Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MisterBibs posted:

I never had an issue with the so-called ludonarrative dissonance some folks had about Grand Theft Auto 4, complaining about how one minute Niko would be killing/blowing up poo poo by the thousands and then bemoaning it in a cutscene.

First off, the game makes it clear (hell, Niko flat-out talks about it a few times) that Niko is a fundamentally broken person whose history has turned violence into not only his go-to solution to everything, but a fundamental instinct. The worst part about it is that he knows it, but knowing the reasons behind this sort of trauma doesn't alleviate it. It's kinda the tragedy of the character/story; your fun escapades are precisely the thing the character wishes he could distance himself from, but never could even if you weren't controlling him. On a more meta level (and I know this is going to make me sound like an Old playing GTA and not even speeding), you really don't have to go on 5-star murder sprees between every goddamned mission.

I never had an issue with it either because I can't imagine caring about that poo poo, it's a game about stealing cars and shooting people+blowing things up. This is why I hated 4 and 5 compared to the best GTA of all time, San Andreas. The more they take the story/characters seriously, the worse off the game is. The first time I played 4 and I died by driving like I always do in video games where I'd usually need a new car every couple minutes really turned me off of the whole game. It is pretty telling that I have 8 hours total played on GTA 4 and 5 combined and over 1000 on san andreas. It's just better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

The missions make you kill loads of people.

And your defense would land if Niko wasn't such a dour asspot in and out of cutscenes.

Um, yeah, I covered that in the "Niko knows he's a violent psychopath for whom violence has become an instinct and hates himself for it" part.

...that you quoted

:confused:

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Randaconda posted:

You can read it in one weekend? :randpop:

: smith: That's how I roll, brother.

To contribute, Mount and Blade: Warband is a standard to which one should aspire.

And most "indecipherable accents" are entirely the fault of the listener. Especially the ones tied to class identity.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Look, if poors wanted me to understand them, they'd quit speaking like poors, we've been over this.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

mind the walrus posted:

The missions make you kill loads of people.

And your defense would land if Niko wasn't such a dour asspot in and out of cutscenes.

A "dour asspot" New Yorker? Well, I never... :monocle:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I never had an issue with it either because I can't imagine caring about that poo poo, it's a game about stealing cars and shooting people+blowing things up. This is why I hated 4 and 5 compared to the best GTA of all time, San Andreas. The more they take the story/characters seriously, the worse off the game is. The first time I played 4 and I died by driving like I always do in video games where I'd usually need a new car every couple minutes really turned me off of the whole game. It is pretty telling that I have 8 hours total played on GTA 4 and 5 combined and over 1000 on san andreas. It's just better.

GTA IV has the most fun driving physics of the GTA games by a country mile

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I remember the first time I went through the windshield.

"This is something special."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

GTA IV has the most fun driving physics of the GTA games by a country mile

I just can't agree with that.

To be fair and not pretend like SA is perfect, that game has probably the worst flying experience in any game ever made. I never got far enough in the new ones to see how flying is (if it is in the game) but it really can't get any worse. That flying through rings challenge was some frustrating bullshit.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just can't agree with that.

To be fair and not pretend like SA is perfect, that game has probably the worst flying experience in any game ever made. I never got far enough in the new ones to see how flying is (if it is in the game) but it really can't get any worse. That flying through rings challenge was some frustrating bullshit.

yeah, that's where I quit. I've beaten every 3D GTA game except SA because of it

after the RC plane mission I just didn't have it in me anymore

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah, that's where I quit. I've beaten every 3D GTA game except SA because of it

after the RC plane mission I just didn't have it in me anymore

Oh man, I forgot about that mission. Just that whole quest line with that guy felt really boring and tacked on and needlessly difficult.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Gta4 was crap and ive never played 5

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Hated flying any helicopter in 5.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone that says tofu taste gross is just a racist. Tofu has no flavor. It's like saying rice makes you gag. gently caress you, racist.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

All of those very much have flavour. A good flavour.

Dude, water has flavour.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah that's not an unpopular opinion, just a really stupid one. Rice has a very distinct flavor, as does tofu. Accept that some people just don't like a certain type of food for reasons that aren't "wow that guy is such a racist".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nah. Every person I've seen that hates tofu is at least an rear end in a top hat. I wasn't aware that anyone disliked rice though. I was just using it as an example of something ludicrous and irrational to dislike.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Jan 21, 2018

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Mmm, make yourself a Soondubu Jjigae. Change ya life.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Mu Zeta posted:

Anyone that says tofu taste gross is just a racist. Tofu has no flavor. It's like saying rice makes you gag. gently caress you, racist.

You sound like a dickhead.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I think I can solve this disagreement. Tofu as sold in the Asian store definitely has a noticeable taste, and it can be a bit sour so it's not absurd to dislike it. Tofu sold to white people as a meat substitute doesn't really taste of anything unless it's deliberately flavored to taste meat-like. Tofu that is flavored to imitate meat won't quite taste like real meat, so people who would rather eat meat think it tastes bland or bad.

Rice has a flavor, but in the same way that noodles or potatoes do, it's almost certainly gonna get overpowered by whatever you eat it with.

Different types of rice even taste different, I have a huge rice recipe book that lays it all out in detail.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Even if I acknowledge that tofu doesn't taste like anything, why would I be eating it when I have a whole world of other things to eat that actually taste like something?

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Irrational tofu hate is just lame macho bs, the same people who use tofu as an example of gross food just mean that it doesn't have the Offical Ron Swanson Seal of Manliness like bacon wrapped streak does. It's got nothing to do with the taste most of the time. (not really talking about yall in this thread because you're literally discussing the actual taste, I mean when it's used as an example of ~faggy food for tree huggers~ just because it's not a STEAK)

My unpopular opinion is that in less than 100 years eating meat will be seen as a disgusting act, at least in the "developed" world. As a warning about how evil acts can be normalized, kids will watch present-day videos of all those animals packed into cages just to be killed for burritos.

life is a joke has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jan 21, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, they’ll just grow lab meat instead.

Can’t survive on plants when the environment is irradiated.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

life is a joke posted:

Irrational tofu hate is just lame macho bs, the same people who use tofu as an example of gross food just mean that it doesn't have the Offical Ron Swanson Seal of Manliness like bacon wrapped streak does. It's got nothing to do with the taste most of the time. (not really talking about yall in this thread because you're literally discussing the actual taste, I mean when it's used as an example of ~faggy food for tree huggers~ just because it's not a STEAK)

My unpopular opinion is that in less than 100 years eating meat will be seen as a disgusting act, at least in the "developed" world. As a warning about how evil acts can be normalized, kids will watch present-day videos of all those animals packed into cages just to be killed for burritos.

Can you provide a logical reason why you think in 100 years we'll all be woke soyboys?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Hated flying any helicopter in 5.

Helicopters were really awful. Planes were merely pointless. Seriously, why do they insist on having planes in these games, when they have no gameplay associated with them. You just fly from point A to B, and if there's combat it's either scripted, or you just have to continue flying in a straight line until the enemy gives up

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The amount of preachy vegans if far outweighed by the amount of people who go out of their way to poo poo on vegans and vegetarians.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

lol

Tofu is just as pointless as planes in a GTA game, and soy is absolutely terrible for the environment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not a fan of tofu, but it's a texture thing.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Can you provide a logical reason why you think in 100 years we'll all be woke soyboys?

Because it's very easy to stay healthy and have a good diet without eating meat at all. People want to eat animals all the time for cheap but they way we get that is through factory farming and other stomach churning practices. Like many other things throughout history, to those of us living in the present it seems like "just the way things are" but there's no way the methods animals are impregnated, raised, used, killed, and butchered will seem like anything less than horrific as current alternatives (veg, vegan) become the norm. Also lab meat maybe like aphrodite said, but last I heard that was still a ways off.

I wish the world would go full vegan today, but since that's not happening I'd die happy settling for a world where meat is a specialty item only, or just part of a legitimate cultural ritual, or used to manage health needs only; instead of being so incredibly cheap and plentiful for only the reason that it tastes good. It's torture for the animals, it's unhealthy for us.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The amount of preachy vegans if far outweighed by the amount of people who go out of their way to poo poo on vegans and vegetarians.

Vegans get accused of being preachy just for saying they don't eat meat, you can't win with the I'm a biiiig man, and i want a biiiiiig steak crew. I know I'm being preachy ITT but this is kind of the spot for it lol.

I don't usually mention it to anyone IRL, not that anyone cares anyway. The myth that vegans just eat a handful of seeds and a single dry spinach leaf for dinner is so off base, my lunches look just like everyone else's and it's not hard to order something with no animal products after like a week of knowing what to watch for.

life is a joke has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Jan 22, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I tried an Impossible Burger recently and it was alright, but definitely not there yet as a believable meat substitute. Its texture reminded me of falafel and I felt terrible the morning after (possibly unrelated).

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

life is a joke posted:

I wish the world would go full vegan today, but since that's not happening I'd die happy settling for a world where meat is a specialty item only, or just part of a legitimate cultural ritual, or used to manage health needs only; instead of being so incredibly cheap and plentiful for only the reason that it tastes good. It's torture for the animals, it's unhealthy for us.

Vegans get accused of being preachy just for saying they don't eat meat,

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

I think you "unintentionally" cut out the sentence I wrote right after that one, cool

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

life is a joke posted:

I think you "unintentionally" cut out the sentence I wrote right after that one, cool

I don't usually mention to people that I'm vegan, now let me write a five paragraph screed about why I'm more enlightened than you.

If you don't care, shut up, if meat is on its way out, it doesn't need your pontificating to help the process.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I can see that my personally held opinion, which i acknowledge is unpopular, and which was a reply to a post above it, has no place in this thread.

life is a joke has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Jan 22, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are posting in this thread for the express purpose of having others yell at you.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Ya, nobody genuinely believes eating meat is wrong, it's all been one big troll to get a reaction on the internet :P

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's not what I posted (this thread exists to let people yell at each other), but yes, sure, why not. My opinion is that literally nobody on this planet genuinely prefers a vegetarian diet, categorically.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
That is what you posted. "posting ... for the express purpose of having others yell at you" is the exact definition of trolling. And that's not what i was doing, I shared my true PHUO.

ok I change my post to "is it just me, or should people know what they want to order when they get to the counter?! I think they should. Just my PHUO"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Meat isn't healthy" says a predator.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

life is a joke posted:

That is what you posted. "posting ... for the express purpose of having others yell at you" is the exact definition of trolling. And that's not what i was doing, I shared my true PHUO.

ok I change my post to "is it just me, or should people know what they want to order when they get to the counter?! I think they should. Just my PHUO"

No, it means the thread is called "unpopular opinions", if you post in it, you do so knowing people will react negatively and confrontationally by default. It's not trolling when the thread is designed that way.

Speaking of orders and counters, self-check outs have done more to convince me of the inevitable human extinction than literally anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Beef and lamb are pretty poo poo for the environment in terms of energy / water / land use. Chicken isn't too bad though.