Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm not sure what the unfortunately means here. What more would you like to see happen to him? How much more discussion is there to be had about this incident? Ignoring the larger discussions about attitudes toward sex.

He was publically shamed. His brand was damaged.

But he didn't commit a crime. So... what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Someone doesn't have to break the law to have done lovely and traumatizing behavior and just because someone is a lovely person doesn't mean that we automatically have to blackball them from an industry or stop enjoying previous work that included them. Do it if that person's involvement makes you uncomfortable, but you aren't automatically supporting that person's behavior if you aren't going to boycott. Metoo isn't about blacklisting and marginalizing individuals anyways, it's about giving women a voice so they can support other women in standing up to behavior that shouldn't be accepted in 2018.

The victim blaming is horrific and it is coming from their own insecurity about wanting to still like the public face and work of Aziz while not looking like they are supporting the behavior. That's something we're going to have to figure out how we get past. It's ok to still like Parks and Rec AND think that Aziz did a terrible thing to that woman and likely other women too. It's thinking like that which kept stories like these silent for so long.

Above all else though, practice what you loving preach. Don't don a metoo button if you made your date cry a few months ago pressuring her into having sex. Don't write a book about what dating in the 20th century should look like if you aren't doing it yourself.

It's irrelevant whether or not Aziz was too clueless and misread the situation or that the woman was free to leave at any time. It wasn't a healthy encounter either way and if the story helps another woman leave a situation before it gets to that point or causes a man to think twice about how he's reading a situation, it's worthwhile. It doesn't have anything at all to do with Aziz's loving career.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not sure what the unfortunately means here. What more would you like to see happen to him? How much more discussion is there to be had about this incident? Ignoring the larger discussions about attitudes toward sex.

I think the problem is that so far he hasn't made any attempts to revisit the event from the girl's perspective or to review his attitudes towards sex and consent which indicates he's just keep doing the same thing he did to her.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly? I don't know. I feel like it's a little easy to lose sight of the idea that what happened to "Grace" loving sucks, and shouldn't be on her at all despite what some would insist. I have a friend who...doesn't talk much about it, but seems to have been in a similar position to her, and it hosed her up a bit. And the conversation around Aziz apparently reopened a few of those wounds. I don't want to be part of that problem, and I might overcorrect in an effort not to be.

Here’s a more recent take from Jezebel that gets a little further into the conversation I want to see come out of this.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The end of the shield always make me depressed, what a gut punch this show is
I always find weird how it wasnt more of a deal

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Just watched Letterman and Obama. It's okay. He's as great a speaker as ever but he's words ring kind of hollow when you look at his record. I didn't expect Letterman to ask him anything too interesting but it's a shame Obama doesn't seem self critical at all.

He also says some real moderate nonsense at times that comes across as someone still more concerned with political appearances than the reality we now live in.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Just watched Letterman and Obama. It's okay. He's as great a speaker as ever but he's words ring kind of hollow when you look at his record. I didn't expect Letterman to ask him anything too interesting but it's a shame Obama doesn't seem self critical at all.

He also says some real moderate nonsense at times that comes across as someone still more concerned with political appearances than the reality we now live in.
Obama is and always was a third way pushover. We projected our progressive hopes onto him.

We are all to blame.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

Obama is and always was a third way pushover. We projected our progressive hopes onto him.

yup. he was still a good president though, all things considered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Handsome motherfucker too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
honestly it's best to think of POTUS as more like the Monarch of England than not. while Trump (and others) have certainly given us painful reminders that POTUS does have legitimate power, what's more important to the world stage is just being a good statesman and Obama was very much that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AND HANDSOME.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

But is he Justin Trudeau handsome???? I THINK NOT

trudeau looks like a tiny lee pace and I want to have a steamy straight affair with him

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Come watch the SAG Awards with me! Kristin Bell is hosting, she's great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I hate to ask, but are there any rape scenes? That would be really triggering for my wife, so I'd rather know they're coming to be able to warn her.

From what I remember: skip the MMA fighter episode and the episode with Hood's prison flashbacks (and the latter MIGHT be okay given no actual rape happens and dick-biting happens instead). Otherwise, you're clear.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

From what I remember: skip the MMA fighter episode and the episode with Hood's prison flashbacks (and the latter MIGHT be okay given no actual rape happens and dick-biting happens instead). Otherwise, you're clear.

I would skip ahead on the MMA fighter one to the actual fight, because Christ what a fight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh my God the Fresh Prince skit on the latest SNL, perfect

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

nate fisher posted:

I would skip ahead on the MMA fighter one to the actual fight, because Christ what a fight.

Actually, I'm just gonna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRPaucl8r4

By the way, that is NOTHING compared to some of the poo poo they do in Season 3.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 22, 2018

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I'm watching The Resident and someone finally didn't shock a flat lining patient. Not sure if the show has legs, I'd need to see jerk resident with the heart of gold get fleshed out a bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Josh Lyman posted:

Has the storm passed for Aziz Ansari? I feel like this thread was ready to crucify him a week ago.

He's on the permanent poo poo list along with all the other fuckers but there isn't much more to say than that.

PriorMarcus posted:

You can do a lot of unforgivable things without committing a crime, just saying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aziz Ansari is going to be miserably single for a very long time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I'm watching The Resident and someone finally didn't shock a flat lining patient. Not sure if the show has legs, I'd need to see jerk resident with the heart of gold get fleshed out a bit.

That show was so bad. So so bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are there any new shows debuting shortly that don't look like total horseshit? AP Bio is the only thing standing out for me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

Are there any new shows debuting shortly that don't look like total horseshit? AP Bio is the only thing standing out for me.

the new season of American Crime Story

i mean it debuted a few days ago but that's close enough to count for you question i think

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

DRAMAS:

The Alienist, American Crime Story, Counterpart, WACO

COMEDIES:

Alone Together, Corporate, High Maintenance, Baskets

*not technically new shows, but low flying enough that you might not have seen them.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Baskets S2 was insanely brilliant and I have super high hopes for where they decided to go with S3. Gonna be a hell of a ride I think.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Holy poo poo.

We watched the first two episodes of Banshee on Amazon Prime last night.

Holy. poo poo.

It reminds me a lot of Justified (which we both love), but more "extreme"... in a good way.

Does the quality stay this good?

It looks like only the first two seasons are available for free streaming, which is unfortunate.

Gets better every season, until the last. But that wasn't an acting problem. It was a had tax credit issues and had to move state, and Starz stopped giving a gently caress.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 22, 2018

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Finished season 2 of Starz/BBC's The Missing. The Webster dad dying hit me like a ton of bricks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-CUJxIQkpA

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
good movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oh my god that's amazing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

Aziz Ansari is going to be miserably single for a very long time.

Eh, I doubt it. Even convicted rapists can find dates.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Honestly? I don't know. I feel like it's a little easy to lose sight of the idea that what happened to "Grace" loving sucks, and shouldn't be on her at all despite what some would insist. I have a friend who...doesn't talk much about it, but seems to have been in a similar position to her, and it hosed her up a bit. And the conversation around Aziz apparently reopened a few of those wounds. I don't want to be part of that problem, and I might overcorrect in an effort not to be.

Here’s a more recent take from Jezebel that gets a little further into the conversation I want to see come out of this.

What complete shuts down all the arguments I see (a lot from women) that this was just a bad date and blargh blargh for me is that he built this whole brand around being the opposite of the account in that article, even wrote a book about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

My wife asked me to DVR this just because she was hoping for some accuracy in a medical show. She probably feels the same watching any movie/tv show with anyone in the hospital that I do the moment anyone opens a laptop. She needs a medical Mr. Robot.

I think LL might’ve been a little overhyped, but I did really digged the ‘Oceans 11 but with NASCAR people’ angle it did. Can see why Soderbergh did it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Logan Lucky is one of the best films of 2017, I've watched it twice today (once alone, once with wife)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Early reviews of Altered Carbon are out and it sounds like the general consensus is that it's great, if perhaps lacking a bit of substance at times and having some wonky pacing. Book fans seem positive about it as an adaptation as well, despite the changes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have yet to see the Netflix show that critics didn’t bitch about the pacing. I wonder how much of it is from the requirement that they have to watch the show as fast as possible to get the reviews out. Making something work saps the enjoyment out of it

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I have yet to see the Netflix show that critics didn’t bitch about the pacing. I wonder how much of it is from the requirement that they have to watch the show as fast as possible to get the reviews out. Making something work saps the enjoyment out of it

Don't reviewers usually only get the first few episodes of their shows?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They got 6/10 episodes for Altered Carbon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

I think it's just a basic symptom of the binge watching era. You u sit and watch the same thing for days on end and eventually you just naturally get kind of tired of it but you keep watching through to the end. It's part of why I always binge a couple of shows (and usually shows with different tones) at the same time so I can switch back and forth when my mood changes or I've had enough of one. Plus I watch sports and news and other stuff. But I think reviewers and a lot of fans just go 100% into binging these shows when they come out and that contributes to the constant "pacing" or "it was too long" criticisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really I've never had an issue with pacing on any of Netflix' shows besides some of the later seasons of House of Cards. I thought Defenders' and Jessica Jones' pacing were totally fine, though I do tend to watch dramas over a three-four day period.