Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was little, I was absolutely sure that the twister Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton are chasing was meant to be the same one that killed Hunt's character's father in the prologue, back after 30 years to finish the job.

That would have been a better movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda posted:

That would have been a better movie.

Since it was an election year, they probably felt it was appropriate to delete the a scene where someone gripes about how the tornado never would've been let out of jail to kill again if there'd been a Republican in the White House.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was little, I was absolutely sure that the twister Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton are chasing was meant to be the same one that killed Hunt's character's father in the prologue, back after 30 years to finish the job.

Makes more sense than what I thought was going on, I thought they were doing experiments to find out where tornados go when they disappear.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

What is that font called anyway? It was all over everything in the 90's

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Looks like some version of Franklin to me.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnnQ0JqvgN8

Peak 90s begins at 2:28 with the arrival of JOYSTICK JOHNNY

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Iron Crowned posted:

Looks a bit like Flexure but it's hard to tell.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Since the productions I'm currently working on features Ben Giroux and Garret Clayton, this video has been making the rounds at work and seems appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcUG8GYbrxM

Sorry if it's not really from the 90s.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Was going through the drawers in my childhood bedroom and found these:

Hackey sacks bought with Pepsi points. If that's not one of the most '90's things, I don't know what is.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

We Know Catheters posted:

Freddy Got Fingered is a masterpiece

It is supremely well done Dadaist comedy, and accordingly it will never get the recognition it deserves.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Wow, that image immediately put one of the old TV ads in my head. A guy says "I haven't zipped my fly in years," then talks about the button fly, and advises viewers against pitching it the same way that he did. "You shouldn't go up to someone and say 'Hey, I don't zip my fly!' It's not the best way to start a conversation."

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

For some reason the mid 70s up through the early 90s had a real nostalgia boom for the 1930s-1950s, generally, with the 80s having more additional focus on the 60s and the 90s on the 1970s.

Was the whole swing music revival the 90s or did that happen later?

For some reason I thought the 80s passed on being nostalgic for 20 years ago that every other decade does. Are there any prominent examples of nostalgia for the 60s from the 80s?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Blur.

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/fontfont/ff-blur/

Early 90s typography also has a lot of whacky stretched fonts because desktop publishing allowed for this.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Benny Harvey posted:

For some reason I thought the 80s passed on being nostalgic for 20 years ago that every other decade does. Are there any prominent examples of nostalgia for the 60s from the 80s?

To a degree. It's sort of hard because it sort of gets a bit unromantic about the whole thing, so it might just be a lot of revisiting.

In the 80s we started to get a lot of the revisiting of the Vietnam War in various media with a number of movies coming out in the decade about that, as well as some of the 60s civil rights movement subject matter.

Hairspray was set in that early pre-Beatles America 60s (which probably gets considered as more a 50s thing). Withnail and I was set in the late 60s.

The Beatles, themselves, were starting to get a bit of a pop culture resurgence, as well. There were fairly popular documentaries just on them with things like the Imagine documentary, The Complete Beatles Documentary, a Sgt. Peppers documentary. The Wonder Years was a show set in the 60s that was pretty popular at the time. For the last part of the 80s there seemed to be a lot of chatter every so often of "20 years since the Summer of Love", "Twenty Years Since Woodstock".

The Monkees even had a big return to TV, as well as a reunion and a series of videos.

We even had this: http://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/20/arts/tv-review-showtime-stages-trial-of-lee-harvey-oswald.html
A mock 5 hour trial for Lee Harvey Oswald.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kemivUKb4f4

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Benny Harvey posted:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It wasn't until I was grown I realized the resort had all Jewish customers because they weren't allowed at other places.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Benny Harvey posted:

There was nostalgia for the 60s and also nostalgia for the 50s that held over from the 70s:

Examples:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The 80s before the fall of the Berlin wall were tense geopolitically and I remember my childhood having a lot of references to the nuclear '50s in a kind of "haha remember when we were optimistic and thought we could duck and cover our way through an atom bomb, unlike now when we know they were fools and we are gonna die" way

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

ryonguy posted:

Now there's a brand that's 90's as gently caress.

This was my favourite Gap ad back in the 90s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7z-_rw20LI

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Also, this movie which is xtremely late 90s and also one of the most underrated Christmas-adjacent movies imo a la Die Hard and The Royal Tenenbaums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ96ZidURr8

I've been patiently waiting for denim overalls to come back...one strap life

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Benny Harvey posted:

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Benny Harvey posted:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Benny Harvey posted:

Started in the 70s but ended in the 80s but: Happy Days

Nicorette Larson posted:

I've been patiently waiting for denim overalls to come back...one strap life

They are already back.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the ones who were into JTHM that you really want to avoid

Oh gently caress I have a JTHM tattoo that I got when I turned 18 (2007). It is the worst tattoo and I could easily have it covered up but I keep it as a reminder that I was an edgy goth teen. I got it to impress my girlfriend at the time and we broke up like 2 months later.

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
I really enjoyed https://www.rotten.com in the 90s (and 00s). gently caress of the month, rotten deadpool, sports dignity, The Gaping Maw, ...

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
I really enjoyed :nws: https://www.rotten.com :nws: in the 90s (and 00s). gently caress of the month, rotten deadpool, sports dignity, The Gaping Maw, ...

e: added :nws: tag

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I didn't care for the shock-for-shock's-sake side of Rotten, but the Gaping Maw (which was uncredited but almost certainly written by Tristan Farnon, who created the seminal early webcomic Leisure Town and still posts as Spigot from Jerkcity) was absolutely hilarious (albeit in a way that would get quite the stern finger-wagging in 2018), and the Rotten Library really won me over with its research, breadth of subjects, and surprisingly humane core.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When it comes to nostalgia, you just have to take a look at who's in their 30's at the time

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

You Are A Elf posted:

I remember watching this upon it original airing in 1991 and some parts still make me feel uneasy re-watching it, no matter how loving corny and laughable I find it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M8E3VAtquY&hd=1

The '80s lived on in 1991.

I know this is from a year ago, but thank you! I remember watching this in Australia as a kid! My friends had fallen asleep, and this had come on after the movie we'd been watching. The ghost on the TV got me so scared that for years, I refused to sleep without shielding my head from the TV in my bedroom.

It's laughable now, but man, it's the music that's really unsettling.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You Are A Elf posted:

I remember watching this upon it original airing in 1991 and some parts still make me feel uneasy re-watching it, no matter how loving corny and laughable I find it today.

I remember watching that show because i tried telling the kids at school about a haunted Toys R Us and got made fun of because "ive never seen a ghost at Toys R Us" :smith:

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

You Are A Elf posted:

Ha, that Toys R Us was the one we used to go to when I was a kid. I didn't hear about the haunting story until years later and, unsurprisingly, every time I hear the story it's totally different.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I was cleaning up this morning and found these stashed away. I had more at my parent's house, but I think they're ancient history now. It was a whole bunch of X-Men from the Age of Apocalypse and Onslaught eras.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

fappenmeister posted:

I was cleaning up this morning and found these stashed away. I had more at my parent's house, but I think they're ancient history now. It was a whole bunch of X-Men from the Age of Apocalypse and Onslaught eras.

what's going on wirh spiderman there?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found a Deadpool issue 1. That things 90’s as gently caress.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

GelatinSkeleton posted:

what's going on wirh spiderman there?

It's his mask nailed to a wall.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm going out on a limb here, but the 90's might have been the edgiest decade of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

fappenmeister posted:

That Transformers in the back row might be worth a few bucks.

I remember back in the late 90s the biggest Transformers site on the web was transfan.net. I havent checked if that url still goes to a transformers site.