Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Tether. Could someone dumb it down to the level that say a true believer could understand?

Best I can come up with it is Paypal for crypto.

It's the FEDERAL RESERVE THEY'RE JUST PRINTING MONEY :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well the fed is a joke but there isn't anything we can do about it at this point.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Is the price moving?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

hostile apostle posted:

So someone tried to explain the legitimacy of tether to me like this:

Tether issuance increases during sell offs because exchanges/whales are using it to arbitrage during limited liquidity events when large price discrepancies appear on different exchanges. USDT is being bought by exchanges/whales to operate the arbitrage.

1) Whale buy 9000 USDT for USD
1) Someone sells 1 BTC for 9000 USDT on Bitfinex to whale
2) Whale takes the BTC and sells it on GDAX for 9500 USD
3) Whale pockets the 500 USD profit

There's a hole here in this narrative, but its not immediately apparent to me.

EDIT: also important in this - USDT buyers want to hide their business and don’t want to be KYCed, exchanges are avoiding regulations, so that is why they deal in USDT.

I don’t see why you would need USDT for this, aside from bitfinex making you use it. I’m thinking the Tether thing is about keeping the fiat coming in (and maybe going out if anyone actually has gotten any out) because no bank will deal with bitfinex. Their bank already haulted all wire transfers to bitfinex, so they create Tether and do fiat conversions there to stay one step ahead of the banks trying to stop the flow of money.

e: ofc now they are printing fake money to pump the market. Dunno if that was the plan from the start.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sentient Data posted:

The exchanges make fees on everything (NO FEES!) and don't (supposedly) buy/sell anything directly, they just match sellers to suckers

e: drat, forked the comment chain again. I need a better mining rig

Vbulliten was the first blockchain. Radium perfected it.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Pawn 17 posted:

I don’t see why you would need USDT for this, aside from bitfinex making you use it. I’m thinking the Tether thing is about keeping the fiat coming in (and maybe going out if anyone actually has gotten any out) because no bank will deal with bitfinex. Their bank already haulted all wire transfers to bitfinex, so they create Tether and do fiat conversions there to stay one step ahead of the banks trying to stop the flow of money.

e: ofc now they are printing fake money to pump the market. Dunno if that was the plan from the start.

Tether is not needed but for the banking restrictions which is large hurdle for these exchanges. The argument in that narrative is the increased issuance is just due to more players looking to arb (proliferation of exchanges), and larger discrepancies between markets on a larger bitcoin market cap today.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 20, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Tether. Could someone dumb it down to the level that say a true believer could understand?

Best I can come up with it is Paypal for crypto.

It's hard to wrap your head around because like many things in crypto, it is as loving retarded as it looks.

The idea is that Tether is a centrally managed crypto, where 1 Tether always equals 1 USD, because the guy who runs Tether has a scrooge mcduck vault somewhere filled with dollar bills at 1:1 ratio to back it up. Except, you aren't allowed to exchange Tether for USD, there is no evidence that any financial assets are owned in reserve (they won't allow audits) and the Tether Terms of Service say "gently caress you, got mine"

I don't think I have ever heard of why Tether is useful. I think the idea is that if you want to take your money out of one exchange to another, instead of having to cash out to a bank to get paid in USD, then take your USD to the other exchange and deposit it, you just convert everything to Tether, send the Tether to your new exchange, then can convert back to buttcoins, without having to go through banks. But you can do this with literally any accepted crypto. I mean it would cost you 20 bucks with Bitcoin, but there are common cryptos like Litecoin which have almost no transaction fee. There is no need for Tether to do this.

It has turned into fractional reserve banking for Tether, but instead of the Feds stepping in with "quantitive easing", some guy presses Enter on his keyboard and shits out 100M of tether every other hour and uses the money to buy buttcoins. This causes the price of buttcoins to go up. Which is hilariously ironic because Satoshi, the guy who created Bitcoin, created it because of the bank bailouts and hatred of fractional reserve banking, thus the message in Block 1 of Bitcoin's blockchain.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Hence the term 'fictional reserve banking'

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alpha Mayo posted:

It's hard to wrap your head around because like many things in crypto, it is as loving retarded as it looks.

The idea is that Tether is a centrally managed crypto, where 1 Tether always equals 1 USD, because the guy who runs Tether has a scrooge mcduck vault somewhere filled with dollar bills at 1:1 ratio to back it up. Except, you aren't allowed to exchange Tether for USD, there is no evidence that any financial assets are owned in reserve (they won't allow audits) and the Tether Terms of Service say "gently caress you, got mine"

I don't think I have ever heard of why Tether is useful. I think the idea is that if you want to take your money out of one exchange to another, instead of having to cash out to a bank to get paid in USD, then take your USD to the other exchange and deposit it, you just convert everything to Tether, send the Tether to your new exchange, then can convert back to buttcoins, without having to go through banks. But you can do this with literally any accepted crypto. I mean it would cost you 20 bucks with Bitcoin, but there are common cryptos like Litecoin which have almost no transaction fee. There is no need for Tether to do this.

It has turned into fractional reserve banking for Tether, but instead of the Feds stepping in with "quantitive easing", some guy presses Enter on his keyboard and shits out 100M of tether every other hour and uses the money to buy buttcoins. This causes the price of buttcoins to go up. Which is hilariously ironic because Satoshi, the guy who created Bitcoin, created it because of the bank bailouts and hatred of fractional reserve banking, thus the message in Block 1 of Bitcoin's blockchain.

:psyboom:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey guys let's make s currency just like the USD but without all the guarantee of legal tender. It's gonna be great

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you view Bitcoin as the most elaborately expensive way to educate people on why fractional reserve banking exists its good.

If you view it in light of the fact its supposed to eliminate fractional reserve banking its transcendent

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/Protiled/status/954533712049225728

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lemming posted:

It's the FEDERAL RESERVE THEY'RE JUST PRINTING MONEY :supaburn:

why is that a problem?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Lemming posted:

Lol why is this past the limit of what will flummox you

fair call

mind you i am sitting here, several glasses of home brewed mead down, discussing it with said loved one and we are laughing our heads off

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why is that a problem?

Inflation by a controlling interest. ? The joke

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

Inflation by a controlling interest. ? The joke

yeah what is the joke?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

It means someone cleared out the order book. It was at 10900, then they cleared it out to 11600. If you are wanting to $30+ million shares (or "coins"), it makes more sense to spread that out over time, since doing it in one big chunk is the most expensive way to do it.

it was only 1145 BTC if you look at the 1 minute candle. still weird

one noteworthy thing is that the price was several % lower on bitfinex than it was on GDAX at that time. the huge buy brought bitfinex up to GDAX's price. still, if you're buying on an exchange where the price is lower, you wouldn't want to market buy with several percent of slippage. you'd buy slowly, preferably on the bid

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 20, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/tetherprinter/status/954533642038009856

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

the usd is more of a scam than tether

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

ghosTTy posted:

the usd is more of a scam than tether

That's what I tell my landlord every month when I try to pay my rent in funbux.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

So someone tried to explain the legitimacy of tether to me like this:

Tether issuance increases during sell offs because exchanges/whales are using it to arbitrage during limited liquidity events when large price discrepancies appear on different exchanges. USDT is being bought by exchanges/whales to operate the arbitrage.

1) Whale buy 9000 USDT for USD
1) Someone sells 1 BTC for 9000 USDT on Bitfinex to whale
2) Whale takes the BTC and sells it on GDAX for 9500 USD
3) Whale pockets the 500 USD profit

There's a hole here in this narrative, but its not immediately apparent to me.

EDIT: also important in this - USDT buyers want to hide their business and don’t want to be KYCed, exchanges are avoiding regulations, so that is why they deal in USDT.
The fundamental flaw in this analysis is assuming that USDT is fundamentally worth anything more than $0. USDT is only useful as a mechanism of exchange as long as the community continues to believe that USDT is backed by USD 1:1. When the community figures out that this is not true, USDT will be worth $0.

At the end of your series of transactions, someone is holding 9000 USDT. The USDT will at some point in the near future be worth $0. This person is called a bag-hodler.

At any point in the series of transactions the whale did in your example, USDT could have become worth $0 to the community. The whale could become a bag-hodler in the middle of his arbitrage scheme.

At some point in your series of transactions, that 9000 USDT originated from bitfinex. Bitfinex could have sold the whale 9000 USDT for 9000 USDT. At some point along the series of transactions, Bitfinex has scammed someone out of 9000 USD.

Bitcoin also has a value of $0, but for different reasons. Bitcoins has no actual use except enabling delusional beliefs about a futuristic currency that can't actually function as a currency.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

as per his latest tweet, USDT stands for United States Donald Trumps

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why is that a problem?

The real problem is that the Federal reserve is backed by the US government saying "we promise we will give you this money" and tether is bitfinex or whoever scammers saying "we promise we will give you this money" but it's 2 billion dollars and they definitely don't have the money and they already say they won't give you money

The reason you put it like that to the true believers is they're by and large libertarian nutjobs and they haaaaaaaaaate the Federal reserve

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Lemming posted:

The real problem is that the Federal reserve is backed by the US government saying "we promise we will give you this money" and tether is bitfinex or whoever scammers saying "we promise we will give you this money" but it's 2 billion dollars and they definitely don't have the money and they already say they won't give you money

The reason you put it like that to the true believers is they're by and large libertarian nutjobs and they haaaaaaaaaate the Federal reserve
also the US govt fundamentally cannot "run out" of USD to pay its "debts" unless we get absurdly incompetent politicians who don't understand what sovereign currency means

the USD also has great value because you need it to pay taxes and practically participate in the American economy

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lemming posted:

Also, Tether cannot levy a tax.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The US government can also shoot people if they don't take your usd

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

If it gets cold at night you can turn your USD into a campfire.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oh yah you also gotta buy oil in usd in lots of places in the world lol

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I think this is what you will see:

-Exchanges that trade in USDT will value cryptos at a higher price. For example, Bitfinex used to always be about $200 behind GDax. Now they are less than $20 behind. I don't think it will be long before GDax is trading Bitcoin for less than Bitfinex.
-The value of Tether:USD drop. Dropping below 1.00 will show that there is a lack of confidence in Tether being as good as real money.
-Overall price of crypto continue to inflate, on all exchanges.

If they are lucky, there will be a large crypto rally, which would bring fresh money into the Ponzi and keep everything going for a bit.

But if that doesn't happen and they continue printing Tether, even the dumbest of Libertarians might catch on that printing $200M a day isn't something a legitimate company can do, and the value of Tether will crash.

On the Tether-only exchanges, the value of Bitcoin will skyrocket. Maybe even to 200K! The downside of course is that you are paid in Tether, which no one will want except the few remaining True Believers.
On the non-Tether exchanges, the value of Bitcoin will crash. People will rush to transfer their Bitcoin over to more legitimate exchanges like GDAX. With so much fresh supply of Bitcoin and limited buyers paying with real USD, the value will crash to one without inflation.

Also, Tether doesn't have to go very far below 1.00 to trigger a crash. Going to 0.99 would mean that people are effectively paying 1% more for ALL cryptos, leading people to flee those exchanges for exchanges where they get their full dollars worth.

Also I am assuming there is rationality to the market. Which is a bad idea with crypto. I mean people rallied Ponzicoin 13000% in one day, after it was revealed to be a scam.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not sure what you think EDI is, but EDI in terms of Hipaa is standardized documents with faxing being the electronic transfer component,

Hate to get all, "my job title is senior EDI software developer at a healthcare company," on you but EDI ANSI x12 is a data format with enveloped transactions that, in healthcare, are used to transmit all manner of hipaa sensitive PHI like claims, enrollments, eligibility, etc.. between two trading partners. If the trading partners don't agree, or the file is formatted incorrectly the dataset is usually rejected as a whole.
The preferred method of "data interchange" in this instance is FTP since a eligibility file or claims batch could have hundreds of thousands of records and faxing something like that would be a loving nightmare.
What you're talking about with block chain already loving exists in almost all aspects of health care minus the GP from Cumfart Montana or wherever who can't be bothered to adopt because it's not practical for his office.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

The fundamental flaw in this analysis is assuming that USDT is fundamentally worth anything more than $0. USDT is only useful as a mechanism of exchange as long as the community continues to believe that USDT is backed by USD 1:1. When the community figures out that this is not true, USDT will be worth $0.

At the end of your series of transactions, someone is holding 9000 USDT. The USDT will at some point in the near future be worth $0. This person is called a bag-hodler.

At any point in the series of transactions the whale did in your example, USDT could have become worth $0 to the community. The whale could become a bag-hodler in the middle of his arbitrage scheme.

At some point in your series of transactions, that 9000 USDT originated from bitfinex. Bitfinex could have sold the whale 9000 USDT for 9000 USDT. At some point along the series of transactions, Bitfinex has scammed someone out of 9000 USD.

Bitcoin also has a value of $0, but for different reasons. Bitcoins has no actual use except enabling delusional beliefs about a futuristic currency that can't actually function as a currency.

In theory the whale can exchange that 9000 USDT back to USD from Bitfinex because "tether is backed by usd" (the critical assumption).

Also, if Bitfinex themselves is doing the arb, they're not scamming anyone out of the 9K provided the money from the sale is actually ending up in the bank account backing up tether. Yes, technically the original seller is left hodling the tether.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

In theory the whale can exchange that 9000 USDT back to USD from Bitfinex because "tether is backed by usd" (the critical assumption).

Also, if Bitfinex themselves is doing the arb, they're not scamming anyone out of the 9K provided the money from the sale is actually ending up in the bank account backing up tether. Yes, technically the original seller is left hodling the tether.
Any transaction involving trading something for USDT is a scam.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Alpha Mayo posted:

Also, Tether doesn't have to go very far below 1.00 to trigger a crash. Going to 0.99 would mean that people are effectively paying 1% more for ALL cryptos, leading people to flee those exchanges for exchanges where they get their full dollars worth.
I think someone posted earlier that tether already fluctuates down to like .95 and up to 1.05 sometimes??

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

I think this is what you will see:

-Exchanges that trade in USDT will value cryptos at a higher price. For example, Bitfinex used to always be about $200 behind GDax. Now they are less than $20 behind. I don't think it will be long before GDax is trading Bitcoin for less than Bitfinex.
-The value of Tether:USD drop. Dropping below 1.00 will show that there is a lack of confidence in Tether being as good as real money.
-Overall price of crypto continue to inflate, on all exchanges.

If they are lucky, there will be a large crypto rally, which would bring fresh money into the Ponzi and keep everything going for a bit.

But if that doesn't happen and they continue printing Tether, even the dumbest of Libertarians might catch on that printing $200M a day isn't something a legitimate company can do, and the value of Tether will crash.

On the Tether-only exchanges, the value of Bitcoin will skyrocket. Maybe even to 200K! The downside of course is that you are paid in Tether, which no one will want except the few remaining True Believers.
On the non-Tether exchanges, the value of Bitcoin will crash. People will rush to transfer their Bitcoin over to more legitimate exchanges like GDAX. With so much fresh supply of Bitcoin and limited buyers paying with real USD, the value will crash to one without inflation.

Also I am assuming there is rationality to the market. Which is a bad idea with crypto. I mean people rallied Ponzicoin 13000% in one day, after it was revealed to be a scam.

Potentially the tether is a legitimate mechanism for closing this gap via the arb I mention? Not that I believe the dollars are actually there behind the scenes...

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

dick wizard posted:

Hate to get all, "my job title is senior EDI software developer at a healthcare company," on you but EDI ANSI x12 is a data format with enveloped transactions that, in healthcare, are used to transmit all manner of hipaa sensitive PHI like claims, enrollments, eligibility, etc.. between two trading partners. If the trading partners don't agree, or the file is formatted incorrectly the dataset is usually rejected as a whole.
The preferred method of "data interchange" in this instance is FTP since a eligibility file or claims batch could have hundreds of thousands of records and faxing something like that would be a loving nightmare.
What you're talking about with block chain already loving exists in almost all aspects of health care minus the GP from Cumfart Montana or wherever who can't be bothered to adopt because it's not practical for his office.

Lol this is why I’m here

Cuazl
Mar 19, 2009
Are the tether guys just buying their own butts with monopoly money? That seems like the obvious way to falsify demand. Just have their flagrantly dodgy exchange pretend funbux purchases are actual money purchases and watch the graph go UP UP UP!

The legal mess this poo poo is going to make when it finally tears itself apart is going to be interesting, that's for sure.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

dick wizard posted:

Business systems are a moving target and there's enough buyers in the market to mean there's always a system being installed or improved somewhere. So like there's regional hospitals (or banks or links in a supply chain) that are still the fax-into-an-OCR link in an EDI scheme looking to buy the newest and bestest. The number 1 and 2 costs in this sort of thing are internal change management and implementation consultants jerking off so you can ultimately get sold on the caddy of systems that might be slightly silly just cause the tech represents peanuts in the budget. But at the end of the day its in the implementer's best interest for someone to invent an alternative to sell to the new folks in the market and the tech cost isn't a worry in that sort of project and now you have a standard propagating so eventually the big fish need to buy a new implementation to talk to the Johnny come latelys.

It sounds real simple and why it might seem smart to bet on the tech or its developers and implementers but unless they get a critical mass of happy outcomes it'll get shelved because this is one of many piles of poo poo getting flung at the wall to see what sticks.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Watching the fraud take place in real time is entertaining. Bitfinex is now $60 ahead of GDAX after a pump a couple minutes ago. Not sure how arbitrage people handle this.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

Watching the fraud take place in real time is entertaining. Bitfinex is now $60 ahead of GDAX after a pump a couple minutes ago. Not sure how arbitrage people handle this.

Buy on GDAX for USD, sell on Bitfinex for USDT

Now net long USDT below par

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

$60 is 0.5% and therefore not worth arbitrage

that difference in price is not at all noteworthy