Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Old phos is gone.

manga spoiler: also is phos turning human or what

This is a more distinct possibility given the Buddhist themes: Phos is obtaining enlightenment.

http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com/en/index.php/Seven_kinds_of_treasures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
it's just on a re-read phos' coating not washing off and sensei suddenly being pliant and answering every question point in that direction. spooky

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/mugikonoo/status/954618090351767552

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh great are there OCs donut steal already

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Xun posted:

they're symphogear characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

There are also people making gem OCs, and get this: that's good. that's fun. im glad this manga has a captivating enough setting and world that people want to explore it while flexing their creative muscles

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm gonna draw my gem OC because I like designing and having fun gently caress yeah :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

let's all post about our gem OCs. mine would be Realgar. if they're exposed to light for too long they turn into powder, so they have to stay indoors and wear a hoodie red beryl made for them, along with long pants. They really like the jellyfish, but they're toxic to living things, so their main job is disposing of ones that have started to lose their light and keeping track of when they need new ones. i would draw realgar, but im a terrible artist. regardless, i hope they have impacted you profoundly.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

At least the Steven universe fan artists will finally have a good and consistently drawn show to draw gay rocks of that are actually loving rocks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Could I get Diamond performing as an idol please?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

I want to know how ruby, sapphire and opal looks like

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I finished the anime and I'm halfway done reading the manga.

As for OC talk, I'm looking through which gemstone I like and here's some cool looking gems that I might try to whip a sketch out of or two.

http://www.minerals.net/gemstone/ametrine_gemstone.aspx
http://www.minerals.net/gemstone/iolite_gemstone.aspx
http://www.minerals.net/gemstone/chalcedony_gemstone.aspx

I bet this website gets a lot of traffic and the people behind it are just, "Ah, those cartoon/anime fans..."

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

:bisonyes:

All this needs now is gem-Kanade breaking apart like Antarticite.

Also, screw you, Steven Universe is good

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
gross
https://wonderworlds.org/mineral/cummintonite.htm

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

let's all post about our gem OCs. mine would be Realgar. if they're exposed to light for too long they turn into powder, so they have to stay indoors and wear a hoodie red beryl made for them, along with long pants. They really like the jellyfish, but they're toxic to living things, so their main job is disposing of ones that have started to lose their light and keeping track of when they need new ones. i would draw realgar, but im a terrible artist. regardless, i hope they have impacted you profoundly.

im not a good artist either but i wanted to try, hope i didn't mangle them too much

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wouldn't a determination to fist be dangerous for a gem?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wouldn't a determination to fist be dangerous for a gem?

Depends on hardness, natch.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

Depends on hardness, natch.

What gem would Hibiki be?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

What gem would Hibiki be?

Pyrite.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

im not a good artist either but i wanted to try, hope i didn't mangle them too much

Lol that rules, thank you

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The artbook had couple of unseen gem designs

Chrysoberyl, Topaz, Blue Zoisite in order

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they're the best designs so ichikawa had to hide them away

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
the one on the right looks too much like Antarc, IMO

i still want them in the story, the more cool gem people the better

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

Lol that rules, thank you

glad u like

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
as of the end of the anime, have we seen all of the 28 alive (now 27) gems mentioned in episode 1 yet?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

RottenK posted:

the one on the right looks too much like Antarc, IMO

i still want them in the story, the more cool gem people the better

I think it was mentioned that the first two were already captured. Dunno about the third.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Homura and Sickle posted:

as of the end of the anime, have we seen all of the 28 alive (now 27) gems mentioned in episode 1 yet?

no

ah well i guess if you count that one group shot as having seen, yes

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i still want to know if Phos's inclusions accepting an alloy means that theoretically a gem(???) person's body could form fully made out of metal

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRkAo63hyQ

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RottenK posted:

i still want to know if Phos's inclusions accepting an alloy means that theoretically a gem(???) person's body could form fully made out of metal

We don't even really know how it all works besides them essentially being propelled by microorganisms (I'd interpret that as nanites) and how they convert energy from sunlight. Assuming they're solar powered nanobots, being completely made of metal wouldn't allow the light to pass through to energize them, though depending on the metal, they'd be able to energize through other means.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Other than Phos's inclusions, whatever those are in the context of this anime, was there ever an explanation why Phos seems to be the only gem to (successfully) walk around with a bunch of weird prosthetics? Cause if that happened twice to her in one year, I wonder how gems like Yellow Diamond walk around after thousands of years with no apparent damage.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Phos is that much of a fuckup apparently.

Yellow Diamond has also higher durability and hardness and although I don't doubt they've gotten broken or shattered at some point over 3K+ years, I guess we could just say it was easier to recover their parts compared to Phos who loses limbs without any chance of recovery.

Also Yellow is fast

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Fair enough. She does seem to be the only one who questions authority enough to be in positions where part, but not all, of her can be lost, I was just checking if an explanation was ever given beyond that.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i haven't read the manga but i think part of the point of the story is lunarian attacks have been escalating in scope and complexity recently, probably driven by phos getting a bug up their rear end about trying to be useful finally and being extremely desirable to the lunarians, and repeatedly going to some of the most dangerous areas for their appearances

and some of the hazards that have destroyed phos's limbs are because of uniquely phos risks, none of the other gems just wander off into the ocean or are awake during winter to get their arms eaten by ice floes

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Inclusions are Medichlorians.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Fair enough. She does seem to be the only one who questions authority enough to be in positions where part, but not all, of her can be lost, I was just checking if an explanation was ever given beyond that.

Yeah. Phos is EXTREMELY unique (as is appropriate for the main character) and the manga pushes that uniqueness even further. If the Seven Elements of Buddhism theory is true, then Phos is just missing one more element: Carmelian. After that, it's anyone's guess but presumably some allegory for enlightenment somewhere.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah. Phos is EXTREMELY unique (as is appropriate for the main character) and the manga pushes that uniqueness even further. If the Seven Elements of Buddhism theory is true, then Phos is just missing one more element: Carmelian. After that, it's anyone's guess but presumably some allegory for enlightenment somewhere.

funfact padparadscha comes from a derived word referring to lotuses which can represent the purity of humans in buddhism

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

that is a fun fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Inclusions are Medichlorians.

gently caress me its true

• Locked thread