Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'd say Mamluks are better for a beginner than the Ottomans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Traxis posted:

I'd say Mamluks are better for a beginner than the Ottomans.

No, Ottomans are definitely still easier, even after the nerf. Mainly because they never have to fight the Ottomans.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ottomans can basically lose hellwars and bounce back with no problem. It's easy af to take over Anatolia and the Balkans and you're quite powerful and resilient with just those core regions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Mamluks start with slightly higher development, but their effective development (modified by autonomy) and development per province are both trash. The Ottos have 319 development over 35 provinces, while the Mamluks have 339 development over 44 provinces. The Ottos start off well under their state limit and can upgrade to empire rank after they take Constantinople, while the Mamluks start off over their state limit, so anything they annex will only be 1/4 as effective. The Mamluks start off with two lovely vassals that eat up half their diplo relation cap for the first 10 years. Ottoman ideas are without a doubt better than Mamluk ideas.

The only thing the Mamluks really have going for them is their special government, which is admittedly fantastic, but only if you know what you're doing and can overcome all your handicaps.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Does anyone have any tips for uniting the Maya? I'm not sure how much I should be rushing and breaking truces and such. Also the Nahuatl states keep declaring war on the aztecs, losing, and getting vassalized in the peace deal, so it's kinda hard to stop a big aztec murder alliance from forming. Should I be spending more time when I'm at my pre-reform, 20 state stage stomping on all the Nahuatl states? Should I slow down? I've been passing reform #2 by about 1497 or 98.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I decided to try a game in Mesoamerica as Xiu and it was going fine. I was in like 1600 missing 1 reform and not seeing any actual European land. The occasional ship would be sailing by.
Then France fabricates a claim on a province of mine and declares war immediately landing 30k troops to my 16k.

GG nextmap, noob.

Guess I'll find somewhere else to play next time. I had just gotten a bit bored by Europe and India.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

MrBling posted:

Guess I'll find somewhere else to play next time. I had just gotten a bit bored by Europe and India.

Middle east is pretty great now, between the inevitable Ottoman / Mamluk conflict and the gigantic Timurid and Persian clusterfucks there's a lot of poo poo happening in the early years. Or you can start in Arabia and form a nice colonial empire in Africa and SEA without even having to get involved with the big boys.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

spectralent posted:

Wait, wait, cavalry are useless?

Fister Roboto posted:

Cavalry are not useless. Literally nobody has said that.

As far as my ongoing Japanese playthrough is going (minor update: Now my beautiful child Japanese Australia is a colonial nation TAKE THAT BRUNEI AND MAMLUKS), I've pretty much only relied on regular infantry. I try to maintain a standing army as close to my force limit as possible for the sake of deterrence, and the cost of maintenance for cavalry was especially unpalatable early game, and now that I'm making money hand over fist (at least, 60 gold counts as that for me, since I started as the Uesegi) I feel like I need an extra plantation more than I need the cavalry bonuses. Of course, I might not be min-maxing my game to optimum stategery, so take that as you will.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Somewhat relatedly, since I'm around 1650 and will probably be finishing up this game in the next week or two, I'm debating between starting another game as the Ming or Jan Mayen, or cracking open one of the mods. I'm eyeing the extended timeline one especially, and am curious if anyone's played that one and what they think of it, but I'm also game for people's recommendations for mods in general.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Been playing around with the new DLCs I bought, it's kinda frustrating not being able to call anybody in to a war. Is there a faster way to get favors than just waiting idly for a decade? I can't promise them land because I'm Mali and I want to invade Jolof and sadly there's no way to promise Jolof's Allies' land.

edit: never mind, I just need to rethink my approach. I can attack Jolof's ally and bring everyone in that way

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 22, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Is there a faster way to get favors than just waiting idly for a decade?

Help your allies in their wars, you'll get favours based on your contribution. Of course, that requires them calling you to war in the first place. You can also get favours by giving your allies land in peace deals (any land if you called them in with favours, more land than they expect from their contribution if you called them in with a promise of land) but this of course requires you being able to call them in in the first place.

Also passive favour generation is based on your size relative to theirs. If you're roughly even you get one favour per year, but if they're significantly bigger it'll be slower and vice versa. So it's not always a decade, you can speed it up somewhat if you're able to grow or develop rapidly.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 22, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I have called in an ally to a war where I don't actually want anything just to build up ten favors to burn on a war where I can get everything I want.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
On a side note, I feel like the favors system has the basic problem that I literally never care about having more than 10 favors. Anybody else feel the same way?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s no point in stockpiling favors but luckily there’s two ways you can spend the excess and both are situationally pretty good.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So my shimazu shogunate got legs yesterday. That was a relief. So many tries before I managed to get past that hump of taking Kyoto.

Figured out I'd just go over the relations limt like a fucker and get everyone on my side.

Now I'm happily colonising the Pacific while slowly gobbling up Japanese daimyos and making new ones. Should i grab Australia before the us east coast?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

East Coast USA is loving awful for an Asian colonizer if you care about trade income, all of the nodes funnel outwards towards Europe.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Japanese colonial game is colonising the Philippines, then indonesia, eating the malaysians in the meantime, then move your trade capital to malacca and collect every ducat. Australia is not very good and shouldn't really be prioritised, but it would be a better pick than the Americas imo.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I savescummed like a loser but it's my first time trying a playthrough that isn't on easy mode and Mesoamerica is hard anyway so I ain't ashamed :colbert:

What a rush, though. Portugal + Castille declared on me, but in the two or three months it took them to mass their forces my gulf coast colony finally completed and I got a shared border with Portugal's gulf colonies, and I was able to reform the religion and use my huge pile of military points to jump up to military parity with the Europeans. I briefly became the (weakest) great power for a few months, took all of Portugal's Mexican colonies, repelled a Castilian invasion, and peaced out with all of Portuguese Mexico under my control. I think I'm going to need to go eat Panama next, or I'll have to deal with Portuguese California in a few decades.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Colonising Australia is good because once the CN reaches 10 provinces you get an extra merchant, and they'll gradually increase their trade output as they grow.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
What's the best way to keep up diplo points whilst trying to annex a large PU and WC at the same time? 1640 HRE run with a PU over Spain and Commonwealth with a bunch of vassals along the Europe/Asia boundary to feed. I noticed I had a -80% chance to inherit Spain due to their size and wanted to make sure I had all of their African and American lands before Imperialism kicks in.

On a side note, it has been fun sitting on the Ottomans during the peace process to watch them blow-up with rebels and drain their manpower.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

mobius42 posted:

What's the best way to keep up diplo points whilst trying to annex a large PU and WC at the same time? 1640 HRE run with a PU over Spain and Commonwealth with a bunch of vassals along the Europe/Asia boundary to feed. I noticed I had a -80% chance to inherit Spain due to their size and wanted to make sure I had all of their African and American lands before Imperialism kicks in.

On a side note, it has been fun sitting on the Ottomans during the peace process to watch them blow-up with rebels and drain their manpower.

keep power projection high, overspend on diplo advisers, use the promotion feature here to get the extra birds, and jettison the ballasts of pointless alliances you may have. you can exploit the estates for a pinch if you are worried about dropping too low

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Tahirovic posted:

Colonising Australia is good because once the CN reaches 10 provinces you get an extra merchant, and they'll gradually increase their trade output as they grow.

Can confirm that thanks to Colonial Japanese australia and my ideas, I've got like seven merchants and I'm making 100 gold per month in the early 1700s and I'm LOVING IT.

I've got all level 3 advisors and a navy to match France and my tech almost caught up to them--poo poo is good, man.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Alaska, California and maybe even Mexico can be other decent CNs for an Asian colonizer, it all depends if you want to go east for NA and control Malacca or west to control the Cape.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mobius42 posted:

admin + influence gives you roughly -59% reduction altogether. admin tech 27 and 90 absolutism brings that up to -86%. so hold off probably

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Tahirovic posted:

Alaska, California and maybe even Mexico can be other decent CNs for an Asian colonizer, it all depends if you want to go east for NA and control Malacca or west to control the Cape.

What is the bridge point for jumping to the cape/from Africa? The south Indian country is huge pretty early, I'm looking to make it to the spice islands eventually in my Ethiopia game and it's hard to see where I can go to bridge the gap.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What is the bridge point for jumping to the cape/from Africa? The south Indian country is huge pretty early, I'm looking to make it to the spice islands eventually in my Ethiopia game and it's hard to see where I can go to bridge the gap.

According to the EU4 wiki under Colonization strategies:
Diego Garcia to Cocos Island: 187
Cocos Island to Christmas Island: 86

This requires Overseas Exploration from Exploration Ideas and Diplo tech 3.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 22, 2018

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Hard to say, since India is so unpredictable that by the time you get there, pretty much anyone could be in charge. A no CB on the Maldives usually works, though, considering they're isolated as hell diplomatically, and I think they're usually within range. If Ceylon manages to stick around, they're pretty useful, too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i keep seeing the maldives get annexed by one of the two indian powers there

feller
Jul 5, 2006

oddium posted:

admin + influence gives you roughly -59% reduction altogether. admin tech 27 and 90 absolutism brings that up to -86%. so hold off probably

Wait does coring cost reduction lower the diplo annexation cost? I can’t believe I never knew that

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Senor Dog posted:

Wait does coring cost reduction lower the diplo annexation cost? I can’t believe I never knew that

No, there's a policy if you have admin + influence which gives more diplo annex cost reduction.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

according to the wiki the formula is 8 * development * admin efficiency * annex cost mods * core cost reduction

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what's the recommended nation to play in the south america/peru region

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oddium posted:

according to the wiki the formula is 8 * development * admin efficiency * annex cost mods * core cost reduction

Nah, the last part is only local core cost modifiers, aka hostile core creation cost. The core creation cost from admin ideas (or any other source) doesn't factor into diplo annexation at all.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh that makes sense. i thought it sounded weird. hostile core creation sucks and messes everything up again

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AnoHito posted:

Hard to say, since India is so unpredictable that by the time you get there, pretty much anyone could be in charge. A no CB on the Maldives usually works, though, considering they're isolated as hell diplomatically, and I think they're usually within range. If Ceylon manages to stick around, they're pretty useful, too.
If you can get to Diego Garcia, you can fabricate a claim on the Maldives, as well. But that kind of defeats the purpose of what you're proposing, of course.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oddium posted:

hostile core creation sucks and messes everything up again

:yeah:

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

keep power projection high, overspend on diplo advisers, use the promotion feature here to get the extra birds, and jettison the ballasts of pointless alliances you may have. you can exploit the estates for a pinch if you are worried about dropping too low

I may go ahead and cancel integration for now to finish filling out my influence idea noted above. I'll have to check when I get back, but I think Ming may be my only valid rival for power projection now and I haven't quite snaked over to him yet. Last I looked, it seemed like Ming was getting gobbled up by Bengal.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

No, there's a policy if you have admin + influence which gives more diplo annex cost reduction.

Oh okay I feel less dumb now

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I'm playing an all random game.

Random New World, No Lucky Nations, Custom Nation in a random layout start with dynamic country names. It's really fun!

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the monarchs when I designed my 200pt OPM, so ended up with a kind of weak heir who was really close in age to my decent starting ruler. Shortly after the first of Lisboa Duke died, I had a 60 year old 2/1/2 on the throne with no heir. Immediately, a 3/5/4 pretender spawned so I thought "hmm, this is my chance to learn about how to lose to rebels".

And as I left my armies out of the way to allow the rebels to languidly make their way to starting to think about possibly sieging the capital, a birth announcement — a new 6/6/6 18 year old heir with a weak claim.

And that's how the Dutchy of Lisboa saw two major revolutions put down in the same year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

oddium posted:

i keep seeing the maldives get annexed by one of the two indian powers there

Me too. Its so sad. Leave them alone! They aren't hurting anyone!

Node fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 22, 2018