Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay let's put this down to democracy

quote this post if you think miko and miki are gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
They might be gay but it's not explicit

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

he literally said 'the' queer reading

I literally said 'a' queer reading.

quote:

you know call me crazy but i think that statement might be problematic

also their entire relationship is framed around sex

The core of their relationship is framed around track rivalry and their familial relationship. The relations between Akira, Miki, and Miko are of a childhood bond.

Dryzen posted:

I don't understand how you can talk about how your reading of it is being shut down when that isn't happening at all. People are getting upset that every time they try to imply a lesbian relationship between miko and miki you said they were just long-time friends and now that it's not sexual at all

It's not definitively sexual or non-sexual, although I'd argue that Miki is asexual and doesn't have a sexual interest in anybody. All I said from the beginning is that the assumption a character must necessarily be gay because they said they loved a same-sex character is an overreading. I never said the interpretation that Miko is definitely a lesbian was wrong, I just disagree with it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I think Miko is bi and she got friendzone'd

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I'm trying to wrap my head around this but if you think that because miki is asexual miko liking her is not gay then holy poo poo please be not that please please please

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Miki rides Miko at one point.

Like, come on. The only way this would be less subtle is if they 69'd right on screen.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 21, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dryzen posted:

I don't understand how you can talk about how your reading of it is being shut down when that isn't happening at all. People are getting upset that every time they try to imply a lesbian relationship between miko and miki you said they were just long-time friends and now that it's not sexual at all

i said their trans reading made me uncomfortable and that was it. i just didn't get why there was such a commitment to deny miko being a lesbian or even just loving miki sexually/romantically, and instead saying she's a man so she can join the other male characters in this show that nobody has ever questioned the sexuality of. when it comes down to it, both readings take material from her sexual fantasies as shown in the show. so denial of one while raising up another is even more confusing.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Did you guys forgot when Miko masturbated to Akira's mega bulge

Calling the bi erasure police right now

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Endorph posted:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
is track gayer than softball or is it the other way around?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

everything is gay

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dryzen posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this but if you think that because miki is asexual miko liking her is not gay then holy poo poo please be not that please please please

I didn't say that. That's not what it means. Y'all are reading things into my posts that just aren't there, which really ties into my original post about overreading.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

If the issue is that we aren't able to understand your points after this many attempts to express it than maybe the issue isn't us but you

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Sorry about your thread OP

RME
Feb 20, 2012

maybe when you try to imply that are people are only reading miko as queer because of a gaslighting effort, you shouldnt act all surprised when no one takes you seriously with "im not trying to deny/downplay that reading"
and if you try to say that's a joke, well, those often reveal true feelings

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im happy to report the results of the first devilman crybaby gaylection:

Gay - 7 votes

Tired Moritz posted:

I think Miko is bi and she got friendzone'd
i think this is a vote for jeb bush

NumberLast posted:

ah, jill stein

Squallege posted:

Sorry about your thread OP
harambe

well, im happy to report that this show officially, inarguably has lesbian romance in it. thank you all for coming.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
In softball do the girls pat eachother on the rear end like guys do in baseball?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

In softball do the girls pat eachother on the rear end like guys do in baseball?
girls pat each other on the rear end in every sport, in my experience

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

no because that would be a queer reading

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Endorph posted:

ah, jill stein

lmao, nice

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
anyway, I'm glad there's good lgbt representation in Devilbaby Cryman, you don't get much in anime

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Can't they all just be Bi and make everyone happy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Don't asslight me

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

RME posted:

maybe when you try to imply that are people are only reading miko as queer because of a gaslighting effort, you shouldnt act all surprised when no one takes you seriously with "im not trying to deny/downplay that reading"
and if you try to say that's a joke, well, those often reveal true feelings

No, the gaslighting effort is to make people believe that Miko is exclusively lesbian. The translation of daisuki as a word that has exclusive romantic connotations was wrong, and to insist that it still does is arguing in bad faith. Interpreting Miko as gay or bi is valid, and interpreting her as straight is also valid - as is the trans interpretation. There's a more complete reading of the material than the assumption that a character must be definitively categorized.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

miko can love miki romantically and sexually and be a lesbian, or bi, or trans. i think the intent of focusing on the meaning of daisuki is to back that up, since plenty of people itt are straight up denying miko meant romantic/sexual love.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if i say my reading of daisuki was wrong will you never post again because thats a sacrifice im willing to make

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NumberLast posted:

There's ansolutely evidence that Miki is straight

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No, the gaslighting effort is to make people believe that Miko is exclusively lesbian. The translation of daisuki as a word that has exclusive romantic connotations was wrong, and to insist that it still does is arguing in bad faith. Interpreting Miko as gay or bi is valid, and interpreting her as straight is also valid - as is the trans interpretation. There's a more complete reading of the material than the assumption that a character must be definitively categorized.

you are talking to multiple queer people, you are preaching to the choir. please stop assuming the worst

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Endorph posted:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Daisuki is a pretty bad anime app, op

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what the gently caress are you going on about people were saying Miko means I love you romantically and now youre somehow fixed on "exclusively lesbian"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Kinda wish we go back to your waifu is poo poo arguments

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Kinda wish we go back to your waifu is poo poo arguments

tbf regardless of everything else miki is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Eh maybe we should take a break from Devilman Crybaby and watch another Go Nagai adaptation, perhaps one where this specific derail will be very unlikely to happen so we can all get along.

Re:Cutie Honey

• Locked thread