Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Manky posted:

I'm super glad that I've been able to put now about 100 hours into XC2 in a sweet spot: after they patched in better menu controls but before they patched out some of the voice clip insanity
https://kotaku.com/new-xenoblade-2-patch-gets-rid-of-the-games-funniest-li-1822249569

Gone, but not forgotten *shakes head*

ManSedan posted:

I’m loosely considering Xenoblade for when I finish Mario. One of the things keeping me on the fence is the QoL complaints. What kind of improvements are we talking about?

It used to that there were a lot of unskippable voice lines and menus and stuff when you were setting your extra blades off to go do something, and now you can just mash through it. It's hard to really explain unless you've played it, but it's a *lot* better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ManSedan posted:

I’m loosely considering Xenoblade for when I finish Mario. One of the things keeping me on the fence is the QoL complaints. What kind of improvements are we talking about?

I think they're pretty well listed in the patch notes, somebody correct me if not. The really good ones were in 1.1.1:

Made adjustments to improve the stability of performing certain actions.
Due to these adjustments, time required for Skip Travel and loading event cut scenes has become longer in some instances and shorter in others.
Added an Easy difficulty to the Tiger! Tiger! mini game.
Added a new size of map to the mini map.
Pressing X when in the field to open the Skip Travel screen, the map of your current location will open.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28012/~/how-to-update-xenoblade-chronicles-2

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

THINK YOU CAN TAKE MEEEEEEEE!!!!!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Manky posted:

I think they're pretty well listed in the patch notes, somebody correct me if not. The really good ones were in 1.1.1:

Made adjustments to improve the stability of performing certain actions.
Due to these adjustments, time required for Skip Travel and loading event cut scenes has become longer in some instances and shorter in others.
Added an Easy difficulty to the Tiger! Tiger! mini game.
Added a new size of map to the mini map.
Pressing X when in the field to open the Skip Travel screen, the map of your current location will open.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28012/~/how-to-update-xenoblade-chronicles-2

I got the game after that patch came out, so I didn't even notice this one. I'm talking about another more recent patch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Chieves posted:

Won't somebody think of the corporations???

this post is so good that I'm gonna print it out and tape it to my Labo robot fists so I can always remember how hard-hitting and powerful it was

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Evil extermination I have faced but my Labo ropes they hardly ever miss

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Evil extermination I have faced but my Labo ropes they hardly ever miss

They hardly ever miss!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I dreamed I built a cardboard fishing pole in my Maidenform bra!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

THE loving MOON posted:

I got the game after that patch came out, so I didn't even notice this one. I'm talking about another more recent patch.

You can skip through voice lines in menus now so using pouch items or viewing your merc mission results screen is a lot faster

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I finally got 3 blades each and cancel each art and now I'm just wrecking poo poo and pulling of special combos all over the place. Xenoblade blade rocks!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nevermind, wrong thread.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alan_Shore posted:

I finally got 3 blades each and cancel each art and now I'm just wrecking poo poo and pulling of special combos all over the place. Xenoblade blade rocks!

Yeah it takes a little while to get to that point but combat loving rules when you're dropping level 3 specials within like 10 seconds of starting a fight

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I got my Switch back pretty quick after sending it in to Nintendo. The right side of the screen was budging out a bit,they fixed it nicely, did it right. This is like an ebay review, but I'm posting it in this thread instead. Not that I did this, but you can throw your Switch like a boomerang with confidence, Nintendo will fix it up right.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Nintendo is pretty up there in terms of warranty repairs. Even their refurbished systems don't even seem refurbished.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Xenoblade has a bunch of really stupid design decisions clearly caused by rushing the game out, the patches are slowly fixing some of the stupidest stuff like making the minimap not garbage, making the full map actually tell you where you are instead of making you go through menus guessing, and recently making menus quicker by letting you skip 10 second unskippable voice stuff that REALLY adds up when you're flipping through menus.

Unfortunately a lot of the stupidest stuff is so deeply ingrained into the game a little patch can't fix it, like the sidequests being like 5 quests stitched together with random skill checks that are 100% based on RNG and whether you have unlocked and leveled blades (the unlocking is totally random). There's even a bit in the main story where you can't enter a dungeon required to progress unless you have certain skills and there's no guarantee you have them.

I like a lot about the game but it has some major problems

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hope Dark Souls switch has a better solution than bumping you to the title screen every time you go in sleep mode but I'm not holding my breath.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I hope Dark Souls switch has a better solution than bumping you to the title screen every time you go in sleep mode but I'm not holding my breath.

Why would it dump you to the title screen every time?

Bloodborne handles PS4 rest mode just fine.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Xenoblade has a bunch of really stupid design decisions clearly caused by rushing the game out, the patches are slowly fixing some of the stupidest stuff like making the minimap not garbage, making the full map actually tell you where you are instead of making you go through menus guessing, and recently making menus quicker by letting you skip 10 second unskippable voice stuff that REALLY adds up when you're flipping through menus.

Unfortunately a lot of the stupidest stuff is so deeply ingrained into the game a little patch can't fix it, like the sidequests being like 5 quests stitched together with random skill checks that are 100% based on RNG and whether you have unlocked and leveled blades (the unlocking is totally random). There's even a bit in the main story where you can't enter a dungeon required to progress unless you have certain skills and there's no guarantee you have them.

Yup. For me the biggest problems are that the blade system, from the gacha to the merc missions to the skill checks, is completely hosed and needed to be torn out by the roots and rebuilt from the ground up into something actually appropriate for a single player RPG. It sucks and grinds the game to a halt over and over.

Another major problem is they needed an editor to go over the script, badly. Almost every cutscene is twice as long as it needs to be and usually consists of characters repeating themselves over and over. There's good stuff in there but way too often I zone out and grab for my phone in the middle of a cutscene I WANT to watch, but the characters are just repeating the point they already arrived at, but I don't want to skip ahead because I don't know if something different is about to happen.

The zones are cool, the characters are fun and charming, and the plot has some neat moments, but as I've said this continues to be a series near the top of my list of "games I like but would never recommend to someone I know".

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 22, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does it? I could have sworn it disconnects you and bumps you out of the game, as well as Dark Souls 3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Andrast posted:

Why would it dump you to the title screen every time?

Bloodborne handles PS4 rest mode just fine.

It didn't when it first came out, but they fixed it.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

veni veni veni posted:

It won't. I don't think they're doing any QoL changes with the remaster.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Does it? I could have sworn it disconnects you and bumps you out of the game, as well as Dark Souls 3.

It does. You continue where you left off, no main menu.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Takoluka posted:

this post is so good that I'm gonna print it out and tape it to my Labo robot fists so I can always remember how hard-hitting and powerful it was

it is unironically good because goons are in love with big corporations and regularly white knight them, in trump's america no less

please do tape it on your labo robot fists, it's a great idea

Takoluka posted:

The beta went up recently, and people seem to like it. Obviously, there's a ton of butthurt weirdos who swear that a new Metal Gear without Kojima is going to be awful, despite the fact that he didn't work on AC!D or Portable Ops, which were great.

holy crap man i need to quote this piece of poo poo post again because it's hypnotizing me

"butthurt weirdos", hah, it's crazy how lovely this post is

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Andrast posted:

It does. You continue where you left off, no main menu.

Like Policenaut said, it used to. Although I played it last year and didn't notice that changed so I guess it's embedded in my brain. Is Dark Souls 3 the same deal?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

veni veni veni posted:

Like Policenaut said, it used to. Although I played it last year and didn't notice that changed so I guess it's embedded in my brain. Is Dark Souls 3 the same deal?

DS3 works with rest mode.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Beat Heist, excitedly go to download Steamworld Dig 1, and see it's not on Switch. Sad!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dig is nothing like Heist.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I know that, but I wanted to play the whole series since I had heard really good things about Dig 2.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

antidote posted:

I know that, but I wanted to play the whole series since I had heard really good things about Dig 2.

If you want to play the whole series you'd need a DSi or 3DS for the first one, SteamWorld Tower Defense. :frogbon:

The Digs are really good.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Really really enjoying Darkest Dungeon. It's a game that's hard to put down once I start playing. I may end up getting the DLC for this later on.

I'm also finally playing Zelda and not leaving it to gather dust in my games list. I beat the first divine beast this weekend. :dance:

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I feel like the easiest solution to this is giving you the pre-req blades as a reward for completing another quest earlier in the story. That way people aren't potentially grinding forever to try and finish the story.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

antidote posted:

Dig 1 is honestly not very good. Just skip it and play 2

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Tender Bender posted:

Another major problem is they needed an editor to go over the script, badly. Almost every cutscene is twice as long as it needs to be and usually consists of characters repeating themselves over and over.

Characters repeating themselves... over and over?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I must be missing something, there must be some way to save or at least suspend the game in Stardew Valley other than sleeping until morning. It isn't the 90s.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

antidote posted:

Beat Heist, excitedly go to download Steamworld Dig 1, and see it's not on Switch. Sad!

Funny you mention this:

Feb. 1 - Steamworld Dig $9.99/€9.99

jetpackhewy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 22, 2018

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I must be missing something, there must be some way to save or at least suspend the game in Stardew Valley other than sleeping until morning. It isn't the 90s.

I don't think so dude. The game seems to be designed to be played one day at a time. You can always put the console to sleep mode.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chill Penguin posted:

I don't think so dude. The game seems to be designed to be played one day at a time. You can always put the console to sleep mode.
I can't switch to another game though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kawabata posted:

it is unironically good because goons are in love with big corporations and regularly white knight them, in trump's america no less

please do tape it on your labo robot fists, it's a great idea

holy crap man i need to quote this piece of poo poo post again because it's hypnotizing me

"butthurt weirdos", hah, it's crazy how lovely this post is

I'm a big fan of your movies, Mr. del Toro.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So is Battlechasers ever getting a Switch release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
XC2 was an ok PS2 JRPG. There was a void after finishing GOTY Mario so I sunk some hours in and tried to ignore all the really really bad design decisions before getting skill-gated from progressing and taking a break. Then it was Xmas and summer holidays and now it’s 2018, the year of three handheld Bayonettas, so the path of least resistance is to just sell it off.

• Locked thread