Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I feel bad about not getting it earlier, but it was also a victim of lovely regional pricing which meant I had to wait for a deep discount before I could get at anything approximating a reasonable price. Had I known how much I would have enjoyed it, I might have bitten the bullet and gotten it sooner, but I've been burned on that type of thing plenty of times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ElectricSheep posted:

In all seriousness a lot of finger pointing seems to be at Bethesda and their review embargoes, but I'm not sure about that because word of mouth that this was spiritually a System Shock game didn't seem to light fires under too many asses.

In addition to the review embargo, everything aniviron said, and Bethesda's lovely DRM, it's worth keeping in mind that the last game that got the
"it's totally a spiritual sequel to System Shock" marketing treatment was noted mediocre SS2 rehash Bioshock, and that was enough of a disappointment that if Prey had been made by anyone except Arkane, "spiritual System Shock successor" would have been a massive red flag.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This game is awesome, but I feel like it'd be better without those immersion breaking loading transitions. Having one giant, seamlessly explorable station isn't something that should be impossible with the technology available today, it's weird that Bethesda keep saddling all of their developers with lovely tech. Surely this is a solved problem by now?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Hell, System Shock solved it decades ago by sticking you in an "elevator".

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Bethesda just really seems to have trouble marketing stuff that aren't its own Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles. I remember they were especially bad about this with Doom 2016. It was all overly edited trailers that made it look slow and boring as hell until I think Nvidia released a video of some guy playing it normally and suddenly everyone was like holy poo poo this looks great. I'm 100% certain Doom 2016 would have undersold just like Prey did if it wasn't labeled with one of the most famous titles in video games.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh and I just wanna say I really, really, really appreciated this joke: the treadmill in Alex's office :xd:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ElectricSheep posted:

Prey and SS2 are actually identical in this regard, both have a central elevator and bulkheads splitting up the remainder of the play area. There were plenty of loading screens.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gadzuko posted:

Prey and SS2 are actually identical in this regard, both have a central elevator and bulkheads splitting up the remainder of the play area. There were plenty of loading screens.

Pete's elevator isn't even a loading screen though, there are airlocks at the top and bottom.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SwissCM posted:

This game is awesome, but I feel like it'd be better without those immersion breaking loading transitions. Having one giant, seamlessly explorable station isn't something that should be impossible with the technology available today, it's weird that Bethesda keep saddling all of their developers with lovely tech. Surely this is a solved problem by now?

Prey uses Cryengine, which I am pretty sure supports level streaming. It just wasn't used, for some reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Going through my screenshots, I'd forgotten that early in the game you can find an e-mail asking somebody what the best way to get an important secret out would be so that NOBODY could stop it. They said,"Iunno... hack that giant-rear end billboard out in space to project the message?"

Much, much later in the game I flew out there to find one of the last corpses I hadn't tracked down yet, and found them tangled up in the wires by a control panel. The billboard is moving so it is difficult to keep up with it, but if you're able to activate it... :discourse:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, that billboard was great for another reason too: it's the first thing you see through the window when you get to the proper space station and and only later in the game you discover that you can actually get to it when you're outside. It made the impression of the size of the game that much better.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

Pete's elevator isn't even a loading screen though, there are airlocks at the top and bottom.

Yep, the entire lobby area is one level. You can clip out of the map by the door to the arboretum and fall all the way down to the door to life support.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ElectricSheep posted:

SS2 had loading screens when you activated the elevator or went through bulkheads, same as Prey. SS1 didn't have bulkheads -- each level fits entirely in memory -- but did have a loading screen when you moved between decks. It's just that if you're playing it in dosbox on a modern machine, the entire ARCHIVE.DAT is in the block cache already, and the game freezes up for a tenth of a second rather than for 15+ seconds while it loads and decompresses the next map.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

What I can't really tell is whether the inside and outside of the station are 1:1 in size. It really feels like they are.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pharmaskittle posted:

What I can't really tell is whether the inside and outside of the station are 1:1 in size. It really feels like they are.

I think that they are, there are points where you can see inside/outside of the station and it looks appropriated scaled.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I hacked the corrupted operators at the bottom of the elevator shaft, thinking it would turn them back into regular operators and that that would be a great place to have them. Nope, they're still corrupted; they're just non-hostile. All they do is float around complaining about poo poo. I've left them alive because I think of them as my cranky pets and it makes me smile whenever I see them. :allears:

As far as hacking operators goes, though, later in the game I learned that it's never a bad idea to hack a group of military operators. They own. I just wish the hostile ones didn't infinitely immediately respawn.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

...! posted:

I hacked the corrupted operators at the bottom of the elevator shaft, thinking it would turn them back into regular operators and that that would be a great place to have them. Nope, they're still corrupted; they're just non-hostile. All they do is float around complaining about poo poo. I've left them alive because I think of them as my cranky pets and it makes me smile whenever I see them. :allears:

As far as hacking operators goes, though, later in the game I learned that it's never a bad idea to hack a group of military operators. They own. I just wish the hostile ones didn't infinitely immediately respawn.

You can stop the respawning by putting a big object in front of the dispenser or by clogging it with gloo.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

You can stop the respawning by putting a big object in front of the dispenser or by clogging it with gloo.

Oh my god

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

gloo pops off after like a minute tho

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I tried putting heavy things infront, but it didn't work. But I could easily have not placed them correctly.

Has anyone got this working in VR?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, I'm doing a second "kill everybody" playthrough and just had my access to making neuromods cut off. That never happened to me in my first game, possibly because I explored so much that I found the license renewal program before the quest could even kick in?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yes, if you break into Fabrication on the second floor of the Neuromod division before a certain point (you can access it as soon as you get Hack 2 or the keycode to volunteer quarters, which I think is somewhere in the Hardware Labs), you can cancel the neuromod DRM entirely. Otherwise you have to get the plans from Alex's office in the Arbortetum

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I just killed Mikhaila Ilyushin on my KILL EVERYBODY run for the achievement. It's no big deal to have done that, after all I'm gonna get an achievement for it.

:negative:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Well I just killed Mikhaila Ilyushin on my KILL EVERYBODY run for the achievement. It's no big deal to have done that, after all I'm gonna get an achievement for it.

Yeah okay sure but what kind of phantom did her corpse make?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

The corpse phantoms are preset?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

it's okay. the chef was her dad. she's got the genes of a psychopath. you were right to do it.

... you loving monster

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Neurosis posted:

it's okay. the chef was her dad. she's got the genes of a psychopath. you were right to do it.

... you loving monster

Which one?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Neurosis posted:

it's okay. the chef was her dad.

Wait... seriously? :aaa:

Also for some reason killing Alex didn't register as a human death, but I'd saved him because I wanted to kill him right at the end before trying to escape. So maybe that changes something in the simulation?

I did get Awkward Ride Home though which was hilarious. "I don't know why you did that but I assume you had your reasons, so long as I can still go home I don't care :shrug:"

Neurosis posted:

... you loving monster

I know :gonk:

Getting the needle free run AND saving everybody for my final campaign is gonna be interesting - my typhon only run was maddening from the lack of inventory space.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Wait... seriously? :aaa:

No.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
They're lying to you, Morgan

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

No but they both have very untrustworthy accents

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

They're lying to you, Morgan

KILL THEM ALL! :black101:

Oh yeah, and on my second playthrough I belatedly realized why,"Is she hiding behind that chair?" is so funny :)

Edit: I don't know why I believed the chef was her dad, I heard the audio of what happened to him. I'm dumb.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It would have made for a very effective moral dilemma. I know I was anticipating the chef would be her daddy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that'll do, I have plenty of other games I should be clearing from my backlog now.

Oh who am I kidding.
Starts a third campaign

Edit:

And finished the third campaign. Jesus Christ what a great game. Thankfully I have the Dishonored 2 expansion to deal with any Arkane withdrawals for the time being.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 22, 2018

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Loving the game, I really hope it has some legs in terms of sales.

I'm sure people have brought this up, but it's surprisingly hard to find a lot of info about some of the game's secrets and easter eggs and stuff; I just found Morgan's parents' room in the breached part of the crew quarters. The computer terminal is unpowered and the stun gun causes it to make a bunch of sounds but it still won't turn on. I'm guessing this is impossible to access? Pretty frustrating if so.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
lol the AI just got super-real with me right after I helped a bunch of people get some turrets and fight a tough battle. He's like "That was nice of you to give them some hope. Even if you've got to kill them all later on, it was good of you to help them."

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Martman posted:

Loving the game, I really hope it has some legs in terms of sales.

I'm sure people have brought this up, but it's surprisingly hard to find a lot of info about some of the game's secrets and easter eggs and stuff; I just found Morgan's parents' room in the breached part of the crew quarters. The computer terminal is unpowered and the stun gun causes it to make a bunch of sounds but it still won't turn on. I'm guessing this is impossible to access? Pretty frustrating if so.

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/955603097904173056
550k sales, in the top rankings of steam sales but probably not enough to make large profits even for an AA(A?) game. Don't know about console sales.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I highly doubt that AC: Origins only just outperformed Prey

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

I highly doubt that AC: Origins only just outperformed Prey

Prey was released in May, ACO was released in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Also sold on uplay, outside of steam, so not all sales will show up in that chart.