Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Leal posted:

Does this mean I'm not gay for liking it?

No Homo.

Don't worry, man. It's like Weezer once said: Everybody's a little queer.

EDIT: Ah cripes, I started a new page. Uh...

Here's a mod someone linked in another thread: MEHEM — The Mass Effect 3 Happy Ending Mod.

I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet, so I'm curious about what this mod is like.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Not just girls with freaking enormous dicks. Girls with freaking enormous dicks who still also have vaginas.

Not gonna lie. Wasn't able to sit through the first futanari long enough to notice...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

"professional voice actor"

(Let this post stand for all the discussion of it after)

People like this are why I avoid visiting the Modders Only forums on the Nexus. Seriously, I cannot stomach these people's masturbatory self-involvement. It's like there was a subculture where it was perfectly acceptable to pick your nose in public and wipe it on whatever. I get the same lip-curling disgust reaction reading some of their drivel. There's another thread in there complaining about how Bethesda won't respect the Nexus ideas about mod ownership and take down :airquote:stolen:airquote: mods. It's loving insane.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

:nexus: It's just a Transfer Settlements blueprint. Why are you looking at me like that?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The modding equivalent of horny on main.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lmao them ladies got back problems

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Huh, just looks like something that adds a thing. I don't see the big deal. These first couple of pictures don't look too ba-

:gonk:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bieeardo posted:

There are countless forums that have lifted SA's emote sets, down to the absurdly in-jokey ones. I wouldn't be surprised.

fwiw the facepunch forums at least have a "smilies we ripped off from SA" category, so they're up front about it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A fukken loonie posted:

My Oblivion mods will stay up, be continued and supported. But every single one being featured in a review without me being asked beforehand will immediately be taken down and never come back up. Do not risk your last chances and bloody ask me first, thank you very much. Disrespect will no longer be rewarded, but fought until the death. I will make it abundantly clear why it was done when it happens and who people have to thank for it. Those knowing me will understand, those who don't, I couldn't care less about.

I do say this sounds like the inspiration for a goon project. Anyone know his Nexus username?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Please link to his profile so I can make a youtube video reviewing every single one of his mods and release it to my 13 followers

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Memento posted:

Please link to his profile so I can make a youtube video reviewing every single one of his mods and release it to my 13 followers

What's your channel? I will jump in for a piece of that action! :goonrush:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I was thinking of doing intentionally-missing-the-point reviews. Like, installing one mod and then criticizing it for stuff that has nothing to do with that mod.

"I installed this house mod, but the vampirism cure quest is still broken!"

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I think it's a real big stretch to say these people are against it because some people make money off it. I am more willing to see it as creators being butthurt from criticism in a sphere they cannot control. Reviews are basically removing the emperor's new clothes, and they cant have that.

For example, Grimy, a criminally underrated mod author made a written review pointing out how useless and misleading the mod and description of Duel Combat realism was here:

https://sites.google.com/site/grimyskyrim/mod-critiques/duel

He almost got banned from the Nexus for writing that. I opened up the new version of DUEL: Combat Realism in Tes5edit to see if the issues were fixed, they were not. So the dude is basically bragging about it being in VERSION 8.0 despite being a mod that makes blocking worse if you select a certain perk.

Midig fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 21, 2018

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I've seen this before, but it's actually really awesome, and for some reason my brains feels extremely satisfied with the increased field of view. Like it somehow feels more correct despite it obviously not being that.

The other increased FoV projection I could actually see being fun to try in a game, probably not the full 360 degree view though, it gets a bit much to handle if things get busy on the screen.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Midig posted:

For example, Grimy, a criminally underrated mod author made a written review pointing out how useless and misleading the mod and description of Duel Combat realism was here:
https://sites.google.com/site/grimyskyrim/mod-critiques/duel
The Duel meltdown is still my favorite bit of modding drama.
He changed Duel's description to be multiple pages of insane rambling like

An insane person posted:

Beyond the abstract layer of some numbers, there is a world of interaction where the Feedback form a whole that is greater than all the elements that compose it.
Although in a unitary manner the components of this mod does not seem to do anything, the fact is that the user experience is there and proves, at least, that some reviewer have still much to learn before they understand what actually made this mod.
Also he took one of his compiled scripts, ran it through the CK's decompiler, opened the result in MS Word and took a screenshot of that. He posted that screenshot claiming it proved his scripts did what he claimed (this instead of posting his actual source code) when that bit of code was just declaring some variables and nothing more.

Also that drama really highlighted how screwed up things have gotten with regards to taking criticism. Grimy was first accused of being a liar and having a secret agenda to destroy all modding forever with his nefarious claims. If you then sat those people down and proved point by point that everyone one of Grimy's claims about Duel was objectively true, they'd still be "It was hurtful and mean and therefore and filthy lie!"
I feel like if that stuff had happened today, those same people would be yelling "fake news" instead.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Raygereio posted:

Also that drama really highlighted how screwed up things have gotten with regards to taking criticism. Grimy was first accused of being a liar and having a secret agenda to destroy all modding forever with his nefarious claims. If you then sat those people down and proved point by point that everyone one of Grimy's claims about Duel was objectively true, they'd still be "It was hurtful and mean and therefore and filthy lie!"
I feel like if that stuff had happened today, those same people would be yelling "fake news" instead.

A lot of people seem to think both "I don't care what anyone says about my mods" and "nobody should be able to criticize my mods."

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Raygereio posted:

If you then sat those people down and proved point by point that everyone one of Grimy's claims about Duel was objectively true, they'd still be "It was hurtful and mean and therefore and filthy lie!"
Arthmoor is a Trump supporter, so he probably yells "fake news" https://www.iguanadons.net/Red-Shift-540.html

I wonder if the modding scene breeds this kind of attitudes or whether these people have some genuine personality disorder.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Two things I forgot to mention:

1. During an older debate about an offsite Mod-review (modpicker) site, people on the modders-only board were saying, in all seriousness, that they should be able to shut down any conversation about their mods that they didn't like, anywhere. (If you have access to the modder-only forums, it's around here.)
  2. The person who I mentioned earlier who was bitching about bethesda not taking down :airquote:stolen:airquote: copies of their mods was bitching because Bethesda did take down the Catwoman suit they had made, for copyright reasons. Yes Bethesda takes copyright claims seriously when the claimant has a leg to stand on.

Dwesa posted:

Arthmoor is a Trump supporter, so he probably yells "fake news" https://www.iguanadons.net/Red-Shift-540.html

I forget who said it, or in what thread, but the most disappointing thing about Arthmoor's right-wingery is that he's so drat unoriginal about it. No crackpot theories, no lizard people, just plain unbuttered Fox News talking points.

Dwesa posted:

I wonder if the modding scene breeds this kind of attitudes or whether these people have some genuine personality disorder.

I honestly think it's a heady mix of both. The hobby is a fairly solitary one, and it seems fairly transparent that for many modders, it's literally the only validation they ever get from anything in their lives. Add in a large heaping of the Geek Social Fallacies and you've got your recipe for an ideologically-inbred hugbox. I'd love to get Prester Jane's opinion on these assholes someday, but she's busy as it is.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 21, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Agents are GO! posted:

I honestly think it's a heady mix of both. The hobby is a fairly solitary one, and it seems fairly transparent that for many modders, it's literally the only validation they ever get from anything in their lives. Add in a large heaping of the Geek Social Fallacies and you've got your recipe for an ideologically-inbred hugbox. I'd love to get Prester Jane's opinion on these assholes someday, but she's busy as it is.

From my experience, it's more just a reflection of general creative/artistic communities. Modders invest a lot of time and effort into their work because they care about what they do, and particularly care for the particular spark of creativity that fuels their work and they regard as uniquely theirs. It's really no different from any other creative community - music, painting, photography, etc. Egos and socially dysfunctional people are common in such groups, and while the purely online basis of modding communities probably exacerbates it a bit more than your local community theater or library during nanowrimo, I think it's at most a difference of degree rather than of kind.

I was an active modder in the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights communities for a long time, and it was extremely common for even the most well-adjusted people to be a bit defensive about their work. Understandably so, in my opinion, given the amount of work that went into them. The majority were socially functional and indeed normal people. There were outliers, of course, but I think the impression we get in this thread is a bit lopsided because we don't discuss the vast majority of mods but rather the extremely weird and bad ones - which tend to be produced by the weirdest and worst modders.

That being said, on an anecdotal level the most technically proficient modders in the BG/NWN community also tended to be among the most personally dysfunctional and prone to bizarre interactions with the rest of the community. I know one modder who was outright hired by Beamdog to work professionally on the EE games, and he was both one of the most technically skilled modders to be had and one of the most laid-back and personable modders in the entire community. Likewise I know two people who met through the modding community and got married, and they're both normal people who simply share geeky interests.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

Without empty quoting: this. You see it in other creative pursuits sometimes, but the kind of personality that dives into a rabbit-hole of code, and the Nexus basically being the be-all of modding discussion and distribution, turns it up several Notches.

It really doesn't help that even supportive criticism can loving sting when you're not used to receiving it.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 21, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's nothing wrong with defending something that's important to you- illogical or not, it's just a human thing to do. Every single person on this planet defends something they already know is indefensible*. If modding is the most important thing in their entire lives then so be it, good on them for finding something they truly enjoy. The problem arises when you have a lack of perspective to go with your defense, which most of these crazy mod people do. Modding is the most important thing to them, but in a lot of their eyes that is equated to modding being the most important thing, because they don't have enough perspective to look outside themselves and their environment and see that there are other people that care about other things, if that makes sense.

* - which doesn't have to be a big huge chunk of your daily lifestyle or anything like that

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 21, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

...turns it up several Notches.

I see what you did there. :golfclap:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Can we make a new unit of measurement of how cringey and awful someone is called the Notch?

"poo poo HE'S MAKING AN MLP FETISH DUNGEON IN STARDEW VALLEY HE'S MEASURING IN AT 8 NOTCHES"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

First we have to decided the native Notch-level of the game, then adjust accordingly.

Could the plural please be Notchi?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bieeardo posted:

Without empty quoting: this. You see it in other creative pursuits sometimes, but the kind of personality that dives into a rabbit-hole of code, and the Nexus basically being the be-all of modding discussion and distribution, turns it up several Notches.

It really doesn't help that even supportive criticism can loving sting when you're not used to receiving it.

The Nexus is only the main modding community for Bethesda Game Studios and maybe a few other titles. The most stupid mod drama that I've seen outside of TES/Fallout comes from Radious, who has made a mod named after himself for every Total War game released in the past decade and appears to be some level of mentally ill. I've actually seen things like authors of giant overhauls releasing parts of their mods as stand alone versions, or creating compatibility patches for other giant mods. It never ceases to amaze me.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Can we make a new unit of measurement of how cringey and awful someone is called the Notch?

"poo poo HE'S MAKING AN MLP FETISH DUNGEON IN STARDEW VALLEY HE'S MEASURING IN AT 8 NOTCHES"

*crushes scouter*

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001
I watched those DOOM mod videos and this was one of the related videos and I think I'll let it speak for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DCsMvj_tXc

Edit: I read the ZDoom forum's thread for this mod and this is a powerful changelog entry:

quote:

-Tailor girl can now file for divorce

GeekTheMage fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 21, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

The Nexus is only the main modding community for Bethesda Game Studios and maybe a few other titles. The most stupid mod drama that I've seen outside of TES/Fallout comes from Radious, who has made a mod named after himself for every Total War game released in the past decade and appears to be some level of mentally ill.

Point, very good point. There's that loon Tessera and their Vampire patches, too, and the poo poo I've heard about leaking from the Sims modding community turns my hair white.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I think I also want to write my own reviews of mods. In the same vein with an "Under the hood" sort of approach. I am not a mod author yet, although my own mod is out soon, so I will probably be able to give a better perspective than most. As for Duels comment on his own mod "That it works because people have used it and say it does", is not very valid. People can be tricked into thinking something is good if they want to believe it, easy to trick people into thinking they are drinking an expensive wine even if they are served cheap ones. Same with mods, they are pulled in by advertisement, not technical reasons.

Truth is that people deserve to know what the mods they install actually do and avoid the bad ones since people spend a lot of their time on modding. If these mod authors end up throwing a tantrum and removing their mods then the community is a better place for it.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 21, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Nexus really makes me miss Unreal Tournament modding, which I did a lot of back in the day. I met almost no crazies doing that, and worked on a few large community projects back when those games were relevant. Maybe we just lucked out; or maybe UT attracts a very different kind of person than The Elder Scrolls.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

GeekTheMage posted:

I watched those DOOM mod videos and this was one of the related videos and I think I'll let it speak for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DCsMvj_tXc

Edit: I read the ZDoom forum's thread for this mod and this is a powerful changelog entry:

I actually watched this. It was interesting feeling my own reactions change as it went along.

"Hahaha, oh God, cringey as poo poo."

".... Huh, he actually put some real effort into this."

"You know, divorced from the cringe, this might actually be fun."

".... Was this a self-aware joke? I can't tell if this was self-aware or not."

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Agents are GO! posted:

The big issue is that of time. Modding any retail game is difficult: it's a lot of work, and the modding tools are not at all user friendly (with the occasional exception like NWN). Making any mod of decent size and quality takes a lot of time and effort. Joe Average, who has a wife, kids, and 9-5 job, simply does not have the time to learn the TES tools and write, playtest and debug a mod. On the other hand we have Hubert Waddlefarb, who hasn't left his mommy's basement in ten years. He has all the time in the world to learn the mod tools and make an MLP futa rape mod, and squeal on he forums if someone criticizes it or uses it without his express written consent.

A dude posted:

or maybe UT attracts a very different kind of person than The Elder Scrolls.

UnrealEd was intuitive and user-friendly. I could easily see Joe Average banging out a fun little CTF map in his spare time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think FPS games also attract a different kind of audience - and modder - than RPGs do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Agents are GO! posted:

First we have to decided the native Notch-level of the game, then adjust accordingly.

Could the plural please be Notchi?

The Notches on his pistol numbered one and nineteen more.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: Please don't use my penis in any other mods

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Backhand posted:

I actually watched this. It was interesting feeling my own reactions change as it went along.

"Hahaha, oh God, cringey as poo poo."

".... Huh, he actually put some real effort into this."

"You know, divorced from the cringe, this might actually be fun."

".... Was this a self-aware joke? I can't tell if this was self-aware or not."

Hah, same here! I really like how the BFG changes its shots depending on the outfit you're wearing. Honestly, visually speaking it's not really any worse than the usual anime tittygame, and gameplay-wise, it looks like it's a lot of fun. I'd love to just play through with the maid uniform and Touhou my way through the levels for sure.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

Hah, same here! I really like how the BFG changes its shots depending on the outfit you're wearing. Honestly, visually speaking it's not really any worse than the usual anime tittygame, and gameplay-wise, it looks like it's a lot of fun. I'd love to just play through with the maid uniform and Touhou my way through the levels for sure.

Did somebody say Touhou and/or maid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oztn_xDfoN8

I mean I'm not saying either of these mods are bad, but look, it says "NEW DOOM GIRL FRIEND" right on the thumbnail.

(I'm in the weird part of Youtube, send help)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gonna be awkward if she files for divorce while you're launching rockets at a Baron of Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dwesa posted:

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: Please don't use my penis in any other mods

Equally good:

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: Enjoy your penis ;)