Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Platystemon posted:

lol if you don’t season with reagent grade glacial acetic acid.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Harder to get in small amounts than you might expect. :thunk:

My bottle, which I use to fumigate beehive equipment, keeps showing up in OSHA areas as my partner tries to helpfully tidy. Right next to actual condiments is not an appropriate storage location for glacial acetic acid.

OK, serious question here from a somewhat Chemistry literate keyboard jockey... why is it "glacial"? Are there acetic acid glaciers on this planet somewhere that produce this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

This will never not be amazing to me.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

OK, serious question here from a somewhat Chemistry literate keyboard jockey... why is it "glacial"? Are there acetic acid glaciers on this planet somewhere that produce this stuff?

Pure enough (and low enough water content) acetic acid freezes to solid phase somewhere under 62 F/ 16.7 C. It's a dated way of referring to the stuff, basically.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Pure enough (and low enough water content) acetic acid freezes to solid phase somewhere under 62 F/ 16.7 C. It's a dated way of referring to the stuff, basically.

So you're saying that if there were acetic acid glaciers we wouldn't need winter coats to visit them? Neat.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Kith posted:

This will never not be amazing to me.

The bricks are probably just cosmetic and the wrap is just there to keep them from cluttering the sidewalk while they wait for the masons.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Facebook Aunt posted:

So you're saying that if there were acetic acid glaciers we wouldn't need winter coats to visit them? Neat.

What did you think was at the edge of the flat-earth equater?

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

tactlessbastard posted:

The bricks are probably just cosmetic and the wrap is just there to keep them from cluttering the sidewalk while they wait for the masons.
This. If you look, you can sorta see the actual pole through the plastic.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RandomPauI posted:

An oldie but goodie. Whatever happened to that whole setup?

They got the real backup generator setup installed by the same electrician who did that poo poo.

Basically the big generator we had to provide backup power to one suite was dead, and that suite housed most of our networks equipment.

They decided to pull up a mobile generator to the warehouse door nearest that suite, and tied in the other generator.

So if network suite went out, they wanted me to disconnect it from the main breaker, turn on the generator, apply power. It works fine IN THEORY but I wasn't about to be the dude who backfed 30kw or whatever to Nevada Power, nor be the skeleton fused to that panel.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Not added later. It's Minecraft and hasn't loaded in yet :v:

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

I was in 2nd grade, or close to it, when Mr. Yuk debuted. The commercials to scare kids out of drinking stuff with Mr. Yuk on it freaked me the gently caress out.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

how to protect against mudslides

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Man, covered bridges ain't what they used to be.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Any clue where that is? It sorta looks like the wildlife bridge on US 93 in Montana while under construction.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Cross post from the schadenfreude thread.

Lime Tonics posted:

corn bin broke.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Memento posted:

Also trending on Yelp for Birds.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Any clue where that is? It sorta looks like the wildlife bridge on US 93 in Montana while under construction.

GIS says it's a quality funny.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Memento posted:

You know that I think about it a corn bin, has a lot of similarities to a atmospheric tank holding liquid....

So what standard govern corn.. bins? (Is there some Agricultural/Architectual standard similar to ASME or API in that regard?)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 23, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Believe it or not but garbage bag is a serious business way to collect gas samples around 1atm.

Not that that is what he is doing but you know, just so you have the option if you want to take a 1atm gas sample somewhere.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Senor P. posted:

You know that I think about it a corn bin, has a lot of similarities to a atmospheric tank holding liquid....

So what standard govern corn.. bins? (Is there some Agricultural/Architectual standard similar to ASME or APi in that regard?)

normally they are supposed to look like this,

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Say Nothing posted:

GIS says it's a quality funny.

:golfclap:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

GotLag posted:

Substituting a ~20% acetic acid solution with a ~20% acetic acid solution? Scandalous!

This is the same industry that pushes for laws prohibiting calling the exact same product, produced by the same method, the same thing because it was made in a different location.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Memento posted:

*Lady from B-52s voice

"Coooorn tank...

...Busted"

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Memento posted:

I have a feeling there might be some people in that corn.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
New WorksafeBC vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2GYL95FL3c
thanks to this thread i now have a healthy fear of confined spaces

(fakeedit: also ty Three-Phase I've learned a lot about the chained demon that is electricity from you).

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Memento posted:

Gentlemen, behold.... more corn!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Senor P. posted:

So what standard govern corn.. bins? (Is there some Agricultural/Architectual standard similar to ASME or API in that regard?)

No idea, but I know when you get outside of places with building codes and inspectors you can do this:

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
wanna work in the corn silo office

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you don't have to be corny to work here, but it helps

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Isn't that for mudslides/snow?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Twist And Pout! posted:

wanna work in the corn silo office

I always thought it would be cool to make a house or office on top of those huge concrete silos.

This is an abandoned concrete silo a couple of hours from where I live. You can obviously build on top of them, I'm surprised more people don't.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Only if you convert the grain elevator to a slide.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Gorilla Salad posted:

I always thought it would be cool to make a house or office on top of those huge concrete silos.

This is an abandoned concrete silo a couple of hours from where I live. You can obviously build on top of them, I'm surprised more people don't.

I'm pretty sure I murdered some Raiders here in Fallout 4.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah, that one's been around and spliced and over to the main house and spliced and painted over the old cord. So good.

What? There's a surge protector. You all are so picky about "code" and "safety"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hot from the China thread:

https://i.imgur.com/Wdtu6VU.mp4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Collateral Damage posted:

Only if you convert the grain elevator to a slide.

Giant batpole to get down to ground level.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Gorilla Salad posted:

I don't know about grain silos, but the next-door neighbour of a family friend in Brisbane, Australia, is an old concrete water tower. It looks a lot like a smaller version of a grain bin, just a big concrete cylinder about 40 feet tall and maybe 25 feet diameter. Decades ago it was bought by somebody and converted into a house - they cut windows and doors out (the concrete is at least a foot thick) and basically installed an entire house interior inside.

Presumably there are considerations and precautions you have to take when you do this kind of conversion that increase the cost, so that scream of a deal on an abandoned industrial facility might not be that much of a good deal once you start paying for things like power, water, and sewage hook-ups and proper weather-sealing. But it's certainly possible.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I have a feeling that he is gonna have trouble seeing after that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Applesnots posted:

I have a feeling that he is gonna have trouble seeing after that.

:stare: Did that melt off his nose?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Did that melt off his nose?!

No, he was already Asian