Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Flyinglemur posted:

I had three pet ducks a few years ago and woke up at 2 am to the female SCREAMING. Ran downstairs and turned on the outside light to see a big rear end owl sitting on top of one of the males. He flew away and left the duck for me to put down.

I increased the security for the remaining 2 the next day and there were no more attacks. I had no idea owls would attack ducks. :(

Owls will attack anything they think they can get away with. They're predators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Who What Now posted:

I think allowing an owl to steal your dog counts as negligence.

what was he supposed to do, the owl had tenure

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It never would have happened if the dog had a gun.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Is your dog small enough to be taken by an owl? If yes then dog negligence

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goodpancakes posted:

Is your dog small enough to be taken by an owl? If yes then dog negligence

The owl will always get through

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8el_P4yvfc

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I watched one of my dogs almost snatch a bird out of the air once. She watched it peck on the ground for a minute, did some quick trigonometry, then launched herself not at where the bird was, but where it would be when it leapt into the air to fly away. She caught tail feathers but didn’t get enough of a grip to take the bird down. Still pretty impressive imo.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Super Grocery Kart posted:

I watched one of my dogs almost snatch a bird out of the air once. She watched it peck on the ground for a minute, did some quick trigonometry, then launched herself not at where the bird was, but where it would be when it leapt into the air to fly away. She caught tail feathers but didn’t get enough of a grip to take the bird down. Still pretty impressive imo.

My parents old dog did actually manage to snatch a double of birds out of the air then just stood their prodding it trying to make it go again.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When I was a kid I was dive bombed by a great horned owl from behind. They really are silent. Scared the absolute gently caress out of me because they're big birds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Picnic Princess posted:

When I was a kid I was dive bombed by a great horned owl from behind. They really are silent. Scared the absolute gently caress out of me because they're big birds.

Great horned owls don't prey on people, fortunately. Most likely you were getting too close to a nest and it was trying to get you to stay away.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Or maybe it was trying to give you a quest to save the world by finding the 8 Rodents of Power and presenting them to the owl.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Flyinglemur posted:

I had three pet ducks a few years ago and woke up at 2 am to the female SCREAMING. Ran downstairs and turned on the outside light to see a big rear end owl sitting on top of one of the males. He flew away and left the duck for me to put down.

I increased the security for the remaining 2 the next day and there were no more attacks. I had no idea owls would attack ducks. :(

Tell us about your duck security measures please, we may be getting a puppy soon and I’ve seen owls take squirrels from my yard a couple of times :ohdear:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Not as impressive as your story because cats are murderous little shits but I watched a stray cat take a bat out of the air once. He was so happy gnawing on the thing

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Flyinglemur posted:

"You still wake up sometimes, don't you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the ducks."

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

Why do animals want to eat you so badly

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

beanieson posted:

Tell us about your duck security measures please, we may be getting a puppy soon and I’ve seen owls take squirrels from my yard a couple of times :ohdear:

Don't let your puppy out unsupervised, first and foremost.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Picnic Princess posted:

Scared the absolute gently caress out of me because they're big birds.

??????????????????????

??????????????????????

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
any dog that gets carried away by a bird isn't a dog worth having anyways

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That man must be gigantic!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
You have to make the little owl fight other animals so it can evolve into a real one

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, this. I put up netting over their area and bought red led anti predator things around the perimeter and one pointing up. I also made sure they were in their shelter, locked.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Flyinglemur posted:

Yeah, this. I put up netting over their area and bought red led anti predator things around the perimeter and one pointing up. I also made sure they were in their shelter, locked.

So a duck Guantanamo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MizPiz posted:

You have to make the little owl fight other animals so it can evolve into a real one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRXT_TrUbiw

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Picnic Princess posted:

If silence were loudness, they'd be the loudest flying bird. :eng101:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

beanieson posted:

Dress your dog up like a hair metal band member

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
those are touch-sensitive explosive trigger training vests, they train the dogs to crawl underneath enemy vehicles when they're puppies, and then they strap the real bombs to them when they've completed the training

hosed up picture to post in a funny picture thread imo

Hundminen, or Dog Mines.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Jan 20, 2018

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Tumble posted:

those are touch-sensitive explosive trigger training vests, they train the dogs to crawl underneath enemy vehicles when they're puppies, and then they strap the real bombs to them when they've completed the training

Hundminen, or Dog Mines.

Didn't this program end when they discovered the dogs were really bad at telling enemy tanks from their own, though?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

Didn't this program end when they discovered the dogs were really bad at telling enemy tanks from their own, though?

They trained the dogs using their own tanks. With predictable results.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ak Gara posted:

Try riding a bike at night and picking up a burrito with your feet based on the sound it makes.

That is how an owl do.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

Yea, also the dogs were nervous when the enemy tanks were... moving... at all, and so the dogs would try to run back to the handlers and blow them up or get shot before that could happen.

Dogs: good with people, bad with explosives.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ak Gara posted:

Who What Now posted:

Try riding a bike at night and picking up a burrito with your feet based on the sound it makes.

That is how an owl do.

You guys should do a confusing nature show

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I blame him moving from Chicago. His kid isn't handling it very well so they're gonna go buy another one this weekend. I cracked a joke about feeding the entire owl population and he apparently still isn't ready to joke about it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I think I’d go with a little larger dog this time, personally.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Get a huge dog and then break down crying when he gets devoured by the gargantuan Roc whose wings blot out the sun.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I think I’d go with a little larger dog this time, personally.

Yes, the owls are still hungry and need larger portions.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Solice Kirsk posted:

His kid isn't handling it very well so they're gonna go buy another one this weekend.

Are they gonna give the old kid back or have two kids now?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ignite Memories posted:

Why do animals want to eat you so badly

I'm am alternate universe Disney Princess I guess.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Who What Now posted:

That is how an owl do.

Are you not able to pick things up with your toes?

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Tumble posted:

Hundminen, or Dog Mines.

I remember having one of those dumbest criminals books as a kid and one story was some rednecks strapping dynamite for coyotes for fun....until one ran and hid under the truck which stranded their dumb drunk asses in the desert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We Know Catheters posted:

Are you not able to pick things up with your toes?

I mean that's how I swoop through the line at Chipotle