Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Flash Gordon is a huge moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Their lawyer is so bad I feel like I'm watching this season's The Flash or Arrow.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sunday!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Perishers (1986)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This face :stonk:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 25, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 25, 1996)

Garfield Classic (June 25, 1986)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drakyn posted:

I won't claim I'm keeping dedicated track of Pros and Cons or anything (thought I DO remember back to when it was called 'A Doctor, a Lawyer, and a Cop') but I feel safe enough saying these sorts of attitudes were more or less part of the strip's DNA from the start, albeit a bit more quietly. When you boil down the three main characters they're 'sleazeball lawyer that helps irredeemable, unrepentant, 100% guilty crooks get back on the streets for cash', 'psychologist that puts up with whiny peoples' stupid, imaginary, self-absorbed problems that they just need to shut up and get over' and 'grumpy ol' cynical cop whose flaw is that he SPEAKS THE HARSH TRUTH when it's impolite or rude to the loving worthless durdling shits around him.'
I always got the impression previously that we were supposed to think Defoe was wrong. But lately all the characters have started expressing similar views and it seems like we're supposed to agree with them. Rhodes has always been an object of ridicule, but I think it was more about him being incompetent than "defending criminals is wrong". Similarly, Peel comes across as a bit of an arsehole, but I never got the sense you were supposed to agree with him. It really feels like the tone of the comic has changed quite dramatically lately.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

:eyepop:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street doesn't update on Sundays, so have one from the backfile.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So I looked it up, and while rhinos can run a little over 30 mph, they can only keep it up for a few minutes before they croak.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Amazing.

Pop Team Epic

Squirrel Nuts

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 24, 1971)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire: KA-ORIGINS! (January 19-24, 2009)

Out Our Way With The Willets/Wash Tubbs On Sunday (March 10 and 17, 1929)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Just want to say that "Pop Team Epic" is my new favorite Japanese comic, and the anime is glorious.

Am thankful I found this comic here.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way With The Willets/Wash Tubbs On Sunday (March 10 and 17, 1929)

Holy poo poo, that Wash Tubbs.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is the same, but different.

Working Daze welcomes our new Alexia overlords.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix has a good point, actually.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

"You lose sight of who likes you for who you really are" the woman who just spent a week talking about how much she fantasised her boyfriend was an animated paedophile snowman says sagely.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Don't try, just veg and build your identity around the food, media and goods you consume. Don't be one of those shallow and materialistic normies!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Wilbur of Cats

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Angular Cyrus posted:

Pop Team Epic

am I having a stroke

where's the joke

do these ever have jokes

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

A brief aside: If you are familiar with Bad Machinery in its original form, than you'll be aware that strips 2 & 3 were actually one strip in the original webcomic, with a different punchline. I believe that the GoComics version may be based upon the updated version for the print collection. For example, Mildred's intro strip back in the Brief Preamble was not in the original comic. You can see the original strip here. I think the change was...probably for the best.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

"Phantom is silent but deadly."
-Old jungle Saying

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Esplanade posted:

"Phantom is silent but deadly."
-Old jungle Saying

For the ghost who farts.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I always got the impression previously that we were supposed to think Defoe was wrong. But lately all the characters have started expressing similar views and it seems like we're supposed to agree with them. Rhodes has always been an object of ridicule, but I think it was more about him being incompetent than "defending criminals is wrong". Similarly, Peel comes across as a bit of an arsehole, but I never got the sense you were supposed to agree with him. It really feels like the tone of the comic has changed quite dramatically lately.

This discussion reminds me of Dilbert chat, where everyone always insists there are these significant differences and changes in tone but every time I actually look at an old one and a new one side by side and compare them they seem exactly the same to me. Is it possible that it's just the interpreting that's changed here? Just a few Dilbert strips ago someone gave a reply that very confusingly seemed to indicate we were supposed to sympathize with the pointy haired boss for instituting a massive surveillance policy in response to sexual harassment complaints against a single person who is too powerful to fire.

Tracksuit

This is based on a fairy tale, which evidently the characters themselves had also heard of.

Always kind of thought the bird was a god or something, not just a regular bird, but then do regular birds have doctors?

Mother From Another Country

The mistake is somewhat more plausible in Korean, since it only requires changing a single vowel sound rather than playing the telephone game with synonyms.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Regarding Pros and Cons being alt-right, I follow the artist Kieran Meehan on twitter as that's the sort of thing I like to do, and the first post I noticed was him pining for the good old days when the BBC wasn't obsessed with "politically correct virtue signalling" (about an old episode of loving Tomorrow's World of all things) and then he retweeted an account called like proud_ulsterman posting an Identity Evropa image macro about how Europe has abandoned the philosophy that brought us cathedrals, for the philosophy that brought us blocks of flats. Guy can still draw though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 26, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 26, 1996)

Garfield Classic (June 26, 1986)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hexwren posted:

am I having a stroke

where's the joke

do these ever have jokes

Not as far as I can tell.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Look Out for That Tree!

So Sam manages to ram the Nazimobile into what looks like the only tree in an empty plain, and then announces he needs a drink. Jam and Brice really are leaning into that "Sam is a hopeless drunk" thing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Is this Pros & Cons thing like that time when everyone was real into One Big Happy and then it turned just a tiny bit harder into the direction it was taking the whole time and people started catching on?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

One Big Happy has a direction?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Is this Pros & Cons thing like that time when everyone was real into One Big Happy and then it turned just a tiny bit harder into the direction it was taking the whole time and people started catching on?

Possibly. They both seemed pretty innocuous until they didn't. I don't know in either case whether those tendencies were always there, but I am fairly certain they became more apparent over time at the very least.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Mr. Squishy posted:

Identity Evropa
welp

hexwren posted:

am I having a stroke

where's the joke

do these ever have jokes

Pastry of the Year posted:

Not as far as I can tell.
I don't know what you mean.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah that's uh :staredog:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm slandering the guy, i didn't see an Evropa watermark. There are other sources of memes asking why we're not building gothic cathedrals anymore.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Mr. Squishy posted:

...about how Europe has abandoned the philosophy that brought us cathedrals, for the philosophy that brought us blocks of flats.

Umm, they're called insulae, and they're a proud part of Roman culture! Maybe if you barbarians stopped strutting around in your trousers you'd learn something about real European civilization! :agesilaus:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

The past few strips have also committed the cardinal sin of Not Being Funny, which might've triggered it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Wizard of Id

Big Nate has been in rerun for like a month now, so i'm not going to post it, but I do wonder what's up with Lincoln Pierce.

Wallace the Seagull

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Skip is happy not being able to climb a single set of stairs without wheezing. gently caress self improvement and better health.