Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eltoasto posted:

This went fantastic....

No one has ever been hosed harder by the matchmaker than that Baltimore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is there a special on on EU? + have +100% first wins, but I don't see any news about a special and with clan discounts everywhere I'm not sure if any lines have a larger discount.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

It was in the January mission briefing on the website.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Because I now have way more money than common sense, I bought the Roma. Trip report so far? Seems kinda fun. You REALLY can't show your side to anything bigger than a pop gun or you take poo poo tons of damage, and the guns are frustratingly inaccurate. But man, when they hit, they hit big.

Coming from the Alabama it's also fun to have a boat where the shells have a high and constant speed, which makes aiming a lot easier. They might also have too much speed because I managed to overpen tier 8 battleships from ~15 km out.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Honestly if you get to this point, you should really consider less stressful hobbies. Like putting together puzzles of cat pictures or writing bad poetry.

I was confused at first because I had just finished a game in the Benson (pictured), and while it was a win it wasn't THAT good of a game.

Oh. It was a Cleveland dumb enough to try charging an Atlanta when I was dug in like a tic.

Edit: TIMG made the text tiny, will edit better in the future.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Flamu is not impressed by the Gascan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_at2eRkSDyE

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Rebought my Ranger for some reason.

If you manage to be in the top half of your team, a banner should unfurl that says, "YOU WERE NOT A LIABILITY" and a marching band should parade down the deck of your stupid lovely carrier

One fighter squadron :suicide:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Rebought my Ranger for some reason.

If you manage to be in the top half of your team, a banner should unfurl that says, "YOU WERE NOT A LIABILITY" and a marching band should parade down the deck of your stupid lovely carrier

One fighter squadron :suicide:

The laugh about the USN carriers is that before between T5 and T9, you had a all in strike loadout (relying on you enemy to be an idiot), or you went AS and neutered the enemy carrier while spotting dds. Unfortunately, that relied on your pubbies to at least shoot something. Now though, I feel like having anything that isn't a Langely or Essex is a liability. You have less strike power and utility than the IJN, and you have no ability to control the air unless you opponent is an idiot. Enterprise should have been the m

old for how to fix the USN carriers, but of course WG is hilarious inept.

Mauzeraut posted:

Honestly if you get to this point, you should really consider less stressful hobbies. Like putting together puzzles of cat pictures or writing bad poetry.

I was confused at first because I had just finished a game in the Benson (pictured), and while it was a win it wasn't THAT good of a game.

Oh. It was a Cleveland dumb enough to try charging an Atlanta when I was dug in like a tic.

People in this game get hilariously bitchy about premium ships. The Harekaze, Lo Yang, and Graf Spee has been the recent ships I've gotten hate mail about. The Harekaze was me taking down a full health Shima solo. The Lo Yang was because I beat up a Fletcher who kept showing broadside to me. The Graf Spee was a Colorado who I triple citadelled before dropping torps into him.

HFX fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 22, 2018

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm having tons of fun playing French Cruisers. How does this line compare to other cruiser lines?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I played my first games for a while recently and I have to ask what kind of magical loving guns does the Roma have? I sucked up 3 citadels from a Roma in my Amagi at decent range.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Aramoro posted:

I played my first games for a while recently and I have to ask what kind of magical loving guns does the Roma have? I sucked up 3 citadels from a Roma in my Amagi at decent range.

Super magical high velocity guns with flat arcs but poo poo accuracy. Oddly, the Amagi's turtleback should make you only take full pens due to the flat arcs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ice Fist posted:

I'm having tons of fun playing French Cruisers. How does this line compare to other cruiser lines?

Same, I'm up to the La Galissonniere and she seems like a real fun boat. Almost unlocked the Algerie, but I may hold on to the La Galissonniere as well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I liked my La Gal, it could do some silly things.

Ice Fist posted:

French are a hybrid of the US and IJN cruisers imo, the thin hulls and agility are more like USN, the HE spamming guns, troll (deck) armour and having torps is more like IJN. The difference is US cruisers shoot powerful AP more than HE and are more team oriented with their AA and radar, while IJN cruisers have more and better torps, and troll belt armour, but don't go as fast or shoot as far.

Russian cruisers also sling HE, and also aren't armoured, but can't steer for poo poo, until you get to the t10 Moskva which is also a large cruiser like HIV. German cruisers are the most armoured, have equally effective HE and AP, but are a little sluggish and make you work for your damage, until you get to the t10 Hindenberg and poo poo just rains destruction from the horizon.

RN cruisers are pro-mode. Fiji is god-mode.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 22, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm in the Algerie just now and I have to say it feels like a slight downgrade from the La Gal. For me the Émile Bertin was the highlight so far, the La Gal and Algerie are more of the same but at higher tier so you get dunked by BB fire more often.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Blindeye posted:

Super magical high velocity guns with flat arcs but poo poo accuracy. Oddly, the Amagi's turtleback should make you only take full pens due to the flat arcs.

Well, the turtleback isn't very steep, and if he was at range even the Roma's shells will start to plunge and negate the turtleback. The Amagi's armor is only trollish at 8km and less.

One of the interesting things about the Roma is that it has some absurd deck armor. You will be hard pressed to take effective damage from HE spamming cruisers.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Henri has no radar, no planes, mediocre AA, bad torpedoes, and is also huge, poorly armoured, and has concealment almost as bad as Moskva.

I'm sure it's fun to play, and the speed certainly annoys me whenever I'm shooting at one, but it's probably the worst T10 cruiser.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I'm in the Algerie just now and I have to say it feels like a slight downgrade from the La Gal. For me the Émile Bertin was the highlight so far, the La Gal and Algerie are more of the same but at higher tier so you get dunked by BB fire more often.
I'd say the Emile is extremely good for being a T5 cruiser. The line is also really solid once you get to the Martel.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I hate the La Gals turret arcs. For a line that wants to go fast and spam HE, I sure do have to turn a lot to the side to fire off a full set when kiting.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I got called out for my stats today by this guy: https://na.warships.today/player/1000623901/tarvitz54

Nothing like getting called out by a guy who has worse stats than you.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I've got your air support riiiiight here

we still lost

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Are Shimas barely contained explosions just waiting to escape their vessel? I've detonated like three of them tonight with my Harekaze.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Ok just need 59 main battery hits no probl

GOD DAMNIT

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Mauzeraut posted:

a bunch of different people keep saying this in chat, I think it is some sort of bad meme

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

And that's how you climb from 6.1 to 1 in 2 days.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Are Shimas barely contained explosions just waiting to escape their vessel? I've detonated like three of them tonight with my Harekaze.

That is more luck that anything. Also, people who don't run det flags on DDS are about as dumb as people who don't run det flags on everything in ranked. Most shima players are bad and even using IJN guns you can win a fight against them.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I love it when I run out of det flags and have to spend a while playing without to build them up again. Great reminder of what a fun and well designed mechanic it is.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Got detonated in my Scharnhorst today by a torpedo hit right on the bow. Fun and engaging...

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
They need to add other random bullshit events like detonation in the game. Random hit tot the bridge kills the captain, all captain skills are disabled. Damage control team hit, now that ability is disabled. Generator hit, everything slower to reflect hand delivering messages. Fire control computer destroyed, guess you aren’t hitting poo poo. Torp launcher hit, entire ship explodes. Whoops, carrier is accidentally filled with fuel fumes, next HE hit sends ships into LEO.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Clarence posted:

Got detonated in my Scharnhorst today by a torpedo hit right on the bow. Fun and engaging...

I got my full health Bismarck one shot by a Midways dive bombers. A new fun mechanic they've just added.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah, if you watch femme stream cv's, she just sends her bombers straight for german bb's and routinely chunks off 75% of their health with 2 squads.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

They need to add other random bullshit events like detonation in the game. Random hit tot the bridge kills the captain, all captain skills are disabled. Damage control team hit, now that ability is disabled. Generator hit, everything slower to reflect hand delivering messages. Fire control computer destroyed, guess you aren’t hitting poo poo. Torp launcher hit, entire ship explodes. Whoops, carrier is accidentally filled with fuel fumes, next HE hit sends ships into LEO.

That would gently caress small ships even more. Destroyers crew would get slaughtered while everything on a battleship is hidden in a citadel

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
How does the Kii rate? I got one from a box and wonder if it can be used in Ranked. Seems like an Amagi but with torps too, but I'm still on the Nagato and not sure if the Amagi is any good.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

How does the Kii rate? I got one from a box and wonder if it can be used in Ranked. Seems like an Amagi but with torps too, but I'm still on the Nagato and not sure if the Amagi is any good.

Amagi is fantastic.

Kii has USN-level AA, and (completely useless) torpedoes. In exchange it gets worse armour and less accurate guns. Overall I'd say it's slightly worse, but it depends on how much you hate planes.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

You can surprise carriers with your solid AA now and again but the lack or accuracy and armor will frustrate.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Sometimes you surprise people with the torps. I got a Leningrad of all things with them recently.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
word of advice to amagi's who just learned their ship has a turtleback:
its not as good as the german turtleback, you WILL get penned through when you need it the most and it does jack poo poo against plunging shells

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Krogort posted:

That would gently caress small ships even more. Destroyers crew would get slaughtered while everything on a battleship is hidden in a citadel

No kidding. Just like detonation fucks over DDs more.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Conversely, DDs also benefit the most from the similarly idiotic damage saturation mechanic. I understand why it's in the game, but holy hell is it infuriating to hit an enemy DD with a torpedo in a knifefight, with damage RNG resulting in him surviving at like 20 hp, and then watch as your attempts to finish him off do jack poo poo. Or those dumb videos of a DD eating like 8 torpedoes.

Really, underwater hull sections just be excluded from that mechanic.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I dunno what to do with the Amagi because it isn't spectacular up close ( 8KM-ish or less ) due to being approximately eight miles long, but it also isn't consistently accurate at range and it isn't exactly hard to miss, either. It just hasn't clicked with me.

:shrug:

What's the Hipper good at? I'm going to start Hippering tomorrow and Flamu's video is old as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What's the Hipper good at?
It's not really good at anything, but it's not really bad at anything either. It can fling HE decently, the AP is good up close, but it's hard to find your way into positions to use it. It has torpedos, but again, finding your way into torpedo range is tough. It's basically a tease of what you'll be able to enjoy with the roon/hindenburg. Certain maps, like shatter, might allow you to do some fun stuff with the ship.