Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Meat isn't healthy" says a predator.

Humans can live happily without meat, especially with all the resources modern westerners have to produce a complete diet. Try feeding a cat vegan to see how a “predator” reacts without meat. (Immediate death)

Steinrokkan proving my point tho lol

I ain’t even vegan but I’m excited for vat meat. May as well get meat without animal suffering if it’s possible, and you’re definitely a monster if you’re 100% ok with how factory farming goes down.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
No I get that. Also I should correct myself, I shouldnt have said the whole world should go vegan because that ignores billions of people who don't have the luxury of picking and choosing what to eat all the time like I do.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Humans can live happily without meat. Try feeding a cat vegan to see how a “predator” reacts without meat.

Steinrokkan proving my point tho lol

I ain’t even vegan but I’m excited for vat meat. May as well get meat without animal suffering if it’s possible, and you’re definitely a monster if you’re 100% ok with how factory farming goes down.

Actually not a single person in the world can live happily without meat. All the "vegans" are secretly eating meat when nobody is looking and are delusional.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Unpopular opinion: the fact that farming meat is not environmentally friendly isn't the root problem. The problem is the population. Cut the population by 90% and the pollution added by farming meat to feed the survivors would be negligible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

life is a joke posted:

Like many other things throughout history, to those of us living in the present it seems like "just the way things are" but there's no way the methods animals are impregnated, raised, used, killed, and butchered will seem like anything less than horrific as current alternatives (veg, vegan) become the norm.
I think it's more likely that veganism will die off than meat eating.

life is a joke posted:

Vegans get accused of being preachy just for saying they don't eat meat, you can't win with the I'm a biiiig man, and i want a biiiiiig steak crew.
I think vegetarians/vegans who say this don't realise that those people are obnoxious to literally everyone. Like you say, you can't win with them. They're not singling vegans out, they're just trying to prove that they're the biggest, toughest, manliest man present. If you eat steak and drink beer they'll be sure to point out how they finished their steak first and drank more beer than you. Vegans often see that kind of behaviour from arseholes and act like it's literally every non-vegan behaving that way, so ordinary people just see all these whiny vegans always whinging about how everyone's picking on them.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you’re definitely a monster if you’re 100% ok with how factory farming goes down.
Most people are monsters then. Sure, people know that it's "correct" to say that they hate factory farming and animal cruelty, but when they actually get into the supermarket they just grab the cheapest or nicest looking bit of meat without a second thought. Maybe they avoid the cage eggs or the veal, because it's easy to do that and still eat basically whatever you want, but they're not going to actually inconvenience themselves one iota for their supposedly deeply-held beliefs.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If going out to dinner once in a while especially when part of it is covered in the per diem rate breaks your bank you should probably ask for a raise.

When I went to a conference when I was a manager for a company a while ago a co-manager forgoed the actually nice dinner (choice of bricked grilled chicken or steak with asparagus and red skinned mashed potatoes) that was paid for us at the hotel and went and bought burger king across the street with his own money like a weirdo

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like meat. And tofu. And rice.
I ate food grown in human waste for years, I'm not picky.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
factory farming uses like 50% less resources than every alternative
it's very cruel but very efficient

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Most people are monsters then. Sure, people know that it's "correct" to say that they hate factory farming and animal cruelty, but when they actually get into the supermarket they just grab the cheapest or nicest looking bit of meat without a second thought. Maybe they avoid the cage eggs or the veal, because it's easy to do that and still eat basically whatever you want, but they're not going to actually inconvenience themselves one iota for their supposedly deeply-held beliefs.
Sad but true. I get no pleasure from knowing what my food has been through, but I'm also way too lazy to change my habits for reasons good and bad. Lab-grown meat cannot get here soon enough, although just watch as that stuff ends up using twice as many natural resources for half the yield.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Conan the Barbarian (1982) is the best fantasy movie. Thats not saying much, but still. Better then the Lord of the Rings films (although i really like those) and any Harry Potter film.

Other good fantasy movies:

Conan the Destroyer
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Dragonslayer
Excalibur

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, the Lord of the Rings movies have not aged nearly as well as you'd hope.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The LOTR movies were incredible at the theater and then trying to watch it on DVD was unbearable.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

steinrokkan posted:

soy is absolutely terrible for the environment.

I’ve never heard this before. Why is soy bad for the environment?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

silence_kit posted:

I’ve never heard this before. Why is soy bad for the environment?

Mostly because a lot of rainforest is burned down to make soy fields. But that soy doesn't go to feed vegans (who generally prefer local organic versions), it goes to feed the animals that meat eaters consume.

E: soy is actually really good for crop rotation, because it does nitrogen fixing, but so do many other legumes

pidan has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Jan 22, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pidan posted:

Mostly because a lot of rainforest is burned down to make soy fields. But that soy doesn't go to feed vegans (who generally prefer local organic versions), it goes to feed the animals that meat eaters consume.

E: soy is actually really good for crop rotation, because it does nitrogen fixing, but so do many other legumes

That's just normal deforestation and monocrops, right? Or is there something specifically bad about soy?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That's just normal deforestation and monocrops, right? Or is there something specifically bad about soy?

Back in the 90's, soy was the CEO of an international company that fueled it's offshore plastics factory with burning tires.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

factory farming uses like 50% less resources than every alternative
it's very cruel but very efficient

This is only true if you assume that the average person needs to consume huge quantities of meat, which has been untrue for most of human history. Meat animals like pigs can be incorporated into sustainable farming practices, or free-range cattle or goats or sheep can graze land that isn't suitable for large-scale farming (or places like my home in west Texas, that wastes enormous amounts of water to sustain mass cotton farming) but that would require people adjust to lesser quantities of meat, which isn't happening in the west.

The idea that the average person eats non-seafood meat 3x a day daily, from animals killed possibly very far away, is pretty new, and still not true in large parts of the world. Remember, dairy animals were domesticated for their milk. Slaughtering them when times got tough was a bonus, but something you did in winter when it became absolutely necessary.

But radically altering agriculture would cause so many problems of its own and would never happen anyway, so, who the gently caress knows. GG earth, nice knowing you.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You can't hurt the Earth, you can just hurt your own environment enough so that Humans will no longer be viable.

Also it will 100% affect all the poor first.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Being vegan is racist to native populations which usually have eating meat as like a core part of their traditional beliefs.

Shameful, vegans.

life is a joke posted:

Because it's very easy to stay healthy and have a good diet without eating meat at all. People want to eat animals all the time for cheap but they way we get that is through factory farming and other stomach churning practices. Like many other things throughout history, to those of us living in the present it seems like "just the way things are" but there's no way the methods animals are impregnated, raised, used, killed, and butchered will seem like anything less than horrific as current alternatives (veg, vegan) become the norm. Also lab meat maybe like aphrodite said, but last I heard that was still a ways off.

2020 is the latest prediction.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But radically altering agriculture would cause so many problems of its own and would never happen anyway, so, who the gently caress knows. GG earth, nice knowing you.

this really can't be stated enough

not every bit of land on the earth is suitable for intensive agriculture and quite a bit of it is actually quite marginally productive and only supports meager local growth like grass lands, you would either create major ecological disasters trying to divert enough fresh water to irrigate these projects or you would create enormous dust bowl style events from trying to more naively cultivate this sort of land for human food production, or possibly some other catastrophe depending on how you used our present technology to achieve unsustainable production

what you can do on this sort of marginally productive land is raise certain kinds of livestock, wonderful creatures that just have to be set out to pasture and they'll convert these inedible plant materials to meat/milk/cheese/leather/etc for you, and you'll still get reasonably good value from the land; one of the minor mysteries of the 20th century was actually why farmers in the dust-bowl affected areas didn't switch to livestock during those awful years because even tho the adverse conditions ruined other kinds of crop grass is way too hearty for that poo poo and these families would've stayed afloat and maybe prospered instead of sinking to financial ruin, maybe they didn't know it was an option or just felt like it was too much of an investment - anyway as of this moment we are not limited by maximum potential energy from solar output, inefficient use of energy pyramids, losses from inefficient tropic arrangements or anything theoretical like that and the sort of thinking behind humanity completely going vegan is borderline science fiction

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Meat animals like pigs can be incorporated into sustainable farming practices, or free-range cattle or goats or sheep can graze land that isn't suitable for large-scale farming (or places like my home in west Texas, that wastes enormous amounts of water to sustain mass cotton farming) but that would require people adjust to lesser quantities of meat, which isn't happening in the west.

People talk about this a lot but in a very vague way. Is it possible to produce 1/10th of current meat demand in this way at a reasonable cost? If not, what about 1/100th? If not, can you do 1/1000th?

I am generally suspicious of people who talk about agricultural sustainability. Often they’ll make vague complaints about industrial agriculture, and then in the same breathe complain that food in the US costs too much, or complain that it is unacceptable that it can be hard to find fresh fruit and vegetables in inner-city Detroit in the middle of winter. Those last two things are kind of at odds with opposing industrial agriculture.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Jan 22, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
my phuo is that vegetarians rule and veganz drool

if you think killing animals for meat is cruel I can respect that but lol if you're upset that milking a cow is getting in the way of its self-actualization or w/e

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One of the girls i'm dating is a vegetarian and I'm finding it kind of fun learning new recipes besides stir fry, pasta, and risotto that don't have meat in them. Next one I'm trying is saag paneer. It's already one of my favorite foods, but I've never tried cooking it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I love vegetarian food and vegan food. Especially curries.

But, like, I don't want to *only* eat vegetarian or vegan.

Which makes me clearly the victor.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

lol

Tofu is just as pointless as planes in a GTA game, and soy is absolutely terrible for the environment.

Lol @ what a goddamn loving idiot you are.

"Just over 70 percent of the soybeans grown in the United States are used for animal feed, with poultry being the number one livestock sector consuming soybeans, followed by hogs, dairy, beef and aquaculture."
https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/coexistence-soybeans-factsheet.pdf

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Even though Sondheim is clearly superior to Weber, Jesus Christ Superstar kicks the poo poo out of everything Sondheim ever touched.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is only true if you assume that the average person needs to consume huge quantities of meat, which has been untrue for most of human history. Meat animals like pigs can be incorporated into sustainable farming practices, or free-range cattle or goats or sheep can graze land that isn't suitable for large-scale farming (or places like my home in west Texas, that wastes enormous amounts of water to sustain mass cotton farming) but that would require people adjust to lesser quantities of meat, which isn't happening in the west.

The idea that the average person eats non-seafood meat 3x a day daily, from animals killed possibly very far away, is pretty new, and still not true in large parts of the world. Remember, dairy animals were domesticated for their milk. Slaughtering them when times got tough was a bonus, but something you did in winter when it became absolutely necessary.

It's also worth mentioning that the amount of red meat consumed in a typical American diet is actually pretty bad for you. Humans just aren't designed to eat pig or cow meat with every single meal like a lot of people do in the States. Aside from the fact that it's just plain unnecessary we're really meant to mostly eat plants if you look at how our digestive system is set up. We're pretty adaptable in what we can get a complete, proper diet out of but boy howdy do we overdo the meat here.

And now my related but depressingly unpopular opinion; American society is gluttonous, wasteful, and disgusting. We've created a society of fat, greedy narcissists.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The American diet is actually perfectly suited for our nation of 350 million marathon runners.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And now my related but depressingly unpopular opinion; American society is gluttonous, wasteful, and disgusting. We've created a society of fat, greedy narcissists.
I know you're technically right, but it's hard because most people I know would agree with you. The 21st Century will see the American decline and we all basically deserve it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

silence_kit posted:

People talk about this a lot but in a very vague way. Is it possible to produce 1/10th of current meat demand in this way at a reasonable cost? If not, what about 1/100th? If not, can you do 1/1000th?

I am generally suspicious of people who talk about agricultural sustainability. Often they’ll make vague complaints about industrial agriculture, and then in the same breathe complain that food in the US costs too much, or complain that it is unacceptable that it can be hard to find fresh fruit and vegetables in inner-city Detroit in the middle of winter. Those last two things are kind of at odds with opposing industrial agriculture.

I couldn't tell you, I'm not an agricultural scientist. I'm not saying it's feasible for 100% of the meat we need/want to be produced this way or that it's feasible to convince people to revert entirely to rare meals of local meat. I've personally seen sustainable agriculture practiced on a small scale- ie, a family in Canada I knew used the older native american three-crop field system of maize, squash, and beans, with a smattering of other stuff like fruits, alongside pigs and goats, and the result was production of enough food for the family plus a bit extra to sell or donate. Obviously there is no way in hell that all seven billion of us can revert to this kind of lifestyle, nor is every place as suitable as Ontario to grow this way. But we can look into it instead of shrugging and loving the earth the way we currently do.

My point is that factory farming is only the most efficient method because we take it for granted in the west that we need to eat a shitload of pork, beef, etc. It'd be different if factory farming was all poultry and aquaculture and other animals were grazed on poor land unsuitable for growing, (plus this would free up a lot of land that goes to animal feed to be used for... something else) but them's the breaks.

I'm a total layman but I have friends in the field and I've done some reading, so if anyone knows better than me go for it.

exquisite tea posted:

The American diet is actually perfectly suited for our nation of 350 million marathon runners.

"BMI is innacurate, it says bodybuilders are obese. I am perfectly healthy at my weight." *cannot do a bodyweight squat*

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Tofu is great. It tastes exactly like raw pork anus, but it's cheaper.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"BMI is innacurate, it says bodybuilders are obese. I am perfectly healthy at my weight." *cannot do a bodyweight squat*
This is true, although I've always been confused about my own healthy weight and muscle capabilities. My absolute lowest basement weight after puberty was 180 lbs. I was 18, walking everywhere in the city, chain-smoking, and eating 2 meals a day of light food--mostly veggies. I had little bulk muscle, lost all fat deposits including love handles and neck... yet at 5'7" I was obese? I wasn't healthy and I work hard to stay as low as I can for a variety of reasons, but my "not killing myself" weight where I eat healthy, exercise, and still have energy/strength at the end of it is 200-210 lbs. It really trips me out.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mind the walrus posted:

This is true, although I've always been confused about my own healthy weight and muscle capabilities. My absolute lowest basement weight after puberty was 180 lbs. I was 18, walking everywhere in the city, chain-smoking, and eating 2 meals a day of light food--mostly veggies. I had little bulk muscle, lost all fat deposits including love handles and neck... yet at 5'7" I was obese? I wasn't healthy and I work hard to stay as low as I can for a variety of reasons, but my "not killing myself" weight where I eat healthy, exercise, and still have energy/strength at the end of it is 200-210 lbs. It really trips me out.

5'7 180lbs is definitely fat if you're not jacked.

200lbs is huge at that height. Definitely obese unless you've worked your rear end off for years in the gym.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Maybe he has enormous organs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sassassin posted:

5'7 180lbs is definitely fat if you're not jacked.

200lbs is huge at that height. Definitely obese unless you've worked your rear end off for years in the gym.
I'm not really arguing, but I am saying that at 180 lbs. I had no spare body fat whatsoever. If it helps, I have the body frame of a Tolkein Dwarf, minus the hair. My shoulder-span rivals that of dudes 6' +. I know you've seen day laborers with similar frames.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Consider yourself lucky, I'm an inch smaller than you and look fat at 145. Tolkien hobbit build.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's also worth mentioning that the amount of red meat consumed in a typical American diet is actually pretty bad for you. Humans just aren't designed to eat pig or cow meat with every single meal like a lot of people do in the States. Aside from the fact that it's just plain unnecessary we're really meant to mostly eat plants if you look at how our digestive system is set up. We're pretty adaptable in what we can get a complete, proper diet out of but boy howdy do we overdo the meat here.

This is not at all true. Joe Rogan is a loving beast and eats mainly meat that he hunts for himself and my friend John who works out constantly at the same rate and eats only vegetables has impacted bowels and horrible loving stomach problems. If anything too much vegetables are bad for humans, and I'm not at all an idiot who suggests an all protein diet

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Joseph James Rogan (born August 11, 1967) is an American stand-up comedian, martial arts color commentator and podcast host

Hmm yes, total beast, no embellishment hear

A fan of comedy since his youth, Rogan began a career in stand-up in August 1988 in the Boston area, developing a blue comedy act. He moved to New York City two years later.

After relocating to Los Angeles in 1994, Rogan signed an exclusive developmental deal with Disney, appeared as an actor on the television sitcoms Hardball and NewsRadio, and worked in local comedy clubs. In 1997, he started working for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) as an interviewer and color commentator. Rogan released his first comedy special in 2000, and has since produced seven other specials. From 2001, he has been the host of several television shows, including Fear Factor, The Man Show, and Joe Rogan Questions Everything.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is not at all true. Joe Rogan is a loving beast and eats mainly meat that he hunts for himself and my friend John who works out constantly at the same rate and eats only vegetables has impacted bowels and horrible loving stomach problems. If anything too much vegetables are bad for humans, and I'm not at all an idiot who suggests an all protein diet

Vegetables are good, your friend either is somehow eating them weird, not hydrating or has some other problem.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not really arguing, but I am saying that at 180 lbs. I had no spare body fat whatsoever. If it helps, I have the body frame of a Tolkein Dwarf, minus the hair. My shoulder-span rivals that of dudes 6' +. I know you've seen day laborers with similar frames.

Maybe your scale is broken

Straight White Shark posted:

my phuo is that vegetarians rule and veganz drool

if you think killing animals for meat is cruel I can respect that but lol if you're upset that milking a cow is getting in the way of its self-actualization or w/e

There definitely exist vegans who believe that milking a cow is rape or w/e but it's actually pretty grisly:

Cows only give the amount of milk we want if they've recently given birth (like any mammal). So milk cows are basically impregnated as often as possible. From this we obviously get a lot of cow babies, and since we can't fill the world with cows we basically have to eat them.
Similarly for eggs, to get more chickens you have to make some baby chicks, and those that turn out to be male are discarded and destroyed. Even if you use a chicken breed that is good for both eggs and meat, and industrial agriculture doesn't, you only need one rooster for every ten chickens or so, so nine out of ten roosters need to go.

Now I don't think killing animals is wrong on principle, so I don't have a problem with vegetarianism. But technically speaking the vegan position is more consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Joseph James Rogan[1] was born on August 11, 1967, in Newark, New Jersey,[2] the place where his grandfather moved his family in the 1940s.[3] He is of one-quarter Irish and three-quarters Italian descent.[4] His father, Joseph, worked as a police officer in Newark. At five years of age, Rogan's parents divorced,[5] and his father has not been in contact with him since he was seven. Rogan said of his father: "All I remember of my dad are these brief, violent flashes of domestic violence [...] But I don't want to complain about my childhood. Nothing bad ever really happened to me [...] I don't hate the guy."[5] At seven, Rogan and the family moved to San Francisco, California,[5] followed by another move when he was 11 to Gainesville, Florida.[6] They settled in Newton Upper Falls, Massachusetts, where Rogan attended Newton South High School[7][8] graduating in 1985.[9]

Rogan began working for the mixed martial arts promotion Ultimate Fighting Championship as a backstage and post-fight interviewer; his first show took place at UFC 12: Judgement Day in Dothan, Alabama on February 7, 1997.[28] He became interested in jiu-jitsu in 1994 after watching Royce Gracie fight at UFC 2: No Way Out, and landed the position at the organization as Sussman was friends with its co-creator and original producer, Campbell McLaren.[29] He quit after around two years as his salary could not cover the cost of travelling to the events, which were in more rural locations at the time.[30] After the UFC was taken over by Zuffa in 2001, Rogan attended some events and became friends with its new president Dana White, who offered him a job as a color commentator but Rogan initially declined as he "just wanted to go to the fights and drink".[29][5] In 2002, White was able to hire Rogan for free in exchange for prime event tickets for him and his friends.[28] After about fifteen free gigs as commentator Rogan accepted pay for the job, working alongside Mike Goldberg until the end of 2016.[5] Rogan won the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Award for Best Television Announcer twice, and was named MMA Personality of the Year four times by the World MMA Awards.[31] In 2006, Rogan hosted the weekly UFC television show Inside the UFC.[32]

Sometime before 2001, Rogan was in a relationship with actress and reality television star Jerri Manthey.[59] In May 2008, Rogan and his girlfriend Jessica, a former cocktail waitress,[5] had a daughter.[27] They married the following year,[60] and had a second daughter in 2010.[47] The family lives in Bell Canyon, California. In mid-2009, prior to the birth of their second child, they briefly lived in Boulder, Colorado.[61] Rogan is also a stepfather to his wife's daughter from another relationship.[62] He has stress-related vitiligo on his hands and feet.[5]

Rogan became interested in jiu-jitsu after watching Royce Gracie fight at UFC 2: No Way Out in 1994.[30] In 1996, Rogan began training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Carlson Gracie at his school in Hollywood, California.[12] He is a black belt under Eddie Bravo's 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, a style of no-gi Brazilian jiu-jitsu,[63] and a black belt in gi Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Jean Jacques Machado.[64]

Rogan was raised Catholic, having attended Catholic school in the first grade, but has since abandoned following any organized religion and identifies as an agnostic.[65] He is highly critical of the Catholic Church and, drawing from his experiences as a former member, believes it is an institution of oppression.[66]

Rogan is not affiliated with any political party but has been described as having mostly libertarian views.[66][67] He endorsed Ron Paul in the 2012 U.S. presidential campaign[68] and Gary Johnson in the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign.[69]