Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

How about YOU show chapter and verse about how HDCP physically prevents this because that link up there specifically states it's possible on Linux, and guess what miners aren't forced to use Windows (and, note, even on Windows, they can install their own device drivers with access to the PCI bus and Nvidia can't prevent that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

e: god I can't believe I'm doing all this consulting for free, hire me already Jen-Hsun :monocle:

no, you're just being a dumbass, none of your solutions can work in real life

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you have HDCP then you could run whatever, regardless of signature, as long as HDCP mode is enabled.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Please proceed governor. Show me a method where I can read out a HDCP 2.2 framebuffer from another process. Should be simple right?

In the second message you say from another process. Do you agree that HDCP does not prevent a process from reading its own framebuffer? The first seems to suggest otherwise.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RichardA posted:

In the second message you say from another process. Do you agree that HDCP does not prevent a process from reading its own framebuffer? The first seems to suggest otherwise.

I don't know whether I want him to keep digging himself deeper in the hole of poo poo he doesn't know about or to just stop posting altogether.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

feedmegin posted:

How about YOU show chapter and verse about how HDCP physically prevents this because that link up there specifically states it's possible on Linux, and guess what miners aren't forced to use Windows (and, note, even on Windows, they can install their own device drivers with access to the PCI bus and Nvidia can't prevent that).

That's not actually an answer. You're just trying to dodge the question... how can you actually read out a HDCP 2.2 framebuffer from another (non-authorized) process? Answer the question. Ideally, let's see a code sample - since so far HDCP 2.2 is unbroken, the burden of proof is on you. You are the one making positive claims with the burden of proof. I highly suspect you don't have anything. I'm really interested to see what you've got though.

Could you create a hypothetical DRM authorization scheme such that an authorized process could have compute privileges on the hardware, and non-authorized processes could not - yes or no? And why? Please provide detail in your answer.

Yeah, people running Linux and other open driver stacks would probably be hosed. Sucks to be them, in this scenario. Why is that impossible in a technical sense, bearing in mind that the VBIOS in question will not generally allow you to run OpenCL or to push pixels out to an unauthorized display? Please provide detail in your answer.

I'm pretty sure you'll just pick a subset of these topic to address and pretend that it validates your point entirely. I really want to see your HDCP 2.2 breakthrough code though. You've talked a big game about how vulnerable HDCP is, it's time to put up or shut up. Read out some Netflix 4K clips for me, and push some code so I can do it too, if it's that easy to read out a HDCP 2.2 framebuffer.

Are you all talk, or no?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 20, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
:10bux: says you can't deliver a utility that can crop out an arbitrary 15m segment of a 4K netflix show at full resolution for VLC playback, in the next 7x24 hours from this post (given a legit Netflix user/password/yadda yadda).

:toxx: If you agree, one of us gets banned. Gauntlet is thrown, I'll do it if you will. Yes or no?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 20, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

:10bux: says you can't deliver a utility that can crop out an arbitrary 15m segment of a 4K netflix show at full resolution for VLC playback, in the next 7x24 hours from this post (given a legit Netflix user/password/yadda yadda).

:toxx: If you agree, one of us gets banned. Gauntlet is thrown, I'll do it if you will. Yes or no?

Laffo no I am not doing this, I've spent far too much time already arguing with your dumb rear end. I'm out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

feedmegin posted:

Laffo no I am not doing this, I've spent far too much time already arguing with your dumb rear end. I'm out.

Yeah, all talk no sack. Knew you were talking poo poo. And your cheerleaders too.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There are HDMI splitters that do exactly that. FYI.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stanley Pain posted:

There are HDMI splitters that do exactly that. FYI.

Is that a utility that can deliver a 15m segment of HDCP 2.2 content (i.e. Netflix 4K)? Lol no. As I said, the only attacks on HDCP 2.2 at the moment are downgrade attacks. Certainly nothing that can rip framebuffers out of VRAM like feedmegin claimed. Let alone if they really stepped up the DRM.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

no he has to get someone to develop an app for him over $10

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

no he has to get someone to develop an app for him over $10

he's talking poo poo and can't actually deliver, film at 11. trading accounts is the standard wager here.

truth: HDCP 2.2 is not actually broken right now, the only way to break it is to get the devices to agree to a lower standard. If he thinks he can break it, I demand satisfaction.

he can't

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 20, 2018

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

lol, i don't think you realize who's coming out worse in this exchange

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

shrike82 posted:

lol, i don't think you realize who's coming out worse in this exchange

that's implicit when you throw the gauntlet... he can pussy out of the toxx and I am on the hook.

But yeah, he can't actually deliver, so it's fine. Hence why he pussied out. High-level HDCP is actually pretty secure. He can't deliver, he's wrong.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is everything ok? you've been in continuous meltdown mode the past couple weeks with the "spectre is actually good news for Intel and bad for AMD" and now "nvidia DRM = no bitcoins"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

shrike82 posted:

is everything ok? you've been in continuous meltdown mode the past couple weeks with the "spectre is actually good news for Intel and bad for AMD" and now "nvidia DRM = no bitcoins"

The DRM thing is entirely a hypothetical. As I've stated repeatedly. It's a disagreement over a couple technical hypotheticals, that people seem to really dislike for some reason.

As for the Spectre thing... Meltdown really doesn't affect anything as far as consumers are concerned. On the other hand Spectre does... as far as consumers are concerned Spectre is actually way worse than Meltdown. As proven by benchmarks. Meltdown has 0% average impact on gaming on Intel, Spectre is like 10% or more. To the extent that I feel my 5820K might have been a bad decision overall.

Not gonna say that I have always been the biggest backer of AMD over the last year... they really haven't given me much reason for hope over the last couple years. I expect the least from them lately, and am occasionally surprised. :jeb:

But I do look at the evidence when people shove it in my face. I'm a consummate gamer in terms of my workload, and I'm thinking reeeeeallll seriously about a TR 2950X next year, if AMD can push the clocks up to 4.5 GHz or more...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 20, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Paul you're normally a pretty decent contributor but seriously you're kinda melty lately, maybe do some yoga stretches and have a hot tea, whatever works for you

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rastor posted:

Paul you're normally a pretty decent contributor but seriously you're kinda melty lately, maybe do some yoga stretches and have a hot tea, whatever works for you

yeah, I know, I'm waaaay stressed out lately. I'm working on it.

The callouts every 3rd post don't help. If all you have to contribute is cheerleading you can shut the gently caress up, that's not even supposed to be allowed here. By and large, I actually do mean my posts, but I do post sarcastically and/or narrowly-technically a lot.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 20, 2018

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The callouts every 3rd post don't help. If all you have to contribute is cheerleading you can shut the gently caress up, that's not even supposed to be allowed. By and large, I actually do mean my posts, but I do post sarcastically and/or narrowly-technically a lot.

We all go on tilt sometimes man. poo poo, I argued in favor of gambling in video games in the PUBG thread. You could do worse.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

tehinternet posted:

poo poo, I argued in favor of gambling in video games in the PUBG thread.

:dogbutton:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
does anyone else want to claim that HDCP 2.2 is broken now, or that you can read from a HDCP 2.2 framebuffer, or whatever?

All I need is some proof... 7 days.... :toxx:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 20, 2018

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it would be nice if you could explain how it works perfectly atm, and why downgrading is irrelevant to your goalposts

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it would be nice if you could explain how it works perfectly atm, and why downgrading is irrelevant to your goalposts

Who said it works perfectly atm? or the other thing?

this is the stuff I'm talking about. don't hurt yourself moving those goalposts.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 20, 2018

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Holy poo poo throw out that bad batch of spice, Paul, and chill the gently caress out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Who said it works perfectly atm? or the other thing?

this is the stuff I'm talking about. don't hurt yourself moving those goalposts.

Because you can get perfect UHD+HDR rips right this very moment.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The callouts every 3rd post don't help. If all you have to contribute is cheerleading you can shut the gently caress up, that's not even supposed to be allowed here. By and large, I actually do mean my posts, but I do post sarcastically and/or narrowly-technically a lot.

Then don't post for a while man. Like seriously, take a break from the forums. I think people are calling you out (myself included) because you're managing to come across as angry and ranty in a lot of your posts and some of them border on making you look a wee bit on the unhinged side of things.

More importantly, deal with whatever stressors you have first and foremost. If your stressors include this forum it's probably a good time to re-evaluate a few priorities in life :shobon:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Thanks.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Naffer posted:

There are probably decent guides on the internet for them, but what I found is that many people oversold how much they could drop the voltage and keep a stable card.
Basically switch the voltage to manual (marked A) and take down the voltages that show up to the right. Don't mess with the voltages on the low frequencies. Concentrate on the ones in the top 3 bands (B, C and D). Those are the voltages that the card uses when it is running a high speed. My particular brand of card uses 1137, 1150, and 1150mV for those last three voltages. Drop them gently, maybe 20 mV at a time then play a demanding game or run a benchmark for a while to see if the game runs fine. If you keep doing that eventually the game will crash and you'll want to edge the voltages back up. Say it crashes at 1085 mV, well you might want to use 1100 mV even if it was stable at 1090 mV just to have some buffer.

On my card I had crashes using :
1080 1085 1090
I didn't have crashes using:
1080 1090 1095
So I use:
1095 1100 1105

If your cooling is good and your card stays pegged at the top frequency it will only really be using the top number for voltage. As a result, you might miss if your undervolt on the lower frequency bands is making the card unstable infrequently, so I'd be conservative with all but the top band.

Follow up question on this, does the memory setting matter at all?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
While you guys were arguing about HDCP for some reason, my 1070 is back to mining >$5/day so I'm afraid the crash would have to wait a bit still.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/jwangARK/status/954429531678543872

So that's why Nvidia can't just ramp up GPU production, TSMC are too busy making 16nm mining ASICs :allears:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
See after that graph Pauls rants on HDCP don't seem so insane, no?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at graphing "key word mentions"

one of the few things worse than wall street is techbros playing at being financial analysts

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

shrike82 posted:

one of the few things worse than wall street is techbros playing at being financial analysts

I mean, that's how we ended up with buttcoins in the first place, so...

redeyes posted:

See after that graph Pauls rants on HDCP don't seem so insane, no?

The problem with his line of argument isn't that there's no possible technical way to restrict mining or make it so obnoxious that most won't bother. The problem is that any method of doing so would be so heavy handed as to piss off the entire legitimate market, too--throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. Any system that wasn't as heavy handed would be highly likely to be too weak to be a meaningful barrier.

I mean, poo poo, they could just cut out CUDA support entirely and call it a day. But they won't because that's stupid and the cure would be worse than the illness.

Rather, they've come out in the last day or two and done exactly what a few of us figured they would: ask retailers nicely to try to restrict card sales so individuals have a better shot at picking one up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Paul, I like you on most days, and this isn't "calling you out", but on this page you veered so far into wrestling promo tough-guy talk that I imagined Triple H drawling on and on while I read your posts. I haven't even watched WWE in three years, but as soon as you said "no sack, just talk" I mentally heard the sound of the mic dropping on the mat and Motorhead starting up.

"So Brock, you think YOU can beat HDCP 2.2? Because I got ten bucks and a dozen guys from Netflix in that locker room that says you can't."

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

I’m by no means an expert, and have not tried it but doesn’t Looking Glass (https://github.com/gnif/LookingGlass) copy framebuffers etc. I might have completly misunderstood everything that’s been going on the last few pages though. :confuoot:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It does copy framebuffers, but I don't think it copies HDCP 2.2-protected ones, which appears to be the sticking point, here.

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It does copy framebuffers, but I don't think it copies HDCP 2.2-protected ones, which appears to be the sticking point, here.

Thanks for the clarification!
Still looks like cool project though :shobon:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

feedmegin posted:

It does not do this, though. It stops things physically connected to the HDMI port displaying unauthorised content. Thats why its part of HDMI. The CPU can read it just fine.
Try taking a screenshot or streaming your screen while playing a protected content.. If you could just pull the video frames back off the GPU that would entirely defeat the purpose of the copy protection.

DrDork posted:

The problem with his line of argument isn't that there's no possible technical way to restrict mining or make it so obnoxious that most won't bother. The problem is that any method of doing so would be so heavy handed as to piss off the entire legitimate market, too--throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. Any system that wasn't as heavy handed would be highly likely to be too weak to be a meaningful barrier.
But that's not the argument he's making, in fact he's specifically agreed from the start and multiple times since then that it would be incredibly heavy handed with a lot of collateral damage and is thus highly unlikely to ever happen. He's just saying that those claiming such an approach is impossible are wrong, which they are.

It's entirely a "someone is wrong on the internet" technical jerk-off session, but we are on an internet forum talking about GPUs so...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

but how do i mine this on my banana based gpu

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cygni posted:

but how do i mine this on my banana based gpu

You don't. We all know that GPUs are for only mining burrito-backed coins.

For banana-backed coins you're gonna need a custom ASIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
If it wasn't a crapshoot for a replacement I'd sell my 1070 for twice the buy-in and just grab a $40 GTX 660 for a month or two. The most intense thing I've run lately has been X3TC, and I'm pretty sure that will run on a toaster. Maybe I should get the 660 anyways as a backup card.