Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Wait are we going over this again? Wasn't MonsterEnvy the one who didn't believe this stuff last time and so was going to link the discussion to Mearls until everyone, hopefully , convinced him that that was a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

Wait are we going over this again? Wasn't MonsterEnvy the one who didn't believe this stuff last time and so was going to link the discussion to Mearls until everyone, hopefully , convinced him that that was a bad idea?

Yeah, he's a real idiot.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ReapersTouch posted:

A large glass construct that's in the shape of a giant bowl with arms and legs, that tries to grapple people and throw him in his head. Inside the head, is an ooze that's ready to engulf whatever is tossed in.
...are we still talking about Zak S?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm talking about a beloved mascot of a powdered drink mix-in being turned into a vicious dungeons and dragons monster.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

You must do this. It's one of the things that has improved my DMing the most.

Has anyone created an abstraction for spell distance and area, either officially or unofficially? I'm asking because I would be willing to do that. It seems like it would be pretty simple.

If you're asking about actual systems for gridless combat in which position is still tracked more abstractly (including targeting by big attacks), off the top of my head 13th Age, The One Ring, and even Dungeon World do this.

Really it's only a subset of D&D players who insist that D&D can be played gridless with no problems.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 22, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Man, I don't even know how to react to that tweet. Lots to unpack, but projection is the biggest vibe I'm getting from it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

If you're asking about actual systems for gridless combat in which position is still tracked more abstractly (including targeting by big attacks), off the top of my head 13th Age, The One Ring, and even Dungeon World do this.

Really it's only a subset of D&D players who insist that D&D can be played gridless with no problems.

Edge of the Empire too. Lots of games dont come from wargaming naval combat orgins like D&D, hence why so many don't use fixed movement and grid spaces.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ReapersTouch posted:

I'm talking about a beloved mascot of a powdered drink mix-in being turned into a vicious dungeons and dragons monster.

It needs a power that allows it to break through walls.

I meant has anyone abstracted that for 5e. Since Theatre of The Mind was the bill of goods they originally sold, but never followed through with afaik.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Structured gridless combat?

AlphaDog posted:

Combat is divided into notional areas that have nothing to do with the terrain. You can think of it as a track: PC ranged -- PC Support -- Frontline -- Monster Support -- Monster Ranged.

You can move-action between areas on your side. You can't easily cross the frontline.

Combatants on the Frontline can hit each other with regular melee weapons, or they can hit the opposing Support with Reach weapons. Every combatant on the frontline counts as engaged/adjacent with every other combatant on the frontline. If a PC wants to leave the frontline without using Disengage, they provoke opportunity attacks.

Combatants on Support can hit the opponent's frontline with reach weapons. They can missile fire into the opponents Frontline. The can easily reach allies on the frontline.

Combatants at Ranged can engage in missile fire or ranged spells with any opponent.

If a PC wants to get to melee with the opponent's Support or Ranged, they have to come up with a way to do it - they can't just move-action through the fight and get there. Same goes for the monsters. Let them use movement abilities or describe their plan.

AoE effects hit everyone in an area, so you can smash the opponent's Support or Ranged no problem, but dropping anything on the Frontline hits everyone there, allies and opponents alike.

You can add things like "Knock a frontline opponent prone, can make a melee attack against a support opponent on your next turn" or whatever else. Generally say "yes" to players plans and work out how to keep things consistent.

e: For clarity, that wasn't written specifically for 5th ed D&D, but I think the post I was responding to was asking about some kind of D&D.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 22, 2018

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

For most of its history "playing on a grid" was restricted to pointing to where you were on the parties graph paper map with a pencil for most people. WotC pushed a transition towards table maps when they decided to start selling them.

There have always been rules related to it, but it was very uncommon until somewhere along the 3e era.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FRINGE posted:

For most of its history "playing on a grid" was restricted to pointing to where you were on the parties graph paper map with a pencil for most people. WotC pushed a transition towards table maps when they decided to start selling them.

There have always been rules related to it, but it was very uncommon until somewhere along the 3e era.

Yeah, but that didn't exactly come with "no problems" - it's always made it harder to be melee and easier to be ranged/aoe than if you play on a grid (or use rulers and templates, holy poo poo AD&D is different when you try to use certain rules).

e: Unless your DM realised and compensated, of course. If they did, you might not have noticed it was the usual thing that happened.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Rulers are vastly superior to grids and I applaud roll20 for having a gridless but rulered setting

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rulers are a genuine pain in the arse in actual play, but they turn 1st ed AD&D into a good-for-the-time minis skirmish game (assuming someone writes some houserules about base-to-base contact, someone makes up some AoE templates, etc).

That's what I meant by "different". The RAW call for miniatures and rulers. Hardly anyone ever did that. If you do do it, the game is weirdly different. If you do it to the extent that you're moving the minis through the whole dungeon and using the time rules (especially for searching, movement, and spell/light timers), it's really loving cool in a completely different way (and really loving complicated, and god help you getting everything back into place if someone nudges the table).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 22, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd argue that AD&D Combat and Tactics was the first ruleset that had so many grid-related rules that you couldn't ignore them without throwing out most of the book altogether, but I also don't think it's a fair characterization to say that WOTC was a driver of maps and battlefield accouterments - TSR was very much into selling that kind of thing too.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, but that didn't exactly come with "no problems" - it's always made it harder to be melee and easier to be ranged/aoe than if you play on a grid (or use rulers and templates, holy poo poo AD&D is different when you try to use certain rules).

e: Unless your DM realised and compensated, of course. If they did, you might not have noticed it was the usual thing that happened.
The best thing about (indoors) AoE was when young mages first realized that spheres have a LOT of volume. :D

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

DalaranJ posted:

It needs a power that allows it to break through walls.

I meant has anyone abstracted that for 5e. Since Theatre of The Mind was the bill of goods they originally sold, but never followed through with afaik.

AlphaDog posted:

e: For clarity, that wasn't written specifically for 5th ed D&D, but I think the post I was responding to was asking about some kind of D&D.

AlphaDog posted:

I like this idea. Abstracting combat formations could come from looking st games like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy, which are designed to support both really involved and really quick fighting scenarios.

To add on to Alphadog's idea, you could allow melee fighters to run past the other melee line to attack a support, but they take opportunity attacks from the entire line to do so. If they want to avoid taking OAs, they can spend two turns running the long way to the enemy back line and they no longer count as part of the front line of the current party. Alternatively, they can move and dash to make it to the enemy support line in one turn but not be able to attack unless
they have a bonus action.

If the flanking character has a lot of movement, say 10 more than default (ala monks or rogues using cunning action to dash), they can move to the back line by going around the other side's melee people because that's what extra movement would be for in this instance. In this case they only take a single opportunity attack. When you get to 15 or more movement speed you can let them avoid OAs altogether. If you remain on the enemy support line, you're not part of your party's melee or support lines anymore and now you're in range of every enemy on the opposing team.

This sounds complicated but I think the general idea is you could just write "here is who is in what line" on a white board and it shouldn't take long. Fireball or Lightning Bolt hit a whole line OR two or three enemies in either line. Cone effects hit the back line more than the front line. Really specific movement effects won't work, but tell your players they can use those to force enemies into environmental hazards you've described.

That's my quick five minute hack up a rough system, but I'm pretty sure anyone could come up with something more elegant. I would also recommend checking out Shadow of the Demon Lord's Forbidden Rules supplement because it has a simple way of doing gridless combat by establishing "zones" and it even provides conversions for its ranges into zone effects.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Early in 5e's lifecycle, Sly Flourish wrote an article about using "Fate-style zones" to hash out combats.

That said, AlphaDog's post is still more fleshed-out than this is.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I see where you're going, and it'd be a decent way to approach it, but by the time you tack all that on to D&D, you might as well just use the grid. My purpose in using an abstracted, structured system is to get past the "grids slow things waaaay dooooooooown" complaint without going full "eh, just use your imagination".

What I didn't stress in that post but might have said in the original conversation is that the goal is not to replace the grid with an equally detailed set of gridless rules, it's to have a framework for descriptive/narrative combat.

For example:

Someone tries to run through the line by saying "I run through the line"? No. gently caress no. That's the same as "just make it up". You can't run through the front line. Not even with taking OAs. You need to do something to get there.

Someone wants to Shield Push or Trip an engaged enemy and move past them? Yes! You made a gap! You can go through! You don't eat an OA! You expended a resource (ie, an attack or a bonus action), and now you can do the thing!

You killed an opponent and want to move through the line? Not without taking an OA from one enemy frontliner! Your action (not the technical 5e "Action", but the thing you did) means there's an opportunity to get through! The resource cost is potential hit points. The difference between this and the above is that by default you are trying to kill your opponents. A push or trip or something means either you've given up an attempt to kill someone in order to make your gap, or you've given up the opportunity to do a different bonus action in order to make a gap.

Waldo The Wizard just blew orc #3 into a fine red mist, and narrated it as "I'm making a gap!" The next turn is yours and you want to move through the line. Same as above. Move through, but take an OA from one enemy frontliner. Narratively, there's a gap. You didn't expend a resource though - getting a free disengage and then your full action/bonus/move thing would be bullshit.

Waldo etc, Hold Monster to make a gap for you... yeah, move on through, no OA.

You want to utilise one of the above three things next round? No! Opportunities not taken immediately are lost!

It's an abstracted, imagined version of a violent chaotic sword fight , not two lines of people standing there taking turns hitting each other. It's an aid to imagination and creative play, not a set of step-by-step rules that cover all the bases.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 22, 2018

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

AlphaDog posted:

I see where you're going, and it'd be a decent way to approach it, but by the time you tack all that on to D&D, you might as well just use the grid. My purpose in using an abstracted, structured system is to get past the "grids slow things waaaay dooooooooown" complaint without going full "eh, just use your imagination".

What I didn't stress in that post but might have said in the original conversation is that the goal is not to replace the grid with an equally detailed set of gridless rules, it's to have a framework for descriptive/narrative combat.

For example:

Someone tries to run through the line by saying "I run through the line"? No. gently caress no. That's the same as "just make it up". You can't run through the front line. Not even with taking OAs. You need to do something to get there.

Someone wants to Shield Push or Trip an engaged enemy and move past them? Yes! You made a gap! You can go through! You don't eat an OA! You expended a resource (ie, an attack or a bonus action), and now you can do the thing!

You killed an opponent and want to move through the line? Not without taking an OA from one enemy frontliner! Your action (not the technical 5e "Action", but the thing you did) means there's an opportunity to get through! The resource cost is potential hit points. The difference between this and the above is that by default you are trying to kill your opponents. A push or trip or something means either you've given up an attempt to kill someone in order to make your gap, or you've given up the opportunity to do a different bonus action in order to make a gap.

Waldo The Wizard just blew orc #3 into a fine red mist, and narrated it as "I'm making a gap!" The next turn is yours and you want to move through the line. Same as above. Move through, but take an OA from one enemy frontliner. Narratively, there's a gap. You didn't expend a resource though - getting a free disengage and then your full action/bonus/move thing would be bullshit.

Waldo etc, Hold Monster to make a gap for you... yeah, move on through, no OA.

You want to utilise one of the above three things next round? No! Opportunities not taken immediately are lost!

It's an abstracted, imagined version of a violent chaotic sword fight , not two lines of people standing there taking turns hitting each other. It's an aid to imagination and creative play, not a set of step-by-step rules that cover all the bases.

I see where you're coming from; you want to have a system there without losing aspects of the fiction, too. I think Shadow of the Demon Lord's zones thing might better line up with this thinking. And I actually like the idea of the line holding because, really, why should the Fighter have to expend a once-a-turn resources to accomplish holding someone off from moving past you?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nickoten posted:

I see where you're coming from; you want to have a system there without losing aspects of the fiction, too. I think Shadow of the Demon Lord's zones thing might better line up with this thinking. And I actually like the idea of the line holding because, really, why should the Fighter have to expend a once-a-turn resources to accomplish holding someone off from moving past you?

Yeah - it doesn't make melee classes sticky, it makes "the melee" sticky. I think that's a net benefit.

It's not just about the fiction - it's also about speed of play, consistency, and not loving melee characters over - "You have to take 4-5 OAs to do that" really might as well be "you can't do that, try something else". On a grid, that's obvious and sometimes it will happen, and it's 100% transparent and fair. In the kind of weird shared mental map "theater of the mind" that D&D tries to do, it's bullshit that ends up just being "ask the DM if they'll let you" because no group is holding the same grid of 5' squares in their collective minds, with everything in the right position, because that's impossible.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 22, 2018

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd argue that AD&D Combat and Tactics was the first ruleset that had so many grid-related rules that you couldn't ignore them without throwing out most of the book altogether, but I also don't think it's a fair characterization to say that WOTC was a driver of maps and battlefield accouterments - TSR was very much into selling that kind of thing too.

Yeah, I think people also underestimate the influence of Pool of Radiance and the like - every AD&D 2e game we played through the 1990-1995 period used a grid for combat based on the Gold Box approach.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

xiw posted:

Yeah, I think people also underestimate the influence of Pool of Radiance and the like - every AD&D 2e game we played through the 1990-1995 period used a grid for combat based on the Gold Box approach.
Weird. Most of us loved those, but I couldn't imagine slowing down a 1e/2e game that much.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FRINGE posted:

But I think generally when people in this thread say "playing on the grid" they mean paying strict attention to movement distances etc, which has always been a big facet of d&d RAW. These days that usually means a grid because that's easier than rulers. You can ignore it, but the game is still obviously designed with that assumption in mind since dwarves having 5 foot less movement or longstrider giving you 10 foot more are still considered worth spending ink on.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 22, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, uh, weird question here but I'm writing a few short homebrew Battlemaster manoeuvres since there's some obvious gaps and all. Some of 'em are definitely pretty dang strong and so need level gating, but I was just curious what the general thoughts are on using the Superiority Die to determine not-so-much added damage or anything immediate but rather determining the duration of effects. Like, something as simple as hitting a dude really hard to give disadvantage on attacks for a couple rounds or whatever. Or maybe half the roll. or something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's... possible, but remember that fights don't usually go longer than half a dozen turns if that, and at some point you're either inflicting a duration that's so long it won't matter to track it, or you roll a 1 and welp.

The real conceptual breakthrough is to accept that the number on the Superiority Dice doesn't always have to matter in any way.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

So, uh, weird question here but I'm writing a few short homebrew Battlemaster manoeuvres since there's some obvious gaps and all. Some of 'em are definitely pretty dang strong and so need level gating, but I was just curious what the general thoughts are on using the Superiority Die to determine not-so-much added damage or anything immediate but rather determining the duration of effects. Like, something as simple as hitting a dude really hard to give disadvantage on attacks for a couple rounds or whatever. Or maybe half the roll. or something.
Yeah, burning superiority dice for debuff effects is a good way to do it, mauling the enemies and seriously wounding a particular body part should have an effect for a few (3-5 top) rounds. I wouldn't allow more than one of those effects at the same time on each enemy. Disadvantage on attack roll is okay.
loving someone legs should reduce their speed by half for a few rounds.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 22, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dragonatrix posted:

If done poorly you end up with a multiple chances to fail scenario. Let's say you have a high level stun that requires a hit to be allowed spend the die, allows a saving throw once you've spent it, and stuns for result/2 rounds. That's two gates to stunning them at all, and a final one that "feels" like a failure every time you roll 2 or less on your martial die.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A couple of sugestions for an effect’s duration could be “until the end of your next turn” and “the effected target may roll to save against the effect at the end of each of their turns. A successful save ends the effect.” but let the effect (assuming the Battlemaster hits and then expends a die to activate the debuff) last for at least one round.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you're going to guarantee a minimum duration for it so that rolling a 1 on the d12 doesn't screw you over, you might as well disregard the die roll and just give it a set duration.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you're going to guarantee a minimum duration for it so that rolling a 1 on the d12 doesn't screw you over, you might as well disregard the die roll and just give it a set duration.

Just like complex stat roll generation methods vs just using pointbuy!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Sorry, I ended up being pretty busy this weekend but I still want to work on these Travelogues so let’s try this again:

Our players:

Rang of Dipkin - Human Wizard, Loremaster, PoV for the Travelogues

Starke Whislwerd - Half-Elf Druid, Circle of the Land

Saionji Mikano - Human Fighter, Samurai/Battle Master (I gave him some bonus samurai Maneuvers)

Trundle - Human Barbarian

While completing some small jobs together (clearing out goblin dens, defeating local bandits) our adventurers discovered a small, seemingly powerful artifact. The local wizards were of no help identifying it and suggested that they take it to a larger city to find a more powerful wizard to help. The adventurer’s decided to travel to the new city of Eranmor, a city rumored to have gleaned it’s success by exploiting a portal to the Feywild.

Travelogue posted:

Travelogue 14 Mirtul 1493
We arrived at the gates of Eranmor shortly after dawn, and were met by a sight I did not expect. Sickly white walls wet with morning mist stretched in both directions, and a queue of travelers and pilgrims awaited before the gates. The rumors were true. Where once there was a simple river trading village now stood a vast metropolis, the likes of which challenged even the heights of Neverwinter. If not for the truth in front of me I would have not believed it. Perhaps the rumors of a portal to the Feywild in the city could be true as well.
After a short wait, we were waived to the front and asked for our “papers”. Of course we had no such thing, so we were directed to a corridor inside of the city wall and led to a small waiting room. A few others were already gathered, a merchant and his guard, and very odorous, very unkempt man who refused eye contact. We took our seats and were shortly met by an thin older man and a young female gnome, both wearing plain grey robes. The gnome walked to a small podium and introduced herself as a clerk from “The Ministry of Order and Progress”. Quite the pretentious title, in my opinion. The ostentatious name was quickly belittled by her quick announcement of its other name and her inability to control her giggling. “Moop!”, she proclaimed. A quick chastisement from the older man revealed this to be the gnome’s first time leading an orientation. A bothersome task made tedious by inexperience, I feared.
The young gnome began to collect information from us, furiously filling out documents as we replied. The guards worked for group called The Seekers, hired to protect the merchant. The tattered fellow merely groan “Grum” for his name and declared himself from “the woods”. I don’t doubt that, the fellow seemed homeless to me for sure. I introduced myself as Rang, a student of life and the arcane My companions Trundle and Saionji introduced themselves in turn, both proclaiming themselves to be fighters of some renown. Lastly, my friend Starke introduced himself, though he chose to hide his druidic nature. He’d heard his kind was less than welcome in this town. Our papers were quickly finished and we were given a quick introduction to the town and told where we were and weren’t allowed. Specifically the Emerald Square and the Feywild portal. A planar portal, she mentions, in passing, as if it was nothing. Ridiculous!
As we were about to be dismissed, the gnome stopped us short and told us there was one more thing. The gnome produced a small wooden rod engraved with runes from under the podium. She told us she had to check us for “hypersensitivity to natural energies that are abundant in Eranmor” and that it was “for our own protection”. She began to waggle the rod in front of the applicants. First the merchant and the guards, and then our friend Grum. As she moved it back and forth in front of Grum he began to shake violently. The gnomes eyes grew wide, and Grum snatched the stick from her hands. “This is how they’re doing it”, he growled. Grum muttered something in Sylvan, something Starke later told me roughly translated to “No witnesses” and an incredible fight ensued.
Grum filled the room with vines and shot shards of ice into the chest of one of the guards, killing him instantly. We rose and struck him with all our might, and he blew us all back as a thunderous wave blasted from his core. We rose and came at him again. Pushed back he muttered a curse. He merged himself with the vines he had filled the room with and reemerged next to a window. With one last wilting glare, he shifted into a bird and flew away.
It was at this point the the guards finally managed to breach the door being held shut with Grums conjured vines. Seeing the dead body and all of us covered in blood they drew their weapons, but the crisis was averted when the young gnome reappeared and explained everything quite frantically. The captain of the Silver Street Guard, a young lady by the name of Mesdinae arrived on the scene and thanked us for our service. She asked us not to leave the city until the investigation was complete and thanked us on our way. Our papers were gathered from the floor and delivered to us by the gnome and we were allowed to enter the city. In all the commotion it would seem we had skipped our turn with the waggling rod, a boon I suspect was worth the trouble to my friend Starke.
We found lodgings and drank away the rest of the day.
Rang of Dipkin

Travelogue posted:

Travelogue 15 Mirtul 1493
We awoke today full of vim and vigor. I wish. Instead we all awoke hungover and sore from yesterday’s events. Hopefully our second day in this grand city of Eranmor would prove to be calmer. We met up in the dining area of the tavern and discussed the day’s plans. We had come to Eranmor to learn more about an artifact we had found on a previous adventure, an oblong grey stone with streaks of green, bearing runes I did not recognize. The locals directed us to a shop called “The Wizard’s Way”, an upscale establishment near the Emerald Square on Silver Street. Our destination set, we stumbled out of the tavern and into the morning sun.
Finding The Wizard’s Way was no problem at all, as it was the most ostentatious building I have ever seen. Multicolored nonsense runes littered the front of the building and a large windowed front let through a sickly rainbow of colors and flashes. Inside we found racks filled with flaming swords, glowing breastplates, and torches of every color and size imaginable. After a moment a young clerk approached us and asked what we needed. We explained our situation and he smiled as us, saying we needed to speak with “The Wizard”. He lead us to the back of the store and disappeared behind a curtain. After a moment he returned and told us The Wizard would see us.
We stepped through a curtain into a barely lit room, a stark difference from the overwhelming light of the shop. A thick smoke floated in the air, and mirrored walls reflected the light of strange crystal ball placed on the lone table in the room. Behind the table sat a ridiculous looking man. Despite appearing quite young, the man had a long beard that ran to the ground and was a bright white. Dyed, I suspect. He wore a tall pointed cap and a voluptuous red robe. He looked up at us at we entered and in the deepest voice I imagine he could muster he said “I AM THE WIZARD. WHAT DO YOU SEEK?”
Stifling my incredulity, I explained our situation. He took the strange artifact and examined it for a moment before smiling. Of course he knew what it was, he said. “Why this is a dwarven lightstone! You need only speak the trigger word and it shall burst into a bright flame!” He held the stone aloft a spoke some words of magic. Words I knew. The words one speak to invoke a spell of Continual Light. But nothing happened. The Wizard’s eyes grew sharp and angry and he began to yell. He accused us of being sent by someone named Hawthorne, there to disgrace his good name, and began to call for his clerk. I told him we could see our way out and complimented him on his failure of a continual light spell and we left.
On our way out the clerk stopped us to apologize. We inquired about this “Hawthorne” and learned that he had owned a magic shop nearby before The Wizard had run him out. Apparently Hawthorne couldn’t compete with The Wizard’s “great deals”. We resolved to find this Hawthorne and see if he could help identify our stone.

Travelogue posted:

Travelogue 2 - 15 Mirtul 1493
We arrived at Hawthorne’s house in short order. We had met a guard who told us “Hawthorne had helped his son with a thing” and gave us easy directions. We knocked and no one answered. We knocked again and heard slight whispers from inside. Still no answer. We turned to walk away and the door creaked open ever so slightly. A small man in glasses with a short cropped beard and hair peeked through the crack. We explained what we were after, told him what had happened with The Wizard, and he let us into his home. As we walked in I was taken aback by the sheer number of books in the abode. I had never seen so many books in a private collection and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t instantly jealous.
We all sat down and the man properly introduced himself as Hawthorne. He told us that he could identify our item, but we would have to work for it. We agreed to hear him out and his face hardened. He looked directly at us and without hesitation said “I want you to kill The Wizard”. We each exchanged a quick look of surprise. Hawthorne smiled and told us to talk it over and he would get some tea for us, leaving the room.
We were all immediately against it. The Wizard was a charlatan, sure, and I wouldn’t be particularly sad if he wasn’t around anymore, but we had just gotten to this town and an assassination in exchange for identifying an item did not seem like a fair deal. We were discussing simply going to the guards and telling them what had happened here when Hawthorne entered the room. The look on our faces must have belied our intentions as he simply said “I cannot allow you to leave then”.
Hawthorne pulled an amulet out of his robe and placed it around his neck and a loud clang echoed throughout the room. A large suit of armor that had been near the door sprang to life and began to advance towards us. Hawthorne vanished out of sight, an invisibility spell to be sure, and we all stood and drew our weapons. Examining the armor I immediately recognized our danger. This was a shield guardian, a powerful automaton of magic and steel, capable of devastating blows and self repair. This would not be an easy fight, especially with a powerful wizard dancing about us invisibly.
With such dour odds, I turned to intellect over strength. I formed a bolt of fire in my hands and, though it pained me, pointed it at the books. I was sure that he valued them as highly as I did. “Stop, or I’ll burn them”, I demanded of Hawthorne. There was no response. With a heavy heart I flung the bolt at the bookcase only to watch it dispel mid flight as a pixie appeared in front of it. “That’s enough, Trig!” she shouted as Hawthorne appeared beside her with an angry look on his face. “I’m releasing the spell”, she said and Hawthorne shimmered and shifted, turning into a very angry looking sprite. Having lost its host, the amulet slipped away and bounced along the ground. The armor groaned to a halt and we heard the sound of a door opening behind us. A small man in glasses with a short cropped beard and hair stood before us in pajamas. He wiped his eyes, looked at us and said “What are you all doing in my house?”

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 22, 2018

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Had my first session as a dm. Just rolling characters so far. I have one friend who we convinced to play because we thought he would enjoy it. He has told his brother who is also playing that he intends to “torpedo the campaign”

He specifically chose an evil alignment even though we all advised for playing our first campaign it would be a bad idea.

Do I just uninvite him at this point or try a session or two to see how it will go? I think the other players are fired up about playing and I don’t want this one player to kill the fun. Is there a good DM way to handle it in game?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
If he has specifically said he wants to ruin the campaign, kick him out. There is nothing to gain there.

If you're not sure, take him aside and explain how you'd like him to not play an evil character as you are new to all this and it is really hard to deal with opposing alignments in a party. If he won't budge, tell him that this game probably isn't right for him then and invite him to come to a game in the future when you're more experienced.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Don't try to handle that I'm game. Handle it before you start playing. Say it's a team game and "torpedoing" will get you booted out.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can you just let the rest of the party kill him the first time he tries to do something evil so that he learns a valuable lesson about the power of teamwork for if he wants to roll a second character?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I really don't understand why people, when invited to play a game with their friends, immediately go "wow I sure want to ruin this for everyone else."

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Malpais Legate posted:

I really don't understand why people, when invited to play a game with their friends, immediately go "wow I sure want to ruin this for everyone else."

Same reason people troll people on the internet. They're assholes who get off on causing other people frustration. "It's just a prank!"

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nash posted:

Had my first session as a dm. Just rolling characters so far. I have one friend who we convinced to play because we thought he would enjoy it. He has told his brother who is also playing that he intends to “torpedo the campaign”

He specifically chose an evil alignment even though we all advised for playing our first campaign it would be a bad idea.

Do I just uninvite him at this point or try a session or two to see how it will go? I think the other players are fired up about playing and I don’t want this one player to kill the fun. Is there a good DM way to handle it in game?

I think you know the answer to this.

What would you do if the same scenario happened in literally anything except a game of Dungeons & Dragons?

"Hi internet, me and my friends have put together a team to play 5-on-5 basketball. One of the guys has announced that he will only try to score goals for the opposing team, and intends to trip team-mates whenever possible. What kind of strategy should we use to minimise this problem?"

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 22, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ritorix posted:

Adding to that, it's fine, but I would bump the dex to 16, less str/int. You can already use a longbow (elf supremacy) and that would be your go-to attack for a long time, better than ranged cantrips and safer than shillelagh. You can also get 1 point higher AC using studded, +3 dex and a shield, over hide, +2 dex and a shield.

I like the idea of Bow Druid, does the concept have legs beyond level 4/5? I know most of the actual bow spells are locked behind Ranger, but how much mileage can I get with exclusively druid and reflavoring?

Nash posted:

I'd normally suggest explaining why that's a lovely thing to do and let him make a good faith effort to correct but anyone setting out from go with "I'm going to torpedo the campaign" doesn't deserve a first shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
It’s super weird, but this is incredibly out of left field for him. He is usually a super chill guy and up for whatever. I guess that’s why I’m not immediately just tossing him. I’m probably going to have his brother talk to him if he really actually wants to play, or just playing because we asked him.