Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Arsenal really needed another central midfielder with no defensive workrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cautiously optimistic, this is probably a much better deal then whatever cash we'd have got for Sanchez

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeovil are so hosed

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I give it 6 weeks before Sanchez and Mourinho have a funny falling out on the touchline.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Shrapnig posted:

Our central midfield has been devoid of creativity so yes actually

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I like the disparity in announcement tweets between Man U and Arsenal.

Mikhitaryan's looks like he's got a column in the local paper about library opening hours whilst Sanchez looks like hes in the WWE.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

He was fine at pressing at Dortmund, it’s your tactics mate

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cant believe Memphis Depay's 7 kit was given away haphazardly.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
So how many millions did united pay to maybe finish in second place?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Brony Car posted:

I don't like that Arsenal and Manchester United are getting new blood. This window sucks. There is also little to no basis for more cool and funny Liverpool subreddit videos since it looks like Liverpool are not buying anyone in January.

sebzilla posted:

Apart from van Dijk?
He’ll never recover.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I hope Baldiola City will have a meltdown and United win the league.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

sebzilla posted:

Apart from van Dijk?

Xabi posted:

He’ll never recover.

The Liverpool subreddit already made tons of Van Dijk hype videos. That's done.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/955500480582500353

Here's the announcement video lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That's a great vid tbh

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sake

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Lmao

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
i mean at least Arsenal got a good player out of it. not bad considering how badly Wenger hosed the whole thing up. He must walk

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It really feels pathetic that Arsenal are the only "big club" in England that repeatedly sells first-team players to its rivals. I'm so bummed out

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I mean they either sold him or he walks into City for free and gets a big signing bonus... I think selling was the only option. They'd have been morons otherwise. It's a shame no one outside England were willing to cave to his absurd wage demands, but it is what it is...

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Vegetable posted:

It really feels pathetic that Arsenal are the only "big club" in England that repeatedly sells first-team players to its rivals. I'm so bummed out

Arsenal are the Roma of England.

Speaking of, Chelsea might actually sign Dzeko and Emerson Palmieri, and James Palotta saying "Roma are not a supermarket for other clubs" is getting funnier by the day.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Gigi Galli posted:

Arsenal are the Roma of England.

Speaking of, Chelsea might actually sign Dzeko and Emerson Palmieri, and James Palotta saying "Roma are not a supermarket for other clubs" is getting funnier by the day.

On the other hand, Roma are getting like €40m for a nearly 32 year old Edin Dzeko.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MrBling posted:

On the other hand, Roma are getting like €40m for a nearly 32 year old Edin Dzeko.

Edin Dzeko is good

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This is insanely stupid.

T Bowl posted:

I mean they either sold him or he walks into City for free and gets a big signing bonus... I think selling was the only option. They'd have been morons otherwise. It's a shame no one outside England were willing to cave to his absurd wage demands, but it is what it is...

Yeah he obviously had to be sold. Letting him go to United on a free would have been even more embarrassing. But this whole thing was horribly handled by Arsenal for years, and they’re a joke team for clowns.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

MrBling posted:

Yeah, scoring once every 180 minutes or so.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I am glad it's United and not City tbh, I think Sanchez would have played way better for City and would have had more chances at trophies than United look likely to provide.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

T Bowl posted:

At this time, of course, this is probably the optimal decision. But they've been sitting on it for, what, two years now. It's hard to believe something else couldn't have been done. Alexis will absolutely be great for United. People making GBS threads on him don't watch him enough. He'll score and make enough goals to outweigh his strops.

These past ten years have been awful in terms of losing players to rival clubs. First it was Ashley Cole, which was a sign of things to come. Fabregas was really sucky, but it was understandable. Then Robin van Persie and the City contingent (Clichy, Nasri, Adebayor, Sagna, Toure).

Pires recently came out in an interview, baffled at how Arsenal keeps losing their best players to domestic rivals. The answer is pretty obvious, but it doesn't make things any less disappointing.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the target audience for these insanely retarded videos

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

oliwan posted:

What is the target audience for these insanely retarded videos

Me

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

It was probably the best option for Arsenal considering the years of mismanagement that preceded it (and that they still haven't fixed since Ozil will leave on a free in the summer)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/Inter/status/955507857381670912

I guess Rafinha was bad after all, since Barcelona let him go to Inter.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Sanchez did a post on instagram where he pointedly thanks everyone who works at Arsenal except Wenger. Also seems to imply that Henry told him to leave which is pretty lol.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Shrapnig posted:

It’s a shirt number, who loving cares.

actually I think you'll find that it's imbued with the pioneering spirit of great United number 7s like Lee Sharpe and Danny "not that one" Wallace

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Vegetable posted:

I assume Mikhitaryan's in the Rosicky/Cazorla mold of a playmaker who'll get stuck on the wings.

This is a really poo poo deal, Alexis is going to be great for United. I hate this.

Mkhitaryan is talented but imo he is mentally weak and possibly not suited to the premier league. He was very good for United in the Europa League last season though, if he helps you win that then it's a good signing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

actually I think you'll find that it's imbued with the pioneering spirit of great United number 7s like Lee Sharpe and Danny "not that one" Wallace

Don't forget England Superstar Michael Owen

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Cautiously optimistic, this is probably a much better deal then whatever cash we'd have got for Sanchez

Mean Bean Machine posted:

i mean at least Arsenal got a good player out of it. not bad considering how badly Wenger hosed the whole thing up. He must walk

I am a fan of Micky but he has rarely seemed up to the speed of the league. Needs more time on the ball than is generally available.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vegetable posted:

This is a really poo poo deal, Alexis is going to be great for United. I hate this.

When he's up for it, Mkhitaryan is a loving magician who will pull off poo poo most other players wouldn't even attempt. If Wenger can motivate him and get him firing again, he'll be amazing for Arsenal.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Lot 49 posted:

0Sanchez did a post on instagram where he pointedly thanks everyone who works at Arsenal except Wenger. Also seems to imply that Henry told him to leave which is pretty lol.

Henry has been been pretty critical of Wenger especially after Wenger told him to choose between doing his badges/youth team coaching or punditry (unsurprisingly Henry chose the punditry). Basically Wenger should have never been retained after winning the FA cup against Hull. But, since Arsenal are a fail and poorly operated club he was because they had zero plans in place to make any transition. Since then they've retained him again and only this year started to build a structure where he could be more easily replaced. As for Alexis...it is hard to say how much was a failing of the club to not retain the player or the manager or the player not wanting to stay (why would he?). Really the biggest loving fail from this club was the year Leicester City won the league and Arsenal signed loving no one in the summer nor January.

With all of that BS said (and nice meltdown) flipping Sanchez into Mkhitaryan is probably the best the club could do. Getting $35 million for Sanchez doesn't really do any good when no one knows who or what the gently caress they're trying to sign and since they turned a soon to be non-player into another player that they were after before is decent enough I guess. It really doesn't change the fact that they're still the 6th best team in the league and adding Aubameyang probably doesn't change that either. Sanchez makes Utd better without a doubt, but it doesn't address the fact that DdG is the only reason they are where they are right now and if he regresses or leaves the Mourinho meltdown will be in full swing.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

I want a job making terrible announcement videos for clubs, how do I make this happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

fat gay nonce posted:

I want a job making terrible announcement videos for clubs, how do I make this happen

a lovely half-try communications degree should do

• Locked thread