Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Master of None.

the Hollywood sexual harassment scandal arc aged amazingly well after a few months and then it suddenly aged amazingly badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Not exactly that old, but

In the last season of Black Mirror there was an episode where the basic premise was people could vote on twitter for an individual that deserved to die most and stupid magic bees would kill them (it's a weirdly schlocky episode). In the episode, the crowd is self-righteous and tend to kill people who are kind of common bullies/flavour of the week assholes. I remember watching the episode and thinking "nah that poo poo would be co-opted by alt-righters to kill some woman in the games industry right quick". Maybe that's not an episode ageing badly, but it seemed to kind of misunderstand internet groupthink I reckon. 4channer aren't ganna care about Billy from Plymouth kicking a dog.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calico Heart posted:

In the last season of Black Mirror there was an episode where the basic premise was people could vote on twitter for an individual that deserved to die most and stupid magic bees would kill them (it's a weirdly schlocky episode). In the episode, the crowd is self-righteous and tend to kill people who are kind of common bullies/flavour of the week assholes. I remember watching the episode and thinking "nah that poo poo would be co-opted by alt-righters to kill some woman in the games industry right quick". Maybe that's not an episode ageing badly, but it seemed to kind of misunderstand internet groupthink I reckon. 4channer aren't ganna care about Billy from Plymouth kicking a dog.

You probably should spoiler that, but it sounds like The Orville did it better

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked Hated by the Nation (that episode) better than the Callister but they're different beast.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calico Heart posted:

How often do reality shows with viewer votes (like Big Brother) get taken over by groups like that irl?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you read twitter these days for sure Weinstein and Trump and Aziz Ansari would be getting bee'd. The mass market vote vastly outweighs the crazy niche blocks in big popularity contests.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
well, the twist in that BM episode was that it was collecting data on the people voting, and the bees were ultimately designed to kill the millions of people who voted to kill someone else with bees, so if there's a couple of people willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good we could theoretically get rid of all the twitter chuds in one fell swoop

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If nothing else, I really wanted more Kelly McDonald and The Waif going around being buddy cops.

Pronounced
Aug 18, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

If nothing else, I really wanted more Kelly McDonald and The Waif going around being buddy cops.

:same:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

WampaLord posted:

Master of None.

It sucks now, but I guess it could get worse.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

GrandpaPants posted:

:agreed:

e: I adore Faye Marsay and wish she was in more stuff

TheKennedys has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Jan 18, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch Love, Nina. She's a quirky babysitter but it's not as insufferable as it sounds.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

sassassin posted:

How often do reality shows with viewer votes (like Big Brother) get taken over by groups like that irl?

Although it's not exactly what you are after. In England there is a show called Strictly Come Dancing, where celebrities do ballroom dances, and get progressively voted off until there is a winner. One year they had a respected political journalist John Sergeant on it. He was loving awful at dancing, as one could expect a 50+ year old political journalist to be. But he charmed the crowd, so they kept voting him to stay on. The judges, (all proper dancey types), hated this, and every week John Sergeant would be one of the two to vote off, but the viewers loved him and so just kept keeping him on, up to the point where it looked like he could win. This really pissed off the judges and the network, and eventually John Sergeant quit the show. Citing reasons of professionalism and that he didn't want to make the show into any more of a farce than a reality TV show about amateurs dancing already was.

There are also issues with the Logies, (Australian TV's povvo version of the Emmys). A lot of the awards are fan voted, including the Gold Logie for most popular TV personality. One year about 10-15 years ago, some internet rascal got into his head the idea he would put a write in candidate, (Hot Dog, a Big Brother reject who hosted a late night filler show), and try to get him to win. The internet responded as it does, and this near unknown was leading the polls for a while. The TV network stepped in and declared it void for party pooper reasons.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I remember Cupid, a "audience voted on who marries some attractive lady" show, produced by Simon Cowell, and airing in like July(worst month for TV viewership). While most contestants were normal, one contestant was super skeevy (had her get naked for a hot oil massage on their first date). Because no one was watching/voting, skeevy dude made it to the final two and it was hilarious, with the woman's friends constantly begging the voters to stop, while this lady has to go on a date with a guy who constantly made things awkward.

Made a horrible show actually watchable.

E: come to think of it, that hasn't aged well. i remember loving watching this greasy guy constantly proposing sexually-forward activities to the horror of his date. Today, I'd just feel bad.

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jan 18, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrigadierSensible posted:

Although it's not exactly what you are after. In England there is a show called Strictly Come Dancing, where celebrities do ballroom dances, and get progressively voted off until there is a winner. One year they had a respected political journalist John Sergeant on it. He was loving awful at dancing, as one could expect a 50+ year old political journalist to be. But he charmed the crowd, so they kept voting him to stay on. The judges, (all proper dancey types), hated this, and every week John Sergeant would be one of the two to vote off, but the viewers loved him and so just kept keeping him on, up to the point where it looked like he could win. This really pissed off the judges and the network, and eventually John Sergeant quit the show. Citing reasons of professionalism and that he didn't want to make the show into any more of a farce than a reality TV show about amateurs dancing already was.

Of course, it worked so well ratings-wise that they have one joke contestant on every year now (Ann Widdecombe, Ed "Ed Balls" Balls etc.).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It was amazing at how well Ed Balls handled the mockery from that.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Calico Heart posted:

Nah, if you follow Internet stuff fairly closely Gamergaters and their ilk seem like an overwhelmingly huge noise, but realistically the kind of easy-outrage things that hit real news would be the prime targets - think of that doctor who killed Cedric the lion, or the woman who threw a cat in a bin.

Besides, that episode was a year too early. A post-Brexit version would have been rich in source material with that Daily Mail "ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE" front page and its ilk.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A year too early? People vote to kill someone is a concept that's been dabbled with since even before social media was a thing. The only bit black mirror adds is magic bees, and even then I'm sure that's been in a few forms.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

poptart_fairy posted:

A year too early? People vote to kill someone is a concept that's been dabbled with since even before social media was a thing. The only bit black mirror adds is magic bees, and even then I'm sure that's been in a few forms.

Not the framing story, but the specific targets. UK media has whipped itself into a frenzy over Leave vs. Remain and we've seen some really ugly stuff come out of the right wing press because of it. I think that a post-Brexit Hated in the Nation would have been reflective of that particular zeitgeist.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh, that makes a bit more sense. This is the same country that went mad over Katie Price being on I'm A Celeb, and collectively lost it'd poo poo over Big Brother.

We don't need something as big as Brexit to kill each other. :v:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Death from bug you say?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the guy who shot harambe would have been six feet under within a week in a vote-for-death society

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Huzzah! posted:

unless....

There's a reason there's not a live person right next to him in that shot he blew her loving head off jk

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jazerus posted:

the guy who shot harambe would have been six feet under within a week in a vote-for-death society

What about Trump?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

But only after America killed the mother and the kid.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Corrode posted:

Nah, if you follow Internet stuff fairly closely Gamergaters and their ilk seem like an overwhelmingly huge noise, but realistically the kind of easy-outrage things that hit real news would be the prime targets - think of that doctor who killed Cedric the lion, or the woman who threw a cat in a bin.

Also a few times some random shlub dies because everybody accidentally writes in the name of Minnesota vacuum repairman John Smith instead of Villain of the Week Jon Smith.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The LP for Dante's Inferno hasn't aged well at all - it was fine until fraud, but when they get to the person damned for being a sorcerer and changing her gender from male to female (because to be fair the poem was written by an rear end in a top hat 800 years before it was known what was actually going on with transpeople) they just can't stop calling her a "Tranny". It's just unpleasant to listen to. Bad commentary all round.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

BioEnchanted posted:

The LP for Dante's Inferno hasn't aged well at all - it was fine until fraud, but when they get to the person damned for being a sorcerer and changing her gender from male to female (because to be fair the poem was written by an rear end in a top hat 800 years before it was known what was actually going on with transpeople) they just can't stop calling her a "Tranny". It's just unpleasant to listen to. Bad commentary all round.

I wonder what they'd have to say about Tiresias.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

kupachek posted:

I wonder what they'd have to say about Tiresias.

I think it was Tiresias. I didn't know the story at the time of that post.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

BioEnchanted posted:

I think it was Tiresias. I didn't know the story at the time of that post.

I've never heard Tiresias referred to as a sorcerer, but it was the first thing to come to mind.

You are correct though, it is Tiresias in the circle of Fraud. We both learned a little something.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wait which LP are we talking about.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Wait which LP are we talking about.

Lawrence Friday's from 2010. I watched it on the internet archive.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ouch. Do you have a specific time code or something for where that poo poo crops up? Last thing I want to do is sift through that crap more than I need to, but I'm morbidly curious.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

About 8 minutes (don't know the exact time code, the first half or third) into the first video of Part 10. They stop talking about the character eventually, but it's an ugly 3 minutes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Had to dig around for it a bit but yeah, there it is. Eesh. I ~mysteriously~ didn't join in, and thus feel a lot better now.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The episode of Jeopardy! that aired Tuesday, August 25, 2015.

I still remember the answers and where the Daily Doubles are.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MariusLecter posted:

The episode of Jeopardy! that aired Tuesday, August 25, 2015.

I still remember the answers and where the Daily Doubles are.

Why? On all counts, why?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

kupachek posted:

I've never heard Tiresias referred to as a sorcerer, but it was the first thing to come to mind.

You are correct though, it is Tiresias in the circle of Fraud. We both learned a little something.

Tiresias supposedly invented augury. Ornithomancy is surely a form of sorcery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

That was the new station manager. Everybody knew he was gay except Frasier. That ep even won a GLAAD award.

The WWE tag team "Billy and Chuck" won a GLAAD award in 2002 despite being extremely homophobic and anti-gay. I don't think they were very discerning around that time period