Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Human Crouton posted:

It was a different time back then. I don't think anybody really cared.

I imagine that Native American people and groups would have cared, if they knew about it at least, but nobody would have cared that they cared, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

It was a different time back then. I don't think anybody really cared.

i actually thought it was good to include at the time, if overly amalgamated. just, after seeing the granularity they had in civ 5 (thanks to dlc of course), it was unsatisfying. to me it's not that they did something bad, but they've done it better since and it's a little disappointing that i can't get that variety and the civilopedia entries in earlier games without mods. i've come to expect high quality playable civs, is that so wrong?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
A cool thing Civ could do, that they won't ever do, is only include "extinct" empires. Rome would be one example, Mongolia, Zulus, Assyrians, Carthage, Minoan, Inca's, Aztecs, Celts, Pueblo, Xhosa. Plus since modern civ mechanics seem to revolve around an inhabited world for some reason, it would be cool if City-states were just potential players that got left behind. After the first 8 (or whatever) civs discover writing, the remainders would become city-states, which would be a loss for the player if he got too far behind.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Someone suggest that to Firaxis and they might do it, really; they added a water-based Entertainment Complex in Rise and Fall, the Water Park, after all. Deserts have Petra and the Pyramids, and you can still build Seaside Resorts and Pairidaezas in them, meanwhile, so you can get some mileage out of them. Tundra, though, outside of that one pantheon belief and Russia, is useless and something you build districts over because you don't care about the tile's yield.

They are adding two new wonders related to the tundra: St. Basil's Cathedral and what appears to be the South Pole Station. The Cathedral will provide bonus food, production, and culture to tundra tiles (not sure if it's just for the city or the entire empire). No idea what the station does yet.

Funnily enough, the one thing Chateaus have over the Pairidaezas is that you can in fact build them on tundra and snow for what that's worth.

Bluff Buster fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 22, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bluff Buster posted:

They are adding two new wonders related to the tundra: St. Basil's Cathedral and what appears to be the South Pole Station. The Cathedral will provide bonus food, production, and culture to tundra tiles (not sure if it's just for the city or the entire empire). No idea what the station does yet.

Funnily enough. the one thing Chateaus have over the Pairidaezas is that you can in fact build them on tundra and snow for what that's worth.

Ah right, I forgot about those. I even thought of St. Basil's Cathedral as a tundra Petra after it was revealed.

Also, I did not know that about the Chateau. That is interesting. It's still awful, but, well, being able to be built anywhere (as long as it's next to a river) is a nice thing in a unique improvement for a civ.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The only thing I know about belgium is that they have good chocolate

What's Belgium famous for? Child abuse and chocolates, and they only invented the chocolates to get at the kids

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

What's Belgium famous for?

Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Losing to Germany.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Byzantine posted:

Losing to Germany.

That's unfair, they're next to France.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfXQlxfgQOc

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, I could use some advice in that V multiplayer game I'm in.

So far, things have gone pretty well. Despite settling a turn late due to moving my settler to settle next to the mountain, that same turn I got some ruins that gave my capital a free pop, and I found some more two turns later that got me the culture to open Tradition right away. It's a few turns in now, and I've found a neighbor whose capital seems to be nine tiles from mine, which seems close. I'm fairly sure it's Babylon.

Here's the current map, minus some bits at the bottom (as the minimap shows, it's just water down there):

Something the map doesn't show (I discovered it reloading an earlier turn and moving a unit another way) is that, past those bananas east of my capital, is another land hex northeast of it connecting it to more land, forming a tiny landbridge between the ocean and the inland sea (I think) that my cap's adjacent to.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what to research next or make after a shrine. Due to my luxuries being on jungle tiles, it'll take three more techs (Calendar, Mining, and Bronze Working) to improve them, leading me to think that, rather than expanding right away or making an early worker who would do nothing, improving my capital is a good idea, and I was actually considering getting Writing next instead of one of the above three techs, making an early library after the shrine and maybe granary while researching Writing, and that doing so might actually speed up me getting the techs I need with the extra science. I'm not sure if that's actually a huge mistake though (after playing VI a lot I'm used to wanting to expand early and often, so delaying expansion feels wrong), so some input would be appreciated.

Longer-term, I'm thinking of settling on that landbridge to make a canal (despite it being close to my cap), down near the marble, and maybe on that southern shore near the ivory, and using cargo ships to feed tons of food into my cap and get it huge fast. Torn on whether to try to get Stonehenge or the Hanging Gardens or to just focus on regular infrastructure, though if I get Sacred Path I'm strongly considering trying for Hagia Sophia to make a religion and preserve it. Also not sure what to do about Babylon being so close; neither of us are aggressive civs, so we could just ignore each other I guess, but I'd definitely like to kill them. But they're more defensive than me early, so, probably not possible.

Edit: Oh, unrelated, I was able to confirm that weird district formula thing we discussed before. I made two campuses and had only campuses and holy sites unlocked, and after researching another tech the cost of making a holy site was only 39 instead of 65. After placing one, though, a second would have been the normal price, despite being placed that same turn. So that's interesting, if unlikely to come up most of the time.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 22, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
drat that is a hard life start. i'd say your priority at this point should be buying the deer and banana east of your capital, in that order. buy them--i would NOT trust the culture auto selection to give you anything good and it's already favored the silk over either of those two tiles. you're going to be suffering from a major hammer shortage in the short term, but you can get a lot of mileage out of those four bananas if you take Sun God as your pantheon.

it's a dangerous start in that it'll be hard to get in order because jungles suck until education and guilds, and take for EVER to clear so be careful not to monopolize workers who could be better used building quicker improvements. but if you can get to astronomy first and try to get as much food going into your capital as possible with internal trade routes, you might be able to become a world power.

building-wise, granary should be your second priority after shrine since your luxuries are gold-focused rather than production or food, and your most abundant bonus tile is bananas, which produce yet another +1 food from granaries. since the library's bonus is a 50% boost based on your population, it's more important to grow your pop as fast as possible right now.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 22, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The White Dragon posted:

drat that is a hard life start. i'd say your priority at this point should be buying the deer and banana east of your capital, in that order. buy them--i would NOT trust the culture auto selection to give you anything good and it's already favored the silk over either of those two tiles. you're going to be suffering from a major hammer shortage in the short term, but you can get a lot of mileage out of those four bananas if you take Sun God as your pantheon.

it's a dangerous start in that it'll be hard to get in order because jungles suck until education and guilds, and take for EVER to clear so be careful not to monopolize workers who could be better used building quicker improvements. but if you can get to astronomy first and try to get as much food going into your capital as possible with internal trade routes, you might be able to become a world power.

building-wise, granary should be your second priority after shrine since your luxuries are gold-focused rather than production or food, and your most abundant bonus tile is bananas, which produce yet another +1 food from granaries. since the library's bonus is a 50% boost based on your population, it's more important to grow your pop as fast as possible right now.

Alright, thanks. Yeah, this start seemed like a long-term start, albeit one that, if I do survive, should set me up for a strong mid and late game. Which makes Babylon being a neighbor over someone more aggressive a plus, I suppose. And yeah, Sun God is the pantheon besides Sacred Path I'm really considering. Either would be nice, really. If one gets claimed but the other doesn't, I'm definitely taking the leftover one. If I'm beaten to both... I don't have a Plan C there. Thus far only Fertility Rites have been taken, and that's a bad one anyway, but since I'm last in turn order I think I'll likely get beaten by at least a few people to pantheons so I don't know what will be there when I can pick one.

Also, yes, I was definitely going to buy the deer next turn; would have done it this turn, since I broke 30 gold and found a gold ruin this turn, but the thing that shows where my borders would expand said the bananas were the only tile it was considering and I'm not sure if buying a tile delays tile growth, so I decided to wait the one turn it'd take them to expand normally and then buy the deer, switching the tiles worked over immediately. If it does go for a resourceless tile over the bananas or deer, well, at least I can afford both immediately.

Improving the deer would get me some more production, but unfortunately that requires two techs that aren't part of the three I need to improve my luxuries, and the worker wouldn't have anything to do after that for a while anyway, so I figure that can wait. Deer also produce +1 Food with a granary for some reason, so my food income's going to be great soon, at least.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Wow, harsh Belgium opinions. Fortunately all good Dutch things are actually Belgian, seeing as the Netherlands were little more than hamlets in the swamps until the Spanish drove all the affluent and educated Belgians out of Antwerp and Brussels. All the influence on culture, all the political thought, most of the money used to fund the empire came from what is contemporary Belgium. Willem Van Oranje probably did not even speak Dutch, seeing as he was French.

It's pretty telling that the first thing you single out as a token of Belgium's influence is from a time where there was no such thing as a Belgian nation or a distinctive group of Belgian people. If anything what you're referring to would be a good reason to include a Flemish Civ, but I would hate to see the reactions of the kinds of people who would be excited about finally being able to play Flanders in Civ (right-wing nationalists).

There are a few ways to include Belgium/Flanders I think:
-(the worst option) Have the Belgae as a Gallic tribe, give them some kind of unit that can ambush (stealth mechanic?), with a bonus to fighting civs that have a stronger military. Leader would be Ambiorix.
-(Right winger wet dream option): Have Flanders as a Maritime Trade focused nation with limitations to how big it can grow (similar to Venice in V).
-(Boring option): Have The Kingdom of Belgium as an industrial age industry focused nation, bonuses for coal or something
-(What I'd like to see): Wait for the expansion that makes diplomacy worthwhile and have Belgium focus on that, with bonuses to whatever mechanic they have similar to the UN, possibly have a continent-based diplomacy with Belgium getting bonuses to the equivalent of the EU. National leader could be Paul-Henri Spaak, one of the architects of the EU.

Julius Caesar mentioning Belgium pretty prominently in De Bello Gallico is like someone talking about how hard a Dark Souls boss was. The point is to brag that you've defeated them.

Also it's not like Belgium is the only country with a terrible colonial history guys, at least we are on the road to more or less acknowledging our lovely past. Right now there's a movie in theatres that's basically a hagiography of the guy who came up with the idea of using poison gas on the Iraqi's, invented concentration camps, really liked the idea of a white African ethno-state and was partially responsible for a famine in India...

EDIT: I forgot, but Belgium was an option in the Scramble for Africa scenario in CIV5, it used Brazil's leader portrait as a stand in for Leopold II (not bad but wrong shape of beard). They get a bonus to movement on terrain adjacent to rivers and rivers act to prolong trade routes. Also extra production from plantations.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 22, 2018

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I went for medieval history because, as we've seen with Germany and the HRE in V and VI, Civ isn't above giving a contemporary country a medieval history and ruler as its inspiration.

So give me Belgium under Hertog Jan or something, with some production + culture themed mid-game of tapestries and wool, a militiaman UU of some kind and then a nod to the industrial era or indeed a UN thing for post-1945 Belgium.

Or you could literally go for a Burgundy civ that has Mechelen and so on in their city list. At this point I'd even be okay with just adding Belgian cities to the Dutch city list if that's the amount of respect we command from firaxis. :negative:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

kanonvandekempen posted:

Julius Caesar mentioning Belgium pretty prominently in De Bello Gallico is like someone talking about how hard a Dark Souls boss was. The point is to brag that you've defeated them.
The belgium gauls tribe Caeser mention are either his ally the Remi (who after roman conquest founded Durocortōrum, today Reims) or Suessiones tribemen that he crushed (and who later founded what's today soisson). So telling people his allies are great and he crushed their people anyway is kinda more of a self-aggrandizing act then a honest compliment. Also both Reims and Soisson are part of France since the Franks. So i doubt it would be the best choice to represent Belgium.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'd play as Belgium if it gave me the unique waffle amenity to trade.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Unique : Liégeois
+2 happiness for every city from unique amenity Liège Waffle
enemies and allies can freely pillage your improvements without diplomatic consequence

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I really dig this kind of Native American wailing.
It's been used before in other editions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZsQwKPTlKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQEZBxaawxM

Kinda reminds me of Mongolian long song.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Switzerland: Banking
Get 1 gold per turn for every 5 gold per turn other known civilizations make.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Roland Jones posted:

Something the map doesn't show (I discovered it reloading an earlier turn and moving a unit another way)

:catstare:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Roland Jones posted:

(I discovered it reloading an earlier turn and moving a unit another way)

How is that not cheating?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

You can't cheat in a singleplayer game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hes in a multiplayer match though

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Oh! Well that's cheating :p

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is, except everyone else did it first. Someone actually hosed up the game file by doing to too many times without restarting the game, which apparently causes Civ V save files to grow and take more RAM to load. There's actually a section in GMR's FAQ about this because it happens often enough and occasionally leads to games being unloadable for some people due to the save bloating too much. After we actually had to revert the game back to the beginning because someone else did to the point the GMR client was warning us about it on the very first turn, I figured it was fair for me to do so (in a way that doesn't contribute to the game eventually being unplayable) too.

Basically, I know for a fact at least some of the other players in the game are cheating too, so I figure it's fair game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
So that's what causes the save file bloat. I always figured it was random.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tahirovic posted:

Switzerland: Banking
Get 1 gold per turn for every 5 gold per turn other known civilizations make.

Should be gain 1 gold every time a civilian unit from another player is killed.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Clearly the Belgian trait should be that it picks its civics at random every turn but gets an extra slot in every category, to signify how they can't form a government but things somehow work okay anyway.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

So that's what causes the save file bloat. I always figured it was random.

Nope. At least, this is a way it's guaranteed to happen. Might affect SP games too if you wind up playing multiple games in the same session or whatever, I don't know. It even happens if you do a turn in one game, save, then do a different game; this is why GMR, by default, closes Civ V when you upload a turn, even if you have more turns waiting. From the GMR Help section:

quote:

Why does Civ V crash sometimes when I try to load a GMR save file?
Civ V can crash when loading a GMR save file for many reasons including missing Mods or DLC. But at this time the most common reason for a save file becoming un-loadable is due to a bug in Civ V hot seat mode we refer to as "save file bloating". This occurs when a player loads and plays multiple save files one after another without exiting Civ V between them. When you launch Civ V and load a hot seat save file, play your turn, and save it, the resulting save file will be approximately the same size as the original file. However if you then go back to the main menu in Civ V and load another hot seat save file, play your turn, and save it, the new save file for that game will almost always be considerably larger than its original file was. This is what we mean by "bloating".

These "bloated" save files are still valid and will be loaded by Civ V on most player's computers. However if the save file is "too bloated" it can cause Civ V to consume an abundant amount of system resources, and if your system doesn't have as much as it tries to consume then the game will crash.

I don't think it's still a problem in Civ VI, though. Which is good because VI takes forever to load up, so when you're up in multiple games, having to close it between each would take forever.

But yeah. Considering that, after the game that screenshot's from had to have ten turns (Edit: player turns, not game; I just realized that could have sounded like a lot more turns than I meant) rolled back due to someone having the bloated file, the response wasn't "who the gently caress cheated" but "hey, restart your game after reloading the turn or you'll make the game unplayable for us all", it seems like in that community, at least, that sort of thing is accepted. For games here, I don't reload turns I do. (Except for the games with the crashing bug, where I fail to get through the entire turn before Civ VI explodes. Those get reloaded, occasionally repeatedly and to my immense frustration when a turn winds up crashing a few minutes in in repeated attempts at taking it and it becomes a race against the crash and having to reload Civ VI again.)

Edit: Unrelated, someone's streaming Civ VI with Rise and Fall. I tuned in just in time to see that Korea's unique district was nerfed; it now provides +4 Science base, not +6. Still has the adjacency anti-bonus. That's a bit more reasonable.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 22, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Double posting because some new info was posted elsewhere

Alliance info:

Emergency info:

Only one of each type of alliance is probably a good thing, given how powerful they are. Means only five alliances total in a game, which, well. How big a deal that is depends on how many civs you have in your game, I suppose. Emergency bonuses are interesting, meanwhile. Though it's disappointing that the religious emergency doesn't seem to convert the holy city back to the original religion, since that's, you know, the whole issue that caused the emergency. (Unless it does and it's just not mentioned? I doubt it, though.)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Can I just mention how loving annoying it is that they use icons to signal certain words but can't do it consistently? Sometimes the icon is followed by the word, sometimes it's not, and it looks sloppy as gently caress all over.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Can I just mention how loving annoying it is that they use icons to signal certain words but can't do it consistently? Sometimes the icon is followed by the word, sometimes it's not, and it looks sloppy as gently caress all over.

Nah, that is annoying. Another way the game's writing is bad.

Meanwhile, as predicted, Rationalism was changed the same way Simultaneum was:

Also, governments have been changed somewhat; Democracy's looking really good now. I'm curious what the legacy bonuses are though.

Meanwhile, the timeline's looking good:

Edit: Oh hey, that's a neat feature. In the stream, Quill put off building his Government Plaza until he already had Merchant Republic. Despite this, when he built his T1 government building, he still got the legacy bonus for his T1 government. The way I read it before it seemed implied that you needed to build them while you had the government, so it remembering the government of that tier you last used is nice. I mean, in theory; personally I'm going to build my government buildings early because they are good, but, if you don't do that, you aren't screwed out of your legacy cards.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 22, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can anyone confirm that inquisitors can only be bought during the inquisition policy?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

Alliance info:

Emergency info:

Only one of each type of alliance is probably a good thing, given how powerful they are. Means only five alliances total in a game, which, well. How big a deal that is depends on how many civs you have in your game, I suppose. Emergency bonuses are interesting, meanwhile. Though it's disappointing that the religious emergency doesn't seem to convert the holy city back to the original religion, since that's, you know, the whole issue that caused the emergency. (Unless it does and it's just not mentioned? I doubt it, though.)
oh it's the gamebreaking lovely mechanic from BE

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baron Porkface posted:

Can anyone confirm that inquisitors can only be bought during the inquisition policy?

I asked around, and that's not the case apparently; some people said that the policy makes it so that starting an inquisition just uses an Apostle charge, not the whole Apostle. Could be wrong, mind, because I didn't get an answer from a person with the preview build, but I highly doubt they'd move that mechanic to a Dark Age policy.

Anyway, new government buildings, plus pics of all nine:

National History Museum is four Great Work slots, for any type, meanwhile. So, Domination, Science (rush your Space Race stuff), and Tourism, respectively.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 22, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

Alliance info:

The final cultural advantage is so stupid. Tourism is a win condition and nothing else. So it's only an advantage to the ally who is already leading in tourism. This is another thing they did not learn from V. In V, tourism had no effect other than to win the game, so they patched it so it had some minor effects, yet somehow they completely forgot about that when they made VI.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jBrereton posted:

oh it's the gamebreaking lovely mechanic from BE

In my ideal world, every civ would have some unique way, on its own or in conjunction with other game mechanics, to break the game, as long as there were uncertainty that I could pull off the combo and more than just binary "I win/lose." Weird civs are my favorite.

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

"All units when they eliminate a unit, they heal up to 20 hit points."

...Really Firaxis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The final cultural advantage is so stupid. Tourism is a win condition and nothing else. So it's only an advantage to the ally who is already leading in tourism. This is another thing they did not learn from V. In V, tourism had no effect other than to win the game, so they patched it so it had some minor effects, yet somehow they completely forgot about that when they made VI.

I completely forgot what the extra effect for culture was in 5 besides victory and spreading domains.