Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DatonKallandor posted:

The fact that everyone, including pacifists are going to get hit by space pirates and nomadic mercenaries means even pacifists will get to use the cool new war and combat mechanics.

"Us? Fight? Oh, no, never, we're committed pacifists! Why, we even gave developmental aid to those poor, neglected space nomads? Oh? You say they're ripping a hole through your empire now? My goodness, I wonder why they would ever have decided to do that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The only way to ensure peace in the galaxy is to shield every single inhabited planet.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Artist's rendition of the Prethoryn Swarm on encountering a shielded planet:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Is there a way to shield your own capital?

Sometimes the only way to win is not to play at all.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

cant genocide me if I shield all my worlds. Check-mate purifiers :smug:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agean90 posted:

cant genocide me if I shield all my worlds. Check-mate purifiers :smug:

Hello there Spathi. I'm surprised to see you communicating with, well, anyone.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Martout posted:

An argument could be made that with a larger but still trustworthy beta testing crew you'd be able to nail down features and squash bugs better...

*cough*

I'll sign an NDA to help test please :3

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Guilliman posted:

I'll sign an NDA to help test please :3

not an empty quote

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I, too, would like to jump on board the public begging for the private beta test. My credentials are:

- Have played far too much Stellaris
- Can write bug reports using human words
- Will make references to really old 4X games when providing feedback on features

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I do QA for real life things so I think I'd make a good beta tester too. I am really good at reporting errors in descriptive and useful ways!!!

I also suck a mean dick and flick a decent bean

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Because I've been told the person reading the suggestion forums is away and no one reads it currently;

Wiz, Can the new war/claim/border system have a planet specific "weight/threat" factor that tells the AI how much it wants a planet. Preferably manipulatable using scripting. Since we're redoing the border system and war right now I feel this is an applicable suggestion.

That way an event could make a planet really desirable for AI empires. If the weight/threat is high enough it could be a reason for war or expansion. This would also allow your story and event writers to make creative and fun events around that in the future.

Alternatively, perhaps it could work on a system level so when the AI sees an abandoned mega structure or a special world they will expand towards that system. I'm sure this is already somewhat possible but I'd love it if this was possible to be script accessible.

I hope this idea is somewhat alright. I think it could open up the possibility for a lot more dynamic war causes and directions.

Cheers!

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 22, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Seriously just hire Guilliman already

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
also +1 for public beta, i'm a software engineer so ~~~

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

I, too, would like to jump on board the public begging for the private beta test. My credentials are:

- Have played far too much Stellaris
- Can write bug reports using human words
- Will make references to really old 4X games when providing feedback on features
:same:
I will also use QA specific buzzwords with nearly 50% accuracy, and send at least some of my feedback from a real computer.

I mean, it's not going to happen but I can pretend.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 22, 2018

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guilliman posted:

Because I've been told the person reading the suggestion forums is away and no one reads it currently;

Wiz, Can the new war/claim/border system have a planet specific "weight/threat" factor that tells the AI how much it wants a planet. Preferably manipulatable using scripting. Since we're redoing the border system and war right now I feel this is an applicable suggestion.

That way an event could make a planet really desirable for AI empires. If the weight/threat is high enough it could be a reason for war or expansion. This would also allow your story and event writers to make creative and fun events around that in the future.

Alternatively, perhaps it could work on a system level so when the AI sees an abandoned mega structure or a special world they will expand towards that system. I'm sure this is already somewhat possible but I'd love it if this was possible to be script accessible.

I hope this idea is somewhat alright. I think it could open up the possibility for a lot more dynamic war causes and directions.

Cheers!

I'm really hoping that they're retooling war ai alongside the wargoals and stuff. It'd be nice if the AI knew the difference between an offensive war and a defensive war. Right now even if an AI empire vastly overpowers you and declares war on you they will prioritize defending their own planets even if they're being attacked by a single corvette. This makes it really easy to drag out an otherwise unwinnable war without any real.cost to the player

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'd love to see negotiable Neutral Zones.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If I remember correctly on stream they mentioned they thought about it but lack of time is why it's not in the current update.

I'm hoping we see such a thing in the diplomacy future update :D

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I had a neat game ages ago where myself and another empire with pretty incompatible ethics were separated by an expanse of lovely systems neither of us wanted. By the end of the game we were Super Best Buds due to lack of border friction and just generally knowing each other for a long time without fighting.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Does having a non-aggression pact with a neighbor block you from claiming their systems? That'd have a similar effect as a neutral zone, but it's admittedly a lot less cool.

There's no real incentive to leave empty space between empires in game, it's just resources that neither of you are taking advantage of.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
These systems were super lovely. No colonisable planets, one or two minerals per system. Literally not worth the influence. Just this kiloparsec long, two or three system wide wall of apathy and familiarity masquerading as friendship.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Guilliman posted:

If I remember correctly on stream they mentioned they thought about it but lack of time is why it's not in the current update.

Yea, given everything on the stream in regards to such questions points to them having to make a toss between war/ship mechanics on one hand OR diplomacy on the other and them choosing the former, I wouldn't be surprised if we see this eventually. It wouldn't make sense at all with the systems atm, but with something like a similarly big diplomacy/espionage patch that allows all kinds of messing about to happen in these neutral zones, I could dig it.

Also looking forward to the eventual civilian shipping lanes between planets eventually being a thing, now that everyone's unified on Hyperspace travel as the most basic type from the start and that it won't eat up as many resources for the computer. And poo poo...just about everything from here on in. 2.0 Legit has me excited for the game as a whole, something which was only touched upon by Utopia previously, so thanks for biting on the bullet at last Wiz - either way and grumbles aside, I think it is going to be worth it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There's a mod where you can grant planets independence, which I liked because I could set up little buffer states between me and other empires.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This would be great, but Claims looks like a step in the right direction. I spent most of this last game waiting for the big authoritarian empire to my north who spent like 100 years hugging the border of the local xenophobe FE to push a little to hard and get the piss taken out of them, but it just never happened. I managed to survive and maintain independence until now partly by setting up a bunch of distant vassals in the mostly unsettled southwest (playing feudal), but now the first contingency planet spawned in one of my nearby vassals and I think the jig is up. :saddowns:

Now that I think about it, I think this is the first time I've played a game where no Fallen Empires awakened at all since that feature was added.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
To this day I've still never played a game with the Prethoryn Swarm showing up. OTOH I've played tons of Unbidden games and only one Contingency, that quickly curbstomped me since I was so smart in deciding to start a game with increased endgame crisis difficulty.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

CrazyLoon posted:

To this day I've still never played a game with the Prethoryn Swarm showing up. OTOH I've played tons of Unbidden games and only one Contingency, that quickly curbstomped me since I was so smart in deciding to start a game with increased endgame crisis difficulty.

Preythorins are almost all I ever get. I've only gotten Unbidden once in like 360 logged hours, contingency twice (this is the second), and I never got a pre-contingency AI uprising at all.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I love playing as machine intelligences, which means I have a HUGELY inflated chance of seeing the Contingency. I should probably mod the game to remove the boosted Contingency chance from having a large machine empire, just to get some variety.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm tempted to just start another game, but I'm worried Apocalypse is gonna drop like the day after I start it or something :saddowns:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/955487969124732928

Wonder what this means for the edicts that just cost 1 influence/month for as long as they're active.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

Wonder what this means for the edicts that just cost 1 influence/month for as long as they're active.
The one a months are policies, but I see map the stars has been edicted. Really hope they've ditched the +anomaly chance, or substantially reworked anomalies WIZ GIVE US REROLLS.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GunnerJ posted:

Map The Stars is one of those, and it has a price tag in line with all the others in that screenshot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GunnerJ posted:

gently caress yes. The creation of the core sector meaning you only needed to manage one leader rather than constantly checking your planets if someone died and doing math to figure out which leader should go to which planet, was such a good move. Doing the same with most planetary edicts is also good. Obviously stuff like land of opportunity will stay planet-specific though.

Interesting though is the healthcare campaign that costs energy, that's a totally new mechanic.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
vvvThey showed off in the stream that a lot of edicts/policies cost energy now. And so does hiring leaders. It's to remove some of the influence sinks from the game because expanding costs influence for each system and they didn't massively increase the income.

Guilliman posted:

They could use the claim system for it: Let people claim neutral space, and if multiple people claim the same piece they first have to spend claims removing someone elses claim. If you wanted a barrier to someone, you'd just claim the neutral space outside your borders, forcing your opponent to spend way more influence to go in that direction. Cheaper expansion would obviously be preferred, so they'd naturally expand away from your claimed space.

Or the sector system, they would work too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If edict costs don't scale that'll be a pretty big buff to large empires. If they scale with planets then lol small planets. If they scale with pops though...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wish all edicts were a per month cost thing instead of having to click every month. I hope there's an option to auto-renew them/get a notification like with trade deals.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Truga posted:

I wish all edicts were a per month cost thing instead of having to click every month. I hope there's an option to auto-renew them/get a notification like with trade deals.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/955488280879001600

Nobody beats the Wiz

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DatonKallandor posted:

The fact that everyone, including pacifists are going to get hit by space pirates and nomadic mercenaries means even pacifists will get to use the cool new war and combat mechanics.

I hope the new pirate mechanics mean that the scripted event where pirates spawn the moment you build a resource station outside your home system is removed.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Fintilgin posted:

I hope the new pirate mechanics mean that the scripted event where pirates spawn the moment you build a resource station outside your home system is removed.

If I recall correctly that is what triggers pirates to start growing now. It's no longer an event where you pop one station and are done though. You just need to push them back until there is nowhere left to go.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

dominator posted:

Nobody beats the Wiz

owns

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

If edict costs don't scale that'll be a pretty big buff to large empires. If they scale with planets then lol small planets. If they scale with pops though...

Could be - depends if large empires have a lot to spend influence on. Simply getting large will cost a lot of influence regardless.

What I really like about this change - and greater use of energy - is that it increases the fungibility of resources. Influence tends to be the first resource I get bored of clicking on planets to dump, and having an easier way of spending it to generate other resources will help make influence builds much more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

turn off the TV posted:

There's a mod where you can grant planets independence, which I liked because I could set up little buffer states between me and other empires.

Isn't there an option to do that right now without a mod, or did I imagine that?

• Locked thread