Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
His wife was the same age-ish, lifetime partners, and was a significant contributor/partner to all his writing. She just didn’t get credit for awhile.

That was one thing that really stuck out to me in Eddings’ books in retrospect - the women and their struggles were written much better than in other fantasy series, coming from Leigh’s influence. They’re still late-20th century men are like this and women are like that stuff, but it’s head and shoulders above its contemporaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

J.A.B.C. posted:

Good Omens is still great, though. Ended up giving my copy to a friend. Also did that with my copy of Callahans Crosstime Saloon. I tend to do that with books I really like.
I think I'm on my eighth copy of Good Omens for that reason

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

eating only apples posted:

David Eddings wasn't as horrific as Anthony and others, but there was that thing in the Elenium where the 40-something protagonist married the teenage queen that he'd raised from a toddler. Eddings can only write relationships that have a massive age gap, exclusively hetero, with the male being the older.

ah, the Woodey Allen

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/954895819353735168

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crocoswine posted:

no there's really a man out there fearful that muslims are going to steal his mushrooms

I mean PeterSweden genuinely is

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean PeterSweden genuinely is

Also Prison Paul.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicFrog posted:

:raise: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress doesn't seem out of place in a high school library, although you could find better use of that shelf space these days.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress posted:

Look, you put an arm around Tish, maybe tried to kiss. Suppose instead she had gone to hotel room with you; what would happen?"

"Heavens! I suppose they would have torn me to pieces."

"They would have done nothing. Shrugged and pretended not to see. Because choice is hers. Not yours. Not theirs. Exclusively hers. Oh, be risky to ask her to go to hotel; she might take offense and that would give boys license to rough you up. But--well, take this Tish. A silly little tart. If you had flashed as much money as I saw in your pouch, she might have taken into head that a bundle with tourist was just what she needed and suggested it herself. In which case would have been utterly safe . "

Lajoie shivered. "At her age? It scares me to think of it. She's below the age of consent. Statutory rape."

"Oh, bloody! No such thing. Women her age are married or ought to be. Stu, is no rape in Luna. None. Men won't permit. If rape had been involved, they wouldn't have bothered to find a judge and all men in earshot would have scrambled to help. But chance that a girl that big is virgin is negligible. When they're little, their mothers watch over them, with help from everybody in city; children are safe here. But when they reach husband-high, is no holding them and mothers quit trying. If they choose to run corndors and have fun, can't stop 'em; once a girl is nubile, she's her own boss.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress posted:

"My youngest wife is a granddaughter of eldest husband and wife. At least she's granddaughter of Mum--senior is 'Mum' or sometimes Mimi to her husbands--and she may be of Grandpaw--but not related to other spouses. So no reason not to marry back in, not even consanguinuity okay in other types of marriage. None, nit, zero. And Ludmilla grew up in our family because her mother had her solo, then moved to Novylen and left her with us .

"Milla didn't want to talk about marrying out when old enough for us to think about it. She cried and asked us please to make an exception. So we did. Grandpaw doesn't figure in genetic angle--these days his interest in women is more gallant than practical. As senior husband he spent our wedding night with her--but consummation was only formal . Number-two husband, Greg, took care of it later and everybody pretended. And everybody happy. Ludmilla is a sweet little thing, just fifteen and pregnant first time."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:chloe:

Cleanse your palate with some Genius on Social Media

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/954752414569054209

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BioEnchanted posted:

That was actually why she was on Cracked - her article was http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-child-stars-go-crazy-an-insiders-perspective/ - she actually mentioned that she wished that she could have been there to give Lindsey Lohan advice before she broke, because the difference between her and other child stars was as follows - most stars get into it because their parents want them to - Mara got into it because she wanted to. Her mother was against it from the start. Her advice is basically "Stop when it stops being fun."

Cracked was pretty good then. In the past few months they fired all of your favorite writers and jumped on the bitcoin train.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Stairs posted:

I'm ashamed to admit that as a young Junior High student I loved Piers Anthony. I even made a book report on one, complete with hand drawn illustration. I had the word Xanth ingraved into the inside of my 7th grade class ring.
To be fair I'd only read the first five or six books, which were more "mundane fantasy" and less "horrific pun filled exploitation". After Golum in the Gears (and learning more about sex in general) I was grossed out and dumped them. Xanth novels border on grooming.
We will not discuss my High School addiction to David Eddings.

wanting to have sex with 12 year olds is way less creepy when you are 12

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

goatsestretchgoals posted:

wanting to have sex with 12 year olds is way less creepy when you are 12

More that I just literally didn't even notice. Like how one guy and a girl were climbing up a wall and the guy looked up and saw her panties and there was this big deal about him thinking about it for ages afterwards. A fifty years old man write obsessively about a girls panties.
Also there was a character named Electra who physically looked 12 but was actually an adult because she had been locked in stasis and she spends ages being depressed because the 17 year old boy she likes won't gently caress her.
...until he does. With detail. While she still looks 12 but had makeup on and that made her more "mature".
Yep.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

see this is why i dont read books. Not because of the ADHD, but because every author is some sort of pedophile.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Stairs posted:

More that I just literally didn't even notice. Like how one guy and a girl were climbing up a wall and the guy looked up and saw her panties and there was this big deal about him thinking about it for ages afterwards. A fifty years old man write obsessively about a girls panties.
Also there was a character named Electra who physically looked 12 but was actually an adult because she had been locked in stasis and she spends ages being depressed because the 17 year old boy she likes won't gently caress her.
...until he does. With detail. While she still looks 12 but had makeup on and that made her more "mature".
Yep.

loving glad I never read Piers Anthony. Include me in the list of people who thought he was Piers Morgan at first.

Zesty posted:

Cracked was pretty good then. In the past few months they fired all of your favorite writers and jumped on the bitcoin train.

Just checked for a Seanbaby bitcoin article, his last was on September 21st. :(

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

The last thirty years of Heinlein's career was basically just a series of veiled confessions about wanting to gently caress his granddaughter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trig Discipline posted:

The last thirty years of Heinlein's career was basically just a series of veiled confessions about wanting to gently caress his granddaughter.

Did that start with The Door Into Summer or was it apparent earlier?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The annoying thing with Cracked going to poo poo is some of their videos from 2016 and 17 were really clever and funny, like this one: "How Tall is Grant?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXi_rvD6r10
This cast in general was their strongest IMO.

This one's funny too IMO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Cald-OCPA

Edit: Just realised I've been getting Cracked and CollegeHumour confused with one another. Whoops. Thought they were the same thing.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:24 on Jan 21, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Trig Discipline posted:

Thank God Heinlein never actually had kids.

Now Marion Zimmer Bradley, on the other hand...

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Jan 21, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did that start with The Door Into Summer or was it apparent earlier?

That's the earliest one I can think of, but I'm not sure. Dude published a lot of books.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Thank God Heinlein never actually had kids.

I didn't realize that he didn't, that's quite interesting. Also kind of a relief; I'd always wondered what it would be like for his hypothetical granddaughter to read his work one day and :stonk:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Trig Discipline posted:

I didn't realize that he didn't, that's quite interesting. Also kind of a relief; I'd always wondered what it would be like for his hypothetical granddaughter to read his work one day and :stonk:

I seem to recall that his third wife was his first-pass editor. Imagine how she must have felt about it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Fantastic Flyer posted:

I once confused Piers Morgan and Piers Anthony and told my mom that Piers Morgan wrote weird pedophile books. I don't really feel the need to correct her poor impression, though.

lmfao

Also I unironically reread the Elenium literally like three months ago, fight me.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Metrofreak posted:

Seriously, if you came to me with a character whose whole bit was "disregarding my daughter's wishes to own the libs", I'd cancel it too.

is this about his lovely all in the family show where he loving vlogs for a hunting supplies store?

If so that poo poo got cancelled forever ago and its because of money not his beliefs. The cast was due a pay bump and the network was like ya no your ratings aren't good enough to pay that much.

Its not like conservatives are banned from hollywood. roseanne is a trump supporter and she has a new sitcom coming out.

snergle has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Jan 21, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I have a whole bunch of Eddings novels. Fun light reads, but boy did they love pairing super-powerful women with shlubby nobodies. Also pairing characters in general. If they didn't end up married or implied to become a couple somewhen after the novels end then they prolly died.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I was into Xanth as a kid, and had a ton of Piers Anthony books that I hadn't read in years. I think I saw a post on SA talking about how much of a creep he was, and I though about it, looked at a couple of books, and got rid of all of them. One of his non-Xanth books featured the use of time travel to make it so a 16 year old girl could marry a 40 year old man. Bleh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Elysiume posted:

I was into Xanth as a kid, and had a ton of Piers Anthony books that I hadn't read in years. I think I saw a post on SA talking about how much of a creep he was, and I though about it, looked at a couple of books, and got rid of all of them. One of his non-Xanth books featured the use of time travel to make it so a 16 year old girl could marry a 40 year old man. Bleh.

That was definitely stolen from A Door Into Summer, otherwise a somewhat dry book about cryogenics, time travel, and corporate intrigue. I'd almost call it a pedophilia romance business novel with sci-fi elements.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:siren: THE BOOK BARN IS LEAKING :siren:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Weatherman posted:

Quick, Use my copy of The Count of Monte Cristo that I read over a few weekends at work to block the leak.. OH NO IT'S GOT ME TOO!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Weatherman posted:

Hieronymous's chalice of goodposting finally runneth over.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Just checked for a Seanbaby bitcoin article, his last was on September 21st. :(
They got taken over by new management in late 2016. It's not 100% clear what happened and most of this is based off staff venting on twitter, but it seems like management were two things:

1) very interested in monetization
2) very conservative

They laid down the law: no social justice stuff, more paid content and native advertising. Swaim walked around October 2017, a whole bunch of folks got fired for trying to argue with the new policy and got fired in November/December, then basically everybody else quit out of solidarity. Cracked now is a shell of its former self.

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 13:29 on Jan 21, 2018

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Dear all for your attention. During the coming CNY

Dear all friends : Please do not send Good Morning Wishes/Messages.
Please read this warning coming from China from the Shanghai International News today it sent an SOS to all subscribers (this is the third reminder) that experts advise & recommend: Pls don't send Good morning, good night, or any funny festivals greetings such as pictures & movies etc.. The reports state that hackers in China have designed the pictures, movies so perfectly for hiding phishing codes within them, when everybody forwards and sends those, they will go and steal personal info from your device. It is reported that more than 500,000 fraud victims have already been scammed. If you would like to greet one another, type your own msg to protect yourself, as well as protecting your family & friends.
(Very important) Delete all previously and later greeting designs, pictures for your own safety, and that of friends to avoid hackers phishing. THEY CONTAIN EMBEDDED "GIFs" PROGRAMS that steal your personal data, Credit Card numbers and Pin's. Greet each other by typing own words or use completely self made picture, videos. Self created material is completely safe.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I think I posted a version of this with a different filter applied in the past.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Catching up on the thread and the whole Piers debate had me all hosed up because I kept reading Pierce Morgan and was trying to figure out how he is a role model for someone growing up and how he became an author and it just really made everything surreal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

Catching up on the thread and the whole Piers debate had me all hosed up because I kept reading Pierce Morgan and was trying to figure out how he is a role model for someone growing up and how he became an author and it just really made everything surreal.

Piers Morgan is just into feet

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Dear all for your attention. During the coming CNY

What the gently caress.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

What the gently caress.
A computer is a frightening magic box.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Big Word posted:

A computer is a frightening magic box.

If it gets my annoying computer-illiterate in-laws to stop spamming my Facebook wall with stupid glurgy poo poo and Minions gifs I might have to give this a try.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Picnic Princess posted:

I think I posted a version of this with a different filter applied in the past.

Is this a reality show cast I’m not recognizing?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

hanales posted:

Is this a reality show cast I’m not recognizing?

I'm pretty sure that is the Walking Dead cast. There is also a giant baseball bat that gets used to smash a characters brains in badly photo-shopped into the forefront so I think someone didn't get the joke.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

She's had that profile pic for over a year now. Just a big fan of the show and the irony of using those filters is completely lost on her. She's a 40 something mom who only posts to complain about her job as a motel maid and share images of wolves, angels, or minions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

She's had that profile pic for over a year now. Just a big fan of the show and the irony of using those filters is completely lost on her. She's a 40 something mom who only posts to complain about her job as a motel maid and share images of wolves, angels, or minions.

Considering what motel maids see on a daily basis, the Walking Dead really must be like family.