Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I remembered my specific issue with the Netgear, which is that it can't do baby jumbo frames and the Vigor 130 can. This might not be relevant to you at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

skipdogg posted:

Start with the basics. If you can pull good speeds wired to the gateway, you know that piece is working fine. Wireless is a bitch to troubleshoot though. What's the house like? Newer construction or older?

I have a set of AV500 powerline adapters, and I can pull 80-120 mbit through them with no problem. Your not plugging them into any sort of surge protector are you? Try changing outlets around, see if one is better than the other.
How hard would it be to run a couple of Cat5 lines? If it's a single story house with attic access, fishing a couple lines isn't too hard. They make a flat ethernet cable that can easily be tucked down near baseboards as well.

There's lots of options to improve your situation.

The house was built in 2017, and is two-story without an attic or basement. If I can do it well and paint it to match the baseboards, I might be able to run one point to point ethernet cable just inside the house along the baseboard and down the stairs that would solve the worst of my problems.

I'm disappointed to hear that my wifi woes seem to be unique to my situation and not characteristic of the 5268ac. I'm going to keep working to fix this, because it's been really disappointing for the couple months I've been here.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Carpet posted:

VDSL's 40-80Mb FTTC, depending on package. Currently only on 6Mb ADSL but am considering upgrading. Might get the Draytek if it'll be future proof then, but don't think I'm at any risk of going over 100Mb anytime soon!

Have you considered a solution from our friends at TP-LINK? Looks like £30 (on sale) for a TD-W9970, which is ADSL2+/VDSL2, 2.4GHz b/g/n. If your wireless needs are more than "trash garbage," their 2.4GHz/5GHz DSL units seem to start about £64.78.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

The house was built in 2017, and is two-story without an attic or basement. If I can do it well and paint it to match the baseboards, I might be able to run one point to point ethernet cable just inside the house along the baseboard and down the stairs that would solve the worst of my problems.

I'm disappointed to hear that my wifi woes seem to be unique to my situation and not characteristic of the 5268ac. I'm going to keep working to fix this, because it's been really disappointing for the couple months I've been here.

What about using powerline adapters?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rakeris posted:

What about using powerline adapters?

I've got an AV2000 kit that has a really hard time doing any better than 50mbps, and usually does lower. I've tested it with a variety of devices on both ends and just think that the circuit jump is hard for it. Almost all the circuits in this house have AFCI, which I know can mess with transmission, and it's also having to jump from a breaker panel to a subpanel in order to get from one floor to another.

I feel like I've got a lot of small things that add up to a tough-to-cover house. It's also really long and skinny, and my neighbors house walls are 6 feet from my walls and they have lots of WAPs too.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Earl of Lavender posted:

Have you considered a solution from our friends at TP-LINK? Looks like £30 (on sale) for a TD-W9970, which is ADSL2+/VDSL2, 2.4GHz b/g/n. If your wireless needs are more than "trash garbage," their 2.4GHz/5GHz DSL units seem to start about £64.78.

Interesting, that would cost me less, but I'm not sure the second one is officially available in the UK - looks like a continental Europe/Australia model. The closest one looks to be the Archer VR900 v2 for £95?

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Carpet posted:

Interesting, that would cost me less, but I'm not sure the second one is officially available in the UK - looks like a continental Europe/Australia model. The closest one looks to be the Archer VR900 v2 for £95?

Whoops, yeah, the VR200 doesn't appear on TP-LINK's UK site, but the VR400 does - £60 on sale at Amazon?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What's a good transmit power to set a secondary WAP that I only want devices in one room to connect to? 40? 30? Thanks for all the free help you guys have been giving me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

thiazi posted:

I've ordered two UAP-AC-LITES and I'm trying to figure out best places to locate them to cover my house. Any opinions on whether I should do one per floor centrally, or do one on right side and one on left side of the house (or a combination)? I realize this will depend building to building, but general guidelines or successes would be helpful. It will be much easier to run cabling if I can do a left/right split on the second floor as I have already got cables pulled up into the attic.

Depends on where it gets used most honestly. I'd suggest putting it in a place that has line of sight to the most places, or most frequently used places.
Then again, I'd be willing to sacrifice not getting AC speeds in the guest bedroom (that I never enter) in exchange for getting AC speeds in 75% of the rest of the floor.

Armacham posted:

ER-X is on a good sale at Newegg right now for anyone looking.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...0W-00080&cm_sp=

39.99 with free shipping with code EMCXEEY35

Linked to a buddy. Good catch. Too bad the sale on UAP-Pro's just ended.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Twerk from Home posted:

You can always run an Ethernet on the outside of the house. It's not ideal but if you get some outside rated cable and paint it to match the house it shouldn't be too noticeable. No worse than the hack satellite dish jobs I see installed around me. If you have an interior wall in the same place on the top and bottom floors, it's pretty easy to drop a cable between floors in the wall cavity as well.

Another thought, if the place is wired for cable you could try some MoCA or HPNA adapters. Not ideal, but another option. MoCA 2.0 looks like it'll get you 600Mbit, and there seems to be some fancy new bonded adapters that promise 1Gbps.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

Not cheap, but could be worth it if they work as advertised.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Another thought, if the place is wired for cable you could try some MoCA or HPNA adapters. Not ideal, but another option. MoCA 2.0 looks like it'll get you 600Mbit, and there seems to be some fancy new bonded adapters that promise 1Gbps.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

Not cheap, but could be worth it if they work as advertised.

I've got three of those in my house and iperf3 shows that I'm really only getting about 350mbps, off coax that predates our buying the house in 2003. I'm happy enough with them.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Weirdly my Archer C7 occasionally will stop allowing connections to the wifi and require a power down/reboot, and my newish Acer notebook will take the wireless newtwork down completely. ANybody else have this problem? From some research the former problem might be related to frequency of DHCP lease renewal for whatever reason, and the latter a chipset conflict between the laptop and the router itself. Does any of this make sense?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Weirdly my Archer C7 occasionally will stop allowing connections to the wifi and require a power down/reboot, and my newish Acer notebook will take the wireless newtwork down completely. ANybody else have this problem? From some research the former problem might be related to frequency of DHCP lease renewal for whatever reason, and the latter a chipset conflict between the laptop and the router itself. Does any of this make sense?

Yes, after dealing with this for a month or so, I spent an hour reading about potential solutions on the internet, concluded that nothing fixed it definitively and it wasn't worth my time to try and fix it with the intermittent nature of the problem. Bought an ER-X and an AC Lite, spent 20 minutes setting them up, spent 2 minutes on craigslist seeing that there are multiple stale $40 listings for C7s, and then threw it in my "to donate" pile instead. Done.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Earl of Lavender posted:

Whoops, yeah, the VR200 doesn't appear on TP-LINK's UK site, but the VR400 does - £60 on sale at Amazon?

Thanks, I might just get that as it'll save me some money. The Ubiquiti kit, though nice and flash, probably isn't worth when I'll just have the one AP.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Kreez posted:

Yes, after dealing with this for a month or so, I spent an hour reading about potential solutions on the internet, concluded that nothing fixed it definitively and it wasn't worth my time to try and fix it with the intermittent nature of the problem. Bought an ER-X and an AC Lite, spent 20 minutes setting them up, spent 2 minutes on craigslist seeing that there are multiple stale $40 listings for C7s, and then threw it in my "to donate" pile instead. Done.

same lol

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Thanks for all the advice people, I've ordered the TP-Link VR400 now.

Now I just need to work out how much it would cost/if it's worth it to replace the internal phone wiring in this rental. Before the router issues it was causing me problems due to a rather convoluted setup. ADSL connection was fine when connected directly to the master socket, but not to the socket in the living room. The socket in the living room is also on the wrong side of french windows, so someone has previously put in an extension cable like this one, adding maybe 7M.

Did a bit of reading up earlier and unscrewed the faceplates and worked out the wiring setup:

(not sure what it's like in the US, but here it's all 2-pair wiring, though the 3rd is the bell wire and the 4th isn't used)

Looks like in the bedroom an extension slave socket is used as per this site and the wiring is doubled up on the IDCs there, which I think is legit*, but it does mean my router is right at the end of all this wiring.

*"In a series circuit, two cables may enter the socket box and each terminal will have two inner cores connected, each core being inserted individually"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chaining the sockets together like that is fine since you're connected at the end of the chain. If you plugged the router into the bedroom socket then you'd find that the un-terminated living room end would pick up interference - though DSL is designed to work with reasonably poo poo wiring so whether that would cause any problems is debatable.

If you give a toss then I'd take the bedroom socket off and gel-crimp the wires together (so blue to blue, blue/white to blue/white), and put a blanking plate where the phone socket used to be - nobody uses corded telephones any more so they won't miss it. If they are actually solid orange and green then the pair's been split which will be destroying your DSL signal. Then change the extension lead for a twisted-pair one.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Nah, they're not solid colour cables, just how I drew the diagram - they are the proper blue/white and orange/white.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the two connected wires are blue and orange then the pair's been split and it would be worth fixing that. Only connect wires to terminals 2 and 5.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
No they aren't split, just using two totally different colours for the diagram.

This is the bedroom socket wiring - you can see how it's doubled up with the wiring from the master socket, and the wiring going to the living room socket.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/115mZKGAiw00w1u4DJgRFOqwvY338CRu9/view

Any good resources on how to replace home network/telephone wiring? How do people work out what type of wall/cabling conduit they have without taking off the plaster? (Or is that how it's done?)

Carpet fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 24, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You don't change in-wall stuff.

It does look like the pairs have been split though - 2 and 5 are the actual line, 3 is the bell wire. 2 and 5 should be connected to the same pair - usually blue and white/blue.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Carpet posted:

No they aren't split, just using two totally different colours for the diagram.

This is the bedroom socket wiring - you can see how it's doubled up with the wiring from the master socket, and the wiring going to the living room socket.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/115mZKGAiw00w1u4DJgRFOqwvY338CRu9/view

Any good resources on how to replace home network/telephone wiring? How do people work out what type of wall/cabling conduit they have without taking off the plaster? (Or is that how it's done?)

You look at the ends.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Maybe I'm being dense, but it looks to me like the two orange/white wires are punched into 5, with blue/whites in 3, and white/blues in 2?

edit: oh I see what you mean by pair now

How do people lay new cat6 etc cabling then?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Carpet posted:

Maybe I'm being dense, but it looks to me like the two orange/white wires are punched into 5, with blue/whites in 3, and white/blues in 2?

edit: oh I see what you mean by pair now

How do people lay new cat6 etc cabling then?

Pull it through conduits.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yeah I have zero experience with this sort of stuff and everything is new to me, so apologies if I'm asking basic questions.

From some googling, it looks like the 'back box' has one knockout removed which has some plastic piping going out, or might just be a grommet. I'll assume that leads to a proper conduit. And it looks like one can use a cable tester for phone cabling same as network cabling (I have used those at work).

I might remove the "rubble" later to try and get a better idea if that piping goes any further or if it's just a grommet.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
This is a bit of a networking/linux question. I purchased an Dell R710 to do some heavy computations. This is also the first time I've ever had to deal with multiple NICs on a system. My setup is a EdgeRouterX connected to a unmanaged TP-Link 16 switch and right now with a single cable connected to the R710. I'm currently running into some issues where the server will be connect to say github to pull something and it will pull at very slow speeds, Kb/s. If I stop it and try again later it will pull at full connection speed. Where should I look to begin diagnosing issues? I've done the usual stuff, changed cables, etc. But nothing seems to be working. Since all 4 ports are currently initialized could that be causing issues?

From my understanding, if I wanted to do bonding of all 4 NICs I would need to upgrade my switch to deal with it or can I just enable bonding on the server?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Carpet posted:

Yeah I have zero experience with this sort of stuff and everything is new to me, so apologies if I'm asking basic questions.

From some googling, it looks like the 'back box' has one knockout removed which has some plastic piping going out, or might just be a grommet. I'll assume that leads to a proper conduit. And it looks like one can use a cable tester for phone cabling same as network cabling (I have used those at work).

I might remove the "rubble" later to try and get a better idea if that piping goes any further or if it's just a grommet.

I dunno how it is in the US or how it was done in the oldern days, but that looks like the end of a conduit, installations like that don't need a plug or anything really. It's just a plastic tube basically.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Carpet posted:

What are you trying to do? That cable is buried in a plastered wall, you can't really do anything with it.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I had issues when the router was connected to the extension, so for the last few months it's been connected to the master socket. I tried it again in the extension last night and it's working fine, but then it also worked fine for a couple of months after I moved (last April).

I spoke to the landlord at the time, but they seemed to think it wasn't their problem, so if I get the problems again when connected to the extension, I was thinking of having a sparky replace the wiring.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Carpet posted:

I had issues when the router was connected to the extension, so for the last few months it's been connected to the master socket. I tried it again in the extension last night and it's working fine, but then it also worked fine for a couple of months after I moved (last April).

I spoke to the landlord at the time, but they seemed to think it wasn't their problem, so if I get the problems again when connected to the extension, I was thinking of having a sparky replace the wiring.

Be sure you ok that with the landlord.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think you need to replace the wiring, you just need to connect the wires to the right place.

The cables that you see emerging into that back box will be clipped to the wall, capped with a strip of plastic and then plastered over. You aren't going to be able to replace them without having to do plastering and decorating afterwards.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Twerk from Home posted:

What's a good transmit power to set a secondary WAP that I only want devices in one room to connect to? 40? 30? Thanks for all the free help you guys have been giving me.

Since no one else answered: "it depends".

In reality, you should keep it at the default (and save your money that you'll spend on aspirin/booze), and as long as it's on a different frequency, you'll be fine - your gear will use the closest AP (strongest signal) to them*

But if you're really trying to tweak your wifi settings so you have tweak both APs so that the remote/far AP isn't stronger that the local/near AP. You do that by measuring the signal level on your device (ie: phone - get a wifi scanner app) for both APs and start lowering each side until you've got a mutual signal level on both APs that works for your site.

*- the user device has final say in which AP they associate, so might stay associated with a slightly weaker signal if that's what they were initially connected to. (sometimes called roaming aggressiveness).

Mellifluenza
Jan 8, 2018
Is there a recommended book for mastering pfSense over a couple of weekends?

I've got it routing my home network and my devices are interconnecting and accessing the internet just fine, but anything harder than that like port forwarding and setting up vlans and separate subnets and stuff just leaves me frustrated.

I respect how fully featured it is and I want to gain some kind of proficiency with it.

Edit: I've found a PDF of this book. Will give it a try at the weekend.

Mellifluenza fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 24, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Well, one of the pfSense devs recently posted this:

quote:

So, gentle readers(*), what are your ideas?
Ignore the problem, and continue to put the trademark and business at risk
Close down 'free" pfSense. Forever.
Invest the time and resources in making sure that nobody can load pfSense without authorization from Netgate
Something else?
** who am I kidding? This is Sparta Reddit.
The members of the pfSense community have enjoyed the world’s best open source firewall/VPN/router solution for years - at no charge. But, with the rise of what I occasionally call the "clone army" (pre-loaders, and yes, I've made the 'freeloaders' joke a few times), the work required to sustain the open source project is no longer financially viable under the current business model. This is what is required:
Fix bugs in FreeBSD and elsewhere.
Stay up to date with FreeBSD OS releases
Engage in extensive release testing
Port to new platforms
Develop additional features and functions requested by the community
Package and release software builds
Meanwhile, a number of, let's call them "alternate hardware suppliers", have consistently violated the pfSense CE EULA for their own business advancement, to the detriment of both pfSense as a project, and Netgate as a company.
What do you think pays for the extensive engineering? Netgate hardware sales.
EDIT:
Thanks everyone for your feedback. In an attempt to fend off even more drama, let me state again, so this is crystal clear: pfSense is not going away. pfSense is open source and it will remain open source. This situation is not about end users, it’s about those who put our trademarks at risk, and those who sell pfSense, interfering with our ability to continue to fund development.
I am now confident that offering images for espresso.bin at price of $39 would be acceptable to many (huge thanks for feedback about this one). This translates to a $49 router board with three interfaces running a fully supported pfSense at and end user cost of $78.
One can obviously continue to run x86-64 images on hardware of their choice for free but this would finally be the sub $99 router everyone asked for. As a reminder, all our ARM offers are hardware specific and paid, so I don’t think things change if we offer a low-priced espresso.bin image.
In closing, I have to openly wonder if there is something seriously broken with the few individual who portrayed my honest and open call for discussion as though we’re shutting down the project. I suppose this is part of the nature of “community”, and there will always be a few who spew hate, bile and FUD. Not much to do other than attempt to have it roll off our backs and continue doing what we love.

Which was then followed by almost everyone saying "go gently caress yourself" and threatening to jump to opnsense

So perhaps you’d instead care to learn opnsense?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

That’s unfortunate. I liked pfSense.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus. Yeah, not the least bit upset about getting away from distros like that and into an ER-X.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Does pfSense provide anything more than a UI to pf?

Mellifluenza
Jan 8, 2018

bobfather posted:

Which was then followed by almost everyone saying "go gently caress yourself" and threatening to jump to opnsense

I don't understand how that makes any difference to me as a home user, running pfSense on one of those AliExpress i3 boxes. I paid for and built the hardware box myself and then loaded pfSense on it myself, not bought from some shady "all in one" preinstalled solution from eBay.

I'm just interested in getting my head around many of the options on pfSense and achieving a level of use where I can feel comfortable NATing, opening specific ports and channels beetwen different devices and having a couple of vlans at home.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

bobfather posted:

Can I get some context? What he's saying doesn't seem terribly unreasonable just from that post...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

VostokProgram posted:

Can I get some context? What he's saying doesn't seem terribly unreasonable just from that post...

My take is people get really pissy about being charged even $1 for something.