Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

That painting is an affront to our sensibilities!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Chaos Butler will do it!

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
I am affronted by the very notion - good day to you sir!. (4)

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

:hellyeah:

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

We have a three-way tie between I'll do it, I'll do it but I'd need to ask permission, and Affronted by the very notion. Next new or changed vote takes it.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Permission

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Wonderful, wonderful!" Figs says. "That's the feudal spirit! I knew you had it in you! You won't regret this, Butler, not for a moment. Allow me to stow it with your luggage in the baggage car. It's the very least I can do. And you'll put it up on the wall right when you get there. Wonderful!"

"I must consult Mr. Wintermint on this matter before I do anything with it," you say. "I must be perfectly clear on that matter."

"I am very glad, very glad indeed," Figs says, not listening to you. He happily chatters away about Mopsie, as pleased as punch.

quote:

At long last, with a deafening metallic screech and the interminable ringing of bells, the train comes to a halt at Brooks Crossing, a small village immediately before your own stop. Here, the train will load and offload packages; in twenty minutes, quite promptly, it will depart again. Here, passengers are encouraged to stretch their legs, enjoy the well-known La Bonbonnière et Château du Café, an adorable café known for its currant scones.

The station also has a number of other boutiques, including the Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe, which Rory asked you to look into during your journey. It seems that Aunt Primrose had mentioned seeing and liking a particular peridot-adorned hairstick at this boutique, and Rory rang up Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe and asked them to hold one for him until you came by to pick it up, so that Rory would have the perfect birthday present to give her.

You have plenty of time to go in and purchase it, and you head towards the shop at once.

quote:

You enter Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe, eager to make your purchase of the peridot hairstick, already anticipating the joy it will bring Aunt Primrose, and the relief on Rory's face when he sees that you have managed to provide him with an acceptable gift for her this year.

Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe is a small boutique, with interesting, locally crafted, one-of-a-king jewelry; the store gives the impression of having about three times the amount of merchandise than ought to be able to fit within its dimensions. Shelves stand against every conceivable wall, and stop each other, while additional shelves hang from the ceiling; the store appears to specialize in highly fragile and unstable objects d'art that perch shakily on these shelves. You work your way, with held breath, past a display of fine crystal figurines of the Archangel Michael, with long wings and swords which extend well beyond the figures' center of gravity, and into the narrow aisle. Stepping lightly, you approach the counter.

The only customer in the store is an older gentleman, balding, with gray muttonchop sideburns, wearing a military officer's uniform, complete with tarnished gold-colored epaulettes, a swagger stick, and a number of colorful medals. One of the medals reads "Colonel Firesnuff, for Valour Beyond Measure."

He glances at you and mutters something about not being able to shop in peace without all and sundry coming in and clogging up the shop, and turns back to the salesclerk, an aggressively freckled young woman who gives off the distinct impression that she has just started working this job about five minutes ago.

"Let me see, let me see," he says to the salesclerk. "What do you recommend, girl? What would a woman with a certain brassy style want for her birthday?"

"We have some stained glass vases and some crystal bells with little jeweled clappers. And this lovely peridot hairstick."

"A peridot hairstick, you say?"

"Excuse me," you say.

"Yes, yes, this looks intriguing."

The salesclerk lays the hairstick on a velvet mat on the glass counter.

"Oh, I think this will do admirably," says Col. Firesnuff.

You peer over his shoulder. He is looking at what appears very much to be the one-of-a-king item that you requested via telephone to be held for you for Aunt Primrose.

I grab aggressively for the hairstick.
I tell Col. Firesnuff and the salesclerk that the hairstuck is on reserve for me.
I let Col. Firesnuff buy it and then attempt to pilfer it from him.
Col. Firesnuff got there first, so it's only fair to let him have it.

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 37%
Observe: 32%
Persuade: 42%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 34%/66%

Your Reputation
Renown: 7%
Tranquility: 12%
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 36%
Frankincense: 44%
Aunt Primrose: 21%
:siren:Col. Firesnuff: 23% :siren:

Ready Monies: 23

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 23, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tell them it's on reserve.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's on reserve. What kind of two bit operation are you jokers running selling things to two people?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Aggress! That is my goddamned hairstick.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Grab it. If he wants to fight us for it, bring it on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's on reserve.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Is this going to be our silver cow creamer?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
We have reserves.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
It is on reserve dammit! 2

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Be aggressive.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Being Aggressive is likely to end in a smashed china shop, me thinks. Also, word will get back to Primrose, since I bet that he's going to her party too.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

grab it - Colonels are too low-ranking to be really important but too high-ranking to fight well.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

Striking like a coiled cobra, if that is indeed the snake that coils and then strikes, you lunge for the hairstick.

You hope to obtain it by main force. You have the advantage of surprise, but he has the advantage of military training and a rather solid build. His combat reflexes clearly coming to the fore, he fends off your grasping hand with a sweeping motion.

Seeing this sort of determined resistance, you attempt to shoulder him out of the way and thrust your money upon the salesclerk; Col. Firesnuff isn't having it: he reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out a fistful of bills and pushes you away with his other hand.

The salesclerk looks nearly on the verge of quitting here in her first half hour on the job, but you have few tears to spare for her at the moment as you shove Col. Firesnuff, attempting to cause him to yield ground, but the combat shows no signs of being decided quickly.

You and Col. Firesnuff maneuver for position, the hairstick at times in your hand, and at other times in his, but without any decision blow being struck.

Finally, with a mighty effort, you grasp Col. Firesnuff's collar and wheel him about; at the same time, he grasps your arms and attempts to place you in a full nelson. Both of you lose your balance and go wheeling down the narrow aisle, directly into the case filled with the fine crystal figurines of the Archangel Michael.

quote:

They say that even people who chose not to exit the train at the station heard the crash and believed an electrical storm had begun. It does not strain credulity, as here at the epicenter, you found it positively deafening, a state of affairs only exacerbated by the screams of the salesclerk.

Shards of fine crystal cover most of the flat surfaces of the store, and you and Col. Firesnuff are forced to pony up a pretty significant amount of money in order to cover the damage. It is an amount that, while Rory's credit will bear the blow for the moment, will not make you popular on the home front when all is known.

"Most invigorating, I must say," says Col. Firesnuff, removing a little jag of glass from his scalp. "You can't sucker punch a seasoned warrior, oh no." Col. Firesnuff regards you with the eye of a man who happily anticipates revenge at some later date, salutes you, and marches away.

The punch line - if there is a punch line - is that you cannot find the hairstick, after all that. Perhaps it got trodden on, or destroyed in the scuffle.

Time being of the essence, you are finally forced to grab the nearest item, which turns out to be a needlepoint wall hanging that says "GOD BLESS THIS HOME" with an image of a baby angel on it.

quote:

"All aboard!" comes a cry from across the station, and you are shaken from your thoughts. You look up at the station clock, which you now realize must be slow, as your train is beginning to depart!

With an odd feeling of deja vu, you race across the station and onto the platform, but the doors are already closed, and the train is in motion.

"Wait!" you cry. "Wait!" but the train does not wait, and you run as quickly as you can towards the slowly retreating caboose, and then...

...I make a leap of faith.
...Figs peeks out of the rear door.
Col. Firesnuff throws open the rear door.
I have to stop, gasping for breath, crouched over, hands on my knees.

The strikethrough isn't showing up too clearly on my monitor, so just in case - I'm including the Col. Firesnuff option for completeness sake, but please note that it is greyed out and we can't actually select it.

Also, for the curious, this is the choice where the demo version of the game ends.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 16% (+9%)
Suspicion: 19% (+9%)

Rory: 33% (-3%)
Col. Firesnuff: 30% (+7%)

Ready Monies: 15 (-8)

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 23, 2018

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Wait a minute... You get relationship boost if you try to fight over the hairpiece??

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

I know it doesn't sound like it from the text, but yep, we got a relationship boost for trying to fight over the hairpiece. Can confirm from both my phone and the code. I think the intended takeaway is that he genuinely enjoyed our "invigorating" scrap.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Leap.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jump for it!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

rchandra posted:

grab it - Colonels are too low-ranking to be really important but too high-ranking to fight well.

I know of several Colonels from history and popular culture who would contradict this. Theodore Roosevelt comes to mind most easily, as does Frank Slade on the fictional front. Google ‘Colonel Badass’ for more examples. Firesnuff sounds like another one.

Jump for the train!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Figs throwing open the rear door sounds like a guaranteed success good-relationship option if there ever was one.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Faith. Maybe we get another chance to sneak into first?

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Figs, help us old buddy, old pal! (2)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Figs

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Pangurban posted:

I know it doesn't sound like it from the text, but yep, we got a relationship boost for trying to fight over the hairpiece. Can confirm from both my phone and the code. I think the intended takeaway is that he genuinely enjoyed our "invigorating" scrap.

i'd hoped that that would be the case, but i'm sad that we didn't get enough rep boost for him to open the door for us

we should become good friends with this guy, he's now our fighting buddy

also figs

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

We are tied between making a leap and having Figs open the door. Next new or changed vote takes it.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Figs should do one thing right, for once

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

So, something weird just happened.

The game updated today, and since the update said it was just for some typo fixes, I went ahead and downloaded it. I knew there were some bugs in the code, but it wasn't mentioned as a bugfix update. However, when I opened the game again, I found myself bumped back to the beginning of Chapter 2, with the same stats. So, just to try and ensure integrity, I went ahead and started over - I have a pretty good memory for what your guys' choices were, and I've copied the stat block enough that I know where Reg's stats should be at any given time, to ensure that I'm not zoning out and choosing wrong.

I just made the choice about grabbing for the hairstick again, but it looks like the stat barrier for that was lowered since the last update I downloaded, because this time we actually managed to get away clean. I swear to you guys that I have checked and rechecked what's currently displaying on my phone as our stats (Bold 54%, Culture 25%, Intellect 37%, Persuade 42%, Skullduggery 19%, Soothing/Abrasive 34%/66%) and what's here in the thread, and they are identical - except for, now, our Suspicion, Renown, Readies, and Col. Firesnuff relationship stats, since we now qualified for a full instead of a partial success.

What I'm saying here is that time and space rewrote themselves to give Reginald Butler a win. Allow me to take you back in time just a tick or so.

quote:

Striking like a coiled cobra, if that is indeed the snake that coils and then strikes, you lunge for the hairstick.

Although Col. Firesnuff is solidly built and has the advantage of military training, you have the advantage of surprise, and you wedge yourself between him and the counter, using your shoulder to shove him backwards.

You pick up the hairstick and start to place your money on the counter, but your hand - the hand with the hairstick - is seized in Col. Firesnuff's iron grasp.

Instinct kicks in. You distract him by poking him with the pin, and then, seizing the moment, you use the magic of leverage to roll him over your shoulder, and over the counter, where a very surprised salesclerk half catches him, half falls under him.

"I say now! That was most invigorating! Have at thee!" says Col. Firesnuff, trying to stand up by holding onto the counter, but knocking over a pile of invoices on top of him instead.

You quickly place the agreed-upon money on the counter, and then jog back towards the main station. Col. Firesnuff exits the store ready for a fight, looking for you, and you very carefully wait behind a large planter of flowers until he has boarded the train, so that you do not have another public altercation.

quote:

"All aboard!" comes a cry from across the station, and you are shaken from your thoughts. You look up at the station clock, which you now realize must be slow, as your train is beginning to depart!

With an odd feeling of deja vu, you race across the station and onto the platform, but the doors are already closed, and the train is in motion.

"Wait!" you cry. "Wait!" but the train does not wait, and you run as quickly as you can towards the slowly retreating caboose, and then...

...I make a leap of faith.
...Figs peeks out of the rear door.
Col. Firesnuff throws open the rear door.
I have to stop, gasping for breath, crouched over, hands on my knees.

Notably, we can now choose to have Firesnuff open the door for us. As such, I'll leave the vote open for a few more hours in case anyone wants to change theirs'.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 20% (+13%)
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 36%
Col. Firesnuff: 34% (+11%)

Ready Monies: 23

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 24, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

col firestuff seems like our sort of fellow

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
A good butler warps time and space. I should have known.
Changing vote to the Colonel

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Salute the Colonel when he opens the door!

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Let's put that patch to use. Colonel

That failure text for grabbing the pin is excellent and I'm glad we got to see it before the patch.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Our new bestie, Firesnuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Firesnuff!

• Locked thread