Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The not-Nazi's Twitter is loving amazing right now.

https://twitter.com/DarwinWarrior

Is there a hitler-turning-into-corncob.gif yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tweet for those interested in more Gor-y details:

https://twitter.com/jennygadget/status/954583423166763008

Edit:

Oh, the starting point is even more :discourse:

https://twitter.com/SpyderBite/status/954595261308837890

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Jan 20, 2018

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit:

He looks like Thomas Ligotti just woke up and decided he was gonna be really fat and stupid.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hate Fibration posted:

He looks like Thomas Ligotti just woke up and decided he was gonna be really fat and stupid.

#yourfavisproblematic

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memento posted:

There's nothing better than Trumpkins telling Tom Morello he should stick with music and stay out of politics because he has no qualifications to discuss them

the joke is that he studied political science at Harvard and worked for a senator for a couple of years

That Instagram comment where he dunked on someone who was pissed off at his gently caress trump guitar with the ol’ “you don’t need to be an honors graduate from Harvard in political science to think trump is the worst, but as an honors grad from Harvard in political science, gently caress that guy” thing was loving beautiful

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I can confirm Piers Anthony's books are about loving everything you could conceivably gently caress.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit:

I abandoned mainstream podcasts when one of them had a story about a troubled 12 year old hitchhiking to Piers Anthony's house and getting good life advice from him without ever mentioning that he is a pedophile

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I don't know about public libraries, but I read Piers Anthony in junior high, and got them from the school library. Being a 14 year old girl at the time, it didn't seem that weird that teenage girls were hooking up with grown men in the Apprentice Adept and Bio of a Space Tyrant books. The last thing a 14 year old girl wants to daydream about is dating 14 year old boys. The highschool library had a few Gor books too. Anything to get kids to read, I guess.

The Xanth books would probably be in the juvenile/teen section of any library though. Xanth is weird, but it's all pretty G rated.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't know about public libraries, but I read Piers Anthony in junior high, and got them from the school library. Being a 14 year old girl at the time, it didn't seem that weird that teenage girls were hooking up with grown men in the Apprentice Adept and Bio of a Space Tyrant books. The last thing a 14 year old girl wants to daydream about is dating 14 year old boys. The highschool library had a few Gor books too. Anything to get kids to read, I guess.

The Xanth books would probably be in the juvenile/teen section of any library though. Xanth is weird, but it's all pretty G rated.

You missed a lot of hosed-up poo poo in Xanth I guess

e:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MissEchelon posted:

e:

Not knowing who Piers Anthony was, I assumed this was a photoshop.

Nope, it turns out.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The highschool library had a few Gor books too.

The only Got book that should exist is Houseplants of Gor. :colbert:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is naming your kid Piers basically just branding them to be a lovely human being? Are there any worthwhile Piers?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

GrandpaPants posted:

Is naming your kid Piers basically just branding them to be a lovely human being? Are there any worthwhile Piers?

Blackpool Pier's OK.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I read Wizard's First Rule when I find it in a school library. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress too. I'm pretty sure that it was (is?) basically assumed by librarians that fantasy and sci-fi were for kids and that they didn't need to bother checking for inappropriate content.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

GrandpaPants posted:

They're labelled appropriately.
Pierce = good
Piers = bad

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Another thing a lot of teenagers don’t notice about the Xanth books is that they’re loving terrible and Piers Anthony is one of the shittiest authors in a genre full of lovely authors.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah I remember I read a lot of David Eddings as a teenager, and while he was pretty dreadful, he wasn't nearly Piers Anthony levels of bad.

Anyway. Jan Michael Vincent, or whoever is pretending to be him on twitter, is either insane or doing a really long bit.

https://twitter.com/Airwolf4Life/status/954497246334210048

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He's probably panicking, there are only 16 Jan Michael Vincents left. Only enough for a quadrant :ohdear:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Memento posted:

Yeah I remember I read a lot of David Eddings as a teenager, and while he was pretty dreadful, he wasn't nearly Piers Anthony levels of bad.

Anyway. Jan Michael Vincent, or whoever is pretending to be him on twitter, is either insane or doing a really long bit.

https://twitter.com/Airwolf4Life/status/954497246334210048

welp

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit:

What are these guys even talking about? I can't follow this twitter stuff apparently...

Something about some guys books not being in the YA section. And that guy wrote books with problematic ages attached to romantic leads? And something about canon for young adults?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sunken fleet posted:

What are these guys even talking about? I can't follow this twitter stuff apparently...

Something about some guys books not being in the YA section. And that guy wrote books with problematic ages attached to romantic leads? And something about canon for young adults?

See, you got most of the words, now you just have to put them in the right order and think about what they mean. You can do it, we all believe in you!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Mara Wilson is cool and good so I just assume any guy that argues with her regarding problematic childsex is a loving moron.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

I abandoned mainstream podcasts when one of them had a story about a troubled 12 year old hitchhiking to Piers Anthony's house and getting good life advice from him without ever mentioning that he is a pedophile

That was this American Life? Or Radiolab maybe? Something I heard on NPR. Anyway, the only Piers Anthony novel I've read is Firefly, which if you weren't aware is less a book about a giant killer firefly than it is a giant defense of pedophilia. Dude is kind of a monster.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I read Wizard's First Rule when I find it in a school library. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress too. I'm pretty sure that it was (is?) basically assumed by librarians that fantasy and sci-fi were for kids and that they didn't need to bother checking for inappropriate content.

:raise: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress doesn't seem out of place in a high school library, although you could find better use of that shelf space these days.

Wizard's First Child Sacrifice Torture Wand BSDM Sex Ninja Orgy Rule would be a lot more surprising in a school library, although it occurs to me that everyone I know who read it (including me) read it as a teen anyways, because we had no taste whatsoever.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i read a ton of [Xanth plus Killobyte] Piers Anthony from the ages of 11 to 16 and i was totally into the magic system and the kinda pervness

it was mostly just a bunch of puns plus occasional risque puns

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MissEchelon posted:

e:

Herdanties seems like a reasonable name for a mythological beast.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

Mara Wilson is cool and good so I just assume any guy that argues with her regarding problematic childsex is a loving moron.

Especially considering that the reason she got into the internet in such a big way, even guesting on Channel Awesome occasionally and writing an article for Cracked, is because of problematic websites - to hear her tell it in the article, when she was younger she came across a website that was dedicated to photos of underage actors feet, and one of her pics had found it's way there - at the time she was too young to quite get what was going on and just thought it was funny, but recently (this part is speculation on my part based on the aforementioned anecdote) she's basically taking her image back online by taking a more active presence.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Any famous child actor that gets into adulthood without massive problems is too good for this world.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Any famous child actor that gets into adulthood without massive problems is too good for this world.

That was actually why she was on Cracked - her article was http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-child-stars-go-crazy-an-insiders-perspective/ - she actually mentioned that she wished that she could have been there to give Lindsey Lohan advice before she broke, because the difference between her and other child stars was as follows - most stars get into it because their parents want them to - Mara got into it because she wanted to. Her mother was against it from the start. Her advice is basically "Stop when it stops being fun."

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Jan 20, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

BioEnchanted posted:

He's probably panicking, there are only 16 Jan Michael Vincents left. Only enough for a quadrant :ohdear:

I need a goddamn Jan Michael Vincent right now!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

It really isn't. I read Xanth a lot as a kid, too, and only remembered puns and fantasy romps.

Then I listened to this podcast covering the first book and holy poo poo there was a lot you don't pick up on when you're a dumb kid.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

At the cajoling of a friend, I read On a Pale Horse and didn't totally hate it. They sold it to me as a "more serious but still interesting series with the humerous undercurrent of Discworld".

Then I read Bearing an Hourglass and it was a convoluted garbage book written by a not-funny sadman.

That's my Piers Anthony is bad story.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Puppy Time posted:

It really isn't. I read Xanth a lot as a kid, too, and only remembered puns and fantasy romps.

Then I listened to this podcast covering the first book and holy poo poo there was a lot you don't pick up on when you're a dumb kid.

One of the more recent books, Air Apparent, features a character known as a Debra who is a 13-year-old girl who is constantly pressured to take off her bra. She is based on a real girl.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BigglesSWE posted:

I don't know, you tell me:

https://twitter.com/SpyderBite/status/954716833470234624

:barf:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I was in Iraq in 2007, and one of the few things I wad allowed to do in the TOC (when we weren't getting shot at and directing anti-mortar fire) was read. They had a room filled with books from USO gift boxes, so I read.

Got a copy of Again, Dangerous Visions, Good Omens and Isaac Asimov's Gold from that collection that I snuck out. Also read Wizards First Rule and On a Pale Horse.

Piers just kinda bored me. Goodkind actively courted my disgust with how bad his book was.

Kinda glad I didn't find any more of Piers Anthony, dude sounds like crap.

Also, Heinlein is kinda...weird on that scale? On one hand you have Job and Glory Road, where the female protagonists drive most of the plot with their character and status to the point that the male protag ends up chasing after them. Then you have Friday and some of his other works that are...um...'quaint' in how they treat their female protagonists.

Good Omens is still great, though. Ended up giving my copy to a friend. Also did that with my copy of Callahans Crosstime Saloon. I tend to do that with books I really like.

Also, Spider Robinson. Add him to the list of kinda hit mostly miss authors.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ambitious Spider posted:

That was this American Life? Or Radiolab maybe? Something I heard on NPR. Anyway, the only Piers Anthony novel I've read is Firefly, which if you weren't aware is less a book about a giant killer firefly than it is a giant defense of pedophilia. Dude is kind of a monster.

B-but why won't anyone think of the 5-year-olds who want to have sex with adults? How is it the adult's fault then?

An actual literal argument used by Piers Anthony in that book.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I totally believe JMV when it comes to how horrendous Gary buseys shits are

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

I was in Iraq in 2007, and one of the few things I wad allowed to do in the TOC (when we weren't getting shot at and directing anti-mortar fire) was read. They had a room filled with books from USO gift boxes, so I read.

Got a copy of Again, Dangerous Visions, Good Omens and Isaac Asimov's Gold from that collection that I snuck out. Also read Wizards First Rule and On a Pale Horse.

Piers just kinda bored me. Goodkind actively courted my disgust with how bad his book was.

Kinda glad I didn't find any more of Piers Anthony, dude sounds like crap.

Also, Heinlein is kinda...weird on that scale? On one hand you have Job and Glory Road, where the female protagonists drive most of the plot with their character and status to the point that the male protag ends up chasing after them. Then you have Friday and some of his other works that are...um...'quaint' in how they treat their female protagonists.

Good Omens is still great, though. Ended up giving my copy to a friend. Also did that with my copy of Callahans Crosstime Saloon. I tend to do that with books I really like.

Also, Spider Robinson. Add him to the list of kinda hit mostly miss authors.

I don’t think the incarnations series is quite as bad, at least I don’t remember them that way but it’s been 20 years. I never read his other stuff.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hanales posted:

I don’t think the incarnations series is quite as bad, at least I don’t remember them that way but it’s been 20 years. I never read his other stuff.

It totally is, even before you get to the one where a woman is given a male body and is seized by the urge to rape all the time, coming away with being impressed by men's self control.

That may be the same book that also features a spirited defense of a pedophile who uses his position of authority as a judge to prey on a victim.

Even the first one, which is possibly the best of the series, has a plot that hinges on "no see it was just psychic rape, so she's totally a pure virgin and also hellbound because now she's corrupted by evil".

gently caress Piers Anthony.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dienes posted:

One of the more recent books, Air Apparent, features a character known as a Debra who is a 13-year-old girl who is constantly pressured to take off her bra. She is based on a real girl.

loving Wikipedia posted:

Air Apparent includes a character known as a Debra who is a 13-year-old girl who is constantly pressured to take off her bra. To De-Bra so to speak. She is based on a real girl. Debra Kawaguchi was a huge fan of the Xanth series and after her death in 2004, her father wrote Piers and asked him to include Debra in his cast of characters. After Piers explained to Debra's father that the only way he could think to include Debra in the book was through the De-Bra-ing pun, Mr. Kawaguchi agreed that Debra would have been delighted to be a character in Xanth and would have loved the pun. 

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:gonk: