Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You need to get these bandages off! And you have to hurry. That guard is going to wake up any second.

Frantically, you claw at the bandages around your neck. Around and around and around you go. Unwrapping one piece at a time. Some bandages are long, flimsy pieces. Others are short little scraps of cloth. As each one comes loose, you let it drop on the marble floor at your feet.

Finally you reach the last layer of bandages. Slowly, you peel away the thin cloth that covers your skin.

Skin?

No. That's not skin under there. That's ancient, mummified flesh!

It's as hard as football leather. As brown as beef jerky. As wrinkled as a sixty-year-old prune!

You whirl around and come face-to-face with your own image in the mirrored elevator doors.

quote:

Nooooooo! Unwrapping the bandages didn't work! You're still a mummy.

Your screams are so loud, they awaken the sleeping guard. The one who's been snoring at his desk until now.

Startled, he whips around and lumbers over to where you're standing.

"Yeowww-sa!" the guard cries out. "What the - ?"

The guard is a pot-bellied guy with red veins on his nose.

Instantly, he reaches toward the side of his belt, to the place where a holster would be.

No, you think. Please don't shoot me. I don't want to die!

You start to duck. But he pulls out a walkie-talkie instead of a gun. He pushes the button and speaks into it.

"George? Come quick. We've got trouble!" the guard shouts.

Then he moves toward you. He looks kind of scared. He raises his fists.

"No wait!" you try to say. "I'm just a kid!"

Your lips form the words but your voice doesn't work. No sound comes out.

You can't talk!

quote:

The other guard, the one named George, runs through the marble lobby and lunges at you from behind. His arms encircle you. At the same time, the first guard grabs your legs.

No! you try to scream again. But in the last few moments, your transformation into a mummy has become complete. Your vocal chords have hardened into dry sticks. They won't move.

Suddenly the terrible truth hits you.

To all the world, you are a mummy. Not a kid.

You are a living mummy, a freak of nature, something to be feared... and destroyed.

You struggle against the guards, flailing your arms wildly. You kick your dry, brown legs at George's shins. Desperate to escape, you twist your small, leathery body, hoping to slip free.

But you're no match for the guards. They are swift and powerful.

They lift you off the floor, carry you toward the mummy's sarcophagus - and stuff you inside!

quote:

George holds you down while the other guard closes the sarcophagus lid. Tight.

Help! you want to scream as the darkness closes in on you.

Then you're thrown against the side of the sarcophagus.

The guards have lifted you up onto their shoulders and are carrying you somewhere!

At first you bang on the sarcophagus lid with both fists. Let me out! you silently scream.

Then you lie very still and listen.

From the guards' muffled conversation, you figure out what's happening. They are carrying the wooden mummy case to a car and loading it into the trunk.

"Now what?" George asks the other guard.

"Now we take him back to the museum," the other guy replies.

"No way!" you hear George exclaim. "Are you kidding? We've got a living mummy here! We could make a fortune!"

From inside the sarcophagus, you hear the other guy mumble something. George answers back. It sounds like they're arguing. You hear George exclaim, "Okay, we'll flip a coin for it! Heads, you win. Tails, we do what I say."

Uh-oh. Your life depends on the flip of a coin!

Flip a coin. If it comes up heads, turn to PAGE 67.

If it's tails, turn to PAGE 17.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Goal Endings: 0/3

Bad Endings
Interrupted a ritual and dried up into dust.

Achievements
Night at the Museum: Faced down a decidedly non-supernatural mummy.
Punk'd: Fell for the old "fake mummy with a psychic diary" routine.
A Pharaoh in Frisco: Let the mummy revive himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I got tails.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Mine came up heads.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Heads

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Heads

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
Tales.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You flip a coin. It comes up heads.

Or it would have come up heads. Unfortunately, the coin that George flipped was one of those tricky two-sided coins. Both sides were tails. It didn't have a "heads" side!

Of course! That's why he was so eager to flip a coin in the first place!

Which means you're out of luck.

quote:

The guard flips a coin and it comes up tails.

"Good," George says. "I win. Now listen to me."

You listen, too, from inside your mummy case in the trunk.

But you can't hear a thing. And a moment later, George slams the trunk shut and the car takes off.

Whoa! you want to cry as you feel the car zooming up and down the famous San Francisco hills. Your stomach would be turning over right now - if you had one - the hills are so steep. It feels as if you're on a roller coaster.

George drives like a maniac. You can hear the tires squeal around the corners as he makes sharp turns.

Finally the car slows down and eases to a stop.

Where are we? you wonder.

You hear a foghorn. And the sound of water lapping at the sides of a pier. You figure you must be near a dock. You can almost smell the salty air from inside the wooden case.

Why would they bring me to a pier? you wonder. Then you get a sinking feeling.

quote:

Suddenly you hear the trunk of the car open. Someone's lifting you out! Your stiff mummified body slides forward in the wooden sarcophagus. You bump your head.

Ow! you think.

"Hurry up!" George whispers loudly. "The boat's about to leave! Help me get this heavy coffin on board."

On board! you think. Where are they taking me?

BUMP. SLAM. OOOMPH.

Your body crashes against the walls of the mummy case, slapping first to one side and then the other. Owwww...

Suddenly, you begin to feel dizzy. Light-headed. Strange all over. What's going on?

Maybe all this slamming around is getting to me, you think.

"Put it down there," a deep voice suddenly commands. "Let's see this living mummy you've told me about."

It's a new voice. Someone you haven't heard before.

KA-BUMP. The two guards drop the sarcophagus with a heavy thud. Then someone lifts the lid and peers inside. Light streams in on you.

"Hey! What's happening to him?" the man with the deep voice cries. "He smells rotten!"

quote:

The three men lean closer and peer into your sarcophagus.

"Yeow-sa!" the other guard yells. "He's starting to rot!"

No! you think. But it's true! Your ancient, mummified body is turning to mush! Your face is losing its shape. Your hollow, ancient eyes are caving in, leaving huge holes in your face.

No wonder you feel so weak!

"It's the salt air!" the man with the deep voice cries. His eyes open in horror as pieces of your body begin to fall away!

"Without bandages to protect it from the fog and salty air, the dried flesh is molding and breaking down."

"What should we do with him?" George asks, holding his nose.

"He's no good to us now," the man with the deep voice answers. "We've got to get rid of him."

"No," the other guard insists. "I say we take him back to the museum."

"Flip a coin," George declares. "That's how we'll decide."

Oh, no, you think. Not another coin!

Flip another coin. If it's heads, turn to PAGE 35.

If it's tails, turn to PAGE 27.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings

Achievements

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I wonder if the quantum coin is double-sided heads if we say tails.

Tails this time.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Ew.

Tails

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

They flip a coin. "Tails," George declares.

Uh-oh. Big trouble. Major bummer.

"Toss him overboard," the man with the deep voice orders. "And get it over with!"

Those are the last words you ever hear.

A second later, George and the other guard fling you over the side of the boat. The chilly water soaks into you. You start to sink.

You never could swim, even as a kid.

But that's not the worst part.

The worst part is that these coastal waters are shark-infested.

And as it turns out, mummies make great fish food!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings
:siren:Thrown into the ocean and eaten by sharks.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Hide in the elevator.
  • Don't give the mummy the diary.
  • Go back to the hotel.
  • Get heads on the second coin flip.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Uh... heads?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Blasted RNG.

Reload that until it comes up heads instead.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Let's stay in the elevator. Maybe we'll get another joke ending for our troubles.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Love Hide in an elevator.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
It was a two-headed coin, therefore it should be heads.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

The man with the deep voice flips a coin. It's heads.

"Okay, take him back to the museum," the man agrees. "But do it now. We sail in two minutes. Get him off my ship!

Clumsily, the two guards toss the lid back on the sarcophagus and haul you off the ship. An hour later, you arrive at the San Francisco Fine Arts Museum. They hand you over to Marvin DeNeely, the museum director who's in charge of Egyptian collections.

"What have you done to him?" Marvin shouts when he glances in the wooden sarcophagus. "My beautiful mummy! He's a mess!"

I'm not really a mummy! you want to cry. I'm a kid!

But with your body rotting away, you can't even manage to sit up. Pieces of your old, hard flesh fall off in chunks. It makes you weak. And dizzy.

You lie still in your sarcophagus. Too tired to even cry.

quote:

"Get out!" Marvin yells at the guards, sending them away.

He lifts your rotting body out of the mummy case. Gently and carefully.

He grabs a handful of gauze rolls from a drawer. Then he starts wrapping you up again.

Yes! you think. The gauze feels cool and clean.

As soon as the bandages touch your skin, you begin to feel better. More alive! He's saving you!

You feel your strength return. You sit up and look Marvin in the eye.

He doesn't even flinch! It's as if he expected you to be alive.

You move your hand, pretending to write something. And he calmly hands you a pencil and paper.

"I'm a kid," you write frantically. "The mummy traded places with me and then escaped. He stole my body! You have to help me. I have to get back to my family.

Marvin reads the note over your shoulder and sighs.

"I know," he says. "I know."

He knows! That's fantastic! you think. Maybe he knows how to change you back into a kid again!

quote:

Marvin nods toward the corner of the room. For the first time you look around. You're in a huge museum storage room. And there are other mummies, too! Not far from you. They're lying on tables in the far corner.

"The others are always saying the same thing," Marvin explains. "Pretending they have families to get to. I can't leave them alone for a minute. They'd try to escape. And I wouldn't be a very good museum director if I let all my mummies go, would I?"

What's he talking about? Are the other mummies alive, too? Is he not going to let you go?

"You're an important artifact from ancient Egypt," he adds. "A major addition to our collection. You'll understand if I have to keep you under lock and key."

He's carrying you over to a storage locker! A big one in the far corner. He's putting you in it! Wait a minute. You thought he was going to help!

You move your hand up and down like mad. Pretending to write. Hoping he'll give you the pencil and paper again!

"Don't worry," he adds as he swings the locker door shut. "You'll get to see your family again someday - we'll send them tickets to the exhibition!"

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings
Thrown into the ocean and eaten by sharks.
:siren:Forced to remain in the mummy's body as a museum exhibit.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Hide in the elevator.
  • Go back to the hotel.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
That ending raises a lot of questions.

Go back to the hotel

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 20, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Hide in the elevator

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This book is alarmingly consistent - we have seen that every time we come into physical contact with the bandages, they wrap around us and turn us into mummies in turn. It's not like one of these books to remember basic plot elements, that's impressive.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Next vote for the hotel or the elevator takes it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Return to the hotel.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

The hotel, you decide. You've got to get back there to your family. You need help!

But what if your parents take one look at you and freak out? What if they don't recognize you?

You've got to take that chance.

You tiptoe across the marble floor of the lobby. Your footsteps don't make a sound. Probably because the bandages are still wrapped around your feet.

You sneak past the still-sleeping guard and slip out into the foggy night. Your bandages trail behind you as you head back toward the hotel. You glance around, hoping no one will see you.

At the corner, you accidentally catch your reflection in a store window. Your face is so hideous, you almost scream.

Stay calm, you tell yourself. Only one more block to go.

Uh-oh. Here comes a car.

quote:

You have to hide! You duck into the alcove of a nearby building and huddle in the shadows. The long, black limousine cruises by.

Phew. Close one.

Except an instant later the two glass doors behind you swing open and two doctors walk out. One man, one woman.

That's when you notice the sign over the entrance: EMERGENCY MEDICAL ASSISTANCE.

"Hey," the male doctor says to you. "What are you doing out here? You should be in bed. You are very sick!"

Then the female doctor steps closer. She peers into your face. At your shrunken, dried, brown-leather face.

She grabs your wrist.

"Hey, look!" she whispers to the other doctor. "This isn't a patient. It's a mummy!"

quote:

"Reallllly?" the other doctor says slowly. "A living mummy?" He steps forward and peers at you over the top of his gold wire-rimmed glasses. "Amazing!"

"I sure would like to see what's inside this guy," the female doctor says. "Wouldn't you?

The male doctor nods and grins. "We could make a lot of money on this," he mutters.

You don't like the way these two are looking at you. There's something creepy about the glint in their eyes. And the eager expressions on their faces.

And what does she mean - see what's inside? One thing's for sure: It doesn't sound good!

The female doctor tightens her grip on your wrist.

You glance back out to the street to see if the limousine is gone. It's not.

What are you going to do?

If you pull away and dash out into the street, turn to PAGE 91.

If you stay hidden in the alcove with the doctors, turn to PAGE 112.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings
Forced to remain in the mummy's body as a museum exhibit.

Achievements

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

We out, bitches

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

I'm sure I'll soon be proven wrong, but at the moment I can't think of anything worse than being dissected. Bye, fools!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

These doctors seem friendly. Let's stay here.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure these greedy looking doctors would not dream of violating the Hippocratic Oath. Let's stay here.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Run away!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BioEnchanted posted:

This book is alarmingly consistent - we have seen that every time we come into physical contact with the bandages, they wrap around us and turn us into mummies in turn. It's not like one of these books to remember basic plot elements, that's impressive.

It could just be the bias of being familiar with them but this and creeping coffin are the best books this thread's done so far.

That said there's another route in this book that's uh

less consistent

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 21, 2018

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Stay. We will totally not get dissected. Probably.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied again, next vote takes it.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Run!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

These doctors are creeps, you decide. They're looking at you as if they've just won the lottery - and you're the prize!

You've got to get away from them. You yank your wrist hard. You dash out of the alcove and back onto the sidewalk.

Luckily, the limousine driver doesn't seem to notice you. Even with your bandages trailing behind you.

The doctors chase you, but you manage to slip away from them. You sneak into a side door of the hotel and take the elevator to the fourteenth floor. You rush to the room you share with your family.

Then you reach for your room key. Your heart starts to pound. Oh, no! You forgot. You're a mummy! No pockets, no room key.

You knock on the door. What else can you do?

You hear footsteps inside the room. Good. Someone's coming.

But who?

You hope it's your older brother, Derek. He can be a jerk sometimes, but usually the two of you get along.

You wrap your face back up as best you can and put your hand on your hip, trying to look casual.

The door swings open.

When you see who's there, a scream rises in your throat.

quote:

Standing in the doorway in front of you is the most terrifying thing you've ever seen in your life.

You!

At least, it looks like you. You know that it's really the mummy. He stole your body, and now he's living in your hotel room. And wearing your clothes!

He looks really stupid in your pajamas, too.

The mummy - the kid who looks like you - laughs in your face.

Then he slams the door. And double locks it.

Hey - ! you try to shout. But no sound comes out.

That's when you realize -

You can't speak!

quote:

For a moment, you stand in the hallway just staring at the locked door.

Locked.

Locked out of your hotel room.

Locked away from your family.

Locked out of your own life.

And no one even knows it! you realize. Your family probably thinks the mummy is you!

Why not? He looks like you...

"No!" you want to cry. "You can't steal my life that way!"

But your mouth won't make a sound.

Suddenly, you hear a noise. The elevator. Someone's coming.

Your heart pounds faster.

Don't let anyone see me, you think. Please.

quote:

Frantically, you glance around for someplace to hide. Any place.

You spot a storage closet a few feet away. The floor stands slightly open. Yes! you think, as you quickly slip inside.

You flip on a light, hold your breath, and listen.

Are the footsteps coming toward you?

You wait. Your heart pounds.

Finally the footsteps pass.

You breathe and glance around at the supplies in the closet.

Rolls of toilet paper. Soaps. Tiny bottles of hotel shampoo. Towels. Mops. A vacuum cleaner.

And pens! Ballpoint pens with the hotel's name on them. Smell note pads, too. There are some just like them by the telephone in your room.

That's what you need, you realize. Paper and pen, so you can write your family a note!

You start to scribble a note to your brother, Derek.

But suddenly you notice something else on the closet floor. Something even better than a pen. Keys! The housekeeper could have dropped them, you decide. They look like master keys that will open every room in the hotel.

If you use the keys to open your hotel room, turn to PAGE 41.

If you write a note and slip it to Derek, turn to PAGE 117.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings

Achievements

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Epicurius posted:

So, having sat through this book, I got to thinking about rules that gamebooks/choose your own adventure books should follow, because I'm thinking this book serves as a great negative example. Honestly, I hated this book, and while none of the books we've read so far are classics of modern literature, this book is by far the worst.

A rule I'd like to add: unless your gamebook is intentionally silly, the world should be consistent across choices. Unlike how the guy knocking at the door was a bellhop if you opened the door or the mummy if you didn't.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Be the master of unlocking and go back to that room.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Write a note.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied yet again, next vote takes it.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Write the note.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to write a note to your brother and slip it under your family's hotel-room door.

Clumsily, you pick up a pen and clutch it in your gauzy hand. Your hand feels like a paw with all that cloth wrapped around it. So your handwriting looks weird. Messy.

But who cares? Quickly you scribble a note. It says:

"Dear Derek, Help! I can't explain how, but somehow I've been transformed into the mummy. And the mummy has taken over my body! Don't trust that creep. He's just pretending to be me! I'm hiding in the storage closet down the hall. Please - come help me!"

You think a moment. Then you add your birthday and the name of your favorite basketball player. Just so he'll know for sure that it's you.

Then you sign your name.

You sneak out of the closet and walk down the hall. Your gauzy feet don't make a sound. You slip the note under the door to the room where your family is staying.

Then you hurry back to the storage closet to hide - and wait.

quote:

Ten minutes go by. Twenty.

You stand in the storage closet. Hiding. Waiting for someone to find you.

But who will it be?

You hate this part. It feels too much like playing hide-and-seek. Waiting to be caught.

Suddenly you hear footsteps in the hall. Quiet footsteps.

You hold your breath.

The footsteps stop right outside the storage closet door.

Silence.

Why doesn't he come in? you wonder. What's he waiting for?

Is it Derek?

You don't dare open the door. What if it's not Derek? What if it's someone else?

Silence.

Finally you start to reach for the doorknob. Before you touch it, it turns by itself. The door swings open.

No!

You - your body, your face - you're standing out in the hall!

But it isn't you. It's the mummy, inside your body.

Quickly he reaches out and grabs you by the neck!

quote:

The mummy, who looks exactly like you, moves forward into the storage closet. He pushes you back, forcing you against the closet wall. You're trapped!

"I got your note," he grumbles. He reaches into his pajama pocket - your pajamas! - and pulls out the crumpled paper you wrote on. "Forget it! You're never going to get your body back! I've been waiting too long for this chance - my chance to have a life!"

Still pinning you against the back closet wall with one hand, he grabs at your bandages with the other. The bandages that wrapped themselves around you all by themselves. You try to fight him off, but he's stronger. He unwraps you from the top, unwinding the bandages that encircle your head.

"You won't last long without these," he says. ""Your body will soon start to rot and then - ahh!"

All at once, he jumps back. A look of terror flashes into his eyes.

quote:

Your bandages, the ones the mummy-kid is unwrapping, have trailed across his arms.

All at once, they start to wrap themselves around him just as they had mysteriously clung to you. They bind him quickly. Tightly. They seem to have a life of their own, as if they want to choke him to death.

The mummy-kid's eyes flash with fear.

"No!" he cries, trying to pull away.

Yes! you think. This is it! This is how I can trade places with him again!

If you can just get all the bandages off in time...

Then they'll wrap around him, just as they wrapped around you in the lobby of the Pyramid Building.

As fast as you can, you start to unwrap the rest of your bandages.

Quickly you unwrap the horrible gauze so that it will be free to encircle the mummy. The bandages wind themselves around his face, his neck, his body. They pin his arms to his sides so he can't move!

quote:

"No!" The mummy-kid lets out a muffled cry from under his bandaged mouth.

But you ignore him. As soon as he is wrapped up, you reach out and touch him on the face. Your face.

Instantly, you feel a sudden jolt of electricity flow through you. Like an electrical shock. It burns and stings.

And you feel it twice! Once in the mummy's body. Once in your own! As if you are two people at once.

You pull your hand away.

All at once, the mummy-kid's skin begins to harden into the ancient, dried brown leather. You glance down at your own hands and watch them turn pink again!

After that, everything seems like a blur. You race to your hotel room and tell your parents the whole story. No one quite believes you about the mummy being alive, especially since he's not alive now. He seems perfectly and completely dead.

But later that night, when you pick up the mummy's diary, you find something new written on the last page.

"I am back in my prison - for now," it says. "But soon I will awaken again and take my revenge!"

Here we go again!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/3:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Hide in the elevator.
  • Stay in the alcove with the doctors.
  • Use the keys to enter the hotel room.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Call me crazy, but that didn't seem like a good ending.

Use the keys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

rudecyrus posted:

Call me crazy, but that didn't seem like a good ending.

Use the keys

It beats the hell out of the ones where we died or got permanently trapped or whatever.

Hide in the elevator.