Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Planet Coaster is Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 2. So.. fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't know... in a thread with people showing off players individually placing highway supports, intermodal containers and that one guy who hand places cracks in the road I don't think the ride is too far in of the relm of 'insane'. At 10 minutes long (give or take) station to station it's more the length of one of those 3D immersive simulations than a roller coaster but it still looks fun.

Those self-destruct alarms brought back some memories, too. Gotta go dig up the trilogy and watch them again. Or at least the first 2 movies anyway.

MikeJF posted:

How's planet coaster at making cool themed rides when you don't want to put in absurd effort?

It's got a pretty bad economic model - or at least it did the last time I played. If you want to go in with the idea of making a normal, profitable park then you'll have a tough time of it. It's really just about building the Disneyland of your dreams in sandbox mode.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MikeJF posted:

How's planet coaster at making cool themed rides when you don't want to put in absurd effort?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's got a pretty bad economic model - or at least it did the last time I played. If you want to go in with the idea of making a normal, profitable park then you'll have a tough time of it. It's really just about building the Disneyland of your dreams in sandbox mode.

Planet Coaster is to [park sim of your choice] as C:S is to [other city sim of choice] — low on management, high on bonzai factor. The modding and ability to do what you want with the base assets is where the two go different ways, for better or worse.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It took me hours to get a park running at a profit with costs on. There are a lot of things you don't really get told, like you want to try to keep ride costs at $6 per "star" on the ride, or how making your queues look pretty (read, slamming enough props down on it) is super important, or how overtraining staff is a bad idea and you want to just train people who have "high" workload and then pay them more to ensure they don't leave when mad, or how you want to set up where they work with bigger parks to avoid all of them hanging around one place and...

Just play it in sandbox mode if you want to create pretty things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, I was planning to sandbox. I meant how fiddly and annoying is it to make cool and good stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Many people are mentally ill, but few manage to create loving masterpieces as a result.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Many people are mentally ill, but few manage to create loving masterpieces as a result.

No doubt, but sitting down and making an absurdly detailed recreation of Aliens in Planet Coaster is right up the alley of the stuff that I've done due to ADHD.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If it's like me it's more like you pour a ridiculous amount of effort into it for no reason for a few weeks, get it 90% complete, and then wander off and never finish.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm not sure what happened here. I didn't place it.

But yes this was basically the easiest way to solve a traffic bottleneck from a highway.

I hope residents don't mind a little rumble from the basement.

Something else, I just picked up the game again after not having touched it for a year+ or so, went over my mods list and removed deprecated/broken ones, started a fresh city. But it seems my residential RICO buildings are all broken, every huge tower only houses a single family. Where do I begin looking for a fix? I'm also using the WG Realistic Population mod.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

turn off the TV posted:

No doubt, but sitting down and making an absurdly detailed recreation of Aliens in Planet Coaster is right up the alley of the stuff that I've done due to ADHD.

There's a guy on YouTube who uses Nolimit Coaster 2 to recreate every Rammstein tour's signature concert, complete with lighting changes and moving scaffolds. That poo poo is no joke. Give people the assets and they will go to town

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

dogstile posted:

It took me hours to get a park running at a profit with costs on. There are a lot of things you don't really get told, like you want to try to keep ride costs at $6 per "star" on the ride, or how making your queues look pretty (read, slamming enough props down on it) is super important, or how overtraining staff is a bad idea and you want to just train people who have "high" workload and then pay them more to ensure they don't leave when mad, or how you want to set up where they work with bigger parks to avoid all of them hanging around one place and...

Just play it in sandbox mode if you want to create pretty things.

Disappointing. I have very limited time with PC, because I was never really able to get into it the way I got into older RCT games. At least it seems it might not have been me. I just can't connect with sims that have weird arbitrary "solutions" that get in the way of having fun and don't seem to make sense. I'm sure the old SC games have weird solutions too, since crazy high pop towns and speedruns exist, but I never felt like the simulation was prohibitive, outside of SC4 I guess.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Went hogwild with the detailing for a couple of hours, forgot to save, and accidentally activated the tornado disaster:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Koesj posted:

Went hogwild with the detailing for a couple of hours, forgot to save, and accidentally activated the tornado disaster:

Well, as far as disaster areas go it looks really good.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

nielsm posted:

I'm not sure what happened here. I didn't place it.

But yes this was basically the easiest way to solve a traffic bottleneck from a highway.

I hope residents don't mind a little rumble from the basement.

Something else, I just picked up the game again after not having touched it for a year+ or so, went over my mods list and removed deprecated/broken ones, started a fresh city. But it seems my residential RICO buildings are all broken, every huge tower only houses a single family. Where do I begin looking for a fix? I'm also using the WG Realistic Population mod.

Green Cities update broke high-density RICO mod buildings (when using WG Realistic Pop) and the creator hasn't fixed it yet. There's a community patch which is a replacement for the whole mod until the guy updates it : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1204126182

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koesj posted:

This is why you don't buy the disasters DLC.
Although even without the DLC fires spread and flooding can demolish buildings and props. I did a ton of detailing then caused a huge tsunami with terraforming, normally this was no problem but post-disasters water actually ruined things. Nearly rage-quit. Did find a mod though that makes props and buildings 100% safe from such effects though!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Baronjutter posted:

Although even without the DLC fires spread and flooding can demolish buildings and props. I did a ton of detailing then caused a huge tsunami with terraforming, normally this was no problem but post-disasters water actually ruined things. Nearly rage-quit. Did find a mod though that makes props and buildings 100% safe from such effects though!

I need this mod.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cool now I can take my love for soviet apartment blocks and trams out of Skylines and into real life plus everyone at work now knows exactly what sort of nerd I am.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

serious gaylord posted:

I need this mod.

Screw that. I need a mod that lets me pump water off of flat land and back into the river, rather than stay around forever.

It's lovely how this game models the way a single puddle of accidentally-placed-water-pump-splashover to be slightly more permanent and debilitating to land usefulness than a nuclear meltdown.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

turn off the TV posted:

I don't understand viewing mods and content through the prism of "what sort of mental illness drove this person to make it"

Like I thought you were joking at first but it seems you're pretty serious. I'm sorry about your ADHD or whatever but uhh... why does it make you try to define human effort through the lens of pathology? Maybe you can simply have those thoughts instead of sharing them if that's 100% the way you see things.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't understand viewing mods and content through the prism of "what sort of mental illness drove this person to make it"

Like I thought you were joking at first but it seems you're pretty serious. I'm sorry about your ADHD or whatever but uhh... why does it make you try to define human effort through the lens of pathology? Maybe you can simply have those thoughts instead of sharing them if that's 100% the way you see things.

You're right, I'm sorry. It's a lot more likely that the dude is just a coke fiend.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Tippis posted:

Screw that. I need a mod that lets me pump water off of flat land and back into the river, rather than stay around forever.

It's lovely how this game models the way a single puddle of accidentally-placed-water-pump-splashover to be slightly more permanent and debilitating to land usefulness than a nuclear meltdown.

Yeah, I was one of those people who considered a city building game without disasters to be unfinished but clearly the Skylines engine just can't handle them.

It's amazing how SimCity with its UFO abductions and Godzilla attacks feels more believable than C:S having too much water sometimes.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

Cool now I can take my love for soviet apartment blocks and trams out of Skylines and into real life plus everyone at work now knows exactly what sort of nerd I am.

Can you post a few choice scans/pics of the book?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

Can you post a few choice scans/pics of the book?

Yeah I'll get some choice pages.
What's great though is that I'm recognizing a bunch of my skylines soviet apartment building assets and now understand the naming conventions and development/design histories.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's some of the more urban planning related stuff

Typical superblocks

Self-sufficient "microdistricts" centered around transit stops.

I've plopped this exact apartment so so many times. They have diagrams and plans like this for pretty much every design of apartment building ever built in the soviet union.

Cool cross sections

Lots of full page photos

And tons and tons of text only interesting to huge nerds

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Dang that's super interesting; looks a lot like some W. European high-rise projects from the 60s.

Haven't connected my elevated expressways to the network yet but these are starting to look pretty decent:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's looking fantastic

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

That looks great, Koesj. When I saw the thumbnail I thought "oh, that's the section of the 5 by Tustin." You captured that style perfectly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I wish that architectural history was more of a thing, it's actually really interesting once you start looking into it. One of the most interesting classes that I took in college was a general overview of Japan between 1860 and 1944, and we read a few books about architecture and urbanization that I can't remember the names of for the life of me. One of the most interesting things, which I ended up writing that class's research paper about, was the way that Western architecture was seen as being superior and more modern than traditional Japanese homes, in large part due to a belief that the age and permanence of a civilization's architecture was demonstrative of its values. Well to do Japanese suburbanites would try to have a guest room in their house that would be in Western style, complete with furnishings, and a lot of American and European firms were hired to build Western style buildings throughout the country.

However, the 1891 Mino–Owari earthquake destroyed a lot of the Western structures in the area, while traditional Japanese designs fared much better, starting a Japanese effort to design quake-proof buildings. When the 1906 earthquake hit San Francisco one of the members of the Japanese institute visited the site and evaluated the damage to various types of structures and where those structures were geographically situated. With the information that they had gathered a new set of standards were devised, with structures build after 1908 throughout the country adhering to them. When the 1923 Tokyo earthquake hit the Japanese designed buildings were largely undamaged, while those designed by western firms collapsed like they had in prior earthquakes. This was framed as a Japanese triumph over the west, and one of the many tools that the state used in promoting its nationalist ideology leading up to the Second World War.

That's a really good way of handling double decked streets, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that before.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

I wish that architectural history was more of a thing, it's actually really interesting once you start looking into it. One of the most interesting classes that I took in college was a general overview of Japan between 1860 and 1944, and we read a few books about architecture and urbanization that I can't remember the names of for the life of me. One of the most interesting things, which I ended up writing that class's research paper about, was the way that Western architecture was seen as being superior and more modern than traditional Japanese homes, in large part due to a belief that the age and permanence of a civilization's architecture was demonstrative of its values. Well to do Japanese suburbanites would try to have a guest room in their house that would be in Western style, complete with furnishings, and a lot of American and European firms were hired to build Western style buildings throughout the country.

However, the 1891 Mino–Owari earthquake destroyed a lot of the Western structures in the area, while traditional Japanese designs fared much better, starting a Japanese effort to design quake-proof buildings. When the 1906 earthquake hit San Francisco one of the members of the Japanese institute visited the site and evaluated the damage to various types of structures and where those structures were geographically situated. With the information that they had gathered a new set of standards were devised, with structures build after 1908 throughout the country adhering to them. When the 1923 Tokyo earthquake hit the Japanese designed buildings were largely undamaged, while those designed by western firms collapsed like they had in prior earthquakes. This was framed as a Japanese triumph over the west, and one of the many tools that the state used in promoting its nationalist ideology leading up to the Second World War.

That's a really good way of handling double decked streets, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that before.

There's a story in the book about a huge earthquake that killed like 100,000 people, but most all the soviet built buildings survived, it was just the local traditional mud-brick stuff that turned into piles of dust. This was seen as a triumph of soviet progress and that local traditions and materials need to be swept away by modern methods. They did a lot of seismic research going forward though when they started to design buildings with a crazy idea that different regions/countries might have different needs rather than a one design fits all approach. In countries with earthquake risks there was more structural reinforcements, in hot climates higher ceilings were allowed, in cold climates larger apartments (due to being stuck indoors more) were allowed as well as better insulation and smaller windows.

What I found most interesting were the use of local art and design motifs. Soviet housing in russia was mostly drab and boring, but the stuff built in some of the muslim republics incorporated all sorts of islamic art and arches and looked pretty ok. With some colour and art these huge apartment block areas can be fine.

What's also interesting is all the urban planning stuff. Cars were never going to be available to everyone but at the same time a worker's utopia should have everything within a safe walking distance. So you got these micro-districts where you'd have a few super-blocks of apartments but they'd be self-contained in terms of services. A school, a clinic, some shops, a daycare, lots of green space and playgrounds for kids, and transit to get you to work. Apparently this actually was quite successful as everyone I know who grew up in such districts remember them quite fondly. People wouldn't lock their doors, very young kids could freely wander in and out and travel within the superblock safely due to the lack of traffic and park-like setting. Neighbours knew each other, kids all knew each other. As ugly as the developments looked, they managed to foster a real sense of local community.

And that's all stuff I wish skylines modeled more. I don't care about herses, tell me if a neighbourhood is pleasant, show me that people are happy because they have a short pleasant walk to work rather than a long drive. Have people drawn to that pleasant shopping street because it's pleasant. Let people gain a benefit from schools being distributed well and kids feeling safe to bike to schools due to the good infrastructure. I want to see how my nice urban planning is actually appreciated by the people who live there.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
tryna make an olympic park but i can't make things look grandiose enough

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Baronjutter posted:

poo poo, I bought the disasters DLC because it was on sale a couple of weeks ago. Now, even though I have random disasters turned off, every time I turn around a forested hillside turns into a firestorm. At least it grows back.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

That's why I play with weather and disasters off. No lightning strikes, no forest fire, just me and my helicopters keeping the peace.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Koesj posted:

Oh wow, I love the post apocalyptic feel going on in there!

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
I forgot to ask -- is there a mod or a way of granular budgeting? For example, setting trash, medical, school budgets per district instead of for the whole map? Or at least a way to segregate each district by having services within the district only service that district?

I really miss the SC4 budget mechanic where you could set budgets for individual schools, hospitals, etc..

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

give me thread posted:

I forgot to ask -- is there a mod or a way of granular budgeting? For example, setting trash, medical, school budgets per district instead of for the whole map? Or at least a way to segregate each district by having services within the district only service that district?

I really miss the SC4 budget mechanic where you could set budgets for individual schools, hospitals, etc..

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1181352643
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1186889659
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1186900508

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Brilliant! Thank you, I'll give these a go.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

give me thread posted:

If you wanted to make slums and neglect citizens there's probably a more direct mod for that. :v:

Oh god. Playing RimWorld has broken me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

give me thread posted:

Oh wow, I love the post apocalyptic feel going on in there!

Yeah my first thought was "drat, Fallout city lookin' amazing" haha

Also speaking of SC4: https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30883-sc4fix-third-party-patches-for-sc4/

Crazy genius has fixed prop pox.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

My current bonsai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ms Adequate posted:

Crazy genius has fixed prop pox.

Holy hell. I remember the awful, bitter drama when Pegasus' umbrella props were used as an example of the root cause of Prop Pox.