Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

its worse than i had imagined

He is really struggling to, uh, describe any of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That explanation helps a lot, but it really underscores that this is now turbo high laser fantasy.

Or, pretty much the opposite of the old world. Malign Portents seems to be an effort to turn the last regime's bad marketing decision lemons into warhammer flavored lemonaid, which I can appreciate on some level.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
As the same guy more or less said in an AMA.

Someone Else's Paraphrase posted:

"Originally the Mortal Realms universe was deliberately broad and vague to allow the miniatures designers freedom, now the background team is crystallising that picture. To cover day to day life, how things are set up, etc, draw on the best bits of old Warhammer. New rules opportunities from the narrative such as the Free Cities."

Which I understand as we kept it vague for too long and now we are working to fix that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Because if you know anything about art or design, you know that near total freedom with few if any constraints, guidelines, or direction is actually a really good way to end up with a cohesive, coherent, and well-conceived piece of work.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can do anything at Zombocom in the Mortal Realms. The unattainable is unknown.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing I'm hoping for in Battletome Death is a rules pass for Nagash. His emphasis on summoning is cool and flavorful, but not really the direction they've taken the game the last few years.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing I'm hoping for in Battletome Death is a rules pass for Nagash. His emphasis on summoning is cool and flavorful, but not really the direction they've taken the game the last few years.

And not really useful in Matched Play which pretty much everyone plays.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Khorne, Tzeentch and Nurgle Tomes gave alternate summoning rules. They may do something like that for this. We should also get a lore of magic or two from the book so guys like Nagash will have even more spells they can cast. (And Nagash needs all the spells he can get, as he can cast 8 spells by default.)

I am assuming we will get something like the Lore of Vampires, Death and Undeath. (And Undeath can replace Vampires if needed as they both focus on the same thing.)

My curiosity is how the Allegiance Abilities will work. The Grand Host of Nagash I predict will focus on more or less a general death theme with some incentive to take Nagash. Then we have the Legions of Night, Blood and Sacrament. I assume all of them will have access to Zombies and Skeletons, but then I am guessing they will focus on a different type of unit. Maybe Mannfred likes Ghouls 'n Ghosts alongside Skeletons. While Neferata likes Vampires, and Arkhan likes Necromancers.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

With Arkhan as one of the build options for the Nighthaunt in the Malign Portents painting contest I’m guessing he gets the ghosts.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
New Malign Portents story is up: https://malignportents.com/story/to-truly-excel/

Definitely getting a bit more Grimdark.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Milotic posted:

New Malign Portents story is up: https://malignportents.com/story/to-truly-excel/

Maybe this will put to end the idiots screaming "DEATHCASTS!"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Milotic posted:

The interesting part of the story is that the reforging process is having a greater and greater impact on the Stormcasts. It mentions how the leader is no longer capable of pity because of how many times he had been through it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AnEdgelord posted:

The interesting part of the story is that the reforging process is having a greater and greater impact on the Stormcasts. It mentions how the leader is no longer capable of pity because of how many times he had been through it.

Yeah, one of the cool bits in Shadespire is that the eternals are their hunting for shade glass because it can be used during reforging to prevent any loss of self. That they know about it and are willing to try that much of a Hail Mary to slow it down adds a nice bit of tension to the faction.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, one of the cool bits in Shadespire is that the eternals are their hunting for shade glass because it can be used during reforging to prevent any loss of self. That they know about it and are willing to try that much of a Hail Mary to slow it down adds a nice bit of tension to the faction.

Plus it adds the idea that every single Stormcast is a few reforgings away from becoming a murderous psychopath which gives a much needed shade of grey to what was previously one of the most unambiguously good factions in Warhammer.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/516432058751777/

I was riiiiiight

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hot drat, I was beginning to think the Dark Elf revamp was just going to always be a persistent rumor. Wonder what faction she's going to fall under, in the video she seems kind of anti-Chaos and Order doesn't exactly need more armies. Maybe Nagash's goal in Malign Portents is to bring her back to the realms?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Milotic posted:

I am really glad they are leaning into what makes Sigmarines interesting. The idea that these heroes are sacrificing their humanity and identity to serve their God is a nice conflict. Seeing your old companions reborn but clearly missing part of what made them who they were is interesting.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hot drat, I was beginning to think the Dark Elf revamp was just going to always be a persistent rumor. Wonder what faction she's going to fall under, in the video she seems kind of anti-Chaos.

I’m guessing “Order, but generally anti-everything gently caress you”.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I mean Order =/= Good.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Sounds to me like "Slaanesh is still mostly dead and I have usurped their power get ready for Order Daemons and Cults"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It'd be great to see Morathi and daemons on the same side of the table, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening under Order's flag.

That said, I'm still looking forward to a massive spindly centerpiece model of her on a dark Pegasus.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
From that video she's sounding real snake-y so maybe no mount.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Yncarne, but with four tiddies instead of one.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

Sounds to me like "Slaanesh is still mostly dead and I have usurped their power get ready for Order Daemons and Cults"

Nah i'm pretty sure the dead god is Khaine, his shrine makes an appearance and their are several shots of Witch Elves and Daemonettes fighting. Plus Seraphon are already the designated Order Daemons.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Ya'll might like reading the Corum novels by Michael Moorcock, an old 70s fantasy series. They are a kind of predecessor to Planescape, having heavily influenced AD&D, which in turn influenced Warhammer and the Sigmar Mortal Realms. The Order vs Chaos formulation was the core of the books which D&D picked up on.

In it, Order is represented as being "not good." Good is something you can do within the context of order or chaos, but the purest manifestation of Order is crystalline stasis, the holy police state, and a toxic inability for creativity. D&D definitely pushed order into the "mostly good" territory, and even though Lawful Evil is a thing most people don't seem to think of it as a manifestation of order. (In Moorcock's novels all the gods are pretty much insane assholes regardless of their affiliation with chaos or order.)

So, you could imagine Morathi being Lawful Evil. Her son was more LE. She struck me as his CE bad side, with her pleasure cult. Maybe she's changed. If she's Lawful Evil, then she would fit within Order.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Morathi is being presented as a villain. Both her and Malekith have been presented as fairly evil in Age of Sigmar after abandoning the original pantheon so I have a feeling they won't side with Order or Chaos.

AnEdgelord posted:

Plus it adds the idea that every single Stormcast is a few reforgings away from becoming a murderous psychopath which gives a much needed shade of grey to what was previously one of the most unambiguously good factions in Warhammer.

This group of the Stormcasts the Knights Excelsior have always been pretty violent and extreme in their views in lore as well. So the effect has likely only become worse in them over time.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GreenMarine posted:

So, you could imagine Morathi being Lawful Evil. Her son was more LE. She struck me as his CE bad side, with her pleasure cult. Maybe she's changed. If she's Lawful Evil, then she would fit within Order.
If you look at the Chaos pantheon symbol GW put out some time back, I would say Morathi and her pals are going to be Chaos:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That's the Horned Rat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's Malekith's hat IIRC.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

It's Malekith's hat IIRC.

I think you're right, but Morathi also has a crown with the twisted horns and GW could easily slide her into the position. Hell, she says she's a "demigod" in the video.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
What was that music from? I barely payed attention to the video because I was so distracted trying to place where I'd heard it before.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They should probably go in Destruction because that GA is empty.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Pendent posted:

What was that music from? I barely payed attention to the video because I was so distracted trying to place where I'd heard it before.

I swear it was from Dark Souls 2 but that can't be right

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pendent posted:

People have been saying Total War: Warhammer.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

when the gently caress do orcs get new stuff

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

S.J. posted:

I want orks with stolen kharadron skyships being piratey af.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Not sure who that is but daaamn she mad.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
If Morathi replaces Slaanesh, what does that mean for 40k? It's weird to have one god whose storyline is split. I suppose slaanesh was always somewhat split though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

GreenMarine posted:

If Morathi replaces Slaanesh, what does that mean for 40k? It's weird to have one god whose storyline is split. I suppose slaanesh was always somewhat split though.

Morathi is not replacing Slaanesh, full stop. Slaanesh being missing is the most obvious campaign set up in existence and has been since the launch of AoS, and a trailer about Greek Shadow Elves has done nothing to change that, especially since the trailer clearly shows Witch Elves (aka Morathi's forces) fighting Daemonettes.

Most likely (if GW holds to their pattern) we will be seeing Slaanesh releases for 40k in the second half of this year and AoS releases for Slaanesh at the beginning of next year. Just like Nurgle and just like Tzeentch (Khorne was different but that was due to them releasing Khorne Daemonkin instead of World Eaters and his major releases happening during the End Times)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

They got a bunch of new kits right at the beginning along with fire dwarfs.

• Locked thread