Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
oh yeah! that’s what I mean. I’d like to watch some real classics that I never get around to watching on my own (a second time in some cases anyway lol) especially cartoons. Do some Wizards, Secret of Nihm, I’ve always wanted to watch some the rougher Bakshi films too like Fritz and Coonskin

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koishi Komeiji

There was a goon who used to stream movies in here and the website he used had a little chat feature so yobs could come in and say mst3k stuff while the movie played. I have no idea what software he used but it was web based and probably free.

Starman Super DX

putty suggested something called OBS but my main concern is a stream service that’s not going to restrict content. I looked into setting up a private server but it the “how-to” guide was for Linux and the windows guide was just a boatload of technical jargon far beyond my reasonable scope of understanding :thunk:

Tell me more!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Inspired by Hugh Malone's avatar, I think we should watch a Buster Keaton silent comedy.

Sig by Heather Papps

bean mom

Koishi Komeiji posted:

There was a goon who used to stream movies in here and the website he used had a little chat feature so yobs could come in and say mst3k stuff while the movie played. I have no idea what software he used but it was web based and probably free.

its called synchtube, a goon runs one for the wrestling crowd but everyone can use it for their own thing

http://www.psp-tv.com/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Inspired by Hugh Malone's avatar, I think we should watch a Buster Keaton silent comedy.
*bows head slightly*
*looks around furtively*
*clears throat*
yas

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

treasure bear

Starman Super DX posted:

putty suggested something called OBS but my main concern is a stream service that’s not going to restrict content. I looked into setting up a private server but it the “how-to” guide was for Linux and the windows guide was just a boatload of technical jargon far beyond my reasonable scope of understanding :thunk:

i've set up https://github.com/arut/nginx-rtmp-module before and it was a huge pain, now you would need to make it transcode with ffmpeg to HLS or DASH for it to work without flash

treasure bear

https://wmspanel.com/nimble/install#os_windows might be an option but I haven't tried it

you're probably best off using a linux vps though just for bandwidth

treasure bear fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 21, 2018

punchymcpunch

i like billy joel

Koishi Komeiji

punchymcpunch posted:

i like billy joel

But would you like Billy Joel if he was a racist dog in sunglasses with a Mc Donald's happy meal toy deal?

punchymcpunch

one time i got a happy meal and the toy was a pack of fries that transforms into a robot

alnilam

punchymcpunch posted:

one time i got a happy meal and the toy was a pack of fries that transforms into a robot

I remember those, i had a rad hotcakes-pterodactyl

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
There's something slyly subversive in admitting McDonald's food is, secretly, made of robots and lizards.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

There's something slyly subversive in admitting McDonald's food is, secretly, made of robots and lizards.
Why secretly? That should be their slogan!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

the good news is that robots and lizards actually count as food, compared to their chicken mcnuggets.

BIRDCON 2017

Zyla posted:

its called synchtube, a goon runs one for the wrestling crowd but everyone can use it for their own thing

http://www.psp-tv.com/

did nite crew chat disband? i miss that.

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
No it still exists. It's just that you can always setup boutique channels to handle events. BYOB Presents: A BYOB Experience of: A Disney Retrospective makes sense in its own channel.

BoldFrankensteinMir

I just want to point out that streaming Disney flicks without a license at this particular junction in history would be a brass-balls way to attract attention to ourselves. Whether that's a negative or a positive thing depends on how you look at it, but I would not be at all surprised if somebody ended up with a C&D. Of course, we do have the incomparable counsel of Leonard J. Crabs on our side...

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

You know what? Do it. I want to fight The Mouse. I think we could successfully argue that A- Walt Disney intended his work to be incorporated into the historical record and B- the Walt Disney Corporation has not provided suitable access to those historic records by traditional channels, necessitating the use of alternate channels for scholarly work.

It's not media piracy. Its media privateering.

Sig by Heather Papps

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
hah, I'm not fool enough to do battle with Walt's ghost.

Starman Super DX

You know what? Do it. I want to fight The Mouse. I think we could successfully argue that A- Walt Disney intended his work to be incorporated into the historical record and B- the Walt Disney Corporation has not provided suitable access to those historic records by traditional channels, necessitating the use of alternate channels for scholarly work.

It's not media piracy. Its media privateering.

See this is something I'm curious about too. How much of a legal grey area is it, REALLY? Would it be that dissimilar to a non-profit community event showing of a film or even just watching a movie with friends? Not only that but this isn't free on-demand access but only for a brief window each week or so.
I mean I'm asking honestly because I really have no idea. Personally I think I would only really be concerned if the audience grew to an unmanageable size.

Tell me more!

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
In a note that doesn't involve plausible copyright infringment that may need to be discussed elsewhere,

I'm working on a new tampermonkey script that hides the opinion section on the front page of newspapers, so that, you know, the actual reporting gets all the focus. Right now it only works on WaPo and NYT. Where else should I add?

alnilam

cnn dot com
fox news dot com (lol)
uhh wall street journal?

BIRDCON 2017

i've never heard of major companies going after 10-20 viewer streams and it's pretty hard to imagine. at that level it's prob more important whether or not you're violating the terms of whatever platform you're on.
if you want to avoid streaming completely https://www.mycircle.tv/ is easy and works well.

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

alnilam posted:

cnn dot com
fox news dot com (lol)
uhh wall street journal?

These are all good ideas. Thank you! I had uhhh forgotten that Fox existed outside something old people put on in the background.

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
Strangled in my sleep by a litigious ghost mouse

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

alnilam posted:

we got real drunk last night and watched cartoon robin hood for the millionth time

imo it's the best disney film

roger miller is p amazing

i got one of his records with a staple in the jacket and the disk wasnt even scratched! :mystery:

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Strangled in my sleep by a litigious ghost mouse

should have slept in king bluetooths grave then the mice wooden a strangled ya!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I don't think it's copyright infringement. And I'm idiot king so this counts as the correct place to clear up a rules issue in the hypothetical. Nobody's streamed nuthin' yet.

It would be amazing if we could even just watch #1, Snow White, as a group. That's a Byob as hell movie.

Edit- Of course if a real mod disagrees I am of course merely Idiot King.

Sig by Heather Papps

Robot Made of Meat

I don't think it's copyright infringement. And I'm idiot king so this counts as the correct place to clear up a rules issue in the hypothetical. Nobody's streamed nuthin' yet.

It would be amazing if we could even just watch #1, Snow White, as a group. That's a Byob as hell movie.

Edit- Of course if a real mod disagrees I am of course merely Idiot King.

The standard copyright warning says, "Warning: The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to five years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000."

To stream a movie is to distribute, and the fact that it is without monetary gain is irrelevant.

I don't want to be a party pooper, I just don't want to see yobbers get in trouble.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Macnult

Disney is evil enough to go after byob

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Macnult posted:

Disney is evil enough to go after byob

this. they're loving monsters.

alnilam

i'm quite sure that streaming a disney movie, even for free, would be illegal

you would probably not be caught or noticed with such a small group but on the other hand, disney is probably the single most prosecution-happy media company so it's a risk

in conclusion, i'm sorry to say so but you probably shouldn't do it, or if you do, please don't talk too much about it here like use coded language or something you kn/ow?

ty manifisto

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i am pleased to announce, my yobfriends, that i have 11 nests of cardinals with mated pairs so we're having babies! a lot of them! please send baby shower gifts to my house, mostly worms, thanks.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

how do you buy tiny bird diapers? and where? how does that even work? does the birdmother get adequate leave from her job???

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
baby bird boomboom

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BoldFrankensteinMir

But there's no legal alternative. All the Disney movies got yanked from streaming services and not all the discs are available for sale. If you're telling me the legally correct way to watch the entire canon is to rely on buying used DVDs but NOT file-sharing then that's some real murky waters.

But I will admit they are a scary multinational behemoth so, yeah, maybe not.

Edit- Uh, clearly talking about donuts. Who wants donuts? I'ma make a donut run, brb...

Sig by Heather Papps

Robot Made of Meat

But there's no legal alternative. All the Disney movies got yanked from streaming services and not all the discs are available for sale. If you're telling me the legally correct way to watch the entire canon is to rely on buying used DVDs but NOT file-sharing then that's some real murky waters.

But I will admit they are a scary multinational behemoth so, yeah, maybe not.

Edit- Uh, clearly talking about donuts. Who wants donuts? I'ma make a donut run, brb...

Nothing murky about it. Disney owns the rights, and they are under no obligation whatever to provide you with . . . umm. Donuts.

I'm not saying anything about right or wrong here, just the legality of the situation.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
ive been locked in the disney vault for 69 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

Putty posted:

ive been locked in the disney vault for 69 years

Oh yeah? Well I've been locked in the artist formerly known as prince's vault since 1969. :smugbert: