Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Arivia did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

There’s also nothing about forgotten realms that prevents you from making good stories that take place there.
Could have fooled me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, I'll say this much, Mask of the Betrayer immediately got a thousand times more interesting and engaging by virtue of handling the more metaphysical aspects of the setting instead of casting you as another shitfarmer who travels the Sword Coast.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Andrast posted:

There’s also nothing about forgotten realms that prevents you from making good stories that take place there.

Mask of the betrayer is loving awesome and that’s forgotten realms.

You can still do more with better settings. Or at least, there's a lot of stories out there that can't be told well in Forgotten Realms.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Eh, it would have been Forgotten Realms poo poo.

No I mean doing a WoW tabletop game just this time in 4e instead of d20

That way unlike the 3e version the classes could have had their actual abilities instead of having mages cast tenzer's floating disc or some poo poo

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ettin posted:

It's World of Warcraft :ssh:
[the keening wail of a thousand butthurt goons in the distance]

Serf
May 5, 2011

Looks like Atomic Overmind is partnering with Stolze to put out a 2-book new edition of Reign. It's gonna be on Kickstarter in February apparently.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/955153201434525696

Wise words from our friend Mike Mearls

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The sentence is real weird but it looks like he's saying "Grognards Go Home"?

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

the irony comes from his association with the sort of subhuman garbage that he claims to be against

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

dwarf74 posted:

Funny how many of the same "designers" who insist on gatekeeping via exposing accusers to their abuser also have an LGBT flag on their twitter icon as if it's some get out of jail free card.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
This seems like the best place to ask - i'm looking to get a folding gaming table for Necromunda / Bloodbowl / Hobbit and 40k. I found this:

https://www.urbanmatz.com/p/237/6-x4-folding-table

Has anyone got any experience with this or know of a better place to get a table? I'm in the UK.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Andrast posted:

Mask of the betrayer is loving awesome and that’s forgotten realms.

Like a lot of D&D stuff, Forgotten Realms is fine if you ignore the vast majority of it in favour of focusing on the specific stuff you like. But that is of course damning with faint praise. In my experience, anything good about the Forgotten Realms can be cut out and dropped into another setting with little or no friction.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MrFlibble posted:

This seems like the best place to ask - i'm looking to get a folding gaming table for Necromunda / Bloodbowl / Hobbit and 40k. I found this:

Has anyone got any experience with this or know of a better place to get a table? I'm in the UK.

I have no experience with any of that, sorry. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MrFlibble posted:

That looks like the type of table they use at the game store I go to, and they're pretty solid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So how long until we find out Mearls is a sex pest

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So how long until we find out Mearls is a sex pest

I mean, having seen how he looks like, I would not at all be surprised if he sexually harassed women. Not accusing nor, especially not, defending, just saying that he definitely looks like the type of guy who would pull that kind of atrocious stuff.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

I mean, having seen how he looks like, I would not at all be surprised if he sexually harassed women. Not accusing nor, especially not, defending, just saying that he definitely looks like the type of guy who would pull that kind of atrocious stuff.
Can we not?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mearls courting the worst elements of the hobby is bad enough, I don't need to make up conspiracy theories about him.

Mearls can't rape anyone anyway because he's still trapped in a giant wet paper bag after a tragic game design accident.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Serf posted:

i'll take a lovely setting if it has a good system

I also like Mario + Rabbids.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Halloween Jack posted:

Like a lot of D&D stuff, Forgotten Realms is fine if you ignore the vast majority of it in favour of focusing on the specific stuff you like. But that is of course damning with faint praise. In my experience, anything good about the Forgotten Realms can be cut out and dropped into another setting with little or no friction.

Given that at least some of the Forgotten Realms backstory was literally cut out of another fantasy game that TSR acquired the rights to in the eighties and pasted into FR it's only fair that the same happen to it, really.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sion posted:

Funny how many of the same "designers" who insist on gatekeeping via exposing accusers to their abuser also have an LGBT flag on their twitter icon as if it's some get out of jail free card.

I wonder what the over/under is on whether their company "politely asked" them to make these statements so that the company continues to look good via performative justice, or if they actually made these kinds of statements of their own accord.

Serf
May 5, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

I wonder what the over/under is on whether their company "politely asked" them to make these statements so that the company continues to look good via performative justice, or if they actually made these kinds of statements of their own accord.

there is no doubt in my mind that mearls believes he is a good person and an ally or some poo poo because that's what people like him tell themselves. guaranteed no one asked him to make the tweet, he did it because its something that a good person would totally do, and how could he ever be anything other than that?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Didn't Mearls at one point make a tweet about how a bunch of people being honored with awards at some convention or another weren't real game designers or something? Among them being Mike Pondsmith?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Didn't Mearls at one point make a tweet about how a bunch of people being honored with awards at some convention or another weren't real game designers or something? Among them being Mike Pondsmith?

iirc he said something about how it was a list of names that no one knew and yeah pondsmith was on there

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Personally, I'm fine with a better environment for women in tabletop gaming, and am glad that Mike Mearls and Wizards of the Coast have taken a stand to support it. I don't know why that's so controversial.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bedlamdan posted:

Personally, I'm fine with a better environment for women in tabletop gaming, and am glad that Mike Mearls and Wizards of the Coast have taken a stand to support it. I don't know why that's so controversial.

I can't imagine being so desperate to post dumb poo poo like this that you'd repeatedly spend ten bucks to do so even after being told to gently caress off and go somewhere else.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It was a response to the gender parity on the Industry Insider panels for GenCon 2016. Pretty sure it was Tarnowski, tho, not Mearls.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It was a response to the gender parity on the Industry Insider panels for GenCon 2016. Pretty sure it was Tarnowski, tho, not Mearls.

Nah, Mearls may not have made it (I don't think it was Tarnowski who did but heck, maybe it was) but I very clearly remember him agreeing with it because it was so very blatantly a Dumb Mike Mearls thing to do.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I can't imagine being so desperate to post dumb poo poo like this that you'd repeatedly spend ten bucks to do so even after being told to gently caress off and go somewhere else.

It’s not dumb at all. Gatekeeping is a problem with a lot of media nerds enjoy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

Given that at least some of the Forgotten Realms backstory was literally cut out of another fantasy game that TSR acquired the rights to in the eighties and pasted into FR it's only fair that the same happen to it, really.
Woah, really? What game?

It would be fun as hell if TSR had gone around buying out all the D&D heartbreakers that failed to compete with it. Some of them had ideas worth folding into the big weird D&D multiverse.

If I run another more-or-less conventional D&D game, I'll probably take a lot of inspiration from Pool of Radiance. Which is a good FR thing because it happens in an unimportant backwater region, and is just basically about rebuilding a beleaguered city-state and destroying a monster empire.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

Nah, Mearls may not have made it (I don't think it was Tarnowski who did but heck, maybe it was) but I very clearly remember him agreeing with it because it was so very blatantly a Dumb Mike Mearls thing to do.

https://twitter.com/KasimirUrbanski/status/730780490697998336

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Mearls also tweeted about it in a very dogwhistle bullshit way about how it was full of "Industry Unknowns".

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Mearls also tweeted about it in a very dogwhistle bullshit way about how it was full of "Industry Unknowns".

Here's the tweet in question:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Flavivirus posted:

Note the @lewpuls he's responding to is Lew Pulsipher, an ancient grognard who got his start running Diplomacy play-by-mail 'zines in the 1960s and whose last published game design was in 1986, who was wondering why he'd never heard of any of the panelists.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Isn't Diplomacy basically designed to make you horrible?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah, it owns.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
One of my best friends from high school - Doug - is the reigning world Diplomacy champion.

We played it once, I think, about 20 years ago. I don't remember how far we got, and I realized it was really not my thing. :) I think we always had a lot more fun playing D&D, Earthdawn, and - horror of horrors - Mythus, before we knew any better.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Flavivirus posted:

FMguru posted:

Note the @lewpuls he's responding to is Lew Pulsipher, an ancient grognard who got his start running Diplomacy play-by-mail 'zines in the 1960s and whose last published game design was in 1986, who was wondering why he'd never heard of any of the panelists.

Yeah there we go, I knew it was someone else Mearls was replying to instead of Tarnowski though I'm not at all surprised he had to weigh in too (lol at calling Maximum Mike a "douchebag with delusions of grandeur"). While I suppose you could squint your eyes and claim that Mearls' casual dismissiveness of the these panelists isn't really "gatekeeping" since he isn't actively attempting to keep them away from the convention, merely denigrating them and their accomplishments in a very passive-aggressive sort of fashion along with a bunch of grognard shitheads, I'm gonna say it's close enough for the judges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dwarf74 posted:

One of my best friends from high school - Doug - is the reigning world Diplomacy champion.

We played it once, I think, about 20 years ago. I don't remember how far we got, and I realized it was really not my thing. :) I think we always had a lot more fun playing D&D, Earthdawn, and - horror of horrors - Mythus, before we knew any better.
I've played one game of diplomacy to completion, and it ended with me and a friend with an impenetrable wall across europe, while the other three desperately tried to get us to betray each other instead of just reinforcing round after round after round.

They were so angry, and couldn't understand why we were refusing to push for the win.

But we had already won.