Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Stickarts posted:

The NDP are having their leadership campaign in Saskatchewan right now. So here's your update I guess. Election is in early March.

Just two guys - 1. Ryan Meili - a soft-but-well-spoken, bilingual, urbane, doctor who worked in Saskatoon's inner city prior to getting into the leg in a by-election a while back and 2. Trent Wotherspoon, a more old-school handshaker and baby kisser with decent charisma who a 3-term (I think) MLA from Regina who was a teacher before that. Both have been very involved in their respective communities, though Wotherspoon has a broader range of experience and effort.

Meili's keystone campaign promise is bringing in pharmacare, paired with the province starting to produce its own generic drugs for provincial use and trade.

Wotherspoon is campaigning for more typical left causes - $15 a day childcare and $15 minimum wage, as well as universal mental health care.

The rest of their platforms are effectively the same - rolling back anti-union legislation the Sask Party has brought in, re-building STC, raising corporate taxes/upper-level income, increased education, banning corporate/union donations and tightening up SK's notoriously lax politic contribution laws. yadda yadda.

Meili has a lot of support from first-timer voters in the form of youth and our Indigenous population. Huge numbers of new members and is campaigning without accepting corporate/union donations. (More total donations than the entire Sask Party leadership race campaign combined. Sask Party is also electing a new leader right now.)

Wotherspoon has spent a decade plus building ground game in all corners of the province, including in your millenial social issues and the maybe more old-school leftist demographics - unions, farmers, trades, etc. He's also frankly a better public speaker, though I waver on how much that matters as a premier.

I'm torn if you go for maybe someone with "bigger" ideas/ideals (Meili) but not the experience or charisma or do you go with the stronger politician with a decade more ground game behind him.

I also have concerns that Meili might get painted as an arrogant elitist in any election. Not that I think he earns it, but I just... rural Saskatchewan might not connect with a bilingual doctor who dines with Saskatoon's elites. But then, I don't think an NDP path to victory has to rely on rural seats.

I held my nose and joined the NDP for the first time so I can get in on this election, but I can't make up my mind. I honestly actually like them both - more than any previous leadership candidates the NDP has had (including these two cats in previous incarnations) since we wandered into the desert post Romanow/Calvert. Seriously... loving Lingenfelter? The NDP has a pretty big groundswell of support building behind it presently and I am optimistic for the first time in a decade. I might do some door-knocking this time around. I am glad to see actual lefty "big ideas" being pursued.

Too bad the next election is still like 3 years away.

e. Both leaders are a bit too comfortable with oil and pipelines, but I guess that's the devil of SK politicking. Lip service to building renewable options, but I get the sense no one wants to ruffle any feathers in the oil patch. I would love to see more aggressive energy policy, or like a 10 year transition plan but... it is what it is I guess.

But which one is more anti farming/ rurals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Tough call. If you’re looking to truly find the rural final solution, the Saskatchewan Party leadership race is happening right now. Their commitment to gutting social services and shuttering public infrastructure will bleed rurals dry much more effectively than the dippers could ever hope to. And if you ran for politics, they’d vote for you while you do it!

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

heeheex2 posted:

when are they gonna legalize lsd and shrooms man

e: mmmaaaaaaann

you can legally buy shroom spores online :shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

We regret the incident where our members threatened a Sikh man with violence because he wouldn't remove his patka as a condition to enter the saddest pub in town, but don't worry. We're gonna retrain them.

(to better hide their racism)

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Talking about SK poltics reminds me is it really such a big deal that Brad Wall is practically banning Alberta workers from working on SK provincial projects, or is it just political smokescreen to hide his skeletons in the closet?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

We regret the incident where our members threatened a Sikh man with violence because he wouldn't remove his patka as a condition to enter the saddest pub in town, but don't worry. We're gonna retrain them.

Didnt you hear? We defeated racism in Canada. This is just boys being boys.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I just want weed legalized so schizophrenics stop asking me for a loving prescription.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
why don't we just give schizo junkies free pcp

therapeutic pcp

you konw , microdoses

for therapy

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/cra-scam-text-email-phone-fraud-1.4494757

quote:

A St. John's woman who fell for a scam by someone claiming to be from the Canada Revenue Agency is warning others not to let the same thing happen to them.

Just hours after checking the CRA website to see if her HST rebate was available, university student Becky McHugh got a text message on her cellphone notifying her that an "investigation" had been started.

"They kind of make you panic. They're like, 'there's an investigation started into your account,' and you kind of jump a little bit. That's how they get you."

McHugh clicked on the link in the text message, which took her to a website where she started filling in a form with personal information.

quote:

Police say, 'Don't call us'
Earlier this month, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary issued a press release to ask people not to call them unless there's been a financial loss.

RNC in Corner Brook say they've had a high number of calls lately about the CRA scam, and they're asking people to call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre instead.

lol :matters:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

namaste friends posted:

why don't we just give schizo junkies free pcp

therapeutic pcp

you konw , microdoses

for therapy

Microdosing pcp... u been reading the drugs.txt thread bro ??

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lol if you are not under investigation already

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not sure what they expected the cops to do.

I got a text that said to do something stupid!

Uhh.... okay? And that's different from your land line how

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yah cops shouldn't be expected to do anything you capitalist monsters

What is their job anyways

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

namaste friends posted:

Hassle people who don't look right, raise money for their own charity by playing hockey vs. the fire department.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Noble causes for our good old boys. I knew are cops are a benevolent force for good when the are not waging the war on harmless drugs

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
http://www.macleans.ca/society/how-to-cook-with-cannabis-and-not-bake-your-dinner-guests/

How to cook with cannabis and not bake your dinner guests

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

i just read your post and knew someone with a sleeve tattoo would feature somewhere in this article

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

namaste friends posted:

What do you propose the cops do about an idiot getting a text message?

Wanna call the tac team every time someone gets asked about duct cleaning?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste friends posted:

i just read your post and knew someone with a sleeve tattoo would feature somewhere in this article

Way to judge people before you hear they work at the microbrewery ugh what kind of monster are you

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
nothing oc

canada police are hard at work purging our glorious country of muslim terrorists so they're too busy to do anything else

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
oh wai you work in ~infosec~ so you probably have an intimate undrestanding of what's required to repel social engineers and

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

namaste friends posted:

nothing oc

canada police are hard at work purging our glorious country of muslim terrorists so they're too busy to do anything else

Well so much work goes into creating them it seems a shame not to use them.

Also I'm surprised at you CI, I'd figure "ex cop" would be inside a blink tag or something. Do excel sheets allow blink tags?

Can you make my row Comic Sans?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i use outlook for work

triggered yet bitch

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:fap: aw yeah i'm almost there

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

gently caress ~journalism~

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

lol

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
you're really kicking up your game here with these nicely put together images :golfclap:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

nooo don't dox Frank

(love you Frank)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Well so much work goes into creating them it seems a shame not to use them.

Also I'm surprised at you CI, I'd figure "ex cop" would be inside a blink tag or something. Do excel sheets allow blink tags?

Can you make my row Comic Sans?

Weren't you an MP or something? How has his brain not exploded just knowing that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jodie and Marc Emery: the Wonder Years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

Doug and Michelle work in the cannabis industry. They expressed they have had some run ins with the law, as they are not in the monopoly of LPs.

Oh word?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Yeah I don't know a button that DOESN'T push, really. You've got the whole range of diaper-related humour, and that dovetails nicely into warcraft chat.

Low-hanging fruit
:agreed: That is art.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

Weren't you an MP or something? How has his brain not exploded just knowing that?

Hahahaha thank u for it service

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So seriously what's the deal with swagger/melian

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

No negative side effects!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

I think I missed this, what incident is this a reference to?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

I think I missed this, what incident is this a reference to?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-tignish-legion-apologizes-for-turban-removal-request-1.4494665

"It's the law"

Fuckwits

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JFC.

"In our defense, we're just dumb as gently caress and, as god is my witness, have never before seen a turban"

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

The Butcher posted:

nooo don't dox Frank

(love you Frank)

Haha, I actually know those two, I've met them at a few charity events etc. They're harmless and nice.

It's actually kind of a shame that thousands of people like them are set to become unemployed as a result of all of this corporate bullshit and union handouts we're larding onto the distribution system. They could easily save the taxpayer a bundle of money *and* collect more revenues by virtualizing the distribution branch functions so that small businesses can realistically participate, but instead we're going to get something that makes the liquor distribution system look nimble as a gazelle.

I'm making a shitload of money either way, but I definitely wish things were evolving differently tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I take it you've seen the Ontario plans too. I don't think there was ever a chance of opening distribution to "small business", but I'm surprised that Shoppers Drug Mart and others were shut out. They put some money into lobbying for medicinal distribution.

I'm curious to see if they go ahead with prosecuting trafficking charges against all the retail employees of shops they've busted here in Toronto in the last year or so.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 22, 2018