Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

dragon enthusiast posted:

Basically the MH world is a postwar post-post apocalyptic world and all the monsters are descendents of bioengineered living weapons

I forgot if I made this up but I think large portions of the earths core were destroyed and that's why gravity is so low and you can do a bunch of superhuman poo poo

I think that second part might be speculation to also explain why the fauna is so huge.

My favorite fanon for that is that the hunters are all distant descendants of the Captain America-like super soldiers engineered to fight against dragons in the apocalypse war, and that's why they're all super strong and durable.

Another fun idea is that those suits of armor, weird enchanted jewelry, and weapons all made from monster parts somehow imbues the hunter with superhuman might, but that falls apart mostly for Naked Hunters :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Basically the MH world is a postwar post-post apocalyptic world and all the monsters are descendents of bioengineered living weapons

I forgot if I made this up but I think large portions of the earths core were destroyed and that's why gravity is so low and you can do a bunch of superhuman poo poo

I love this.

BEHOLD, THE ULTIMATE WEAPON, THE PINNACLE OF MY WORK. HARBINGER OF DEATH...LAGOMBI

*loving stupid rabbit waddles out*

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

It's a super weird feeling to be going into a new Monster Hunter without knowing absolutely everything from people translating Japanese copies. I like it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

It's a super weird feeling to be going into a new Monster Hunter without knowing absolutely everything from people translating Japanese copies. I like it.

:same:

I spent an inordinate amount of time pouring over the Japanese material leading up to Generations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Emron posted:

I love this.

BEHOLD, THE ULTIMATE WEAPON, THE PINNACLE OF MY WORK. HARBINGER OF DEATH...LAGOMBI

*loving stupid rabbit waddles out*

Khezu is definitely some 'bring your kid to work day and maybe let them hit some buttons' level stuff.

Jimmy you didn't even put eyes on it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always liked the idea that the companions are the actual Monster Hunters, using and manipulating us like tools.

Doesn't hold up in multiplayer, but multiplayer is outside of canon in enough games I can buy it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Khezu is definitely some 'bring your kid to work day and maybe let them hit some buttons' level stuff.

Jimmy you didn't even put eyes on it.

Gore Magala is what the 15-year-old bullied whiz kid intern cranked out. His original name was xXX_DarkGore_xXx but they talked him out of it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I was musing about taking Friday off of work to dive into MonHun and my SO said "must be nice" since she spent all her PTO giving birth/caring for our child and while she was definitely being snarky I realized that yes, it IS nice and put in my time off request. I may sleep in an icy bed but my Friday lunch is going to be ~so tasty!~

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I was musing about taking Friday off of work to dive into MonHun and my SO said "must be nice" since she spent all her PTO giving birth/caring for our child and while she was definitely being snarky I realized that yes, it IS nice and put in my time off request. I may sleep in an icy bed but my Friday lunch is going to be ~so tasty!~

youre married to the guildmarm now, with a fulltime fur baby palico

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Deviljho was designed by an 11 year old that wanted to make the coolest dinosaur ever. With laser breath!

He's the best :allears:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Deviljho was designed by an 11 year old that wanted to make the coolest dinosaur ever. With laser breath!

I played through my first MH game with a friend who told me nothing about Deviljho, so I was laughing at his stupid bullfrog-looking rear end, then he went into enrage and wiped me off the face of the earth.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LawfulWaffle posted:

Ask your SO what's worse: taking PTO to play a video game, or bringing a child into a society that doesn't provide mandatory family leave for new parents. Just radicalize the heck out of her.

(dont' do this, it's not worth the weird fight)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I'd say five year old who loved both Dinosaurs and Pickles.

and was also really hungry at the time.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah this is what I was talking about with the art book from the first game. Equal dragon weapon and the great dragon war were concepts that never made it into the game

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah this is what I was talking about with the art book from the first game. Equal dragon weapon and the great dragon war were concepts that never made it into the game

Some of the cut poo poo from the art book is awesome. I like the armorset that’s just a swarm of bugs that you can control. Another armorset that’s a bunch of paper charms that fall off as you get hit, or you can purposefully take them off in order to cast spells and poo poo. There were lots of cool ideas that unfortunately got dropped by the wayside. Doubt they'd fit in the game, but it makes me wish the Mosnter Hunter team would start a new series to implement some new ideas that wouldn't work in MH.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
im still waiting for the boomerang weapon to get added to the game

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zelda costumes are out.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Boomerang was cool but I'd rather have that dog weapon. Like the IG but better! :woof:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Boomerang was cool but I'd rather have that dog weapon. Like the IG but better! :woof:

Okay, but only if the dog gets little suits of armor that match what the weapon is made out of.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's one weapon I could see as a worthy addition to Monster Hunter. I'm talking weapons based on the 6 foot hunting boomerangs the Aboriginal people hunted with.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You could have 6' boomerangs in Generations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SettingSun posted:

That's one weapon I could see as a worthy addition to Monster Hunter. I'm talking weapons based on the 6 foot hunting boomerangs the Aboriginal people hunted with.

The boomerang weapon they sketched up was actually a combination of a huge boomerang and boxing gloves. You could throw the boomerang and then punch the monster as it was in flight, or punch the boomerang as it returned to you to send it back out at a different angle.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Do all the monsters in Monster Hunter fit the dinosaur aesthetic?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I watched some lore video that quoted the developers saying that they were very reluctant to make a world map for Monster Hunter. Like, they had this very pure idea of little human fighting big monsters and using monster parts to make cool equipment. That there's a story at all is a concession they probably made late in development, and I really like how there's this history that's way, way in the background to the rest of the game. At the same time, that history allows for technicolor great swords and drill hammers, to say nothing of "bow" guns, while staring blankly at the lore-obsessed player before taking the MST3k approach of "it's just a game and you should probably just relax."

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Triarii posted:

The boomerang weapon they sketched up was actually a combination of a huge boomerang and boxing gloves. You could throw the boomerang and then punch the monster as it was in flight, or punch the boomerang as it returned to you to send it back out at a different angle.

This rules and I'm sad now that I don't get to do that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ChrisBTY posted:

Some are more distinctly dragons. There are also giant apes and bear-like creatures, and giant insects and crabs. Not sure how many of those made it into World, if any.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The apes poo poo and fart at you, so you know GOAT.

the farts make you gag and you cant eat or drink anything until you fix the stank status

Also a giant snowbunny.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

No, there’s also wacky ones, like giant [bug, crab, rabbit, etc], a monkey that literally goes super saiyan, kecha wacha which is like a silly clown monkey that will gently caress you up, literal unicorn, electric dog, a shark/frog mix, all sorts of weird poo poo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ChrisBTY posted:

Dinosaurs are basically animals today but loving huge. MHW does have some inventive monsters that stray from the concept of dragons and lizards, like the paolumu

Dragons and t-rexes are easily marketable though so it's no surprise they dominate mindshare for the game. There are a lot more variety than most would think

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
MHXX had a final boss that was a mantis-like creature that piloted a giant mech of itself made from weapon and armor scraps that it glued together and controlled puppet-like using strands of its own silk from inside it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Pretty much all the returning monsters are dragons or Trex except for the lava fish, Chimera and Lightning Unicorn.

Some of the new monsters break the mold too like the bat puff-ball, skinned wolf and giant chameleon

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

MHXX had a final boss that was a mantis-like creature that piloted a giant mech of itself made from weapon and armor scraps that it glued together and controlled puppet-like using strands of its own silk from inside it.

What the gently caress, this is cool as hell.

The first hunt of HR in 4u was a crab, and I remember feeling like hot poo poo, I just soloed Gore Magala and now I have to fight a crab?

The crab wrecked me.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

Nah

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
MHX also had a giant squid piloting dead dragon skeletons around and usung them to do various iconic attacks and beams.

The fact it actually is a squid is a hufe reveal because everyone just reported it as a terrifying two headed dragon loving things up.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zore posted:

MHX also had a giant squid piloting dead dragon skeletons around and usung them to do various iconic attacks and beams.

The fact it actually is a squid is a hufe reveal because everyone just reported it as a terrifying two headed dragon loving things up.

And XX has a bug who makes its own giant robot out of trash!

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
A lot of the coolest monsters aren't dinos/dragons, like Lagombi, Seltas Queen, and everyone's fave Nibelsnarf!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I apologize for my rudeness, but lagombi sucks rear end.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zore posted:

Nakarkos is one of my all-time favorites. I hope it comes back sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i consider Royal Ludroth more of a sponge granted sentience than a dragon, so they count too