Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/wangchengchun/status/955364313899843584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Surely that's a bot.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

pgabz has a moustache just like WTFOSAURUS?

Wait a minute........

---

eeee:

Dusty Lens posted:

In Finnish "you move the model around the map" translates to "Fli lori yanz aibl buejor leirut erij" so as an acronym it holds water.

In English I generally agree as Flight of the Conchords suggests a stable flight model but the only time I've ever seen them in space they were absolutely rubbish.

So honestly I'm split right down the middle on this one.

Oh wait, if you remove WTF's moustache you get space nipples. Ok, everything's making sense again.

---

eeeedddiiiiottttt:

For anyone, like me, who quite rightly doesn't know who WTFOSAURUS is, or just kinda wishes they didn't, this is him happily playing Race the Sun

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 22, 2018

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dark Off posted:

a blast from the past. Skadden might be pretty interested in these

I liked how openly ben parry discussed about things, but little did he know about what future brings.
I feel like this would have been quite fine discussion in normal game company, but we all now know that CIG is abnormal. Even telling the truth can turn against it :(
Well, no not really. That particular "truth" was (and still is) bad for CIG because it reveals that the switch to Lumberyard amounts to nothing being changed or gained at all, aside for hoping for support (read: now Amazon guys can do our ship promos, since we burned down Crytek) and maybe adding some networking features (maybe!) in the future.

That "switch" claim is and was ridiculous to anyone who works in software development. Which is why people with software development knowledge couldn't believe what they were reading at the time and insisted that something else must have been going on. Also, it's why the paint drawing thing Perry did as an explanation became a joke in the thread for a while.

Perry might be just an honest person who wanted transparency and to clear things up, but what he said at the time was already against CIG.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

Well, no not really. That particular "truth" was (and still is) bad for CIG because it reveals that the switch to Lumberyard amounts to nothing being changed or gained at all, aside for hoping for support (read: now Amazon guys can do our ship promos, since we burned down Crytek) and maybe adding some networking features (maybe!) in the future.

That "switch" claim is and was ridiculous to anyone who works in software development. Which is why people with software development knowledge couldn't believe what they were reading at the time and insisted that something else must have been going on. Also, it's why the paint drawing thing Perry did as an explanation became a joke in the thread for a while.

Perry might be just an honest person who wanted transparency and to clear things up, but what he said at the time was already against CIG.

I would consider it more of CIG's fault instead of parry's fault. Parry just tried to save the credibility of CIG somewhat. As like you said the switch statement of CR was truly ridiculous.
But alas without knowing it ben said too much. He didnt know the true reasoning behind CR's ridiculous statement.

True reasoning being dumb smokescreen against crytek copyright claims :allears:.
Basically CR wanted to get rid of cryengine agreement as fast as possible.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

If you want an even-handed summary, the Kotaku UK translation of Level’s story about the 24 Year Feud is a good read.

Cheers, I do need to study my Croberts lore. Stranger than fiction and all that. I am upset to hear that film studios duped him. (Looks a good read, I've enjoyed some of the Kotaku UK coverage).

I haven't been blind to all the fun that's been happening, but I'm definitely rubbing my eyes a lot and peering closer now...

G0RF posted:

If these ship numbers are current I might revisit and update the chart. A specific detailed focus on Ships themselves might be especially rich given that Ships are now and long have been their primary business priority. The difficulty in the earlier versions was finding current sources. I opted to use that Kristen-created ship chart that shows groups by manufacturer since backers saw it as authoritative.

That ship matrix page is actually pretty replete in many ways, and has some handy filtering. Bugger to interact with otherwise though. The vast majority of the entries were updated 3 months ago in theory (exceptions are the four 'Hull' ships at 4 months ago, and the land & tonk poo poo 2 months ago).

If you wanna have a go at it that would be cool for sure! I can chuck the little I grabbed at you if it helps. I did ponder doing something with the bazillion caveat statuses, which speak a bit to Scruff's point about whether flyable even equals flyable. IE there are loads of sub-statuses for the concept stages, but also ones for the flight & hangar ready ones like:

'Damage states being mapped': 4
'Update Pass Scheduled': 9
'Update Pass In Progress': 1
'This ship is in game and ready to fly immediately': 6

(I don't understand the last one. Does it mean they don't curl up like tinfoil or exit the game completely? It applies to: Retaliator Bomber / Herald / Vanguard Warden / Vanguard Hoplite / Reliant Kore / Freelancer)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

More like a D pose.

Subtle :golfclap:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

You can use that world Caufield, but I prefer braggadocio myself.

I didn't know you were a half Italian skeleton.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pixelate posted:

but I'm definitely rubbing

That's all you need to be doing.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I really enjoy how when I click to see the profile and other tweets of every star citizen backer that gets posted in here, with the exception of Clifford, they are all insane maga chuds. Gamer gate truly metastasized to destroy the world

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Ramadu posted:

I really enjoy how when I click to see the profile and other tweets of every star citizen backer that gets posted in here, with the exception of Clifford, they are all insane maga chuds. Gamer gate truly metastasized to destroy the world

Which is weird and funny cause Chris Roberts' 8 hour letter to The Escapist claimed that the writer of the article was a Gamer Gate hack out to destroy him. It's like hey dude check your wingmen you're in the wrong formation here.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Crytek legt noch einmal gegen Cloud Imperium Games nach

Google Translate posted:

The facts are clear and Cloud Imperium Games has broken the promise of the agreement. Cloud Imperium Games, for example, had promised to develop Star Citizen with the Cryengine and not with another platform. Now the defendants would even promote a competition platform.

Crytek's copyright and trademark information should be featured prominently in Star Citizen and its marketing materials, which did not happen. In addition, any enhancements and fixes to the Cryengine that were made while developing Star Citizen should have been shared with Crytek. Cloud Imperium Games did not even make a credible attempt to keep that promise.

Google Translate posted:

Cloud Imperium Games dismissal of the lawsuit appears unfounded, according to Crytek, because the arguments are not convincing and many points were not addressed at all.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Bofast posted:

I didn't know you were a half Italian skeleton.

I'm an aficionado of words and my style is sprezzatura chiacchierona, gabbagool!

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Quavers posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/220671107?t=02h06m21s

Bowtie wants in-game STDs. I didn't make this up.:chloe:

e: awkward snipe

much better:

Holy poo poo I called this. I called a thing about Star Citizen !

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

holy poo poo even the germans have turned

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I don't have anything relevant to add to this thread right now, except that if you quote this post you'll add one extra day of Mo-Cap recording to the Squadron 42 dev schedule. 1 like = 1 prayer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXaS1dv_P4

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

trucutru posted:

-Everybody else is just a pre-investor!
-Your investment will grow with the galaxy, right now we have 1/9 of a system... out of a hundred! That's a 900% growth-chance.
-Generations from now, people will see your name attached to the greatest game in history
-Chris would only extend this special one-of-a-kind offer to his most trusted friends.
-And so does Sandi, if you know what we mean.
-Opportunities to invest into a C.R. game have not happened since the 90s.
-Bezos is a fan and wanted to invest but we feel indebted to our real supporters.
-Get this... Citizencoin!
-If you can convince another 2 people to invest, and they convince a mere other 2 people, then, thanks to your upline, you'll be getting more than enough after a mere 17 levels.

-Finally, a qualified investor will be allowed to buy a (ahem), sorry, I am not allowed to disclose this information until the next meeting.

I hear this in Jared's voice.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

holy poo poo even the germans have turned

The real ELE

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

I don't have anything relevant to add to this thread right now, except that if you quote this post you'll add one extra day of Mo-Cap recording to the Squadron 42 dev schedule. 1 like = 1 prayer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXaS1dv_P4

Some of the GoldenEye 64 animations were really fun to watch, like a guard being shot in the foot and dancing around on the other foot. The random idle animation where they act as though a fly is buzzing around their face is cool, too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bofast posted:

Some of the GoldenEye 64 animations were really fun to watch, like a guard being shot in the foot and dancing around on the other foot. The random idle animation where they act as though a fly is buzzing around their face is cool, too.
Most of them were motion captured by one of the lead designers using a pretty technically-primitive system that involved a lot of method acting. You know, poking him with a broomstick to simulate bullet impacts, tying a rope around his waist and telling him you'll pull it on the count of three to simulate an explosion (then pulling on two so he flails in surprise more realistically)... Come to think of it, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark might have just been a really expensive cover for a ritual hazing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

One feet on ice? Yeah, he would break it. Jumping and landing butt-first? Nope, the force would be distributed over too large an area.

Agreed, it's like how people walk on custard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
My theory is that they KNEW the GLA only permitted them ONE game. By switching to LY, they avoid that breach. Except they didn't actually do it.

Also they no longer had to pay Crytek 100K Euros a year for support contract.
Now we're getting somewhere.

Fake LY switch -> split SQ42 = more income = no Crytek support overhead

Then they roll out the SQ42 playthrough, that awful dull thing to sell more SQ42.

They swapped out the logos to fake an engine switch to maximise income from SQ42, not only did it backfire and land them with a lawsuit but the Dec SQ42 video flopped because it was pure cringe.

That's a pretty big risk they took - Brian Chambers said they switched after legal consultation, so they've been advised that they were ok to "switch".

The took that risk in return for raising money, now I have an explanation and an answer that makes sense.

Yeah. My theory is the one that makes the most sense.

Also, note that 1) they had to get legal clearance do even do it. Ortwin foolishly said "Sure, go ahead" 2) and they had to do it in order to be able to parcel it off in the UK in order to get the tax credits, which they later took out a loan on.

They knew what they were doing. What they didn't plan for was that, after over a year of going back and forth with them, that Crytek would actually have the balls to sue. Then they did. And they brought Skaddengeddon upon them.

I also wrote a bit about this "switch" on my forum a few days ago:

Above is what Ben Parry claims happened, as I wrote in this Dec 27, 2016 blog. And my guess is that coming from a company engineer, it's going to come back to haunt them.

It doesn't matter that LY contains CE 3.8. What matters is that the Crytek and Amazon licenses are DIFFERENT in the eyes of the law. It's like you buying a White box item, vs a retail item. They are the same items, but the latter probably comes with longer warranty, nice box, manuals etc. Also the same as getting a warranty replacement (e.g. from Apple) which isn't the same as the original.

That Amazon built Lumberyard from CryEngine doesn't mean that anyone using LY automatically gets a license to use CryEngine, which is actually being sold separately. That would be like claiming that buying the White box item entitles you to 12 month warranty from the manufacturer, though the White box seller only gave you 90 days.

Besides, they're not even claiming that they didn't switch. They're claiming that they DID switch even though the dispute is that the GLA does not permit them to do so.

And the reason that I say they didn't switch, but are pretending that they did, is because they know that the underlying CryEngine code they built Star Engine with, is similar to what LY is built on. Unfortunately for them, anyone looking at the LY changelog can see that they have deviated so far from CE3.8, that it is inconceivable that CIG were able to switch at all, let alone in under two days. And even if CIG were still on that porting effort since Dec 2016, and more so now with this lawsuit, they can't forge code version control logs, nor the files.

So even if they managed to mask it in such a way that they tracked all the files from the stock CE version, matched them to the LY version and copied over, they would still be busted via their own version control, as well as the fact that LY has changed a LOT of the stock CE files. I know this because I have both stock CE and LY.
Heck, I was able to disassemble their own exe back when I was posting about CE spin locks.

If you are using files from stock CE, you are on the Crytek license.

If you are using files from LY (derivative CE), you are on the Amazon license.

Look at it this way. Several car manufacturers use the same air bags. You can literally take one airbag from the same manufacturer, and put it in another vehicle that uses the same airbag make and model. However, because different vendors have their own serial and part numbers, which vary from the manufacturer's own original ones, you can easily trace that an airbag from vendor B that you put in your vehicle, does not match the original that came from vendor A. That's how we get into things like generic auto parts, video cards, medicine etc.

Here are excerpts from my thread yesterday.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/954761797134880769

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/954762159891902465

Why did this switch, or lied that they switched?

My theory is that they KNEW the GLA only permitted them ONE game. By switching to LY, they avoid that breach. Except they didn't actually do it.

Also they no longer had to pay Crytek 100K Euros a year for support contract.

UPDATE:

Someone on my Discord just pointed that in this Jan 4th, 2017 video @ 2:25, you can see core CryEngine code (GetFlashPlayer) that's not in Lumberyard.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15666-Bugsmashers

quote:

At 2:25 there's some code on screen, which looks very much like CryEngine code and not Lumberyard. CE uses scaleform UI, which is basically flash. LY does not have this, does not come with a scaleform license, and uses a different UI system. So 2.6 was CryEngine, and not Lumberyard. The switch never happened. Called it. They just cherrypicked network stuff from LY onto their codebase, keeping CE specific stuff, essentially still being CryEngine.

More Ben Parry comments regarding The Big Switch

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943747&viewfull=1#post4943747

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943734&viewfull=1#post4943734

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943682&viewfull=1#post4943682

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943353&viewfull=1#post4943353
[/quote]

Also...

Read my comment on the engine switch for more context on this issue.

CIG are not developing Star Engine for third-party licensing. So they're OK there.

In the Crytek case, it's not that they are tempting to do that, in violation of the GLA. It's that they're doing all of 2.4, when they should be doing certain (e.g. promoting) things for CryEngine. It's going to come down to the judge to determine if switching to Lumberyard, which would encompass designing, developing, creating, supporting, maintaining, promoting, licensing, is a violation of the GLA. IMO, those who think that 2.4 is just a non-compete clause, are wrong.

As patently hilarious as it sounds, I'm calling it now because a court has ruled a case based on similar findings.

This:

"engage in the business of designing, developing..."

is DIFFERENT from this:

"engage in the business of, designing, developing.."

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

“One of my big goals in Hollywood was to try and build the same sense of world that I did in my game worlds […] Outlander is a great example of this. I helped make sure we did a truly exceptional amount of pre-production, really building all the details of the world in just the same way we used to at Origin. And I would say that I learned a lot in the process that we’re going to bring to Star Citizen,” Roberts told Gog.com in 2012. The only problem with Outlander — apart from the fact that critics considered it an entertaining train wreck, at best — was that it grossed $7 million, having cost $47 million to produce.

Oh my god Croberts produced Outlander! I had so much fun taking the mick out of that movie :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZY9SsbpF4

Who knew a time-travelling sci-fi viking flick could turn out so daft?

Ok, I'm striking at least three other bad things from his record now. Just not the stuff about whale hunting or abusing young interns*.

*Legal disclaimer: By which I mean expecting them to find his ideas or his mo-cap rolls sexy.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 22, 2018

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2vloXPdtog&t=47s

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Amazon on site was an Agent leak/rumour

Brian Chambers said they were getting zero support from Crytek and moving to Amazon would fix that and give them access to new tech.

My issues with that explanation are:

1. Crytek's support only covers what the engine is documented to do (ie not spaceships and planets)

2. Crytek's support is limited to training and standard tech support for the engine as documented

3. Lumberyard is an fps engine with basic networking, wtf are Amazon going to be able to do if someone tries to make a space mmo with it?

In other words there was nothing to be gained apart from "access to new LY tech" which I have not seen any evidence for and which makes NO SENSE as CIG have claimed for 2 years they consider the engine to be Star Engine as it has been so dramatically customised.

Nothing these guys have been saying regarding the engine change stands up to scrutiny.

That's because it's all bullshit and lies. I called that back in Dec 2016. Even wrote a blog about it :grin:

----------------

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

That's because it's all bullshit and lies. I called that back in Dec 2016. Even wrote a blog about it :grin:

So, we have our entree of Skadden, whats the main course and dessert?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

It's like The Ring but even if you sensibly say fukkit to the murder VHS she just gets bored and comes after you anyways.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I still find it hilarious that CIG decided to try to piggyback on top of an existing engine. Frontier decided to make their own engine which, apart from instancing issues, works very well. Yeah, all the planetary bodies are almost all procedurally generated (a non-trivial amount of "The Bubble" systems are not), but it gets the job done. Plus, you get some really neat things out of it (yesterday I cam across binary planets orbiting binary stars fast enough you can actually see them move, how is that not cool even if it is procgen).

I think the engine problem, as a whole, stems from Chris's desire to make the "ultimate PC game". Crysis was infamous for having insane requirements to even run properly, so why not cater to those people who can build those PCs. They're willing to throw fucktons of money at PCs that can do that, why not see if you can get them to throw fucktons of money at you. Say your game is going to need the top of the line equipment when it's released and boom, people will fall over themselves because of the massive dickwaving it allows them to do.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

D_Smart posted:

News to me :eyepop:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

quote:

Your use of Lumberyard is governed by the AWS Customer Agreement at https://aws.amazon.com/agreement/ and Lumberyard Service Terms at https://aws.amazon.com/serviceterms/#57._Amazon_Lumberyard_Engine.

• Your fork may not enable the use of third-party compute, storage or database services.

I read this wrong. You cannot use other third party compute, storage, or database services. I doubt that means you can't use your own servers and databases but maybe? Anyways if CIG ever bring up Google compute again it needs to be looked at closely.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Elite is considered by a significant amount of people as the Killer App for VR. I rarely if ever hear about any other game being as amazing in VR, but that may be bias at play here.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of people agree that elite in VR is basically the best poo poo, as long as you don't linger too long because then the lack of depth and turbogrind starts showing :v:

I disagree, it's great fun to putter around in VR no matter how long I play, but that's just me.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 22, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hypothetical question:

Say CIG did actually try to switch engine on the basis of taking core LY and copy/pasting the work they did on Cryengine on top of LY in a lazy way that would result in a lot of stuff that says 'this is Cryengine' being visible.

Nevermind whether or not that's sensible from a developer perspective, assuming that CIG could terminate the license by changing engine, would you consider that to be an 'engine change'?

Is there a potential Theseus Paradox question here?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alchenar posted:

Hypothetical question:

Say CIG did actually try to switch engine on the basis of taking core LY and copy/pasting the work they did on Cryengine on top of LY in a lazy way that would result in a lot of stuff that says 'this is Cryengine' being visible.

Nevermind whether or not that's sensible from a developer perspective, assuming that CIG could terminate the license by changing engine, would you consider that to be an 'engine change'?

They can't terminate the license by "changing the engine", that's been discussed already. They would have to give CryTek notice of termination and, it, by contract, can not be immediate either.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

no_recall posted:

So, we have our entree of Skadden, whats the main course and dessert?

Grilled cheese sandwiches and donuts

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

iospace posted:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Elite is considered by a significant amount of people as the Killer App for VR. I rarely if ever hear about any other game being as amazing in VR, but that may be bias at play here.

Lone Echo

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Hypothetical question:

"copyright Crytek GmbH" is all over the place even in the Lumberyard repo:
https://github.com/aws/lumberyard/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=crytek

So when you see Bugsmashers code with Crytek comments it doesn't prove anything for sure.

This however is more telling:

PederP posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15666-Bugsmashers

At 2:25 there's some code on screen, which looks very much like CryEngine code and not Lumberyard. CE uses scaleform UI, which is basically flash. LY does not have this, does not come with a scaleform license, and uses a different UI system. So 2.6 was CryEngine, and not Lumberyard. The switch never happened. Called it. They just cherrypicked network stuff from LY onto their codebase, keeping CE specific stuff, essentially still being CryEngine.

Called it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Pixelate posted:

Because the numbers don't add up there, and I can't find the source. Plus I don't know who Derek is.

That's Gorf's chart.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Terebus posted:

So Derek teased a bigger ELE on the same day as the Skadden response. Is ot safe to say that nothing came of that?

No, that's not what happened. Do try to keep up.

----------------