Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tomarse posted:

I've just tried roomstyler and have concluded that it is stupid because it measures all walls from their centres not on the faces so getting an accurate room plan into it is really hard.

Yeah I think that's one of the issues with one or two of the ones I've tried.

The only thing I really need it for is planning a bathroom remodel that is probably a decade in the future but it'd be kinda nice to have the whole house plan in digital form anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There are plenty of sanely-sized, non-terribly-built houses in your average suburb.

What do you consider sanely sized?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

veiled boner fuel posted:

What do you consider sanely sized?

Depends on the size of the family, but generally 1000-1500 square feet wouldn't raise my eyebrows. I'm not trying to make some kind of proclamation about how much space you need regardless of where you're from, though; that size range is based on my own life experience. I'm sure some families would find that ridiculously lavish and others would feel cramped.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our 4-bedroom house is around 1300 sqf with huge closets and a generous front hall. No garage, no basement, no train room.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Our 3-bedroom 1300 sqf house has moderate closets and rooms that are one or two feet short in some key dimension that makes modern furniture problematic. (Like, we're downsizing our queen bed to a full when we need a new mattress.)

EXCEPT the front parlor. Which I use exclusively to drink tea in and sometimes have the ladies over for knitting & wine. That is the only room that seems to be designed to actually house the sort of furniture you'd actually want in that room.

And I love my kitchen-- it's phenomenally efficient for as long as there's one person working it in.

The 2-car garage is nice, though, plenty of room for an above-ground tornado shelter and a car still fits!

Our house is from 1963, so that's part of it.

I've been sticking to vintage furniture as it's generally smaller scale and that's helped. I really do love my Joybird sofa-- after it was done off-gassing, that is. Its proportions are much closer to the scale of the house.

I really do love the layout, but I just need the exterior walls bumped out a foot in the living/dining and master bedroom. Or maybe not-- then I'd end up with a giant ugly couch that would swallow me whole in its over-stuffed-ness.

effika fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 20, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

I see this coming from urban people but have you considered that it's a matter of perspective? From my perspective it's the opposite. I think it's so nice to have a house, to have a yard that I can do things on my time, on my conditions, to have space, peace and quiet, nature is nearby, the kids are always playing outside during the summers. I enjoy this. To live in silence, to see the stars at the night, to live in a smaller, closer society that moves at a slower pace. Maybe this is depressing to you.

I do note that the examples of things to do seem to be things urban people do, so basically the problem seems to be from an urban persons perspective that you can't do the usual stuff you do in town in a low density population area. This is of course true. You don't live in the same way here. People out here tend to have other hobbies and interests, I have a workshop for instance, and now during winters there's a lot of skiing and snow sports going on, in summers and autumns we go into the forests and pick berries to freeze or make jams and jellies for the winter (we don't buy store jam). To be honest around here there's always something happening, local events and groups, people to talk to, visiting the beach, there's more stuff you can do than there is time for so we don't feel bored, right now it's all hectic.

Perhaps what is needed is suburban/rural planning instead, the american suburb seems to be a unique phenomenon that's been badly mismanaged, a dystopian distortion of an ideal that is not compatible with the rampant capitalism your society runs on. Capitalism will always favor cities, the bigger the better. Which is ironic considering the GOP base is rural, literally voting themselves to death...

What you're describing would be considered small town living in the US, and it's dying out from lack of jobs. The suburbs, especially around major cities, are a different creature.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

peanut posted:

no train room.

Where do you put your trains?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

UK house sizes seem much more sensible to me than American, and it's mainly the American new builds that are just comically proportioned.

In the 50's, a new build in the US was 983 square feet (92sqm), in 2004 it was 2349 (218sqm). That's over double the size, and I can't think of any practical reason such space is needed aside from ownership of a second vehicle (which doesn't account for the remainder of the area).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but garage size is not considered part of home size in the US, so ownership of a second (or third, or 12th) vehicle (and a correspondingly larger garage) probably has nothing to do with average published "home" size. Unless maybe the person doing the publishing is using different conventions, i guess.

Along those lines there are some fairly crazy houses in the US, in terms of garage vs living area square footage. Pretty sure a 1200 square foot living area with a 3 car 600 square foot garage is not uncommon at all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, the 1000-1500 number I quoted earlier didn't consider garages or outbuildings. Just the "habitable" space, which for a US home has to be insulated, heated (if necessary), and have electricity, water, and waste water hookups.

I wouldn't say that a three-car garage is common, in fact I can't remember the last time I saw a house with one. Two-car garages aren't unheard-of, but at least where I live (California) most people just fill their garages with more random possessions (or convert them into workshops / utility rooms) and then park their cars outside in the driveway.

My one-car garage has a nonfuctioning garage door. :saddowns:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wanna do a sociology masters solely on garage size and usage. I lived in Alaska for 6 years and off the top of my head, where i lived, I'd say that the number of people that actually ever parked a car in their garage was only 30%, the number of people that parked 2 cars in their 2 stall garage was maybe 3%, and the number of people that turned their garage into living area by permanently shuttering the garage doors was probably 20%.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

veiled boner fuel posted:

I wanna do a sociology masters solely on garage size and usage. I lived in Alaska for 6 years and off the top of my head, where i lived, I'd say that the number of people that actually ever parked a car in their garage was only 30%, the number of people that parked 2 cars in their 2 stall garage was maybe 3%, and the number of people that turned their garage into living area by permanently shuttering the garage doors was probably 20%.

I lived in an old 1950's apartment building that had about 40 units but only 12 garages along the back, all in an neighbourhood where street parking is something people fight over. Garages in my building were $75 extra a month on your rent, and we were lucky enough to get one for our car. Every apartment came with quite a generous storage room as well, standard.

I'd say about 50% of the garages in my building were simply full of typical suburban-house garage storage clutter. People were parking on the street a block away because they had bought some new furniture a year ago and stored the excess in their garage because they haven't figured out what they were going to do with it. People who had moved in from a house and had more furniture than they needed had piled it all up in their garage and just never wanted to deal with it. Some people that had lived in the building for 10+ simply outgrew their storage unit with their accumulation of thing and had to send their car out into the street because there was simply no other place to store all their junk. I just don't get it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Y'all look at this ridiculous house.

this master suite tho

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm lolling at the 14" analog tv mounted next to the in-suite waterfall sculpture.
Everything else is amazing but I can't imagine living in something that pretty every day... maybe as an onsen hotel, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I'm torn between thinking this is awesome and thinking it's terrible. Of course it's ludicrously huge for a bedroom, but I love those gigantic skylights, but would that maybe make it be too bright at night to sleep well?

Obviously those kinds of practicality questions did not factor into the design of this house in the slightest. It really does feel more like a resort lodge than a place anyone would actually live in.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love it and would gladly live there with at least five of my best friends.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I love it and would gladly live there with at least five of my best friends.

Same. It's kind of dated in a horrible way but there' some weird charm to it for me. It reminds me of my distant uncle who was kinda rich [read credit card debt up the wazoo] so his house was pretty decked out with all the latest tech and designs the 90s could offer.

Also,

Tag yourselves. I'm the small duck army that obeys Queen Refurb! Quack!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I think that house has great bones, but the decorating is atrocious.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

Y'all look at this

Reminds me a little bit of this house with its indoor/outdoor rock outcrop, which was for sale and I would have loved to buy.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/7280662_zpid/globalrelevanceex_sort/39.564644,-119.762152,39.562091,-119.765996_rect/18_zm/

Hauling groceries 100 yards from the garage to the house would kinda get old though I'd imagine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Needs a large-bore pneumatic delivery system. Big enough to ride in.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

cakesmith handyman posted:

Needs a large-bore pneumatic delivery system. Big enough to ride in.

What doesn't?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Your mother.

:v:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I will make an exception to my hatred of Words On Walls for this
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd_m4AOgyyW/

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I dunno, she needed a c-section for me. Delivery via pneumatic tube might have been more convenient at the time.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

I will make an exception to my hatred of Words On Walls for this
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd_m4AOgyyW/

This kind of sentiment is how postmodern art keeps going.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh gently caress. You know what I now need? A small vinyl sticker for my toilet that's 'R.Mutt'. Now that is some real and true wall word art. I wonder if that legit exists.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

value-brand cereal posted:

Oh gently caress. You know what I now need? A small vinyl sticker for my toilet that's 'R.Mutt'. Now that is some real and true wall word art. I wonder if that legit exists.

http://www.alexgarnett.com/product/conceptual-crap-toilet-sticker

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I see this coming from urban people but have you considered that it's a matter of perspective? From my perspective it's the opposite. I think it's so nice to have a house, to have a yard that I can do things on my time, on my conditions, to have space, peace and quiet, nature is nearby, the kids are always playing outside during the summers. I enjoy this. To live in silence, to see the stars at the night, to live in a smaller, closer society that moves at a slower pace. Maybe this is depressing to you.

I do note that the examples of things to do seem to be things urban people do, so basically the problem seems to be from an urban persons perspective that you can't do the usual stuff you do in town in a low density population area. This is of course true. You don't live in the same way here. People out here tend to have other hobbies and interests, I have a workshop for instance, and now during winters there's a lot of skiing and snow sports going on, in summers and autumns we go into the forests and pick berries to freeze or make jams and jellies for the winter (we don't buy store jam). To be honest around here there's always something happening, local events and groups, people to talk to, visiting the beach, there's more stuff you can do than there is time for so we don't feel bored, right now it's all hectic.

Perhaps what is needed is suburban/rural planning instead, the american suburb seems to be a unique phenomenon that's been badly mismanaged, a dystopian distortion of an ideal that is not compatible with the rampant capitalism your society runs on. Capitalism will always favor cities, the bigger the better. Which is ironic considering the GOP base is rural, literally voting themselves to death...

I totally agree and look for all of this in my second home aka “camp”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think I just discovered that America and Canada don't have villages, which is a bit alien to me but you can understand how 20 colonists setting up on their own would have a bad time . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village

A lot of European towns and cities are a collection of villages which have expanded so much the gap between them has closed. Some towns, like mine, haven't had the gaps close completely but for the sake of administration they are all part of the same town. The people living in the latter areas still consider them to be separate villages though.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

learnincurve posted:

I think I just discovered that America and Canada don't have villages, which is a bit alien to me but you can understand how 20 colonists setting up on their own would have a bad time . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village

A lot of European towns and cities are a collection of villages which have expanded so much the gap between them has closed. Some towns, like mine, haven't had the gaps close completely but for the sake of administration they are all part of the same town. The people living in the latter areas still consider them to be separate villages though.

Usually when expansions like that happen in America you get one of two outcomes
A) the small town is consumed and effectively stops being a thing. After 20 years no one gives a gently caress that your suburb was once Davestown, but is now part of Hanksburg.
B) the small town fights fiercely enough to continue to be it's own municipality that the larger town eventually surrounds it so you end up with like a 5 square mile patch of bullshit where I can't get Google Fiber even though the larger city has it right up the loving road. GODDAMNITHSDKJFSKDLFKSDLKFJSDKFJ!!!!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What? That article doesn't just talk about villages in the US, it also links to Village (United States). I'm from New England and our history is basically exactly "20 colonists setting up on their own" and then expanding until they run into their close neighbors.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do you still have them in New England or has everything closed up now?

I know, I know, America Big so what's normal one end of the country will be radically different the other end :).

Edit: the English setting up villages in a place they named New England is the most English thing I've ever heard of.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

I just...what? You think the US doesn't have settlements of a couple hundred people?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I mean, we don't generally call them villages

but they totally fit all the requirements of being villages

we just call them towns

or housing developments

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I said “I think” right at the start because someone told me they didn’t, which is why I asked. :/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

8one6 posted:

Usually when expansions like that happen in America you get one of two outcomes
A) the small town is consumed and effectively stops being a thing. After 20 years no one gives a gently caress that your suburb was once Davestown, but is now part of Hanksburg.
B) the small town fights fiercely enough to continue to be it's own municipality that the larger town eventually surrounds it so you end up with like a 5 square mile patch of bullshit where I can't get Google Fiber even though the larger city has it right up the loving road. GODDAMNITHSDKJFSKDLFKSDLKFJSDKFJ!!!!

It's funny but the small municipalities here in my region that haven't been gobbled up all perform better than the ones that were incorporated into bigger units. I think they went from being centres of local society, albeit small ones they were, into being periphery. And the people deciding about funds moved further away and cared less about this far away place.

The small municipalities here formed a joint publicly owned company that has laid down fiberoptic cable since the late 90s, thanks to them I got fiber straight into my house.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

learnincurve posted:

I said “I think” right at the start because someone told me they didn’t, which is why I asked. :/

Did he also tell you dogs can't look up

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

Did he also tell you dogs can't look up

This one's true though.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Need to watch more American media for insight into our culture and lifestyle. Start with My Cousin Vinny.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

there wolf posted:

Need to watch more American media for insight into our culture and lifestyle. Start with My Cousin Vinny.

Then watch "Pink Flamingos"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Then watch "Pink Flamingos"

Nah, too much time spent with those illegal baby mill people in their terrible urban environment.