Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, the Metal Zone came out like 25 years ago so I guess I can let this one slide.

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, the Metal Zone came out like 25 years ago so I guess I can let this one slide.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I reckon thats a legit statement. You can actually hear the dl4 on lots of important stuff from the mid 2000s on, which you cant say about any of the cult transparent haunting mid overdrives.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m a total delay/looper nerd but I’ve always thought the DL4 was a fragile turd :shrug:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Delay is such a well-established effect that it seems kinda weird to consider one that isn't one of the big firsts "important".

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I agree with his points but the way he delivers the message is hilariously seething:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HoQE4sKN_0

Also, he makes a big point about the fact Entombed used an Audio Technica mic and that this is the key to their sound (besides an HM-2 -> DS-1 -> Peavey Bandit, of course). Unless Dismember and Grave and Unleashed also used this same mic I'm going to go ahead and say it's the aforementioned Boss pedals with a Peavey that's actually the key you fookin' dingus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8muvSm7sJ4

The man needs views, I get it.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 21, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm not saying the article's wrong, I too have seen approximately a billion of those delay units on pedalboards at shows, I mostly posted it for how pitchforky it is.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

that guy's videos are great in part because he spends 20 minutes rambling on about nothing in particular and 3 minutes demonstrating the thing he ostensibly made the video about and in part because he goes through all that time and effort and some random axe-fx plugin from the ultimate guitar forums is a million times closer

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Crate made guitars?

edit: I searched for "crate" in the guitar section at Reverb and found an amazing thing.

BDA fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 21, 2018

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I agree with his points but the way he delivers the message is hilariously seething:

Also, he makes a big point about the fact Entombed used an Audio Technica mic and that this is the key to their sound (besides an HM-2 -> DS-1 -> Peavey Bandit, of course). Unless Dismember and Grave and Unleashed also used this same mic I'm going to go ahead and say it's the aforementioned Boss pedals with a Peavey that's actually the key you fookin' dingus.

I hope nobody takes him seriously because he doesn't know a drat thing about engineering a mix based off that first video.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

edit: I searched for "crate" in the guitar section at Reverb and found an amazing thing.

yowza

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Weird BIAS posted:

I hope nobody takes him seriously because he doesn't know a drat thing about engineering a mix based off that first video.

You mean the part about mids?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

I'm not saying the article's wrong, I too have seen approximately a billion of those delay units on pedalboards at shows, I mostly posted it for how pitchforky it is.
You mean Richdork Magazine? The ones partially responsible for Converge becoming something beyond a footnote in rock history?

I half-kid. I like me some Converge, but holy poo poo if it doesn't feel like they've been playing the same record since You Fail Me

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You mean the part about mids?

Yeah. Cutting mids works in certain contexts and depends on the volume levels because of the fletcher Munson curve. Low volume cut mids sound great but as you turn up you’re missing a lot of information and end up having bass and treble too loud. It also depends on who is sitting in that frequency, vocals are a mid instrument end of story and if your guitar is in the way yeah cutting mids makes sense.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

You mean Richdork Magazine? The ones partially responsible for Converge becoming something beyond a footnote in rock history?

I half-kid. I like me some Converge, but holy poo poo if it doesn't feel like they've been playing the same record since You Fail Me

give 'em a little credit, they did that one split ep with agoraphobic nosebleed

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

hexwren posted:

Did they really just write that article so they could say the names of bands they like to jack off to?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Early Minus the Bear was basically DL4 Worship: The Band and it's a shame they don't do that anymore and their last album was plain boring rock music and it loving sucked and lacked any creativity at all. Or hell, maybe they still do it, but the last album sure wasn't interesting at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLzAf0LhLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CwL3yb1pLY

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 21, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Weird BIAS posted:

Yeah. Cutting mids works in certain contexts and depends on the volume levels because of the fletcher Munson curve. Low volume cut mids sound great but as you turn up you’re missing a lot of information and end up having bass and treble too loud. It also depends on who is sitting in that frequency, vocals are a mid instrument end of story and if your guitar is in the way yeah cutting mids makes sense.

He was talking about boosted mids though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I've always hated the argument that music isn't good unless it's recorded by one band in one room in one take. Raw technical musical ability at both a personal and group level is fine and good, but at the end of the day, literally the only thing that matters with recorded music is what comes out of the speakers. Doesn't matter if it's done by the whole band at the same time in one take or in a million different takes in different places then all emailed to the producer and mixed together later. Who gives a poo poo. It's music. It is 100% aesthetic. If it sounds good, it is good.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 21, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm a concert hound, so I vastly prefer bands that can also deliver live.

Then again, I still listen to Fear Factory, so :lol:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

I've always hated the argument that music isn't good unless it's recorded by one band in one room in one take. Raw technical musical ability at both a personal and group level is fine and good, but at the end of the day, literally the only thing that matters with recorded music is what comes out of the speakers. Doesn't matter if it's done by the whole band at the same time in one take or in a million different takes in different places then all emailed to the producer and mixed together later. Who gives a poo poo. It's music. It is 100% aesthetic. If it sounds good, it is good.

nah he wasn't arguing against multitrack recording or anything. what he was getting at was specific to modern metal production where everyone basically uses the exact same gear and settings, drums replaced with samples, one take looped over and over to build arrangements, etc. a lot of modern metal might as well be written by an algorithm using guitar pro or sibelius or something

granted he's also slightly wrong about that as well as far as it being a present day thing. toiletovhell had an article the other day about the engineers at morrisound using a dos system and midi clock to calculate millisecond subdivisions on kick drums to punch them in manually because a lot of the early death metal drummers physically couldn't play their parts back then

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

GreatGreen posted:

Meshuggah actually recorded their latest album "live" in the studio with real amplifiers and miced drums. Of course it's still tight as gently caress because these guys are machines, but it was still pretty cool for the "godfathers" of Djent to flip off their imitators like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHYopyQTwHk

Thomas Haake is loving amazing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Back in my more punk rock days I sorta had that mindset, but when I started listening to some more adventurous stuff it wore off fairly quickly. There's just a lot of amazing and interesting music that is all but impossible to do live unless you're at least incorporating recordings from the studio into the live show.

It's always entertaining to see someone who has a ridiculous amount of technical skill pull of something amazing live, but honestly I'd prefer to listen to somebody do something innovative and/or passionate regardless of whether it requires any technical skill at all.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Anime Reference posted:

Crate made guitars?

I started on a Crate bass and look at me now!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Trig Discipline posted:

Back in my more punk rock days I sorta had that mindset, but when I started listening to some more adventurous stuff it wore off fairly quickly. There's just a lot of amazing and interesting music that is all but impossible to do live unless you're at least incorporating recordings from the studio into the live show.

It's always entertaining to see someone who has a ridiculous amount of technical skill pull of something amazing live, but honestly I'd prefer to listen to somebody do something innovative and/or passionate regardless of whether it requires any technical skill at all.

It’s not like he’s slagging Godflesh for using a drum machine. Or Neurosis for using synths. It’s the produced-within-an-inch-of-its-life drum trigger bullshit that predominates recordings that is boring. Also pig squeal vocals are hilarious.

edit:

Anime Reference posted:

I haven't watched the video but

lol

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 21, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I haven't watched the video because I have better things to do than watch some random youtube guy's 20-minute rant but from the comments it sounds like he's complaining about a pretty small subset of metal. A lot of the stuff that's out there now (especially the stuff that's actually popular) has a much more naturalistic sound than super-tight super-compressed technical djentcore.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's not that small a subset

he could've cut the video down to ten seconds by just saying gently caress andy sneap

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

gently caress andy sneap

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I commented on this guy's iron maiden video about how he could cut out 17 minutes of rambling and just show off the gear setup in order to make the video actually watchable. He got super mad and melted down at me for disparaging all the hard work he does in doing the research for the videos.

He really should shut the gently caress up, get off the camera, and just loving play the drat instruments.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is probably the most hilarious pedal demo I've ever seen *extreme guitar face* *noodles with a lovely, noisy pedal for a couple minutes*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgLMuMBBVl0

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
lmao a facebook group entitled 'circle of tone' is the last place i'd want to hang out

Honestly i don't know why bedroom chuds hold up the early entombed/dismember/grave etc albums as some sort of holy grail of tone considering basically any recent hm2 album has better production. poo poo isn't rocket science, dime the EQ on the thing, put a TS in front, into the fun channel of a 5150, mesa/orange cab, 57/421, done. Also get Kurt Ballou involved somehow. And get out of your fuckin bedroom.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hm2 is the universal warning sign for boring riffs ahead don't @ me

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The right thread for this post

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The only newer band doing the sound justice tbh is Harm’s Way aka the band fronted by super saiyan henry rollins

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:what:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

lmao a facebook group entitled 'circle of tone' is the last place i'd want to hang out

Honestly i don't know why bedroom chuds hold up the early entombed/dismember/grave etc albums as some sort of holy grail of tone considering basically any recent hm2 album has better production. poo poo isn't rocket science, dime the EQ on the thing, put a TS in front, into the fun channel of a 5150, mesa/orange cab, 57/421, done. Also get Kurt Ballou involved somehow. And get out of your fuckin bedroom.

relax it just sounds good and people like it. Kurt is cool and you seem very unchill. Welp ta-ta.

edit: speaking of Kurt, his CreativeLive seminar thing is pretty good and often hilarious:

https://www.creativelive.com/class/gear-gods-presents-studio-pass-kurt-ballou

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

I haven't watched the video because I have better things to do than watch some random youtube guy's 20-minute rant but from the comments it sounds like he's complaining about a pretty small subset of metal. A lot of the stuff that's out there now (especially the stuff that's actually popular) has a much more naturalistic sound than super-tight super-compressed technical djentcore.

it sounds like he's complaining about all those terrible nuclear blast and metal blade bands that do have fanbases somehow, even though no one seems to listen to them

Concatenation posted:

Honestly i don't know why bedroom chuds hold up the early entombed/dismember/grave etc albums as some sort of holy grail of tone

They sound like chainsaws which is bad rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

perfect guitar for the lessons presented, IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-oLZBmZsvI