Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Pinwiz11 posted:

Drag Race Thursday, MHW Friday, NXT Takeover Saturday. It's going to be a good week.

NXT call-out, but no WWE.

Harsh, but fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Saint Freak posted:

NXT call-out, but no WWE.

Harsh, but fair.

I figure I'll be playing MHW during the non-Rumble matches, but I'll be giving NXT my full attention.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh man. I forgot to mention this, but PS4's spell checker/recommended word thing is great. I was making a dumb name for my hunter, right? I decided on HotPotatoe. On the second O in potatoe, the PS4 decided I wanted to type Oedipus.

Therefore then my hunter's name was HotPotatOedipus.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tei posted:

Never played a MH game before.

You guys scare me. I have a friend that has been playing the beta til the last day, until late every night.

I don't know how a supercasual will fit in all here. I guest I will be the random guy doing 2+2+2+2+2+8 damage and breaking the wrong body part in the wrong moment....

.....Sorry!!.

People take these games way more seriously than they need to on the internet. Just hang out and hit a monster until it dies. If you feel like you don't understand something or want to use your weapon better then you can look up help, but most of that information isn't needed to win. Most of the people in the game will be going at it way more casually than the people sweating over frame-by-frame optimal DPS comparisons here. They will be random people chilling out and hitting dinos after work. In fact I can't remember a single rude person I met in MH Tri itself after hundreds of hours, even though people on the internet treated the game like it was some weird sacred religious ritual

I think poo poo like that "adopt a hunter" program send the wrong message about the game just by existing

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Just look at it this way - when you're new to the game, you'll be playing alongside other people who are also new (at lower ranks). If you're good enough to rank up and fight harder monsters alongside other people who really know what they're doing... Then you'll already know what you're doing too, because otherwise you wouldn't have gotten that far.

Also, in the end, the worst thing that's happened is you wasted 20 minutes of someone's time. Not a big deal.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
https://gematsu.com/2018/01/monster-hunter-world-day-one-update-detailed

Poogie is in, woot.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The MH community I ran into on 3ds was also really laid back and helpful, I found. There’s occasional elitist groups out there, but it’s usually obvious if they are and it’s easy to avoid them. Then all you have to do is hit the mon with your weapon of choice.

Is brachy going to be in this? He was my “I hate this motherfucker oh whoops he’s my favorite mon now.” He also has an awesome musical theme. Apex Zinogre, however can always gently caress off.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm excited about the little things. Like customizing the auto messages that are barked when certain conditions are met.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Online MH community is really good. Usually people go out of their way to help out a new player. Yeah you get jerks every now and then but it's easy enough to just find another group.

End game content is where you get elitists being all pissy when you're not wearing the preferred cookie cutter build or whatever.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sorry...
Don't sweat it!
Don't sweat it!
Don't sweat it!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lol, avoid the Death Squad, using glitches to get 1 minute kills.

Go on the discord and say "Inexperienced goon, need a Sherpa!"

I for one love sunbroing. I spend countless hours helping people learn how to play good fun games that I love.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Real Talk: get on discord, join the PSN community, join the Squad once the game is live. Even if you're several weeks late to the party and we're all way ahead of you, there's a lot of us who are happy to dig out our old newbie equipment and help you get through that content.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Its a odd game. Even with all the streamlining, its really helpful if you watch somebody hunt. Its so fun, but you need that dark souls 'clicks' moment where everything comes together.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I hope the game let's me change "Don't sweat it!" to "Believe in yourself!"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

No time to emote. tails to cut/heads to smash

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Are there still auto-callouts for various actions, I will I have to get on voice and say "Hold my drink" myself whenever I mount something?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've got 2-3 buddies who are jumping into the game as their first Monster Hunter, and I can't wait to help them get started.

They are all big BIG time Destiny 1 guys who spent a thousand hours learning mechanics and fights who just want to kill big stuff and grind their asses off on something deep with enjoyable repetition. I think this game might draw a lot of the types of players in.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

deadly_pudding posted:

Are there still auto-callouts for various actions, I will I have to get on voice and say "Hold my drink" myself whenever I mount something?

there are

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Bleck posted:

I hope the game let's me change "Don't sweat it!" to "Believe in yourself!"

"Believe in me who believes in you!"

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I cut the tail!!!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Online MH community is really good. Usually people go out of their way to help out a new player. Yeah you get jerks every now and then but it's easy enough to just find another group.

End game content is where you get elitists being all pissy when you're not wearing the preferred cookie cutter build or whatever.
Even then I've very rarely ran into it pugging and I did a ton of relic farming in 4U. Nobody seemed to ever give a poo poo in Generations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

If people care that I am wearing shoes that are both fashionable AND let me eat faster, over an 'optimal build', then they can gently caress off.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

boz posted:

"Believe in me who believes in you!"

Then you bust out.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Is it safe to delete the beta client now? Surely it won't be patched to the full version when it releases, right?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chaitai posted:

Is it safe to delete the beta client now? Surely it won't be patched to the full version when it releases, right?

It probably searches for the save to give you your bonuses, I know I deleted and redled the client between weekends, my completed quests were still completed. So safe? Probably?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I was the jerk who set my auto callout to “MON IS MOUNTED!!! DONT HIT THE MON!!!”

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Digirat posted:

In fact I can't remember a single rude person I met in MH Tri itself after hundreds of hours, even though people on the internet treated the game like it was some weird sacred religious ritual

I dunno, I met some proper arseholes on MH4U before. I remember one dickhead who changed literally all his shoutouts to be some variation of 'lol git gud noob', spent the entire time pre-hunt harassing some poor dude for his choice of armour set, then once the hunt started he followed that guy around tripping him shouting 'lol noob' until the guy disconnected.

Other than the odd prick it's 99% fine, though there's always the people who somehow make it to G-rank despite not knowing how armour skills work. Or wielding a GS yet never using a single charge attack; for some reason I saw that very often with Japanese players in MHXX.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Emron posted:

I was the jerk who set my auto callout to “MON IS MOUNTED!!! DONT HIT THE MON!!!”

That doesn't know you off anymore though?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

That doesn't know you off anymore though?

I haven’t played since 4u on 3ds, when it did. I didn’t know they got rid of that, I’m even more stoked now. Great QOL change.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Emron posted:

I haven’t played since 4u on 3ds, when it did. I didn’t know they got rid of that, I’m even more stoked now. Great QOL change.

Yeah, they changed in in X/Gen. It was a really dumb thing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Emron posted:

Yeah, mounted time is free hits for everyone, the monster attacks are usually knockbacks and not major damage. Its awesome. Some weapons do amazing mount damage, some not so much. Usually the blasting ones, like charge blade or gunlance or switchaxe if you have full shells/meter will unload everything into them on the knockdown.

IG ironically doesn't do great knockdown hits but as you move around the monster does damage so you can mounts and fly all over the monster hacking it up.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I always used mount time as sharpening or trap setting time. Being able to gently caress up the mon during that time presents a cool dilemma.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, mounted time is free hits for everyone, the monster attacks are usually knockbacks and not major damage. Its awesome. Some weapons do amazing mount damage, some not so much. Usually the blasting ones, like charge blade or gunlance or switchaxe if you have full shells/meter will unload everything into them on the knockdown.

IG ironically doesn't do great knockdown hits but as you move around the monster does damage so you can mounts and fly all over the monster hacking it up.

Fun fact: when it tells you to hold R2, it's actually better to use the left analog to move to a different body part, especially on IG. The monster actually just shakes a specific body part to try and knock you off, so moving locations avoids the stamina reduction but gives you more time to attack. And, of course, with IG you do a stylish flip attack when you change locations, so you can rack up tons of damage that way.

However, I don't know if the IG's movement damage adds to the invisible "knock the monster down" gauge. Does anyone know if you can just flip around back and forth and still knock the monster down?

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 22, 2018

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

thorsilver posted:

I dunno, I met some proper arseholes on MH4U before. I remember one dickhead who changed literally all his shoutouts to be some variation of 'lol git gud noob', spent the entire time pre-hunt harassing some poor dude for his choice of armour set, then once the hunt started he followed that guy around tripping him shouting 'lol noob' until the guy disconnected.

Other than the odd prick it's 99% fine, though there's always the people who somehow make it to G-rank despite not knowing how armour skills work. Or wielding a GS yet never using a single charge attack; for some reason I saw that very often with Japanese players in MHXX.

Believe in the COMBO GREAT SWORD !!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Fun fact: when it tells you to hold R2, it's actually better to use the left analog to move to a different body part, especially on IG. The most actually just shakes a specific body part to try and knock you off, so moving locations avoids the stamina reduction but gives you more time to attack. And, of course, with IG you do a stylish flip attack when you change locations, so you can rack up tons of damage that way.

However, I don't know if the IG's movement damage adds to the invisible "knock the monster down" gauge. Does anyone know if you can just flip around back and forth and still knock the monster down?

:wth: learn somethin every day

is the drill hammer in

wasn't that seltas, i'm gonna be pissed if i cant drill hammer

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Audience in Japan for these games is pretty broad and tends to reach younger. The Japanese guy doing great sword combos could easily be like 10 years old.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tei posted:

Never played a MH game before.

You guys scare me. I have a friend that has been playing the beta til the last day, until late every night.

I don't know how a supercasual will fit in all here. I guest I will be the random guy doing 2+2+2+2+2+8 damage and breaking the wrong body part in the wrong moment....

.....Sorry!!.

As others have said, don’t worry about it, the community is cool. If you’re worried about being stuck on walls for literal days because you can’t beat a monster, I wouldn’t worry about that either. Many of those stories come from older games which had a much worse learning curve and much more obtuse and confusing mechanics. There’s also the fact that MHW will let you do multiplayer for any quest, so if you DO struggle on a particular monster you can always bring in friends to help!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Fun fact: when it tells you to hold R2, it's actually better to use the left analog to move to a different body part, especially on IG. The monster actually just shakes a specific body part to try and knock you off, so moving locations avoids the stamina reduction but gives you more time to attack. And, of course, with IG you do a stylish flip attack when you change locations, so you can rack up tons of damage that way.

You sure can. I took down a few monsters by just jumping from part to part with IG.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Im fuckin stoked to capture critters and put them in my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I like to be the leader of the room. So when someone yells at some noob for carting and telling him to git gud, I'll kick the yelling rear end in a top hat and play with the new guy instead.