Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

bull3964 posted:

There's no such thing as a "usb 2.0 plug", it's a full specification. There's modifications to the plug design for super-speed transfer at the device end, but that was exceedingly rare on phones.

The USB-C cable that google ships with the pixels is only USB 2.0. USB 3.1 type c cables are more expensive since they require emarking.

You can be drat sure that the type c cables that Samsung ships with their Galaxy phones are USB 2.0 because Samsung's proprietary charging will fry an emarked cable.

The issue here is that Essential is saying you need a USB3+ cable to flash the phone which is just silly. That leads me to believe that the cables they sent out with the phones weren't validated for data at all and any transfer could get corrupted.

Edit: I worded that first part poorly, I need some coffee. What I was meaning to say is that the specification is more than the plug itself, especially when talking about USB-C like we are here.

Im pretty sure the cable I used to switch to the oreo beta was a 2.0 speeds fat usb to usb-c and it worked fine. I'm thinking its them covering their asses because the cable was just rated for power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

PerrineClostermann posted:

2.0 plugs were standard until the switch to USB C. Even then, I believe several models still used 2.0 over C.

That said, I've been 3.0 since the Note 3.

I always had one of these bastards

which was kind of alright because it still fit the USB 2.0 micro-b in case i had to emergency charge from one of my other friends' cables

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm pretty sure the Note 3 and the Galaxy S5 were like the only mainstream phones that ever shipped with a micro B 3.0 port. Samsung dropped it the next year on both devices.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Pixel 2 camera is very nice for pointing and shooting and getting pretty images

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
So my Nexus 5X died another boot-loopy death and Google Fi decided to refund me instead of offer a Pixel or anything.

I mostly used the 5X while I was travelling, but I intended to use it as my everyday phone on Sprint. That not really being an option now, I'm looking at the Essential Phone as a replacement. Anyone had experience with it? I know the camera was a little bit janky but I'm upgrading for the 5X and iPhone 6 cameras, which I don't think are great shakes.

Any advice is welcome.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Oneplus phones have pretty good cameras with a sideloaded google camera apk.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don't loving buy a OnePlus phone how many times do we have to repeat it

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
Sprint apparently hates OnePlus and won't activate the 5T on their network, apparently.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Huh, a reason to like Sprint. Weird.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't loving buy a OnePlus phone how many times do we have to repeat it

And even if you MUST buy a oneplus phone, don't buy it from oneplus!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

blackjack posted:

Sprint apparently hates OnePlus and won't activate the 5T on their network, apparently.

The whole USA network system is baffling to me as a European.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

blackjack posted:

I'm looking at the Essential Phone as a replacement. Anyone had experience with it? I know the camera was a little bit janky but I'm upgrading for the 5X and iPhone 6 cameras, which I don't think are great shakes.

Any advice is welcome.

I'd encourage you to read this review of Essential phone written after four months of updates and tell me if you think that's something you'd like to deal with.

Buy either a 4GB Moto G5+ for $230 from Amazon or a Pixel 2.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

blackjack posted:

Posted from my Kyocera Hydro

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

blackjack posted:

I'm looking at the Essential Phone as a replacement. Anyone had experience with it? I know the camera was a little bit janky but I'm upgrading for the 5X and iPhone 6 cameras, which I don't think are great shakes.

Any advice is welcome.

I have the PH-1 and I like it fine. It's not something I'd recommend to the average Joe, however. If you know what you're getting yourself into and can get a good deal then it's not a bad option.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mega Comrade posted:

The whole USA network system is baffling to me as a European.

Capitalism uber alles. Regulation is the devil. Privatize all the things.

/nutshell

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, in this case, it's simply because OnePlus didn't build the thing to have the radios to be compatible on all carriers.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Well, in this case, it's simply because OnePlus didn't build the thing to have the radios to be compatible on all carriers.

Lol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

bull3964 posted:

That's pretty common though isn't it? Most phones get an international version of the hardware and then a version for you guys because you're the only ones who use the CDMA network.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

That's pretty common though isn't it? Most phones get an international version of the hardware and then a version for you guys because you're the only ones who use the CDMA network.

Actually, the reason for that isn't CDMA but just the sheer number of bands that need to be covered. Even GSM only phones usually need a NA and International variant for optimal band coverage.

Building a NA phone that covers all NA carriers is pretty common now. Motorola has been doing it for years (excepting models that Verizon has paid for exclusivity on), Google has done it since the Nexus 6, you can buy an unlocked and carrier agnostic Galaxy S8, even Essential got it right on their first go.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Now the problem is actually the opposite because the EU did not standardize on LTE bands and software radios can only do so much so you're stuck either providing all the LTE bands you need for global use or just most of them plus the US bands. As bull says CDMA vs GSM never really comes into play here anymore and as Verizon moves to VoLTE it won't be an issue at all.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
So how often do Motorola provide updates for the G5+? Once a year? Twice?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Earl of Lavender posted:

So how often do Motorola provide updates for the G5+? Once a year? Twice?

Not often though owners might have more details. I think you can expect one software update and quarterly security updates at best.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

Not often though owners might have more details. I think you can expect one software update and quarterly security updates at best.

Yuck. Think I might be stuck with security patches from the start of August until they push the next version of Android out..

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Earl of Lavender posted:

Yuck. Think I might be stuck with security patches from the start of August until they push the next version of Android out..

The current patch level should be November 2017.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

The current patch level should be November 2017.

Seems to be inconsistent across software channels. I'm not being offered anything past August in 'retapac,' the Asia/Pacific region, but the internet seems to suggest the India region is pretty on the ball with updates, etc.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah I've got the US Amazon version and I'm on August.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it typical for the Pixel 2 to just kinda lock up and then turn off like an old CRT TV when you have to force reboot it?

It's the first time it's happened.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Are Android One phones supposed to get the monthly security updates? You know, monthly?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are Android One phones supposed to get the monthly security updates? You know, monthly?

This is all it says on the site so I don't think so

quote:

With Android One, your phone will receive at least two years of OS upgrades to the latest version of Android. That means access to the latest innovations and a phone that always runs as smoothly as the day you bought it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

This is from June of last year and has a table showing the phones that had a majority running a security update from the last two months, very shameful

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/06/2017-android-security-rewards.html

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

This is from June of last year and has a table showing the phones that had a majority running a security update from the last two months, very shameful

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/06/2017-android-security-rewards.html

I'm legit impressed at Samsung though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If it's a Lenovo phone they probably just say gently caress it and never update. Like on my G5 Plus. Still running 7.0

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

If it's a Lenovo phone they probably just say gently caress it and never update. Like on my G5 Plus. Still running 7.0

You're not alone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought the entire point of Android One was that updates come from Google.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The os updates come from google

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Blue Train posted:

The os updates come from google

Same as it ever was, because doesn't the OEM of the devices have to opt into the whole thing anyways?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I have a Moto Z2 Play, 32GB internal storage. Right now I have about 10 gigs free storage with a good chunk of cached data I could clear and some other app data I can chip away at if need be. Here's the issue. I bought a MicroSD card recently with the intention of formatting it as internal storage just so I could set it and forget it as it were. However, Googling tells me that's probably a bad idea. Any input from folks here?

Here are the relevant facts about my usage:

-I don't really anticipate installing too many more apps, at least not really big ones. That said, it'd be nice to be able to just do that with impunity if I wanted to, y'know?
-I don't download music to the phone at the moment, though that may change.
-My only real fear about formatting as internal is it dying and borking everything, but obviously that'd be a huge deal.

Does anybody have any experience doing this? Any recommendations? If I format the SD as external, I'd still have the option to theoretically move new apps to the SD, right?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Formatting as internal storage would be great if SD cards would never die and had the speed internal storage has.
Right now if the SD cards dies (which they do, unexpectedly) you pretty much have to factory reset your phone.
SD cards also tend to be a lot slower than the internal storage so you might slow down your phone quite a lot.

You can move apps to an external SD card but not all apps allow it. Some apps like games or spotify that use a lot of storage can also still save all their data on the internal storage even if you move the app to the SD.
So in conclusion: SD cards and android, still a shitshow.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

blackjack posted:

So my Nexus 5X died another boot-loopy death and Google Fi decided to refund me instead of offer a Pixel or anything.

I mostly used the 5X while I was travelling, but I intended to use it as my everyday phone on Sprint. That not really being an option now, I'm looking at the Essential Phone as a replacement. Anyone had experience with it? I know the camera was a little bit janky but I'm upgrading for the 5X and iPhone 6 cameras, which I don't think are great shakes.

Any advice is welcome.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/21/moto-x4-android-one-now-offered-replacement-faulty-nexus-5x-phones-project-fi-lieu-crappy-53-payout/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So I have a Moto Z2 Play, 32GB internal storage. Right now I have about 10 gigs free storage with a good chunk of cached data I could clear and some other app data I can chip away at if need be. Here's the issue. I bought a MicroSD card recently with the intention of formatting it as internal storage just so I could set it and forget it as it were. However, Googling tells me that's probably a bad idea. Any input from folks here?

Here are the relevant facts about my usage:

-I don't really anticipate installing too many more apps, at least not really big ones. That said, it'd be nice to be able to just do that with impunity if I wanted to, y'know?
-I don't download music to the phone at the moment, though that may change.
-My only real fear about formatting as internal is it dying and borking everything, but obviously that'd be a huge deal.

Does anybody have any experience doing this? Any recommendations? If I format the SD as external, I'd still have the option to theoretically move new apps to the SD, right?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Don't use the internal storage feature, just format it as an external SD. Set up all camera / music / podcast apps to use it. Move existing photos onto it. Set up Google Photos free backup so you won't ever care if it dies.