Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Check for smooth sliding, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pilot complained about rough running. Ran a compression check. One cylinder showed 0psi. Pulled the cylinder off and found the problem.

I don't think a lot of people understand how large aircraft engines are. This is one of six pistons (and the dead valve) that gives the engine a 550 cubic inch displacement (at 4.25" stroke). Sorry I only had a dime for scale.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Pilot complained about rough running. Ran a compression check. One cylinder showed 0psi. Pulled the cylinder off and found the problem.

I don't think a lot of people understand how large aircraft engines are. This is one of six pistons (and the dead valve) that gives the engine a 550 cubic inch displacement (at 4.25" stroke). Sorry I only had a dime for scale.

Yeah, you have to make X amount of horsepower, RPM cap of something ridiculous like 2600 usually. The solution: gently caress-off huge piston engines.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

EightBit posted:

Yeah, you have to make X amount of horsepower, RPM cap of something ridiculous like 2600 usually. The solution: gently caress-off huge piston engines.

Yeah, 300hp, 3k redline. Note that 550cid is 1.5l per cylinder.

Also, magnetos and constant-pressure fuel injection. If it worked in 1924, it's still in new-production engines.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Well, gear reduction is expensive compared to direct drive, and it's not like improving the performance of general aviation piston engines is a priority for anyone when gas turbines exist.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EightBit posted:

before anyone else posts it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-4360_Wasp_Major

28 cylinders, 71.5 litres, 4300 horsepower @ 2550 RPM on 115/145 avgas with 30psi boost. Each cylinder displaces 2.5 litres and it's air-cooled.

quote:

Although mechanically reliable in flight, it developed an unenviable reputation for in-flight fires, particularly in its Boeing Stratocruiser application, and in addition the Wasp Major was maintenance-intensive. Improper starting technique could foul all 56 spark plugs, requiring hours to clean or replace.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 22, 2018

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sagebrush posted:

28 cylinders, 71.5 litres, 4300 horsepower @ 2550 RPM on 115/145 avgas with 30psi boost. Each cylinder displaces 2.5 litres and it's air-cooled.

These are extremely cool to check out in person. Absolutely massive and chock full of complex looking poo poo everywhere. There's one in the Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle and another in a private museum near Newberg in Oregon.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

InitialDave posted:

Japanese anthropomorphic advice booklets are always the best thing.

Eye contact and a firm handshake are key to earning the trust of your engine

STOP! Don't hellaflush your Miata!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Japanese anthropomorphic advice booklets are always the best thing.

As cheesy as it sounds, encountering one almost always make me smile regardless of how my day has been going.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Y'all should pick up a copy of John Muir's VW book then.

Though I guess it doesn't have much in the way of anthromorphic beetles, but it's sort of in the ballpark.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Note the H4 used 8 of these. 224 pistons with a displacement of 572 liters.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

um excuse me posted:

What's the gas mileage on that?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

um excuse me posted:

The B-36 used "only" six of them...but it flipped them around into a pusher configuration, which made them catch on fire all the time due to lack of airflow, and then added another four turbojets to make up the extra thrust the plane still needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_B-36_Peacemaker

The engineer's call when the plane was ready for takeoff was "six turning, four burning"

and here is the engineer's station

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BitBasher posted:

What's the gas mileage on that?

If you can find the fuel capacity divide it by like 3,000 to get gallons per mile.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Plinkey posted:

If you can find the fuel capacity divide it by like 3,000 to get gallons per mile.

12, 600 gallons apparently!

4.2 gallons per mile seems really, really good. Too good. Unbelievable really.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Eye contact and a firm handshake are key to earning the trust of your engine

My car didn't come with that handbook so now my engine is sulking on the floor, next steps?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Midjack posted:

As cheesy as it sounds, encountering one almost always make me smile regardless of how my day has been going.
Yeah, I first encountered them in Tamiya instruction manuals when I was a kid, and they still have this :3: thing to remind me of putting kits together.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

track day bro! posted:

My car didn't come with that handbook so now my engine is sulking on the floor, next steps?

Set out a saucer of oil.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The B-36 used "only" six of them...but it flipped them around into a pusher configuration, which made them catch on fire all the time due to lack of airflow, and then added another four turbojets to make up the extra thrust the plane still needed.
I never got the rationale for using a pusher configuration. It seems like a lot of hassle for little benefit when you're not really space constrained or worried about clear view for the pilot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doesn't disrupt the airflow over the wings.

(another) downside: it makes a really weird distinctive sound so you could hear a B-36 coming a dozen miles off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Data Graham posted:

Doesn't disrupt the airflow over the wings.

This. The B-36 has an extremely efficient (and gently caress-off-huge) airfoil, which was necessary to get the required un-refueled range. It also helped lightly-loaded reconnaissance versions achieve a 58,000 foot service ceiling.

(That’s pretty high, even for modern aircraft.)

The sound that is mentioned above is noticeable in all aircraft with a prop behind the wing; Listen to a Piaggio 180 some time as it departs. Hearing and seeing a B-36 fly again is a recurring fever-dream of mine, though.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's interesting that every cylinder of that engine displaces the same as my Subaru, and make's about the same amount of power (~155hp).

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah sure this thing was cool in the peacemaker, but check out the stratocruiser and it's Hawaiian lounge!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

The engineer's call when the plane was ready for takeoff was "six turning, four burning"

I thought it was "Two turning, two burning, two smoking, two choking and two unaccounted for"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sagebrush posted:

um excuse me posted:

quote:

The Wasp Major engines had a prodigious appetite for lubricating oil: each engine required a dedicated 100 gal (380 l) tank.[citation needed] Normal maintenance consisted of tedious measures, like changing the 56 spark plugs on each of the six engines; the plugs were often fouled by the lead in the 145 octane anti-knock fuel required by the R-4360 engines. Thus, each service required changing 336 spark plugs. Another frequent maintenance job was replacing the dozens of bomb bay light bulbs, which routinely shattered during test firing of the turret guns.[citation needed]

336 spark plugs per service.

I won't whine about my 50,000mile car service any more.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Midjack posted:

During a political discussion yesterday I noticed yesterday that I can't hear "Ann Coulter" anymore without thinking of this description of her, and it makes me laugh every time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the gently caress are you and that tweet on about?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

What the gently caress are you and that tweet on about?

it looks like the usual perma-mad libs trying to be edgy and funny but what it has to do with this thread is anyone's guess

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Shai-Hulud posted:

I thought it was "Two turning, two burning, two smoking, two choking and two unaccounted for"

No that's the landing checklist.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"One missing. Check that — found on wing after brief search"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Been awhile since I've seen "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart but even in the movie it crashes because it catches fire.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its lunch break, sitting in my office.
I wasn't going to log in to facebook but did, now I have something to contribute!!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
C-clips, always there to brighten someone's day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

During a political discussion yesterday I noticed yesterday that I can't hear "Ann Coulter" anymore without thinking of this description of her, and it makes me laugh every time.

:cheerdoge:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MrYenko posted:

It also helped lightly-loaded reconnaissance versions achieve a 58,000 foot service ceiling.

(That’s pretty high, even for modern aircraft.)

In the early-mid 50s the RB-36D was able to fly above Soviet air defense range - neither their fighters or ground-based AA guns could touch it. In addition their only air-search radars at the time were leftover WWII vintage units from lend-lease and reverse-engineered copies that had a 40,000 foot maximum range, so in addition to being able to outfly their defenses they were effectively outside of radar range as well.

As a result there were a lot of flyovers of Soviet and Chinese airspace until their defenses caught up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

InitialDave posted:

C-clips, always there to brighten someone's day.

Well, at least he doesn't have to worry about the pain of removing a drum for a brake job.

I remember (hell this was probably was 30+ years ago) where one of the news channels talked about axles flying out due to the C-clip. Akin to the Samurai rollover type stuff in its presentation.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

spog posted:

336 spark plugs per service.

I won't whine about my 50,000mile car service any more.

And the plugs cost $50/each! gently caress you, Champion. The plugs for my plane are literally Volkswagen plugs - 14mm thread, 3/8” reach, single electrode jobs - but because they’re ~special~ they’re $50 each. And my plane has 12 of them. $600 for new plugs. Makes me sick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

charliemonster42 posted:

And the plugs cost $50/each! gently caress you, Champion. The plugs for my plane are literally Volkswagen plugs - 14mm thread, 3/8” reach, single electrode jobs - but because they’re ~special~ they’re $50 each. And my plane has 12 of them. $600 for new plugs. Makes me sick.

Do they have to come with a certificate saying they are for airplanes?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Breakfast Feud posted:

Yeah sure this thing was cool in the peacemaker, but check out the stratocruiser and it's Hawaiian lounge!

The Stratocruiser was also prone to horrible mechanical failures. Of the 55 Stratocruisers built, 13 were lost in accidents for various reasons, including several cases where a propeller blade would become unbalanced, which often resulted in the blade (and occasionally the entire propeller and engine) being torn from the aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

charliemonster42 posted:

How much would a spark plug change for a W12 Phaeton cost at dealer prices?