Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I still think filling the outside of the map with leviathans was a dumb thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Digirat posted:

I still think filling the outside of the map with leviathans was a dumb thing to do

Yeah, a wall ringing the area would be much better than losing a Cyclops out of nowhere, especially in a game that encourages exploration of the unknown. A quarantine shield of some sort would even fit the story.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

"But... my immersion" i say as i am devoured by a bullshit angry giant ghost fish

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nah no wall needed, it's just way cooler and scarier when there really is nothing at all but void out there

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I loved the void it was both frightening and boring, vast and empty.

The kill reapers was loving stupid, it basically sapped it of all its wonder, anf it doesnt make any sort of narrative or worldbuilding sense that I can tell.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Digirat posted:

Nah no wall needed, it's just way cooler and scarier when there really is nothing at all but void out there

That'd be fine as well. In that case, it would be nice to have a UI indicator towards the playable area, since it'd suck to lose your bearings and have people getting lost indefinitely.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guess the female character isn't happening if it's not in yet

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bunch of Twitch streamers have been playing this lately. It's been a lot of fun watching people discover the game fresh and I'm sad I won't have that feeling again, but at least I've never explored the lava zone so I do have something to look forward to :)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Guess the female character isn't happening if it's not in yet
It's on the admitted to be "Pipe dreams that will probably never happen" Maybe After 1.0 list. Which includes things such as craftable teleporters, personal jetpack, new biomes, base attacks (The subject of which brought on the '"After 1.0 list will probably never happen" response.) and working clocks.

I can understand them not wanting to work on more model. But I always get a giggle that things like "A clock" are cast into the same massive workload vaporware pile as implementing the infuser.

Also, can you see your own head if you activate the 3rd person camera yet? They did a good job on scuba dude, so it felt like a waste his head only existed in Ads and trailers. Regardless of "Well it's a 1st person game so who cares". Just one of those inconsequential details I wish was in the game to show off the stuff they are really, really good at more.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 22, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wasn’t there already a model for a female character?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zesty posted:

Wasn’t there already a model for a female character?

https://sketchfab.com/models/cccc8b4f8f354076b8d125601ca38354

Still needs a couple of the other suits. But yeah, sometime after 1.0

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
You should start with the blueprint for beacons :bahgawd: I have no sense of direction :bahgawd:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

You should start with the blueprint for beacons :bahgawd: I have no sense of direction :bahgawd:
No joke, the reason the Devs give for pulling Beacons from the default list was "We don't want to confuse players with too many items at first".

Because nothing reduces confusion like being unable to mark off locations in a game without a map that does not start you with a compass. Unless you've played the game dozens of times so you can can navigate the whole thing with your eyes closed and thus don't think it's a big deal. Maybe throw around the words 'silver platter' for good measure.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 22, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dongattack posted:

Use the Aurora to orient yourself. It's actually kinda neat having to surface sometimes to get a sense of where you are.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Section Z posted:

Unless you've played the game dozens of times so you can can navigate the whole thing with your eyes closed and thus don't think it's a big deal.
I still think this is a big reason that a lot of the changes the staff have made are kind of dumb. When you're developing a game and know it inside and out and you're only really taking input from people who've played dozens of hours or more you wind up doing things that make the game less accessible simply because you've already internalized everything to know about it already. I mean if you already know where all the locations are and which techs to rush for and items to build first and which food to cultivate and such the game is pretty easy... but a genuine new player won't know any of that. So thinks like beacons and compasses being early and easy to get, waypoints to the more important landmarks, and stuff like that is actually kind of important.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Away all Goats posted:

Use the Aurora to orient yourself. It's actually kinda neat having to surface sometimes to get a sense of where you are.

Yeah, I've been playing this game since it hit early access so i pretty much know where everything is more or less. But i still need markers to beeline for my base from across the map for instance, but i'm using one of the "distress call" markers for now since the one near the seamoth bay is actually a p dope location for a base.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Dongattack posted:

Thermal charger for Cyclops is good now tho, charges at a very reasonable pace.

Yeah I've never had to recharge the cells myself since getting that which is pretty cool

Section Z posted:

No joke, the reason the Devs give for pulling Beacons from the default list was "We don't want to confuse players with too many items at first".

Because nothing reduces confusion like being unable to mark off locations in a game without a map that does not start you with a compass. Unless you've played the game dozens of times so you can can navigate the whole thing with your eyes closed and thus don't think it's a big deal. Maybe throw around the words 'silver platter' for good measure.

I think the only skill I have is a near perfect memory for area layouts in video games. I can perfectly remember zones in everquest that I've only been to once 16 years ago, but I've forgotten literally everything important since then because my brain doesn't work

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Michael Bayleaf posted:

I think the only skill I have is a near perfect memory for area layouts in video games. I can perfectly remember zones in everquest that I've only been to once 16 years ago, but I've forgotten literally everything important since then because my brain doesn't work
:same:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

GlyphGryph posted:

I loved the void it was both frightening and boring, vast and empty.

The kill reapers was loving stupid, it basically sapped it of all its wonder, anf it doesnt make any sort of narrative or worldbuilding sense that I can tell.

(plot spoilers, since the game is coming out soon I don't want to accidentally ruin anyone's enjoyment of the storyline) Since the infection is being mitigated by the presence of the peepers spreading Enzyme 42 into the ecosystem, they could always say that going outside that ecosystem makes the infection progress at an accelerated rate. Your PDA could warn you that this region is making you sicker and the choices are turn back or die.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Digirat posted:

Or even, at least, if they only showed up when you were quite a long way away, and kept a distance at first.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Threatening shadows in the distance that didn't immediately attack but made it clear that here there be dragons would be much better than what we got.

You can see your own head with the camera drones.

Are the beacons at least found very close in the safe shallows? Since they require resources to build making them unlock only after a bit of exploring isnt a terrible idea and actually makes them more noticeable, especially since most players wouldnt think or need or be able to build one after exploring the shallows for a while anyway. early game was always about navigating via the aurora and landmarks and the lifepod built in beacon so thats not much of a change

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I think beacon fragments are real close to and in the spawn area. I remember on my latest save finding them pretty quickly, maybe around the nearby cliffs to the Kelp Forest.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Ya, they're in the small debris fields or micro-wrecks or whatever in the Shallows and probably scattered around a few other places.

Most awkward things going into 1.0 are the new Prawn depth upgrades and silver scarcity remaining a problem even into late-game. Also some really old bugs like knifing a planter, fish swimming into base, and Prawn falling through the world that I guess are impossible to fix.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Beacon fragments are at the safe shallows/grassy plateau border, but they are a bit small and hard to spot. Just need two tho.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
What do I need to do in order to get fabricators to pull materials from nearby storage? If I have to literally learn unity and code this poo poo up as some mod I'm about at that level of need...

Is it safe to start a new game? Will it be compatible with 1.0? Are they still constantly shoving patches through? I haven't been watching their trello.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Bhodi posted:

What do I need to do in order to get fabricators to pull materials from nearby storage? If I have to literally learn unity and code this poo poo up as some mod I'm about at that level of need...

Is it safe to start a new game? Will it be compatible with 1.0? Are they still constantly shoving patches through? I haven't been watching their trello.

Yeah son do it, you'll be a hero.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yeah son do it, you'll be a hero.
I took a little peek at this and while modding is kind of unofficially supported, they're either shaders (reshade and the like) or modifications of the world via saved games. There aren't any hooks into doing it in an even moderately easy fashion :smith:

e: looked at their trello, builds have been frozen since the 11th

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 22, 2018

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I haven't played since late 2016 when I stopped shortly after building my cyclops because I wanted to wait for release.

It's difficult to get solid confirmation but it seems like the version that's currently live is more or less the release/review version, and they are mostly just iterating on bugfixes at this point up to the 23rd?

I gather that the end of the story is being held back for release, but other than that am I missing anything by playing now?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Bhodi posted:

Do it do it do it do it

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Bhodi posted:

If I have to literally learn unity and code this poo poo up as some mod I'm about at that level of need...

Sorry friend, literal quote about modding Subnautica from the director of UWE:

Muppet posted:

“We made the game we wanted to make with Subnautica, so it’s less exciting for us to spend a bunch of effort to have the community undo it or to make splintered versions… I love mods, but I don’t see the point.”

Interview is up on RPS

Some gems in there such as Subnautica has cost roughly $9 million to dev.

Artic biome likely going to be a paid expansion post launch. That's effectively only if launch goes well since creating extra biomes is multi million dollar investment...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They are based in San Francisco so it’s probably true. Now we could probably talk a long time about how stupid it is to be a game developer in one of the most expensive cities in the world but this is not the place and it really doesn’t matter.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

So tomorrow comes around I'll actually be able to finish the storyline? Or is that planned for 'gently caress you for asking'

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol just lol if you don't move to a city that isn't expensive as poo poo when you get a huge chunk of kickstarter cash.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Im amazed they hosed up so much with presumably loads of talent around

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

9 million huh? How much profit have they made on the game then? I can't imagine they'd have survived at all if they were short just a fraction of that at any point.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

9 million huh? How much profit have they made on the game then? I can't imagine they'd have survived at all if they were short just a fraction of that at any point.

I'll guess about 8 million in profit based on their sales - 1.8 million (it's more than that but that accuracy doesn't matter in this instance nor is it possible), 30% online store cut, using 15 dollars as assumed average price it sold at and 9% Californian corporate tax I quickly Googled(it was said to be 8.84% but I simplified it for myself) and finally deducting the 9 million of dev cost. Completely non-factual and I most likely messed something up but it doesn't matter as this very imprecise anyway.

Edit: I only did this because you asked and I thought it was kind of fun.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 23, 2018

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Xik posted:

Interview is up on RPS

Some gems in there such as Subnautica has cost roughly $9 million to dev.

Artic biome likely going to be a paid expansion post launch. That's effectively only if launch goes well since creating extra biomes is multi million dollar investment...

~-My Vision!-~

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Sininu posted:

I'll guess about 8 million in profit based on their sales - 1.8 million (it's more than that but that accuracy doesn't matter in this instance nor is it possible), 30% online store cut, using 15 dollars as assumed average price it sold at and 9% Californian corporate tax I quickly Googled(it was said to be 8.84% but I simplified it for myself) and finally deducting the 9 million of dev cost. Completely non-factual and I most likely messed something up but it doesn't matter as this very imprecise anyway.

Edit: I only did this because you asked and I thought it was kind of fun.

It was part of a humble bundle, so if 1.8 million includes everyone that bought the bundle I think those calculations are a bit generous.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Xik posted:

It was part of a humble bundle, so if 1.8 million includes everyone that bought the bundle I think those calculations are a bit generous.

Subnautica was one of the games that donated "just" 100k keys for that bundle so it's not that many to skew it meaningfully in my opinion. Especially when SteamSpy owners number with margin of error is this : 1,829,205 ± 42,782.
Still these calculations are done with with imprecise information (only thing that I'm sure about there is the retailer cut as it has been leaked and discussed too many times) and without knowing how stuff really works. I don't want anyone to take this as serious analysis.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Xik posted:

Interview is up on RPS

Man. I tried to withhold judgment, and I know next to nothing about what game development is like, but these guys have a really weird relationship with their player base. Not every game needs mods, but for a company who based the entire game's development around continuous interaction with the players, and who fielded so many conflicting ideas about what the game should be from said players, to not spend a bit of time opening up the field for the community to make their desired changes (and likely expand the player base and extend engagement with the game) is really odd, and strikes me as insecure.