she won't love anyone else

WHOA OKAY NOT ONLY IS IT INCEST, IT'S DOUBLE INCEST

NELLIE WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU

I also like how the Maid seems to be some sort of hosed up immortal and everyone's just kind of ok with it.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
http://store.steampowered.com/app/766540/A_Kiss_For_The_Petals__Maidens_of_Michael/
I'm surprised this is actually getting a steam release. I figured there wouldn't be enough of a story left over.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Presumably they're expecting the target audience to hunt down the inevitable patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's pretty funny. A long, long time ago, I told someone I'd play those games when they came out on Steam, intending to mean "when pigs fly".