Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I would LOVE a ladytiel...but with the dust, it wouldn't be good for me or Cricket...she makes me sneeze as it is. I can't imagine having cockatiel dust up my nose as well as Cricket's conure feather fluff....

Nonetheless, enjoy your lil ladybird there...she seems to be a sweet lil thing :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
t[fw \
+++++++

i wqanna scr+oll down and reply but a bird is standing on th up button and 3the and another bird is walking aro+und *the keybo7a9rd+++++

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
It's the beginning of fluff season!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Hahaha I wish I had a camera on me. I was giving my GCC and Nanday some chunks of almond as a treat. I guess I took too long getting the treat to my bigger bird though cause he waited til the little one was distracted and plucked it out of his foot and walked away with it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

It's the beginning of fluff season!

It's so fluffy I want to die!!!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Do dusty birds make not dusty birds sick?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

underage at the vape shop posted:

Well, I have been told by my vet, plus Cricket's raiser, that dusty birds (tiels, toos etc) can cause issues with non-dusty birds (conures) re: breathing/lungs etc. I don't know...I've heard conflicting things, but I know I am covered in powder when I am playing with my friends tiels and it makes me sneeze like you wouldn't believe.

So, there you go...I'm not sure why it wouldn't affect other dusty birds but maybe they are somewhat protected from it, being dusty themselves?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

underage at the vape shop posted:

Rule of thumb is not to house Old World parrots with New World parrots because many Old World parrot species have "powder down" feathers whose keratin sheaths break down into finer dust than the feathers of New World birds. Cockatoos/tiels and African Grays being the worst offenders in this regard.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Not mine but... pic from the breeder that I will be getting mine from. Got another few months to a year to wait... Must... Be... Patient...

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Rallos posted:

Not mine but... pic from the breeder that I will be getting mine from. Got another few months to a year to wait... Must... Be... Patient...

oh my goooood

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ama has something wrong with his right eye. It's been off and on since late November; I noticed some white crusts in the corners and pink/reddish irritation in the veins of the white skin around it. Of course I took him to work right away to see a vet but the vet didn't see anything overtly wrong with it. I have an antibiotic ointment but it doesn't seem to be... doing anything.

He doesn't seem to be in pain and is acting totally normal aside from the pinkness of the skin around that eye and the fact that he recently has been keeping it closed more often than not, even while being bright and attentive with his other eye.

If anyone has any sort of advice or information please help. :( If anything permanent happens to him I will literally die.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
any new toys or whatever you have put into his cage around the time it started showing? or re-organized his cage?

Like does he have a favorite spot to sit in and might be clunking his head/eye on a toy that wasn't there normally and hasn't learned to just not bash into it?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

He did have a new toy in his night cage, that I bought while away for the holiday, but I removed it immediately after noticing the problem and it persists. There's no other environment changes that I can think of.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rallos posted:

Remember to water them every day, and leave them in a sunny place not too dry.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

He did have a new toy in his night cage, that I bought while away for the holiday, but I removed it immediately after noticing the problem and it persists. There's no other environment changes that I can think of.

Does he sleep against something on that side? It could be it's irritating his eye.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

He reads your posting with that eye :sotw:

i really hope ama is doin fine and that it's just a benign oddity

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Uhhhh seriously though, think of things ama does with that side of his head. It's his left eye, so does he perch forward facing on your right shoulder and backward on your left shoulder, exposing his left eye to makeup more intensely? Is there some cloth to the left of his favorite perch? Stuff like this.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
would a tiny eye-patch help? :3:

with a matching pirate hat :3: :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Can you go back to the vet (or call/email if they'll do that) and explain the ointment isn't working, time for something else?

Is there anywhere he could be leaning and reinfecting himself before you get to clean it? Could you try putting him in a super clean, boring cage for a few nights/days, even better if in a different area, and see if it improves at all?

E:

GoldStandardConure posted:

would a tiny eye-patch help? :3:

with a matching pirate hat :3: :3:

http://www.flightquarters.com/bird-diapers/product/pirate-flightsuit-and-hat.html

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I got a bird!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lookit that bird

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

I got a bird!

that is a BIG bird!!!

A flightless variety I assume....but still looks like a Goode Birde!!

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Potato Salad posted:

I got a bird!

Beautiful bird! What kind of playstand does it enjoy?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Potato Salad posted:

I got a bird!

We had two chickens for about a year when I was a kid...then our lab got them. My mom was on her way to feed the chickens when the dog went up to her with a dead roster in her jaws tale wagging with a look that just screamed "HEY I GOT YOU THIS BIRD!!!" That dog did live to chase quail up down the valleys of the Mojave so more our fault than the dog's really.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 21, 2018

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/ayapiyo140/status/953634420652568576

hoot

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ama has something wrong with his right eye. It's been off and on since late November; I noticed some white crusts in the corners and pink/reddish irritation in the veins of the white skin around it. Of course I took him to work right away to see a vet but the vet didn't see anything overtly wrong with it. I have an antibiotic ointment but it doesn't seem to be... doing anything.

He doesn't seem to be in pain and is acting totally normal aside from the pinkness of the skin around that eye and the fact that he recently has been keeping it closed more often than not, even while being bright and attentive with his other eye.

If anyone has any sort of advice or information please help. :( If anything permanent happens to him I will literally die.

Vet vet vet vet vet vet vet

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Eejit posted:

jumping on the vet train here... get thee to the vet again.

It's better to be safe than sorry!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eejit posted:

I am pretty sure that LAB works for a vet so when she said "took Ama to work" she means a vet.

Otherwise yeah I would have suggested vet too.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Oh well in that case, you should probably post pictures of Ama so I can uh tele-consult

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Hello hello, bird people. Been reading and looking at everyone's pics for a bit, decided it was time to share some myself. Please excuse the crappy quality pics.

This is Tito, he's about 12 years old now. Does that mean he's an old man, or a teenager? We've had him since he was a baby, and he even survived a hawk attack when he was younger.

After stealing some carrots off my plate.

Scratchy scratchy

After splashing around in the sink.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GoldStandardConure posted:

I am pretty sure that LAB works for a vet so when she said "took Ama to work" she means a vet.

Otherwise yeah I would have suggested vet too.

Yeah lol. I've been giving my coworker/his vet regular updates, I'm just insanely paranoid and figured the more input the better (for example I'm sure the 'is he rubbing his face on yours and irritated by your makeup?' suggestion would never have occurred to him).

Tito is cute!

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 23, 2018

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Veritas posted:

Hello hello, bird people. Been reading and looking at everyone's pics for a bit, decided it was time to share some myself. Please excuse the crappy quality pics.

This is Tito, he's about 12 years old now. Does that mean he's an old man, or a teenager? We've had him since he was a baby, and he even survived a hawk attack when he was younger.

After stealing some carrots off my plate.

Scratchy scratchy

After splashing around in the sink.

such a cute potato :)

I'm jealous tho...the only time I can get Cricket to eat carrots is if they are on my plate and in a soup or casserole or something. Even then it's like an accidental ingestion of said carrots. She has a thing against carrots apparently....they are only good to be screamed at and thrown at the cats.

We have tried raw, steamed, boiled, baby food....and she refuses to eat them. Even in chop, I will see that there are still carrots in the bowl...she somehow manages to pick them out fo the chop and they are finely chopped too!!

She does, however, eat sweet potatoes now...but only if I am eating them and she can steal off my plate.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 23, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This right here. This is the "feels good man" rage face

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
why are you like this

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
has this been posted yet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHJPGVej9ti/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I saw that in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48EY6dkwQII

This is a pretty solid collection. Some great African Grey poo poo in there.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I saw that in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48EY6dkwQII

This is a pretty solid collection. Some great African Grey poo poo in there.

I could watch these all day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ol9X2Ffj1U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
taco is not a fan of mandy candy