Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Stephen9001 posted:

I thought of something funny, but not really relevant to anything. I thought to myself one day that "You know what? If the Tomb Kings units have no upkeep, then that means the boring people have no excuse to start their games with disbanding their high tier starter unit, on the grounds of "efficiency". That's funny to me."

Cuz remember how there was one youtube guy who started a Tyrion campaign with disbanding his phoenix to replace it with more archers? That guy won't be able to do that kind of souless poo poo with the Tomb Kings. And I find that hilarious for some reason.

"I want to replace my huge monster with archers." "No, you can't do that, you need to build more buildings to increase your archer limit, disbanding your monster would not help with that, fool." "But... archers... spears..." "By Ptra what is wrong with you?"

:goonsay: To be fair, the 500 gold-per-turn upkeep on a fried chicken is no small sum in the early game. If you're on legendary and you want to have a certain amount of infrastructure development by a certain turn it could be a good idea to run, say, a single 15-stack of basic spears and archers with Tyrion and just play well to win all the early battles.

Although for three reasons it ought to be harder in the next patch (compared to launch):
1: Battle difficulty was bugged, making the ai-controlled units easier to fight. They actually had nerfed combat stats on higher difficulties instead of buffs
2: ai was clumping it's units together in a boxy formation, Cannae style. The ai's bugged formation behaviour was already fixed in the current patch, to the mild detriment of elf archer spam
3: ai also had a habit of clumping up on Tyrion if you sent him out in front, making even even more archer bait than they already were. CA claims this has been fixed in the next patch

Basically the ai was so retarded on launch you may as well have saved the money. Classic CA quality control!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Stephen9001 posted:

I thought of something funny, but not really relevant to anything. I thought to myself one day that "You know what? If the Tomb Kings units have no upkeep, then that means the boring people have no excuse to start their games with disbanding their high tier starter unit, on the grounds of "efficiency". That's funny to me."

Cuz remember how there was one youtube guy who started a Tyrion campaign with disbanding his phoenix to replace it with more archers? That guy won't be able to do that kind of souless poo poo with the Tomb Kings. And I find that hilarious for some reason.

"I want to replace my huge monster with archers." "No, you can't do that, you need to build more buildings to increase your archer limit, disbanding your monster would not help with that, fool." "But... archers... spears..." "By Ptra what is wrong with you?"

Phoenixes aren't very useful or impressive early on and they're not really impressive or cool the way other giant monsters are. Their animations are really lame, actually, since they don't do the cool swooping poo poo that WE great eagles did in game 1. They're a big stupid neon-colored chicken waddling around pecking at things.

Also it's really weird to sneer at people for playing a game in a "soulless" way.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 22, 2018

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kanos posted:

Phoenixes aren't very useful or impressive early on and they're not really impressive or cool the way other giant monsters are. Their animations are really lame, actually, since they don't do the cool swooping poo poo that WE great eagles did in game 1. They're a big stupid neon-colored chicken waddling around pecking at things.

Um, that's the reason they are great? Big, derpy chicken that poop fire on people and peck them to death are awesome.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
With tomb kings having 0 upkeep armies, it will be really important to up your army cap and have a group or two who are functionally just skeleton pirates raiding the seas and coastlines for sacking.

Also, unless they change the sea garbage, it's going to be absurd for tomb kings, 0 upkeep full armies sailing around collecting 10k gold on a faction where +150 a turn is a gold mine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Kinda a shame TK can’t confederate at all, though I get why since you could bypass their army and unit caps really easily. What are people gonna do for campaigns when TK l launches? I’m thinking a Khalida Vortex campaign to start and then a Settra Mortal Empires.

Definitely starting with a Khalida Mortal Empires. First order of business, eradicating the vampires.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Kanos posted:

Also it's really weird to sneer at people for playing a game in a "soulless" way.

Phoenix bombs own.

Sorry fun is such an alien concept to you

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

Um, that's the reason they are great? Big, derpy chicken that poop fire on people and peck them to death are awesome.

They are probably the worst looking monster unit in TWW overall; I would like them way more if they used the awesome great eagle animations they did for the Wood Elf DLC, because those looked absolutely stunning and made the unit worth fielding even though it was loving terrible. Instead we have the stupid chicken walk.

Rygar201 posted:

Phoenix bombs own.

Sorry fun is such an alien concept to you

Phoenix and Gyro bombs are one of the worst and most awkward control/UI things in the game.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Kanos posted:

Phoenix and Gyro bombs are one of the worst and most awkward control/UI things in the game.

Now I just feel bad, it must be painful to type out these bad opinions with crippling carpal tunnel

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rygar201 posted:

Now I just feel bad, it must be painful to type out these bad opinions with crippling carpal tunnel

Naw, he’s right. Nothing else requires that level of micro/timing. It feels out of place. It’d be like having to manually target and loose each arrow volley, spell style

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

who cares

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cythereal posted:

Definitely starting with a Khalida Mortal Empires. First order of business, eradicating the vampires.

Also the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh orders of business

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Clicking move and then bomb on a gyrobomber to obliterate massive chucks of enemy infantry is hardly onerous for what you get as a reward.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Actually having to time it yourself is what's strange about it. Why can't you just press the bomb button and click on a spot that is to be bombed?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am thinking of taking Khalida in the Vortex because her region is the more diverse one, but I am thinking against it because I've played a lot in Lustria in my Mazdamundi playthrough.

I am thinking of playing Settra because he kind of sounds like the canon TK lord and I've never really fought in the area he's in.

I am thinking of playing as Arkhan, his undead gimmick sounds interesting and he's in the same area Settra is in, but I also sort of don't because I want to play TK proper, though I guess the VC units is more a minor optional thing I can take or leave.

I am not thinking of playing Khatep because I loving hate Naggarond and I've fought enough hellwars there in my two previous campaigns (Mazda and Tyrion) that I really don't want to be stuck there for another game fighting infinity Dark Elves and the occasional Beastmen Breyherd.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ZearothK posted:

I am thinking of playing Settra because he kind of sounds like the canon TK lord and I've never really fought in the area he's in.

Consider yourself lucky. In the current state of the game the area around Khemri is a nightmare realm of 100% vampiric corruption as far as the eye can see. Ironically, though, I think the Tomb Kings patch might make Kroq-Gar's ME start even worse.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

Actually having to time it yourself is what's strange about it. Why can't you just press the bomb button and click on a spot that is to be bombed?

I guess it's because of the delay in getting there or whatever. Even if you click a unit and it moves away you might not get the big money. The bomber has such a big spread you can blast multiple units and strafe since there's almost no wait on the next bombs. I usually wait for the engagement, then bomb the poo poo out of whatever my warriors are locked with for an early advantage. Then the bomber is just an irritating flyer plinking at things, but you've got the most out of the bombs which are what you're paying for.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

Consider yourself lucky. In the current state of the game the area around Khemri is a nightmare realm of 100% vampiric corruption as far as the eye can see. Ironically, though, I think the Tomb Kings patch might make Kroq-Gar's ME start even worse.

That will be three legendary lords with very little else to do other then kill each other.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, it's going to be Settra or Arkhan to start for me just because of where they are.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunt11 posted:

That will be three legendary lords with very little else to do other then kill each other.

4 Arkhan is there too and has no reason to like Settra. Skaven are also getting a Auto Resolve Boost so Queek may actually be able to build a pretty strong power base down there. Turning it into a pretty aggressive 4 way fight between Kroq Gar, Queek, Arkhan and Settra.

We also know that up in Naggarond Tretch and Khatep will be up there to cause trouble for Malekith and Morathi.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hunt11 posted:

Kroq-Gar will need to go through Khalida who will need to go through Queek, who is right beside Settra who is pretty close to Arkhan.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

This is good, I like varied enemies at the start. My issue with Empire is it can take a long time until you are fighting wars against the stranger factions, but the first time you halberd a t rex or exchange cannon fire with a stedadon is two thumbs up from me. If playing Kroq'gar means getting a LL kill buff and less vampire poo poo everywhere it will be a good day in the southlands.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JBP posted:

I guess it's because of the delay in getting there or whatever. Even if you click a unit and it moves away you might not get the big money. The bomber has such a big spread you can blast multiple units and strafe since there's almost no wait on the next bombs. I usually wait for the engagement, then bomb the poo poo out of whatever my warriors are locked with for an early advantage. Then the bomber is just an irritating flyer plinking at things, but you've got the most out of the bombs which are what you're paying for.

My problem is that gyrobombers and flame phoenixes are like if you brought an artillery piece that literally did not function unless you entered manual fire mode. It's not really impossible or even difficult to pull off, but it's an irritant that makes me prefer to bring different units, especially given the huge cost and vulnerability of gyros and flame phoenixes. If I'm going to spend a bunch of micro on something I'd rather spend it on chariots or shock cav, who are significantly more reliable and aren't limited to a handful of shots per battle.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

turn off the TV posted:

Kroq-Gar will need to go through Khalida who will need to go through Queek, who is right beside Settra who is pretty close to Arkhan.

Oh yeah in Mortal Empires Khalida will be there too it will be even more a cluster. The Orcs will be really close too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

PartyElite is having a real hard time fighting the Lizardmen as Khalida. Looks like those weak tier 1 infantry are a major weakness. Even in fights he wins, his front line crumples.

Last battle I watched he lost several 2 skelly sword vs 1 saurus matchups.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LLSix posted:

PartyElite is having a real hard time fighting the Lizardmen as Khalida. Looks like those weak tier 1 infantry are a major weakness. Even in fights he wins, his front line crumples.

Well Kalida can replace all of those skeletons the next turn.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kanos posted:

My problem is that gyrobombers and flame phoenixes are like if you brought an artillery piece that literally did not function unless you entered manual fire mode. It's not really impossible or even difficult to pull off, but it's an irritant that makes me prefer to bring different units, especially given the huge cost and vulnerability of gyros and flame phoenixes. If I'm going to spend a bunch of micro on something I'd rather spend it on chariots or shock cav, who are significantly more reliable and aren't limited to a handful of shots per battle.

Yeah I get this for the flame phoenix, but a gyrobomber can wipe out have the enemy's front line in a few seconds of bombing. If you've got elite infantry that have clumped up or are overlapping in any way, you can blow up the opponents core with little effort.

e: you can also just make it a group, give it a flight plan with shift-move then press whatever number and smash bombs when it hits the spot.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 22, 2018

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Kalida can replace all of those skeletons the next turn.

Well sort of. Even if they're free, it still takes time to replace 10-12 units of skellymans, and makes it harder to press the advantage instead of just letting the AI rebound.

They definitely look like they'll hit a tipping point where you'll have enough armies and recruitment buildings that your forces are basically unstoppable but early-mid game with Tomb Kings should be interesting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LLSix posted:

Saurus are good, skeletons aren't.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
I haven't played Kroq-Gar yet and I'm really looking forward to it. In my current campain as Clan Mors, I got into a war of annihilation with him very early for that essential Skaven farming land he starts with.

Ended up being very glad I fought him before there were more giant dinosaurs involved, the basic sauros infantry is stubborn and very killy. It was sorta awesome watching their heroic onslaught against the numerically superior rat hordes. That one Stegadon(?) Kroq starts with ended up surviving multiple battles and killing around 500 rats before I finally took it down with a warp lightning cannon :black101:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Everything Saurus and higher will get stuck on your Clanrat walls and die to Globe Throwers until you can graduate to Warp Lightning Cannons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Everything Saurus and higher will die to your clanrats because you have 4x as many clanrats as they have sauruses and your lords all have clanrat bonuses.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

I have played a lot of Lizardmen and saurus warriors do horrible things to skeleton warriors.

Edit: Also getting access to the real high tier stuff takes time with a Morr start doesn't have as Kroc'qar will be gunning straight for you the moment the campaign begins.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Stephen9001 posted:

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
Certainly the Skaven did get their corn-bog in the jungle by the end. But man those lizards took a lot of rats with them, I underestimated them at first and didn't 'sufficiently outnumber' them in the initial engagements.

I mostly won because Queek (instead of fighting Kroq rat-to-lizard) took the underway into the jungles and knocked out recruiting centers, while my less experienced warlord threw rat bodies at the problem until it became small enough to deal with. Skaven feel pretty fun on the strategic layer in this game.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

LLSix posted:

This shouldn't be surprising, it's one of the very best basic infantry versus one of the worst. It probably makes more sense to accept that your skellies will never hurt anything, and just get all spears for the extra melee defense. That way your lines last marginally larger before folding giving your more useful units a chance to do something.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

LLSix posted:

He keeps making skeleton warriors and spearmen instead of the higher tier stuff, which isn't even close to capped. He also tore down his infantry building round one.

I'm not at all surprised that he is having trouble. Skeleton infantry are garbage and only exit to die.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The new footage for ' Total War: Warhammer 2 ' DLC ' the Tomb Kings ' released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO5LANoIbx4

Spoiler of what it shows: Settra the Imperishable as she fights Arkham the Black

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 22, 2018

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mukip posted:

3: ai also had a habit of clumping up on Tyrion if you sent him out in front, making even even more archer bait than they already were. CA claims this has been fixed in the next patch

I abused the hell out of this on my Legendary run. It was fun to rain down death on a huge ball of enemy troops who were ignoring my unprotected archers just a few yards away.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thank the horned rat I got lucky with the last ritual sites being clustered near the Mors starting area with one behind the impassable mountains Kroq-Gar starts under. If they were split across all the poo poo I conquered on the western side of the map in a mad dash for warpstone I would have been well and truly hosed, but instead I fled the continent and my one regret was not being able to burn poo poo down as I left.

It's kinda bullshit that you can go to huge lengths to stop someone else's ritual then once they get around to it the second time they jump right up to the next one due to accumulated resources. I was way in front of Naggarond and Lothren but once they finished their #4 they were nearly ready for #5 and I had to start immediately or lose the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has CA said anything about adding naval battles in TWW3? I'm recently over my Rome 2 ramming PTSD.