Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Please tell me you just looked at a picture and went for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Cream, spinach, bam.

Am I close?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I like the thrill of the mystery! I looked at the ingredients, kind of.

Rolo posted:

Cream, spinach, bam.

Am I close?

Cream, spinach, mozzarella, spices, and a little yogurt.

It would have been okay if I hadn't oversalted.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I like the thrill of the mystery! I looked at the ingredients, kind of.

Cream, spinach, mozzarella, spices, and a little yogurt.

It would have been okay if I hadn't oversalted.

Please make corned beef without looking it up. Post a thread. TIA.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Croatoan posted:

Please make corned beef without looking it up. Post a thread. TIA.

This would be a fun thread in general if it wouldn’t end up so wasteful.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rolo posted:

This would be a fun thread in general if it wouldn’t end up so wasteful.

poo poo. Now I really do want to do a "Tell me the name/literal translation of your regional foods and I will cook them without looking anything up about it" thread. I'd be willing to tackle one per week, and hope that others could volunteer to grab others as well.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

poo poo. Now I really do want to do a "Tell me the name/literal translation of your regional foods and I will cook them without looking anything up about it" thread. I'd be willing to tackle one per week, and hope that others could volunteer to grab others as well.

I like this idea!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Doom Rooster posted:

Frito Pie :getin:

That’s just off the top of my head.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Alright. Gonna do it. Thread will be up tonight.

Rolo posted:

Frito Pie :getin:

That’s just off the top of my head.

As someone who ate Frito pie three times this month, I would LOVE to see someone completely ignorant of what it is, try to make it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thread is up. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842964

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Loomer posted:

Master deglazing with water, that's what I had to do before moving on to tastier fluids.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

One thing I've noticed when watching other people make pan sauces is they get the pan way too hot. Keep it slightly lower, to where things start to crisp up and blacken but before they burn and smoke, then add your liquid. It shouldn't immediately splatter everywhere, you should have a nice simmering puddle. Scrape scrape scrape while you turn up the heat a bit.

I've taken these tips on board and my sauces have been getting closer to the mark, or at least not completely wretched. Too much heat was scalding the liquid. I've been leading off with water too.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I made three lbs of amazing sous vide chuck roast as an experiment, ate it up. still had left overs.

Three days on and I made lardrons outta datta poo poo.
Put some taco seasoning packet and sushi rice into the rice cooker.

Made some rice bowls with them lardons, quartered cherry tomatoes, green onions, cilantro. Son I'm not ashamed.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

I made three lbs of amazing sous vide chuck roast as an experiment, ate it up. still had left overs.

Three days on and I made lardrons outta datta poo poo.
Put some taco seasoning packet and sushi rice into the rice cooker.

Made some rice bowls with them lardons, quartered cherry tomatoes, green onions, cilantro. Son I'm not ashamed.

You should be. You forgot to invite me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Discovered this morning. I was drunk.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Why your bread be such a angry duck

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why do I always forget to wash the spinach and freeze meat before I use it? Now I have sandy Saag and smelly chicken thigh. :suicide:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Argh, I loving hate that sensation. It's like hitting a funny bone in your tooth.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Got one!

I have a severe dairy allergy, so I've been looking a lot more at vegan recipes for baking so that I don't need to modify anything.

I have an office holiday party tomorrow, so I decided to make snickerdoodles! Never made them before, but how hard could it be?

Didn't think to check to see if cooking with olive oil would be different than extra virgin olive oil... so now I have extra virgin olive oil and cinnamon flavored pancake cookies. :doh:

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 13, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SageNytell posted:

Got one!

I have a severe dairy allergy, so I've been looking a lot more at vegan recipes for baking so that I don't need to modify anything.

I have an office holiday party tomorrow, so I decided to make snickerdoodles! Never made them before, but how hard could it be?

Didn't think to check to see if cooking with olive oil would be different than extra virgin olive oil... so now I have extra virgin olive oil and cinnamon flavored pancake cookies. :doh:

That actually doesn't sound halfway bad. I'd try one.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Midniter posted:

That actually doesn't sound halfway bad. I'd try one.

Same here.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I tried to make chess pie without knowing what it was. Cross post from the "try to make food only knowing its name" thread, which is an excellent thread full of people who did a much better job than my disiastrous attempt.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Having managed to avoid this for my entire life so far, I boiled a pan dry. With eggs in it.

I made my wife an egg white omelet and some stuck to the bottom of my carbon steel pan. It was on there pretty good, so I filled the pan with hot water, stuck it on a high burner, and left it to get up to a boil. Distractions happen, football game starts...

Her: "What's that sound? Is the cat playing with bubble wrap in the kitchen? Teehee that's so cute!"
Me: *smells burning* :stonklol:

All of the windows are open, all of the vents are on, the cat is hiding, and my wife the pregnant super-nose is not happy with me. At least the cooktop didn't crack.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
They tell you that you can just knead in things you are missing from a dough if you happen to forget an ingredient.

This is true for everything but yeast.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Nicol Bolas posted:

They tell you that you can just knead in things you are missing from a dough if you happen to forget an ingredient.

How????? Just....how

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Nicol Bolas posted:

And eggs

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Oh yes, I have done that a few times.

I know the recipe for pizza dough that we use very well, but I forget to put the yeast in around 25% of the time.
Pizza without yeast is not the same...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Not a cock up on my end (except for the top layer coming out a little crunchy at the edges because I had juuuuuuuuuust too little sauce left) but I made lasagna the other night which came out really nice.

I was talking with my dad and mentioned what I seasoned the minced up mushrooms and the ricotta with.

His response ‘Wow, what a great idea, seasoning the ricotta! It doesn’t have a ton of flavor on its own.’

Suddenly it all became so clear why my dad’s lasagna and stuffed shells alway came out so bland and sad. They always were just noodles, plain ricotta, maybe some mozzarella, and jarred Ragu. I use jarred sauce too, but not even a little pepper or even basil flakes or garlic powder or anything.

His breaded pork chops are also literally just pork chops, egg wash and plain breadcrumbs. I’m not sure if these are cockups or disasters to the level of some things in this thread, but him being blown away by seasonings... but then again he makes his own kielbasa and he seasons that up perfectly, so the disparity is just weird.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think that's less a cockup and more of a lesson in the importance of seasoning.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just now, making pickled red onions for carnitas tacos tomorrow.

"That's odd, it looks like the sugar and salt didn't dissolve."
*peers into saucepot, inhales giant breath of boiling apple cider vinegar*

The onions will be just fine, it's my sinuses I'm worried about.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Tonight was the first time I burned a teriyaki sauce. Usually I make it about once every couple of months. Burning it turned it in to basically caramel, I guess. Not fun and I think I might have to buy a new sauce pan.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
My god, a salmon filet with teriyaki caramel glaze? I think you're on to something.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

If you're pulling a pizza covered in molten cheese out of a raised oven and you lose balance and drop it - please, PLEASE don't reach out to catch it.

Let it go.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Tom Gorman posted:

If you're pulling a pizza covered in molten cheese out of a raised oven and you lose balance and drop it - please, PLEASE don't reach out to catch it.

Let it go.

Ahh much like the urge to grab a falling knife.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Tom Gorman posted:

Let it go.

NEVER

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Croatoan posted:

Ahh much like the urge to grab a falling knife.

Or the guy at my job who was spot-cleaning the sides of the deep fryer, dropped the paint scraper into the 350 degree oil, and, well, :gonk:

Grem posted:

Tonight was the first time I burned a teriyaki sauce. Usually I make it about once every couple of months. Burning it turned it in to basically caramel, I guess. Not fun and I think I might have to buy a new sauce pan.

Eeesh. When I was doing dish for the Army, a pot showed up in the dish pit with an inch of some sort of sweet, smoky tar on the bottom. When I hunted down who dropped it in the pit (because we had a loosely enforced policy of "you burn it, you wash it"), I had to ask "what was that supposed to be?" About a gallon of teriyaki sauce that had been reduced to a pint. Best believe I got a Sargent to back me up on that "clean your own hosed up pot" policy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tom Gorman posted:

Let it go.
This is good advice, but it does lead to a particular sadness. Not a raised oven, just a normal household one.

Many years ago, I had made a pizza by piling ingredients onto a grocery-store pizza shell. Of course I piled it high, I was 21 years old and lived alone in a tiny bachelor suite at the back of a house. When I pulled the pizza out of the oven I hadn't opened the door all the way and it started to close when both arms (oven mitts on, of course) were in the oven, gently lifting the pizza off of the rack. The door bumped my elbow and I jumped, causing the pizza to rotate out of my hands away from me and splatter back down onto the oven rack, upside-down.

About 2kg of cheese and every other ingedient I could find that I thought might go well on a pizza hit the still-on lower heating element and started smoldering. I just slammed the oven closed and turned it off.

I ate crappy microwave burritos that night while smelling the most amazingly awesome ruined-pizza smell coming out of my filthy oven and filling my tiny, tiny home.

Telling that story in a taxi from the airport to an acquaintance a month later caused the taxi driver to laugh at me.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Were you sober? Because if I'd done that drunk there'd be a 1000% chance I would've spent forever scooping out my pizza bits and burning the poo poo out of my hands in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if you didn't use a spatula to save what you could

just lol