Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHoiLclXI2M&t=4985s

This is the point when the mind of a Star Citizen backer, with a law degree, collapses under the weight of the realisation: CIG are screwed, and both your pledges and dreams are lost.

Bouncing between the denial and bargaining phases :lol:

How much are you in for, lawyer-commando?

Just me or those video times are off?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

Paul Younger is fighting the good fight and Godspeed to him.

These are such interesting times. Quietly and with few obvious tweening points, the last two years have seen a turnaround in consensus about crowdfunded gaming. Even when the story about a particular project isn’t about Star Citizen, it’s about Star Citizen.

I know very little about Camelot Unchained or Mark Jacobs besides that it’s late. But man, what a refreshing thing to see a guy acknowledging “it’s late, backers SHOULD be mad, it’s on ME to deliver not them to forgive because Miyamoto-san / ‘muh Games Development’ / ‘Diablo 3 took 10 years’”. Maybe he’s a slicker con man but his tone is so starkly contrasted against the duplicitous, revisionist moneygrubbing of the Roberts and Garriott types out there.

This guy is explicitly positioning himself to be on the right side of a future reckoning. The potential collapse of Star Citizen (and lesser giants) is clearly a big concern.

EUROGAMER: Why the people behind crowdfunded Camelot Unchained won't sell spaceships or castles

Boy, I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he’s talking to his new CIG hire about these things... I’m tempted to back them just on principle, though :lol: at sword wielding fantasy game nerds. Real men play Space Games, amirite?

Toops? Scruff? Hello? Guys? (taps mike) Is this thing on?

But seriously good for him for at least talking the Lawful Good talk. It beats Chaotic Moronic Evil.

This is amazing. That Eurogamer article is amazing. I missed all of this.

Too tired to post more right now but everyone should read this article and read G0rf's observations

DISCO LANDO - you are only lying to yourself. Stop lying.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

These are such interesting times. Quietly and with few obvious tweening points, the last two years have seen a turnaround in consensus about crowdfunded gaming. Even when the story about a particular project isn’t about Star Citizen, it’s about Star Citizen.

I know very little about Camelot Unchained or Mark Jacobs besides that it’s late. But man, what a refreshing thing to see a guy acknowledging “it’s late, backers SHOULD be mad, it’s on ME to deliver not them to forgive because Miyamoto-san / ‘muh Games Development’ / ‘Diablo 3 took 10 years’”. Maybe he’s a slicker con man but his tone is so starkly contrasted against the duplicitous, revisionist moneygrubbing of the Roberts and Garriott types out there.

This guy is explicitly positioning himself to be on the right side of a future reckoning. The potential collapse of Star Citizen (and lesser giants) is clearly a big concern.

EUROGAMER: Why the people behind crowdfunded Camelot Unchained won't sell spaceships or castles

Boy, I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he’s talking to his new CIG hire about these things... I’m tempted to back them just on principle, though :lol: at sword wielding fantasy game nerds. Real men play Space Games, amirite?

But seriously good for him for at least talking the Lawful Good talk. It beats Chaotic Moronic Evil.

It´s all bullshit. The SC community voted with hands and ears to expand scope and continue crowdfunding. This guys has zero loving idea about ethics in business and game development.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 20, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

After reading this article, the final realization hit me. It's not as if I didn't already know this, but it truly hit me for the first time: Chris Roberts is going to take money until the moment CIG closes its doors.

In fact, it's worse than that: he'll take money after the internal decision to close up shop occurs, but before the actual website goes dark. With the Crytek, and other, lawsuits looming, the danger for CIG to have a sudden collapse is quite real, and in stark contrast to Mark Jacobs, Chris will keep on taking that last backer dollar: all in bad faith; all because, in his mind, it's owed to him; all as tribute to himself.

Chris Roberts: writer without words, visionary with no vision, taking every dollar he can lay his hands on from whatever source isn't holding onto it tightly enough. Because the world owes hundreds of millions of dollars to a man who reworks pre-alpha assets dozens of times, but forgot to create a game to put them in.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

After reading this article, the final realization hit me. It's not as if I didn't already know this, but it truly hit me for the first time: Chris Roberts is going to take money until the moment CIG closes its doors.

Wait until you realize that Ortwin is going to take money even after CIG closes its doors.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Scruffpuff posted:

Dude has a custom edition Porsche. There's little more you can do to scream "pretend rich" than that. For anyone with any self awareness, it would be embarrassing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Organic icebreaker?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It's really weird that the timeline of Derek Smart knowing something exists is so important to you.

:gary:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Nah what's weird is that when you criticize Derek Smart in any way you become a pariah to his entourage like some kind of mirror universe backers offended you said their game doesn't exist. Apparently in this giant crazy clusterfuck some topics are beyond reproach.

Foo Diddley is currently lying and telling everyone on the discord that I am a nazi sympathizer.

It's really weird that you give a poo poo what anyone else thinks. Also how loving easy are you to troll?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hobold posted:

gently caress, derek was right about something.

Quick, how can moma spin this into a win for him?

Gotta come up with something for him to use before he hurts himself trying.

The only thing MoMA knows how to spin is the rings around Port Olisar, and even then they kept trying to get away from him and his nonstop talk about the latest asteroid belt he had purchased.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

quote:

Defendants intentionally breached the GLA by using CryEngine to market, develop, and incentivize funding for more than one game, thereby enriching themselves by millions of dollars without payment for such use.
Lol, get hosed Crobblz. Had you finished one game by 2014, none of this would have happened. Did things now get significantly more than "stale" or what? You fat dolt.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/xStew360x/status/954530727785312259

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Judge: Mr. Roberts kindly show to this court how did you create the GLA with Crytek

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Camdoz/status/954493124058923008

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

SC defenders always seem to have bad spelling and grammar. Sad!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

G0RF posted:

Mark is a straight shooter and tells the truth. He has had a few big backers withdraw and he told the community. He also told them it was fair and their right to do so and to not act badly against them, that he had to earn the trust again.
That is how you handle poo poo.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Scruffpuff posted:

And beyond. It's pretty clear by now that the internal strategy of the CIG directors has been to ride this thing down in flames, hide the Star Citizen IP in asset shelters, let CIG itself burn and then Phoenix with Cloud Imperium Rights or Holdings or whatever. Then Chris can start all over again without any backers breathing down his neck, certain that he'll produce the best drat space sim ever this time.

It doesn't matter whether or not it can be done, just that Chris and co believe it can be done.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

SomethingJones posted:

Skadden's poker hand is most of the way to a straight, CIG's comedy lawyer is holding a double running buck-face with cheese and a deflated party balloon

CIG can

1. Fold. Bankrupt the company.
2. Bribe. Settle the matter by paying big wads of $
3. Bluff. Fight it in SPACE COURT

Rumourmill says that Chris is on the phone right now to the Count from Sesame Street to find out how much money they have left

realistically - do they the 30+ million they would need right now to cover + legal fees. Then Crytek would have to have a man in the office to look over the books and code to make sure they are both getting the updates and royalties that are required by the gla.

On top Crispo needs a second license and negotiate that for squib42. And I bet that wont be a cheap loving deal.

That is only if Crytek want to play ball.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I think you'll find that's a mute point

:colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

roflingstones posted:

"I'm not a lawyer but" is the most convincing way to offer anything of value on this subject imo

To be honest, every post starting with a variation of "I'm not X, but" just makes me lay my middlefinger on my scroll wheel and suddenly, the entire worthless post just rushes by, unread

XK posted:

I'd be more concerned if they had good spelling and grammar

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Calling it

CIG will go under after the case goes to court

shitizens blame the conspiracy between Crytek and Goons for CIG's failure

CR will start another project to which his loyal cultists will gladly follow him to

it will be called Second Life: IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Fortunately for us the judge isn't going to scam everyone with the possible results of the lawsuit for a decade so the backers won't be able to screech "NUH UH" forever on this one.

AP posted:

It's really weird that you give a poo poo what anyone else thinks. Also how loving easy are you to troll?

To do this correctly you need to accidentally puppetmaster yourself

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 20, 2018

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Loxbourne posted:

And beyond. It's pretty clear by now that the internal strategy of the CIG directors has been to ride this thing down in flames, hide the Star Citizen IP in asset shelters, let CIG itself burn and then Phoenix with Cloud Imperium Rights or Holdings or whatever. Then Chris can start all over again without any backers breathing down his neck, certain that he'll produce the best drat space sim ever this time.

It doesn't matter whether or not it can be done, just that Chris and co believe it can be done.

The truly sad thing is that most likely he has been in preservation mode since about 15 or so when he know he couldnt make the game as promised. Now he is just making assets for his next game in an engine that can handle his vision.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

The interesting thing to me is how pointless all this was.

According to Crytek, CIG got a cut price license deal for Cryengine, they could make SQ42 as long as it was launched from the Star Citizen.exe and not sold separately, had to keep Cryengine code under NDA, sought approval for third party contractors to use Cryengine (which Crytek had a reasonable duty to grant), had to use Cryengine for Star Citizen, with splash screen/logo and give Crytek bugfixes (which would just have been the changes CIG made to Cryengine, so a copy of the game code).

CIG dispute some of that but both sides agree that there was no more money due to Crytek.

So instead of just chugging along in their normal inept manner, Chris Roberts pisses Crytek off by refusing to call it Cryengine, "it's StaRenGine", sells SQ42 separately, removes the splash screen/logo and says they've moved to Lumberyard.

What do CIG get out of all that? Selling SQ42 separately as a $15 gamepack won't bring in much money as all the existing backers had it already, you could have just increased the price of the existing combined starter packages. They get some publicity from (press release only) move to Lumberyard, but the media see it as an engine change which historically isn't great, so that's not all positive coverage. They get to appear at Twitch events, Amazon give them a stand each time and promote them in a few videos.

Engine support switches from Crytek, who they paid for support, to Amazon who they didn't. They hired as many Crytek engineers as they could in the past so support shouldn't even be an issue. It's been a year since the public change so they've maybe been in contact with Amazon support for ~two years. This is Chris Roberts so he's probably fallen out with Amazon management by now and their engineers will not be bending over backwards to help.

If they'd just stolen Crytek staff, shown code on bugsmashers and forgot to get (rubber stamp) approval for a third party, Crytek would likely have just thought they were dicks and certainly not gone to court over it.

It was all pointless, pissing off Crytek far beyond stealing their staff didn't gain CIG any real long term advantage that I can see, none, ok maybe they have a cheaper game server cost deal but even that's doubtful. So now they have to settle with Crytek or discovery will open Pandora's box.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

chris seems like a raging egomaniac and colossal rear end hole so this doesnt really surprise me

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If they gently caress with Bannerlord I'm afraid I'm going to have to put on all black and take a picture of me with an airsoft rifle

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

It's dead, Jim.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

hey CIG intern, let me explain something if you dont quite get it yet. Someone in skadden/crytek is feeding information to derek. This means any incriminating information on your company that is gotten through discovery will undoubtedly be posted on the internet. It behooves CIG to settle ASAP them moment discovery is granted, but please dont tell any of your higher ups at the company because that would stop the fun train

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Crytekkin' across the puny 'Verse.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Dusty Lens posted:

Has anyone said 10 to 20 for the chairman yet

Nice

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

RSI: You can't sue us because it was CIG who signed your stupid deal! :smug:

Skadden:

3. If RSI Is Not A Party To The GLA, Then Crytek's Claims For Copyright Infringement Are Even Stronger:

Defendants' suggestion that RSI is not bound by the GLA igores the implications that holding would have for Crytek's claims of copyright infringement. If the Court determines that RSI is not bound by the GLA, then RSI was not authorized to obtain Crytek's code: RSI is not included on Exhibit 3 to the GLA, which lists the "[a]uthorized third party developer(s)" who are entitled to receive access to Crytek's technology pursuant to Section 2.6 of the GLA. (GLA Ex. 3 at 19). If RSI is not a party to the GLA, then CIG had no license to distribute Crytek's technology to RSI. And a fortiori, RSI had no license to (for example) publish Crytek's source code through the "Bugsmashers" videos hosted on RSI's web site.

lmao forever the goose is smelling nice now

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beef Hardcheese posted:

get hosed grammar idiots

Yesssss hahaha

loving idiots

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHoiLclXI2M&t=1688s

The best bit of the French video is when he sticks up for CIG by saying their defence (RSI is not bound by the GLA) is false and therefore :gary:

That part was absolutely amazing to me. An IP "lawyer" who doesn't understand something as simple as an Exhibit that's part of a contract, makes whoever signs it, party to the contract.

And get this, he is basically saying that RSI was party to Exhibit 4, but not party to the GLA. Even though the Exhibit is part of the GLA.

It's not loving enough that the website, IP addresses, several assets etc, all bear the RSI name/brand, and which have access to CryEngine.

This is why he isn't actively practicing law anymore, instead he relies on Patreon and $100 per video for income. Makes sense to me.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

CIG claiming their procedural planet is first of its kind and ground breaking

just want to leave this "TECH DEMO" here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlKz6r1uCfw

roflingstones
May 19, 2009

EminusSleepus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyvH6ayhLwg
stiill better than star citizen though

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

EminusSleepus posted:

Or Proland, which is a few years older, and whose source code is publicly available here : https://proland.inrialpes.fr/download.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvskrieOWPw

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

"I'm not a lawyer, but," I say as I commit the most heinous crime known to man on a little known platform known as "kickstarter" as I hit publish.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PST posted:

Non-practising lawyers from 3rd rate universities talking about areas of the law who aren't their specialties are one-step up from random people relying on wikipedia for their answers.

I spent 6 years of my publishing career dealing with copyright, and kept running into lawyers who didn't specialise in it who knew gently caress and all about it, especially international complications. French is just a.n.other internet lawyer who happens to have a degree but is more interested in his hits on youtube than the actual subject he's bloviating about.

:perfect:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Man, the backers are really going to get their minds blown when the rantings of an internet lawyer prove to be largely false and the Feb 9th hearing ends in 5 minutes with a flat denial to the MtD and an order to get this shitshow really rolling with schedules for discovery and trial, etc. I wonder what idiocy we'll hear then. "This going straight to the Supreme Court!" "Judge is <vile racist slur>!" "The judiciary is rigged!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Seriously moma do you think CIG will be lucky enough to beat Crytek down to a settlement figure of only half the 177 million dollars they claim to have raised?