Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm just excited to have a 20-ton Clan mech. It opens up so much potential for drop deck configurations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

The Clan heat gen nerf makes me sad, but it's understandable.

The cMPL nerf is just baffling, though. It already hardly sees use over the ERML.

It's only curtailing the max range, not the optimal range, so all that really happens in damage falls off faster. It's a complete non-change, and I don't really see the point.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

The cMPL nerf is just baffling, though. It already hardly sees use over the ERML.

I'm using them over ER mediums on my HLL boats because I find that I'm running out of space well before I'm running out of weight, and at that point you might as well spend the extra ton/laser.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

I'm using them over ER mediums on my HLL boats because I find that I'm running out of space well before I'm running out of weight, and at that point you might as well spend the extra ton/laser.

That's the thing, though, you use MPLs on boats like the Nova Cat and Super Nova. Mechs with so much free tonnage that you have leftovers after the 2LL/6ML plus heatsinks. If you could pack in moar DHS you'd much rather do that, but because you're out of critical space and hitting ghost heat on all your weapons there's no other place to spend the weight. It's part of what makes the Deathstrike so much better than the MAD IIC or SNV. It can make full use of its heat capacity while the dual gauss feasts on all that spare tonnage.

At the end of the day, the Clan ER Medium Laser is too loving good. No matter how much they nerf the drat thing, it keeps on truckin' because 7 damage for 1 ton and 1 critical slot is broken beyond belief.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Could someone please explain what ghost heat is because all I can think of is a ghost which is hot and spooky

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Angelwolf posted:

Could someone please explain what ghost heat is because all I can think of is a ghost which is hot and spooky

It's the community term for Heat Scale.

Edit: you can find the stats for all the linked weapon groups here, under the "Heat Penalties per weapon" section.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 20, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The Zeus that has LRM quirks is funny as poo poo, I think Commoners got it to fire the LRMs around a corner the geometry of the mech is so wide.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
Just had the best match of my MWO "career". 9 kills and 800 damage dealt in a MLX-G. Yep. A Mist Lynx. MGs and Heavy smalls.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Corn Burst posted:

Just had the best match of my MWO "career". 9 kills and 800 damage dealt in a MLX-G. Yep. A Mist Lynx. MGs and Heavy smalls.

MLX-G can dish out a hilarious amount of damage, nice job

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

yea I suck at this game but have done like 700 damage in a mlx g, it’s probably my favorite light rn. The piranha basically sounds like a significantly faster and better armed mist lynx which will be so dang awesome

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

It's pretty much just a worse IS standard ML at this point. It has 60m more optimal range, 90m less max range, same burn duration, same damage per heat, slightly better DPS, but weighs twice as much. cER ML is just better, at this point.

Would also have liked to see the clan heat gen nerf applied more sensibly. It's not like we're seeing rampant Kit Foxes, Shadowcats, and Gargoyles on the field right now, but the nerf hits these mechs as hard as the crazy overperformers like the MC2.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Lets talk about the Ilya. Theoretically this mech is good. Its a warhammer with 10% ballistic and 15% energy cooldown and a huge amount of armor quirks.

How do we make it good? What are its shortcomings?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It is me, I am the Mechwarrior today. :madmax:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Lets talk about the Ilya. Theoretically this mech is good. Its a warhammer with 10% ballistic and 15% energy cooldown and a huge amount of armor quirks.

How do we make it good? What are its shortcomings?

It's good on paper but unlike the Warhammers it's got lovely hardpoint positions. It's pretty fun still but other mechs can do it better.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Also unlike the Warhammer, which has amazing hitboxes, the Cataphract has some of the worst in the game. You can fix this by not playing a Cataphract.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

How do I fix up a Stormcrow thread? I've got a SCR-A but his current setup is just a dumb thing I've gotten tired of.

Also I made that MAD-IIC from the OP as well and have had a good time with it so far, hadn't played with pure laser and pulse too much until this point.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 21, 2018

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

How do I fix up a Stormcrow thread? I've got a SCR-A but his current setup is just a dumb thing I've gotten tired of.

Also I made that MAD-IIC from the OP as well and have had a good time with it so far, hadn't played with pure laser and pulse too much until this point.

What do you currently have on the Stormcrow?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's not much to do with the Stormcrow at the moment. It can do SRM splat, but not like the Mad Dog. Laser Vomit is an option, but the HBK-IIC does it better.

It's best niche was as an SPL/SRM brawler, but like so many other mechs the SPL nerf cut its legs off.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 21, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Polka_Rapper posted:

What do you currently have on the Stormcrow?

A goofy setup that's ER smalls and LRM15's, have a shameful screenshot.

I wanted something that could lob missiles at dummies in quick play and that's what happened.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Piranha scale comparison:

http://mwomercs.com/news/2018/01/1990-countdown-to-release-piranha-jan-23rd

It's itsy-bitsy!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If you have to do lock on missiles on the SCR at least do ATMs, which make good use of your speed. Honestly most everything that made the SCR good is gone but because it used to be good PGI is afraid of ever buffing it. It might do okaaaaay with 3ERML/2HLL but it just doesn't really have the slots to do it efficiently.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

With a scale like that, this thing will be the new king of light mechs. Imagine trying to fight a Locust or Command that can actually do DPS.

And in worse news, hero Piranha is better than all the others by a wide margin.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Like I said above, the best thing to do will be to not play until this thing comes out for CB & gets nerfed at the same time. It'll be insufferable to fight.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

Like I said above, the best thing to do will be to not play until this thing comes out for CB & gets nerfed at the same time. It'll be insufferable to fight.

Just bring streaks, it doesn't have ecm.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Orion VA is excellent. Runs hot after a while but can tank like gently caress, and its alpha is glorious. Might have to drop an engine bracket for artemis though.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Skippy McPants posted:

It's the community term for Heat Scale.

Edit: you can find the stats for all the linked weapon groups here, under the "Heat Penalties per weapon" section.

Thank you!
This explains it very well, and I now understand that Heat Spike warning thing a lot better

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Angelwolf posted:

Thank you!
This explains it very well, and I now understand that Heat Spike warning thing a lot better

No problem. I thought about putting some stuff about mech building in the OP, but MWO is such a rats nest of systems that it would bloat out of control real fast. I mean, the game is the successor to a 90's PC sim, which is itself an interpretation of an 80's tabletop war game. Both games are riddled with problems but changing any of the fundamentals causes a bunch of the fans to freak out about "muh cannon!" The solution PGI's settled on is to layer a whole new set of mechanics on top as a way to tweak numbers without rustling any jimmies.

So there are three different design sets, all tangled together and working at cross-purposes. We give PGI a lot of poo poo—plenty of it justified—but if I were a game designer tasked with approaching a mess like MWO, I would probably throw up in my mouth, pass out, and aspirate. Approaching it from the player side, I find it works best to dive in and learn by doing.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 21, 2018

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Could I get some feedback on this Cataphract CTF-4X idea?

CTF-4X

Never really done ballistics before, would this 2x Rotary A/C 5 with one back up laser be viable?

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Angelwolf posted:

CTF-4X

Never really done ballistics before, would this 2x Rotary A/C 5 with one back up laser be viable?

If you don't mind being slow as hell you can fit 4x AC5's in those arms. It's a lot of fun.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Riller posted:

If you don't mind being slow as hell you can fit 4x AC5's in those arms. It's a lot of fun.

Same speed actually: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=44&l=1ef7072e317476f5e6f8cad425083c711cc2e272

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Angelwolf posted:

CTF-4X

So, two questions here.

Do you want to try RACs specifically? They're a different kind of weapon than any other ballistic and only good in a pretty narrow range of builds.

Also, are you married to running the CTF-4X specifically, or are other variants and chassis on the table?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Not worth using rotary then?

Skippy McPants posted:

So, two questions here.

Do you want to try RACs specifically? They're a different kind of weapon than any other ballistic and only good in a pretty narrow range of builds.

Also, are you married to running the CTF-4X specifically, or are other variants and chassis on the table?

I want to use the CTF-4X specifically. I'd also really like to try RACs.

If it's futile to run RACs with the CTF-4X, I do also have a CPT-K2 I could use. Though I did just blow 5.2 mil on the CTF-4X because I thought it'd be neat to have a ballistic heavy.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 21, 2018

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Did the srm ghost heat penalty use to be 3 and they upped it to 4 recently? I found out i could boat loads of srm6's on my BJ today and am wondering if i was underutilizing it's hardpoints this whole time

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Angelwolf posted:

I want to use the CTF-4X specifically. I'd also really like to try RACs.

If it's futile to run RACs with the CTF-4X, I do also have a CPT-K2 I could use. Though I did just blow 5.2 mil on the CTF-4X because I thought it'd be neat to have a ballistic heavy.

Unfortunately, the CTF-4X is a pretty bad mech. In addition to the low mounts and bad hitboxes which are innate to the chassis, the 4X also has an unusually low engine cap. This would be one of those situations where asking in the thread before buying would have been wise. Since you're stuck with it now, I would agree that the quad AC5s is about the best build on the mech. However, I'd recommend this CTF-4X over the one TjyvTompa posted. It cuts the MLs and adds Light-Ferro to squeeze in an LFE. XLs are a dangerous game to play in the Cataphract.

Moving on to RACs, I think they work best on the Bushwhacker P2 and X2. 55 tons is about the sweet spot for dual RAC 5s, and you can't beat the BSW at that weight. That said, you can fit a decent version of the build on the CPLT-K2.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 21, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Did the srm ghost heat penalty use to be 3 and they upped it to 4 recently? I found out i could boat loads of srm6's on my BJ today and am wondering if i was underutilizing it's hardpoints this whole time

I think it was always four.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Skippy McPants posted:

Unfortunately, the CTF-4X is a pretty bad mech. In addition to the low mounts and bad hitboxes which are innate to the chassis, the 4X also has an unusually low engine cap. This would be one of those situations where asking in the thread before buying would have been wise. Since you're stuck with it now, I would agree that the quad AC5s is about the best build on the mech. However, I'd recommend this CTF-4X over the one TjyvTompa posted. It cuts the MLs and adds Light-Ferro to squeeze in an LFE. XLs are a dangerous game to play in the Cataphract.

Moving on to RACs, I think they work best on the Bushwhacker P2 and X2. 55 tons is about the sweet spot for dual RAC 5s, and you can't beat that BSW at that weight. That said, you can fit a decent version of the build on the CPLT-K2.

Live and learn I guess.

I'll try both of those builds out (CTF-4X and CPLT-KT) when C Bills permit

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

All the -x series cataphracts have insane durability quirks. I'd recommend looking at the survivability tree.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Enjoy some space rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfi2bZ5Bxw

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Oh God, this was the best nerd rage I've heard in a long while - and consequently, one of the most fun matches I've had all week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

MechWarrior Online: Die like a man, MechWarrior