Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly most of the Demon Girls humanoid forms are cute in Devilman G

And then they get somewhat freaky.

Except for Naza who never shows a human form but is cute at all times in Demon Form if you ignore her breasts.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Her breasts look like they tell lovely jokes, so that's okay.
Long fluffy hair is extremely good.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I've never read or watched any Devilman series prior to this but I loved this show. For me it perfectly hit the line of being as depressing as possible without making me feel apathetic. It's also the first story that's actually made me cry in like 5 years so good job.

A lot of people in this thread seem to be down on the fact that Ryo had no development and ultimately "won" but I completely disagree. Ryo did develop, just in the wrong direction. We were shown right from the start that he had the capability to feel but he rejects it because it isn't logical and he believes it only causes terrible things, which is reinforced from how humanity reacts to the revelation of demons.

In the end nobody won, Ryo became just as cold as the god he rebelled against and it caused him to lose the only person who understood he could be something more. Akira lost to Ryo's logic because feelings are a weakness, but ultimately Ryo lost because if you don't feel anything what's the point of being strong?

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Dire Lemming posted:

I've never read or watched any Devilman series prior to this but I loved this show. For me it perfectly hit the line of being as depressing as possible without making me feel apathetic. It's also the first story that's actually made me cry in like 5 years so good job.

A lot of people in this thread seem to be down on the fact that Ryo had no development and ultimately "won" but I completely disagree. Ryo did develop, just in the wrong direction. We were shown right from the start that he had the capability to feel but he rejects it because it isn't logical and he believes it only causes terrible things, which is reinforced from how humanity reacts to the revelation of demons.

In the end nobody won, Ryo became just as cold as the god he rebelled against and it caused him to lose the only person who understood he could be something more. Akira lost to Ryo's logic because feelings are a weakness, but ultimately Ryo lost because if you don't feel anything what's the point of being strong?

yeah but was he gay tho

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dire Lemming posted:

When Satan was reborn into the world the first thing the world tried to do was kill him. It's natural that he'd distrust everything he's not familiar with, even the capybaras - so the assumption that love isn't real was rational. He loved Akira in spite of that belief because he's never had cause to love anyone else, so there's nothing for him to relate his feelings to outside of Akira. The Devil doesn't even understand itself. Ryo develops in the right direction, because he ends up fully realizing the human experience. What wins in the end is the transformative power of love.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i can't believe the next netflix anime is baki friends

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

When Satan was reborn into the world the first thing the world tried to do was kill him. It's natural that he'd distrust everything he's not familiar with, even the capybaras - so the assumption that love isn't real was rational. He loved Akira in spite of that belief because he's never had cause to love anyone else, so there's nothing for him to relate his feelings to outside of Akira. The Devil doesn't even understand itself. Ryo develops in the right direction, because he ends up fully realizing the human experience. What wins in the end is the transformative power of love.

Yeah, I didn't mean that it's a completely hopeless everyone loses forever ending, just that saying Ryo wins and Akira loses misses the point. Besides isn't that kind of a thing with Masaaki anime? You fail and you do better next time, even if next time is a million years in the future.

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

yeah but was he gay tho

Probably.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

pener i hope you're up to date on the baki series and will be posting in the baki anime thread

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

pener i hope you're up to date on the baki series and will be posting in the baki anime thread

I think I can grapple with that.

Dire Lemming posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean that it's a completely hopeless everyone loses forever ending, just that saying Ryo wins and Akira loses misses the point. Besides isn't that kind of a thing with Masaaki anime? You fail and you do better next time, even if next time is a million years in the future.

I guess it's really more like Miki wins, but yeah. In Tatami Galaxy the protagonist experiences the same year of college over and over again, until he ends up being so socially withdrawn that he's trapped in an infinite series of tatami rooms.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

read kengan ashura too in anticipation for its anime if you don't. that goes for everyone else

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Calvin Coolposts posted:

So back when I was 17 or 18, I got all five volumes of the bilingual editions of the Devilman manga from some international online bookstore. As a teenage boy that just finally figured out that they were ~*~bisexual~*~ and had a lot of confused feelings about it due to growing up in a super conservative Christian home, I really appreciated Devilman because I could relate to Akira for being a confused teenager that turned into a monster and was romantically interested in both a girl (Miki) and a boy (Ryo). It's been over a decade since I've read it (since when I went off to college my mom found them and threw them out lol) so I don't know how much of that is actual text/subtext and how much is stuff I read into it, but it did help me sort out a lot of my feelings and made me more comfortable accepting being bi. And I really appreciate that crybaby is even gayer than the manga (and I'm including Miko/Miki in that, sorry if that gaslights anyone), and hope that it helps out any queer kids watching it on Netflix nowadays in a similar way.

Anyway, that's my story about Devilman and being gay, thanks for listening. If anybody has a similar story about Devilman or some other show please share it and maybe the thread will be better.

I found this pic weirdly comforting and relatable as a late gay teen

too bad it got the artist run off tumblr apparently

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

too bad it got the artist run off tumblr apparently

Why?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the dick is too big clearly

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Finished watching this, it was extremely good

Will be disappointed if Netflix doesn't follow this up with a violence jack / shin violence jack series, though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is violence jack worth reading?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only thing I know about Violence Jack is that Kouji Kabuto is in one arc, except instead of piloting Mazinger Z he sits on top of a big blind dude named Jim Mazinger.

Make it happen Netflix.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jose posted:

is violence jack worth reading?

Do you like excessive death and murder? Like, Riki-Oh levels?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

riki-oh is maybe the greatest manga ever made

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I've had plenty of times in my life where I've wanted to tell the people I care the most about that I loved them, but I never did because I was afraid of coming off as gay or as having some kind of sexual interest which wasn't there. By the time I lost those ties those feelings went unexpressed, and I've always regretted that I was incapable of expressing myself.

You don't say "I love you" to your friends because you're scared they'll think you're gay?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Namtab posted:

You don't say "I love you" to your friends because you're scared they'll think you're gay?

The early 2000s were a bad time to be a teenager.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

i think he's in one of those extremely bad bits of america

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

i think he's in one of those extremely bad bits of america

Oh yeah, I went to high school in Oklahoma.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive had times where i wanted to tell someone i was gay but i never did because i was afraid of being beaten to death

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

devilman!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The devil with the heart of a man

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the soundtrack is so loving good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I really like the new devilman no uta

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jose posted:

riki-oh is maybe the greatest manga ever made

Do you want anime Mad Max to a level that not even Fist of the North Star would dare attempt?

Do you loving love knives?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Do you want anime Mad Max to a level that not even Fist of the North Star would dare attempt?

Do you loving love knives?

You had me at "Violence-"

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Want a Violence girl who's not scared of anything

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i thought it was still being translated but apparently a group just released a bunch of chapters last year of violence jack then stopped

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol the violence jack dub nws i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipr-wS5iBv0

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Hold on I've got it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Bilence Jack

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

violent jack off

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

I mean it's clearly bart simpson.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/_daifei/status/954230127663206400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I mean it's clearly bart simpson.

*Satan pops out at the end of ep 9* I DIDN'T DO IT!

• Locked thread