Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ShaneB posted:

I was using an old good camera bag I had lying around for a few years. The PirateLab case makes it seem like a joke. Get it and forget it. The foam is soooo much more dense and it has pockets and features that are designed specifically for nerd cardboard crack habits.

It looked kinda small? Are you putting deckboxes in there or loose cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=118373

4x inspiring statuary seems interesting - I don’t think I’ve seen vehicles decks running that before

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I'm surprised vampires aren't taking off more, they were the only tribe that was fringe playable before the bans and now it's fallen off.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Salt tasted good. :allears:

Also, RIX sealed is solid. 6-1 so far.

lol that dude has a choice username, too. I'm sure he's just a really big fan of Tarentino movies :allears:

Tainen posted:

During the semifinals draft at the GP there were three packs that contained non foil duplicate commons and a Russian pack somehow.

https://twitter.com/pvddr/status/955258158632579073

Idk about Russian packs but I have seen 2 XLN boosters with duplicate commons in drafts at my LGS so far, one of which I opened myself. It just happens apparently.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 22, 2018

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Is there any good reason that Heart of Kiran is 11tix online but $2 in paper?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

AceClown posted:

Is there any good reason that Heart of Kiran is 11tix online but $2 in paper?

Mythic Rare from a small set that is no longer draftable.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Dehtraen posted:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=118373

4x inspiring statuary seems interesting - I don’t think I’ve seen vehicles decks running that before

See the low amount of land? They typo’d the name. These were 4 Inspiring Vantages, I’m pretty sure.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DurdleDuck posted:

See the low amount of land? They typo’d the name. These were 4 Inspiring Vantages, I’m pretty sure.

Or maybe the deck didn't run 4 of its most important land to spend its turn 3 applying no pressure to give aggro pieces the ability to apply no pressure to cast Hazy with fewer lands. Nothing's stronger than a mana ramp card that does nothing for 28 of the 41 spells!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

It looked kinda small? Are you putting deckboxes in there or loose cards?

It fits 6+ deckboxes. Their website has a ton of photos and even size compatibility with many popular deckboxes.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ShaneB posted:

It fits 6+ deckboxes. Their website has a ton of photos and even size compatibility with many popular deckboxes.

I'll agree with PirateLab cases. I have the small and big ones; for events / collection purposes respectively and it's awesome to keep my poo poo contained and orderly.

Works GREAT with the Boulder deckboxes

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Get the 2 row max one on Amazon. The layout of the default one is kinda dumb. I don't need a Clif bar/dice bag slot.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I initially thought it would be cool to play merfolk this standard; but looking at the events this last weekend, I'm now torn between the two jankiest decks to come out of them with good results: WU Auras or UR Winds.

...I think I can have fun with standard again now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

InterrupterJones posted:

I initially thought it would be cool to play merfolk this standard; but looking at the events this last weekend, I'm now torn between the two jankiest decks to come out of them with good results: WU Auras or UR Winds.

Merfolk is kind of a trap right now. The mythic is showing up in lists as a 4 of and is playing mediocre at best right now. 80$ on a playset of a card that might end up being just EDH fodder is not great.

Jadelight ranger is the best card in the deck and it really looks like its going to be a player in much better decks.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 22, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm not going to complain about the Kumena hype since I was able to trade off a stamped Kumena to a True Believer for practically everything I needed to turn my energy shell into Grixis Midrange Goodstuff (also featuring a smattering of energy) from the mana base on up.

I think if any tribe is going to make it in standard it'll be Vamps IMO. I'd like to see a B/W version. Seems like it could get there now that it has good tools to keep gassed with Upside Bob and that 5 drop that fills your hand? Plus a nice cheap Man-them. But again I make no claims to being good at magic. :shrug:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 22, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Walked posted:

I'll agree with PirateLab cases. I have the small and big ones; for events / collection purposes respectively and it's awesome to keep my poo poo contained and orderly.

Works GREAT with the Boulder deckboxes

How many boulders fit in the standard layout with the dumb side slot?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Went 3-0 and drew twice into top8 at a sealed pptq yesterday with a very solid rg dinos pool featuring raging regisaur and immortal sun, 3rd seed with a nice 69% OMW%. Drafted an agressive RB pirate heavy list with 3 Moment of craving, a reaver ambush, and a fiery cannonade. Promptly got crushed r1, finishing g1 and g3 with only mountains in play and black cards in hand. To be fair though, I won handily g2. If people want to see pools/decks, i can post pics later here or in the limited thread.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'm not going to complain about the Kumena hype since I was able to trade off a stamped Kumena to a True Believer for practically everything I needed to turn my energy shell into Grixis Midrange Goodstuff (also featuring a smattering of energy) from the mana base on up.

I think if any tribe is going to make it in standard it'll be Vamps IMO. I'd like to see a B/W version. Seems like it could get there now that it has good tools to keep gassed with Upside Bob and that 5 drop that fills your hand? Plus a nice cheap Man-them. But again I make no claims to being good at magic. :shrug:

I think vampires could be good but I think what it attempts to do the b/w tokens deck does better. I think the bigger issue is that its card quality card for card is poorer than other decks while its synergy doesn't give great payouts either.

Both these cards could have been good payoff cards but just weren't tuned properly. The first is just a 2/4 flyer for 4 on its own, yuck. The second is just vanilla 4/4 outside the conditional card draw. No flying at the very least? Good luck against agressive decks where the life lost could be a liability.

This is probably the better payoff than the other two and is that really good enough? I doubt it.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 22, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/rosewattastone/status/955439928837623808

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

I've been outside the game for a while and only returned for the Ixalan pre-release and now the RIX one + 2 drafts.

Bought some cards to put together a BG or BUG constrictor deck (now without relying much on energy?) , got 2 questions if anyone can help:

a) I see Lifecracker's Bestiary usually on sideboard ... what are we using it against?

b) Hadana's Climb seem like it could be pretty good on a Sultai version or am i wrong? been thinking a lightly splash of blue for it + scarabgod + nissa (with servants of conduit to help)?

e: scarabgod not scorpion :derp:

madstrike fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 22, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

If we can talk about dumb pet cards from the new set this would be mine.

A vanilla edict for 3 isn't great but did a conditional 4 life make the previous one so much better? I think the conditional clause on this one is pretty achievable by token decks and the conditional effect is pretty devastating. Just seems to be a lot of power level there that needs a home.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

madstrike posted:

I've been outside the game for a while and only returned for the Ixalan pre-release and now the RIX one + 2 drafts.

Bought some cards to put together a BG or BUG constrictor deck (now without relying much on energy?) , got 2 questions if anyone can help:

a) I see Lifecracker's Bestiary usually on sideboard ... what are we using it against?

b) Hadana's Climb seem like it could be pretty good on a Sultai version or am i wrong? been thinking a lightly splash of blue for it + scorpiongod + nissa (with servants of conduit to help)?

a) It's for grindy controlling matchups where card advantage matters in the long term...

b) So you might want to splash U for Negate and TSG anyway which makes this more interesting. The card seems a LITTLE win more but it's effect is powerful enough that it's worth trying. You can't play it with less than 4x Ballista though since that's it's just synergy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

A vanilla edict for 3 isn't great but did a conditional 4 life make the previous one so much better? I think the conditional clause on this one is pretty achievable by token decks and the conditional effect is pretty devastating. Just seems to be a lot of power level there that needs a home.

The power level isn't any better than something like River's Rebuke. It's probably worse.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sickening posted:

I'm not sold. By the time you ascend, Control "Has a Response", a big stompy ramp thing will just pitch their rampy dorks to it and keep turning int_big/int_big tramplers sideways, and go-wide tokens crumbles harder to Golden Demise.

But my pet stupid unplayable pet black RIX rare is Matermind's Acquisition, so I really shouldn't talk.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

InterrupterJones posted:

Both of these decks are great and I like standard again.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I can't decide if this is referring to a spending bill without any poison pill riders or if the the dinosaur himself is named Bill Brontodon and he has good clean fun.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

UberJew posted:

I swear to god if any other competitive scene was run like magic you'd have people constantly apologizing for folks getting caught with an entire shelf full of steroids in their locker as 'just a one time mistake'

This is basically MMA.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

4 life was nearly guaranteed in the Esper dragon deck and is a very good deal for a control deck to help it get to the end game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

4 life was nearly guaranteed in the Esper dragon deck and is a very good deal for a control deck to help it get to the end game.

Also that particular card isn’t going off until turn 5 and that’s with the nut draw

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

It says each opponent and the ascend is very easily achievable in commander so it's pretty great there. Not seeing it for real constructed formats though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That card is garbage for commander.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Toshimo posted:

That card is garbage for commander.

Anything beside the land good for city's blessing cards? I am not seeing any.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

En Fuego posted:

Anything beside the land good for city's blessing cards? I am not seeing any.

I wouldn't play any of them, even in a low power meta. Maybe the saproling one if you had a saproling deck, but otherwise, no.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ShaneB posted:

How many boulders fit in the standard layout with the dumb side slot?

The small one fits six perfectly. No clue on the big one as I use it with longer boxes for commons/uncommons.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
That Bant Approach list by Jim Davis is gas and actually fun to play.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Patrick Sullivan was back this week with another piece on recent design this time talking about instant vs sorcery speed abilities framed around Profane Procession and Scarab God. Isn't as ranty as the Chupacabra piece but he still has a lot of good points.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/220535693?t=15504s

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

You could do this for the 4 other basics too. It's not like Islands have a monopoly on not strictly accurate respresentations in basic art.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Sickening posted:

I think vampires could be good but I think what it attempts to do the b/w tokens deck does better. I think the bigger issue is that its card quality card for card is poorer than other decks while its synergy doesn't give great payouts either.

Both these cards could have been good payoff cards but just weren't tuned properly. The first is just a 2/4 flyer for 4 on its own, yuck. The second is just vanilla 4/4 outside the conditional card draw. No flying at the very least? Good luck against agressive decks where the life lost could be a liability.

This is probably the better payoff than the other two and is that really good enough? I doubt it.

Champion of Dusk is almost always draw 1, so it's not that bad without a big board of vamps. Just not super.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cereal bowl island is still the best one.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Toshimo posted:

I wouldn't play any of them, even in a low power meta. Maybe the saproling one if you had a saproling deck, but otherwise, no.

People are testing Tendershoot Dryad in Yisan lists to have an army-in-a-can at that CMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Entropic posted:

You could do this for the 4 other basics too. It's not like Islands have a monopoly on not strictly accurate respresentations in basic art.

:thejoke:
You.

Read the last one.